Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Athlon 860K, any one picking it up?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Athlon 860K, any one picking it up? - Page 245

post #2441 of 3195
Well it could be the game finally uses 4T and as such it suffers when you try to benchmark with it. >_>'
post #2442 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by drmrlordx View Post

It's possible, it's just weird. At least one AT poster with an A10-6700 reported better performance than what the reviewer got running Kaveri APUs, though it still wasn't very pretty.
I found this video on YT comparing JC3 with 7870K and Iris Pro https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3mR6IQLYPEI its not fantastic frames, but definitely looks playable.
Edited by 7850K - 1/29/16 at 5:12pm
Summit Ridge
(16 items)
 
ASUS R510DP
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1600X ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 HIS Radeon HD7870 IceQ 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 CL16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M6S Plus 256GB SSD Toshiba X300 6TB Toshiba X300 6TB Toshiba 2TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool BETA 400 ST Windows 8.1 Pro x64 HP S2031 20" Samsung SyncMaster 932BW 19" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic S12G 750w Lian Li full tower Logitech MX310 SteelSeries 4HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-5750m 3.5Ghz ASUStek A75M FCH HD 8650G + HD 8670M dual graphics 2x4GB Samsung 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Toshiba Q300 SSD 120GB Panasonic CD/DVD Windows 8.1 Pro 15.6" 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
Summit Ridge
(16 items)
 
ASUS R510DP
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1600X ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 HIS Radeon HD7870 IceQ 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 CL16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M6S Plus 256GB SSD Toshiba X300 6TB Toshiba X300 6TB Toshiba 2TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool BETA 400 ST Windows 8.1 Pro x64 HP S2031 20" Samsung SyncMaster 932BW 19" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic S12G 750w Lian Li full tower Logitech MX310 SteelSeries 4HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-5750m 3.5Ghz ASUStek A75M FCH HD 8650G + HD 8670M dual graphics 2x4GB Samsung 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Toshiba Q300 SSD 120GB Panasonic CD/DVD Windows 8.1 Pro 15.6" 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2443 of 3195
[quote name="jsc1973" url="/t/1514009/athlon-860k-any-one-picking-it-up/2400_100#post_24837634"

Where's that Intel troll from last week who said the A88X-PRO wasn't any good because it wasn't a ROG board? kookoo.gif[/quote]


Yeah, the guy who said just because The Stilt said that the A88X-PRO and Crossblade Ranger were functionally the same minus the nic and audio didn't mean it was true! What a knucklehead that guy was.

wink.gif


I apologize for messing up the quoting.
post #2444 of 3195
I got pulled into a trap by an Intel fanboy. I was trying to help him out b/c he came into an Athlon but he didn't know performance. I told him and provided all the facts and this idiot uses CPUBoss on me and says I don't know what I'm talking about.

Well that got me thinking, there's very poor evidence of the 860K doing anything. I mean we talk about the fact that it's equivalent to the i3-4170/i5-2320/i5-2500 but videos on YT are all noob users who run Ultra settings on GPUs they have no business using Ultra settings on. Further, game benchmarkers use Ultra settings to test to see where CPUs fall, but none of them try to show the usable results, which is what people are always clueless on.

They see the benchmarks, lets say 30fps on Ultra, then YT to find it gets 30FPS on Ultra. But what they don't know is that you can get 60 (or somewhere in the middle) by tuning settings. They think 60FPS on an 860K is a myth.

So what I plan to do from this point forward is make videos and document game performance. My only concern is that recording using AMD VCE still takes frames away (on my last run, it dropped from 60 to 45 at 1080P). I might have to get a separate capture card or whatnot. Any resolution under 1080P seems fine though.
post #2445 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by syl1979 View Post

All the next Bios from Sept.2015 were buggy on my A88XM Plus, and introduce impossiblity to revert back.......

Not true.
You can revert back if you have the right tools.
http://www.ebay.com/itm/NANO-USB-Programmer-for-PC-M-B-BIOS-repairing-with-Economic-shipping-/271313593344?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item3f2b8ce400

I grabbed one of these sometime back and I'll just say it's paid for itself several times over.
Maybe a little bit annoying to learn how to setup and use initially but once you do figure it out you'll love it.
Makes recovering from such stuff like this or a corrupted/crashed BIOS a real breeze.
Smeg-O-Rama
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Crosshair V-Z Some old piece of smeg that actually works...? C.R.S. 
CoolingMonitorPower
Scythe Susanoo Asus VH238-H 23' LCD 1600 little pink bunnies with drums..... 
  hide details  
Reply
Smeg-O-Rama
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX-8300 Crosshair V-Z Some old piece of smeg that actually works...? C.R.S. 
CoolingMonitorPower
Scythe Susanoo Asus VH238-H 23' LCD 1600 little pink bunnies with drums..... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2446 of 3195
Interesting little tools. Didn't knew about this. May try to get one just for fun. How is it working? You put your bios rom chip on the key and use another computer to reprogram ?
post #2447 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by syl1979 View Post

Interesting little tools. Didn't knew about this. May try to get one just for fun. How is it working? You put your bios rom chip on the key and use another computer to reprogram ?

EzFlash doesn´t allow you to downgrade? What´s the actual error message it gives? You could also try to downgrade with BUpdater (DOS).

