Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 970 Owner's Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] NVIDIA GTX 970 Owner's Club - Page 1996

post #19951 of 26263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno1 View Post

That chip should have been binned as a 980ti. you got lucky. My asic is 65. mad.gif

Different core....
post #19952 of 26263
OK....follow along, because this gets kinda messy. So, I decided to flash back to the custom bios, but with voltage on the slider so I could increase it when I wanted to. I left the TDP and power limits where I always had them on my 1.275v bios. TDP at 310/310 and Power Limit at 295 / 310.

I flashed to the bios with the ability to increase voltage via the slider, and did a firestrike graphics test 1 run at 1580 @ 1.268v (that's all it'd give me for some reason...still researching that. I had the bios set to give me 1.275..anyway). I hit a power limit, and the card throttled. So, I flashed back to the original bios I had, which was a bios I had taken from the link below (Zoson's thread), and flashed right to that FTW bios. I had obviously changed a lot of settings in that bios, to make it what I wanted, but.....it's THAT bios, and not the stock bios that I had modified to run my cards on.

I flashed back to the bios that was originally modified by Joe Dirt (thanks, man), and then modified again by me for my cards....ran Firestrike at 1580 @ 1.275v...no throttling.

SO....how can that be?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1517316/extract-and-flash-gtx-970-and-980-firmware-zosons-h2o-and-air-custom-bios
post #19953 of 26263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xeno1 View Post

That chip should have been binned as a 980ti. you got lucky. My asic is 65. mad.gif

ASIC doesn't mean anything IMO. I have seen very low ones run better than higher ones.
mine is very low and I have a great gpu.


Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19954 of 26263
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlhawn View Post

ASIC doesn't mean anything IMO. I have seen very low ones run better than higher ones.
mine is very low and I have a great gpu.



It does, actually. Are there other things that come into play to decide how well a GPU will overclock? Like power delivery, VRM, overall build quality, etc? Yes, but ASIC quality, especially with Maxwell, matters in terms of overclocking capability in the core.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellinious View Post

OK....follow along, because this gets kinda messy. So, I decided to flash back to the custom bios, but with voltage on the slider so I could increase it when I wanted to. I left the TDP and power limits where I always had them on my 1.275v bios. TDP at 310/310 and Power Limit at 295 / 310.

I flashed to the bios with the ability to increase voltage via the slider, and did a firestrike graphics test 1 run at 1580 @ 1.268v (that's all it'd give me for some reason...still researching that. I had the bios set to give me 1.275..anyway). I hit a power limit, and the card throttled. So, I flashed back to the original bios I had, which was a bios I had taken from the link below (Zoson's thread), and flashed right to that FTW bios. I had obviously changed a lot of settings in that bios, to make it what I wanted, but.....it's THAT bios, and not the stock bios that I had modified to run my cards on.

I flashed back to the bios that was originally modified by Joe Dirt (thanks, man), and then modified again by me for my cards....ran Firestrike at 1580 @ 1.275v...no throttling.

SO....how can that be?

http://www.overclock.net/t/1517316/extract-and-flash-gtx-970-and-980-firmware-zosons-h2o-and-air-custom-bios

Pay no mind to this...I forgot to increase the power limit in the stock bios file I modded. /smh
post #19955 of 26263
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vellinious View Post

It does, actually. Are there other things that come into play to decide how well a GPU will overclock? Like power delivery, VRM, overall build quality, etc? Yes, but ASIC quality, especially with Maxwell, matters in terms of overclocking capability in the core.

Can you please expand on this. I have seen no correlation between ASIC and achievable core clocks. Are there some links that compare the two?
post #19956 of 26263
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl6mk6 View Post

Can you please expand on this. I have seen no correlation between ASIC and achievable core clocks. Are there some links that compare the two?


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I3DyiLAQ3Qk
this is very good info, I just found it.
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
Old X58
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 970 6 core ASUS Sabertooth X58 MSI GTX 1070 Gaming X GSkill 24 gigs 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Crucial MX100 256 gig Crucial M500 120gig WD VelociRaptor 1TB Noctua 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 7 Pro 64bit LG 29inch widescreen DP LG 29inch widescreen DP Corsair K65 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
EVGA SuperNova G2 1000w Corsair C70 Corsair M65 Sound Blaster Z 
Other
Custom sleeved psu cables 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19957 of 26263
ASIC measures voltage leak within the core. So, a core with a lower ASIC score is going to take more voltage to reach a specific clock, than will a core with a higher ASIC.

