Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [PC Monitors] Samsung S34E790C Curved 34" 21:9 Ultrawide VA Monitor
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[PC Monitors] Samsung S34E790C Curved 34" 21:9 Ultrawide VA Monitor - Page 40

post #391 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefCoN View Post

It really sucks that a lot of games aren't supporting the 21:9 resolution, its all stretched out. No proper implementation on popular titles such as starcraft, heroes of the storm, etc.

I planned on two of the Acer X34 (G-Sync's) or two of the samsungs depending on pricing, but if they don't end up adding in support for these monitors I might just pass on them altogether. mad.gif

I was planning on buying one too, but thats my main issue, just that not a lot of games support it. I'm hoping the 21:9 will become more common though and not just a phase so more things start supporting it
post #392 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefCoN View Post

It really sucks that a lot of games aren't supporting the 21:9 resolution, its all stretched out. No proper implementation on popular titles such as starcraft, heroes of the storm, etc.

I planned on two of the Acer X34 (G-Sync's) or two of the samsungs depending on pricing, but if they don't end up adding in support for these monitors I might just pass on them altogether. mad.gif

Hey, i thought starcraft II got support for 21:9 earlier this year?
post #393 of 545
No, SC2 doesn't support 21:9. In the settings on the monitor itself if you change 'Image Size' setting from the default of WIDE to AUTO it won't stretch. You can run SC2 at 1440p (which looks very nice btw) and it will just have back bars on the left and right. All the current Blizzard games support 1440p but not 21:9. I'm really hoping that Overwatch will support 21:9.

EDIT: Correction WoW supports 21:9, but StarCraft 2, Diablo 3, Hearthstone, and Heroes of the Storm all only support 1440p max.
Edited by rexbinary - 10/23/15 at 8:08am
post #394 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by rexbinary View Post

No, SC2 doesn't support 21:9. In the settings on the monitor itself if you change 'Image Size' setting from the default of WIDE to AUTO it won't stretch. You can run SC2 at 1440p (which looks very nice btw) and it will just have back bars on the left and right. All the current Blizzard games support 1440p but not 21:9. I'm really hoping that Overwatch will support 21:9.

EDIT: Correction WoW supports 21:9, but StarCraft 2, Diablo 3, Hearthstone, and Heroes of the Storm all only support 1440p max.

21:3 works for D3 if you run it windows full screen.
 
Up to no good
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.7ghz @1.4v (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 @ 2150MHz Corsair Dominator Platinums 2133 cl9 1.5v 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor M5P Extreme SSD 128gb x 2 in Raid0 Corsair H105 Windows 8 Pro DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W 21:9 Curved Ultra Widesc... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Corsair AX1200i Corsair 760T Func MS-2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.2 1.3v Asus Rampage II Extreme EVGA GTX 690 6gb Corsair Dominator 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 256GB 3x Dell 2405 - Eyefinity Logitech G710+ Enermax Revolution 1050W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone FT02 Corsair M60 Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Up to no good
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770K @ 4.7ghz @1.4v (delidded) Asus Maximus VI Hero EVGA GTX 1080 @ 2150MHz Corsair Dominator Platinums 2133 cl9 1.5v 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Plextor M5P Extreme SSD 128gb x 2 in Raid0 Corsair H105 Windows 8 Pro DELL ULTRASHARP U3415W 21:9 Curved Ultra Widesc... 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech 710+ Corsair AX1200i Corsair 760T Func MS-2 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 920 D0 @ 4.2 1.3v Asus Rampage II Extreme EVGA GTX 690 6gb Corsair Dominator 7-7-7-20 
Hard DriveMonitorKeyboardPower
Crucial M4 256GB 3x Dell 2405 - Eyefinity Logitech G710+ Enermax Revolution 1050W 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Silverstone FT02 Corsair M60 Razer Destructor 
  hide details  
Reply
post #395 of 545
I just checked WSGF and they confirm with you that SC2 doesn't work beyond 16:9. Odd. The other SC2 (Supreme Commander) seems to.

Sometimes its also a matter of the refresh, oddly enough. For example Dead Space (the first one) is supposedly 21:9 friendly, but I've tried it on my Acer XR341CK (the Freesync version) and can't get it to work right now - because I'm still on my old computer with a relatively poor graphics card and pushing only 30Hz thru HDMI at full rez. Yet Homeworld Remastered looks glorious in full 3440x1440 even limited to 30Hz.

I'm sure once I get the new beast built and have dual Fury's I'll figure out the Dead Space settings. Da*n console ports....

(BTW, you didn't ask, but yes, I love the Acer. It was a gamble but I'm very pleased with it.)
post #396 of 545
3440x1600p VA panel 144hz G-Sync non curved, that would be something sweet.