If neither of those methods work, you can try with Flashrom (DOS). Regardless if the previous methods work, if you have the time could you please test with Flashrom if it detects your flash chip? The command for Flashrom is "flashrom -p internal". That command just checks if there are any compatible flash devices available, it doesn´t write anything. ASUS uses a special method to program the flash on some of their boards, so if the same method is used on your board Flashrom will give an error related to "SPIHostAccessRomEn".

For the two DOS based programs, you can create a bootable MS-DOS USB stick with Rufus
post #2448 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeerox View Post

I got pulled into a trap by an Intel fanboy. I was trying to help him out b/c he came into an Athlon but he didn't know performance. I told him and provided all the facts and this idiot uses CPUBoss on me and says I don't know what I'm talking about.

Well that got me thinking, there's very poor evidence of the 860K doing anything. I mean we talk about the fact that it's equivalent to the i3-4170/i5-2320/i5-2500 but videos on YT are all noob users who run Ultra settings on GPUs they have no business using Ultra settings on. Further, game benchmarkers use Ultra settings to test to see where CPUs fall, but none of them try to show the usable results, which is what people are always clueless on.

They see the benchmarks, lets say 30fps on Ultra, then YT to find it gets 30FPS on Ultra. But what they don't know is that you can get 60 (or somewhere in the middle) by tuning settings. They think 60FPS on an 860K is a myth.

So what I plan to do from this point forward is make videos and document game performance. My only concern is that recording using AMD VCE still takes frames away (on my last run, it dropped from 60 to 45 at 1080P). I might have to get a separate capture card or whatnot. Any resolution under 1080P seems fine though.

Encoding high quality gameplay video definitely is a weakness for the Athlon, and all CPUs with 4 cores or less really. Capture card is indeed your best bet. If I recall, I could normally do ultra settings on Far Cry 3 and mostly stay close to 60FPS, but once I started recording FPS just tanked into the 30s as CPU usage on all cores was then pegged at 100%.
Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
Light Gamer #1
(12 items)
 
Light Gamer #2
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i3-6100 ASRock Fatal1ty Z170 Gaming K4/D3 MSI r7850 TFIII OC MSI r7850 TFIII OC 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
G,Skill TridentX OCZ Vector 150 TPC-612 Windows 10 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G105 Rosewill Capstone 550M HAF XB M570 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Athlon 860K MSI A88X-G45 MSI GTX 460 G.Skill RipjawsZ 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
PNY Optima Hyper T4 Windows 10 Devastator 2 
PowerCase
Rosewill Valens DIYPC Ranger-R4-R 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2449 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by damric View Post

Encoding high quality gameplay video definitely is a weakness for the Athlon, and all CPUs with 4 cores or less really. Capture card is indeed your best bet. If I recall, I could normally do ultra settings on Far Cry 3 and mostly stay close to 60FPS, but once I started recording FPS just tanked into the 30s as CPU usage on all cores was then pegged at 100%.
AMD VCE encodes using the GPU. Equivalent to Nvidia's Shadowplay.
post #2450 of 3195
Quote:
Originally Posted by coffeerox View Post

I got pulled into a trap by an Intel fanboy. I was trying to help him out b/c he came into an Athlon but he didn't know performance. I told him and provided all the facts and this idiot uses CPUBoss on me and says I don't know what I'm talking about.
tell him he cannot make any definitive claims against the 860K until he reads this while thread.
Quote:
They see the benchmarks, lets say 30fps on Ultra, then YT to find it gets 30FPS on Ultra. But what they don't know is that you can get 60 (or somewhere in the middle) by tuning settings. They think 60FPS on an 860K is a myth.
fighting ignorance of this platform is a full time job on the interwebs. I got worn out trying long ago. Half the people wont even believe you when your info contradicts cpu-boss rolleyes.gif
Summit Ridge
(16 items)
 
ASUS R510DP
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1600X ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 HIS Radeon HD7870 IceQ 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 CL16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M6S Plus 256GB SSD Toshiba X300 6TB Toshiba X300 6TB Toshiba 2TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool BETA 400 ST Windows 8.1 Pro x64 HP S2031 20" Samsung SyncMaster 932BW 19" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic S12G 750w Lian Li full tower Logitech MX310 SteelSeries 4HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-5750m 3.5Ghz ASUStek A75M FCH HD 8650G + HD 8670M dual graphics 2x4GB Samsung 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Toshiba Q300 SSD 120GB Panasonic CD/DVD Windows 8.1 Pro 15.6" 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
Summit Ridge
(16 items)
 
ASUS R510DP
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD Ryzen 1600X ASRock Fatal1ty AB350 Gaming K4 HIS Radeon HD7870 IceQ 2x8GB G.Skill TridentZ 3200 CL16 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M6S Plus 256GB SSD Toshiba X300 6TB Toshiba X300 6TB Toshiba 2TB 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Deepcool BETA 400 ST Windows 8.1 Pro x64 HP S2031 20" Samsung SyncMaster 932BW 19" 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic S12G 750w Lian Li full tower Logitech MX310 SteelSeries 4HD 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10-5750m 3.5Ghz ASUStek A75M FCH HD 8650G + HD 8670M dual graphics 2x4GB Samsung 1600Mhz 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Toshiba Q300 SSD 120GB Panasonic CD/DVD Windows 8.1 Pro 15.6" 1920x1080 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › AMD › AMD CPUs › Athlon 860K, any one picking it up?