Though, like I said, there are about a 100 different factors that also play into this for the GPU overclock, because all of them have a role... But speaking specifically about the core, ASIC quality does matter.
post #19958 of 26263
Played with the bios settings some more. No matter what I do, I can't make it hit a Power Limit perf cap reason unless I set the power limit in the bios to under 300 watts.

I thought maybe by messing with the settings a little bit, I could figure out why some of the guys were running into the PWR perf cap with their cards, but.....I can't duplicate the issue with my cards to try to figure out how to get around it. Sorry, guys.
post #19959 of 26263
i think my card is defective somehow
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 7820X 4.5GHz/3200MHz mesh @ 1.1v Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING  eVGa 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 HYBRID 2037/12000MHz PhysX Card: eVGA 1070 SC2 2037/9000 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4-3200 Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2-NVMe SSD - Windows/Boot OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" SSD - Games(RAID0) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" SSD - Games(RAID0) Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 AIO LCS Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit LG 47LN5400 47in. HDTV @ 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Ornato Chroma Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB Titanium 1000W... Thermaltake Core X31 RGB Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Firefly Chroma Samsung K360 Soundbar+Subwoofer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A6-7310 2.00GHz Dual-core HP POS AMD Radeon R4 4GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Some POS 240GB SSD More HP junk Stock Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya x64 Samsung 40 in. Insignia wireless HP garbage PS 
MouseAudioAudio
Insignia wireless Realtek something Onkyo HT-R592 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 7820X 4.5GHz/3200MHz mesh @ 1.1v Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING  eVGa 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 HYBRID 2037/12000MHz PhysX Card: eVGA 1070 SC2 2037/9000 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4-3200 Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2-NVMe SSD - Windows/Boot OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" SSD - Games(RAID0) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" SSD - Games(RAID0) Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 AIO LCS Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit LG 47LN5400 47in. HDTV @ 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Ornato Chroma Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB Titanium 1000W... Thermaltake Core X31 RGB Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Firefly Chroma Samsung K360 Soundbar+Subwoofer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A6-7310 2.00GHz Dual-core HP POS AMD Radeon R4 4GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Some POS 240GB SSD More HP junk Stock Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya x64 Samsung 40 in. Insignia wireless HP garbage PS 
MouseAudioAudio
Insignia wireless Realtek something Onkyo HT-R592 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19960 of 26263
ZOMG!!! it was my cpu overclock.......causing power limit issues.....
Edited by DeathAngel74 - 11/5/15 at 8:18pm
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 7820X 4.5GHz/3200MHz mesh @ 1.1v Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING  eVGa 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 HYBRID 2037/12000MHz PhysX Card: eVGA 1070 SC2 2037/9000 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4-3200 Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2-NVMe SSD - Windows/Boot OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" SSD - Games(RAID0) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" SSD - Games(RAID0) Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 AIO LCS Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit LG 47LN5400 47in. HDTV @ 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Ornato Chroma Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB Titanium 1000W... Thermaltake Core X31 RGB Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Firefly Chroma Samsung K360 Soundbar+Subwoofer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A6-7310 2.00GHz Dual-core HP POS AMD Radeon R4 4GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Some POS 240GB SSD More HP junk Stock Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya x64 Samsung 40 in. Insignia wireless HP garbage PS 
MouseAudioAudio
Insignia wireless Realtek something Onkyo HT-R592 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 7820X 4.5GHz/3200MHz mesh @ 1.1v Asus STRIX X299-E GAMING  eVGa 1080 Ti 11GB FTW3 HYBRID 2037/12000MHz PhysX Card: eVGA 1070 SC2 2037/9000 
RAMRAMHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Vengeance RGB 32GB DDR4-3200 Corsair Vengeance LPX Black 32GB DDR4-3200 Samsung 960 EVO 250GB M.2-NVMe SSD - Windows/Boot OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" SSD - Games(RAID0) 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ TRION 150 480GB 2.5" SSD - Games(RAID0) Thermaltake Water 3.0 Riing RGB 360 AIO LCS Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate 64-bit LG 47LN5400 47in. HDTV @ 120Hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Ornato Chroma Thermaltake Toughpower DPS G RGB Titanium 1000W... Thermaltake Core X31 RGB Razer Deathadder Chroma 
Mouse PadAudio
Razer Firefly Chroma Samsung K360 Soundbar+Subwoofer 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD A6-7310 2.00GHz Dual-core HP POS AMD Radeon R4 4GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Some POS 240GB SSD More HP junk Stock Windows 7 SP1 Ultimate x64 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Linux Mint 18.2 Sonya x64 Samsung 40 in. Insignia wireless HP garbage PS 
MouseAudioAudio
Insignia wireless Realtek something Onkyo HT-R592 7.1 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › [Official] NVIDIA GTX 970 Owner's Club