I'm kinda glad I bought this Crossover 2795 1440p IPS personally it's got a little problem but other than that it's fine.. I noticed no ghosting whatsover in BF4.. and these things do overclock.. the colors on it are amazing, even at default ! IPS glow is a thing though, but the only game I could notice it is Stalker in a very dark room.. (or I assume outside at night but haven't tryed that) GTA V at night I couldn't see any IPS glow at all, this is because there are much more colors even at night, like someone said I'd sacrify better colors for a bit of glow any day now.. because the amount of times you gonna spend in dark compare to bright-colorful places is quite irrelevant, now if all the games you play are like stalker.. or creepy dark games (now that I think about it, there is L4d2 which I played thousands of hours, that could be a problem too, kinda stopped playing so.. unless they release l4d3 ahem..) now I can see it being a problem.
Edited by StrongForce - 10/23/15 at 10:49am
The Kraken
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600k@4.5@1.36v Asrock z170 Extreme 6 Gigabytes Windforce R9 290x @ 1180/1500 G-Skill Ripjaws V 3200 Mhz Cl16@3580mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Caviar Black 640Gb Crucial MX 100 256Gb Seagate Barracuda 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
ID Cooling FrostFlow 240 Windows 7/8/10 Asus Vw266h Crossover 2795@95hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Corsair AX760i Phanteks Enthoo Primo SteelSeries Sensei+Coolermaster Alcor 
Audio
Corsair 1500D 
  hide details  
Reply
The Kraken
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 6600k@4.5@1.36v Asrock z170 Extreme 6 Gigabytes Windforce R9 290x @ 1180/1500 G-Skill Ripjaws V 3200 Mhz Cl16@3580mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Caviar Black 640Gb Crucial MX 100 256Gb Seagate Barracuda 1Tb Samsung 850 Evo 500Gb 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
ID Cooling FrostFlow 240 Windows 7/8/10 Asus Vw266h Crossover 2795@95hz 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G11 Corsair AX760i Phanteks Enthoo Primo SteelSeries Sensei+Coolermaster Alcor 
Audio
Corsair 1500D 
  hide details  
Reply
post #397 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by rtrski View Post

I just checked WSGF and they confirm with you that SC2 doesn't work beyond 16:9. Odd. The other SC2 (Supreme Commander) seems to.

Sometimes its also a matter of the refresh, oddly enough. For example Dead Space (the first one) is supposedly 21:9 friendly, but I've tried it on my Acer XR341CK (the Freesync version) and can't get it to work right now - because I'm still on my old computer with a relatively poor graphics card and pushing only 30Hz thru HDMI at full rez. Yet Homeworld Remastered looks glorious in full 3440x1440 even limited to 30Hz.

I'm sure once I get the new beast built and have dual Fury's I'll figure out the Dead Space settings. Da*n console ports....

(BTW, you didn't ask, but yes, I love the Acer. It was a gamble but I'm very pleased with it.)

Cool, when you upgrading your machine?

I waiting for x34 and still with my 3 years old laptop with 680m and dispalyport 1.1, i hope just to use Acer at 60 hz until spring, where im getting a full blast Broadwell E CPU build with first Pascal GPU avaiable.
post #398 of 545
Hey guys...

can anyone provide a good comparison between the S34e790c and the LG 34UC87?

I am wondering if the IPS panel is not better in color accuracy?

When you check this video :


https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7ftsw8rnnf8

you get the impression the samsung is blurry and not that good in darks like Linus is mentioning in the video later on.

The LG looks like it produces deeper darks and colors.
post #399 of 545
Plan on pulling the trigger next month for all parts. Already have the case, monitor, new KB/mouse, Intel 750 as OS drive and Samsung 850Pro as 'main storage', picked up piecemeal when there were sales too good to resist.

Planning X99 Has-E build (5930, 64GB RAM, dual Fury - haven't entirely decided which ones yet but leaning Sapphire Tri-X right now), 1KW PSU. Probably water cool the CPU (small AIO) just for RAM clearance to use all 8 slots, otherwise vanilla air cooling in a big Caselabs Mercury S8.

The fun part is I'm trying something wacky with the case - might be a while before I get things working and have the guts to post pics. I don't do the whole build log thing so I'll just be posting after the fact, if it works.
post #400 of 545
Quote:
Originally Posted by DefCoN View Post

It really sucks that a lot of games aren't supporting the 21:9 resolution, its all stretched out. No proper implementation on popular titles such as starcraft, heroes of the storm, etc.

I planned on two of the Acer X34 (G-Sync's) or two of the samsungs depending on pricing, but if they don't end up adding in support for these monitors I might just pass on them altogether. mad.gif
Quote:
Originally Posted by VoodooFarm View Post

I was planning on buying one too, but thats my main issue, just that not a lot of games support it. I'm hoping the 21:9 will become more common though and not just a phase so more things start supporting it

If people don't try and buy them to get enough market share, then yeah games won't support it. Apparently most new ones do so quite well -other than cinematics which are usually 16:9- and others treat your screen as a multi-monitor one! Max Payne for example, doesn't have support for 21:9 but allows 3440x1440 as it considers it "multiple screens".
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [PC Monitors] Samsung S34E790C Curved 34" 21:9 Ultrawide VA Monitor