Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › [Official] The Windows 10 Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] The Windows 10 Club - Page 752

post #7511 of 8571
Need to upgrade 2 computers at home to Windows 10 in July XD
post #7512 of 8571
I'll give the upgrade a shot I guess, wish me luck!
post #7513 of 8571
LOL, I have been on a goofy journey the last 24 hours. Win7 UEFI is very common, but if you try and allocate some space to do a win10 install on, the setup system seems to purposefully break the current bootloader and installs a new bootloader that Win7 UEFI is for some reason incompatible with. WHAT?! I mean, you can just intercept bootloader by hammering the key on your keyboard during boot and selecting the win7 drive/partition...but why is it like this? I've gone through a couple different methods of installing a dual boot win10 on an existing win7 and it straight up fights you all the way.

Win10 was an alright experience, but I'm very happy with Win7 and don't want to have to go through with this boot process every time I boot my comp.

The design of the system is to make it difficult to install win10 alongside win7, although you are encouraged to test it out, without realizing it will break the bootloader and leaving most people without many options. So you can 'upgrade' and essentially lose win7, or you can 'test' win10, and regardless of the 'default' win10 install, or your efforts to make a custom GPT formatted layout on additional attempts, it will break the bootloader...apparently with a specific intention to do so and leave one booting immediately into win10 or a broken reference to your win7 boot in the bootloader.

Like, pretty much the only option is to physically disconnect your win7 drive and all storage drives, plug in a blank drive for a win10 install, install win10, power down computer, plug everything back in and use the disk boot priority of your bios to boot the system you want. Ridiculous. This is what I used to have to do when testing random linux images due to conflicting grub/syslinux vers etc. I mean, it's not even like that anymore in the linux environment and MS has an entirely controlled system. How can you even argue that they didn't design it this way?!

Your either going to test it out and like, or discover that returning to your previous setup is either impossible for the user or extremely difficult for the mildly tech savvy...and even then it's super time consuming.
Edited by czerro - 7/4/16 at 12:12am
post #7514 of 8571
Win10 licensing is stupid

I'm out!
post #7515 of 8571
Quote:
Originally Posted by subassy View Post

It's not supposed to matter which version of 10 you install as the OS is supposed to automatically adjust to the amount of RAM it has available to it. I have a tablet with an atom and 1 gig of RAM that runs it fine. I mean I have to disable Flash to do any actual web browsing but that's more of a CPU bottleneck.

So to answer your question, any version of 10 should adjust to the RAM it's provided and then you can further optimize it from there if so needed.

THX for the answer!
post #7516 of 8571
Quote:
Originally Posted by czerro View Post

LOL, I have been on a goofy journey the last 24 hours. Win7 UEFI is very common, but if you try and allocate some space to do a win10 install on, the setup system seems to purposefully break the current bootloader and installs a new bootloader that Win7 UEFI is for some reason incompatible with. WHAT?! I mean, you can just intercept bootloader by hammering the key on your keyboard during boot and selecting the win7 drive/partition...but why is it like this? I've gone through a couple different methods of installing a dual boot win10 on an existing win7 and it straight up fights you all the way.

Win10 was an alright experience, but I'm very happy with Win7 and don't want to have to go through with this boot process every time I boot my comp.

The design of the system is to make it difficult to install win10 alongside win7, although you are encouraged to test it out, without realizing it will break the bootloader and leaving most people without many options. So you can 'upgrade' and essentially lose win7, or you can 'test' win10, and regardless of the 'default' win10 install, or your efforts to make a custom GPT formatted layout on additional attempts, it will break the bootloader...apparently with a specific intention to do so and leave one booting immediately into win10 or a broken reference to your win7 boot in the bootloader.

Like, pretty much the only option is to physically disconnect your win7 drive and all storage drives, plug in a blank drive for a win10 install, install win10, power down computer, plug everything back in and use the disk boot priority of your bios to boot the system you want. Ridiculous. This is what I used to have to do when testing random linux images due to conflicting grub/syslinux vers etc. I mean, it's not even like that anymore in the linux environment and MS has an entirely controlled system. How can you even argue that they didn't design it this way?!

Your either going to test it out and like, or discover that returning to your previous setup is either impossible for the user or extremely difficult for the mildly tech savvy...and even then it's super time consuming.
I have not tried uefi with WIndows 7 and 10 together(my board is early uefi and do not think it has all the extra features for uefi boot, but i could be wrong.). Does easyBCD allow adjusting the boot loader to select OS on startup? You would need fast startup off in Windows 10 to avoid loading 10 before getting the option to select an OS.

The reason I mention this is because i run 10 alongside 7 without issues(not uefi) and use the windows boot loader to select on startup.
Gaming
(15 items)
 
Media Center
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 4.4 Maximus IV Gene-z Asus Dual 1070 OC with Artic Mono Plus G.SKILL F3-1866C9D-16GXM Ripjaws X 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
M4 256 MX 300 Liteon Slot load H80i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64 bit BenQ XL2420Z Logitech Wave Corsair 850HX 
CaseMouseAudio
Silverstone FT03 Logitech G9 X-fi Titanium Fatality 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 h55n usb3 msi gtx 650 ti Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WDC Red 3tb M4 128 WDC scorpio Blue 2.5 Sony AD-7690H-01 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Geminii S Windows 7 HP 64 bit SyncMaster 245t Logitech Wave 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
FSP SFX 300 watt SG05 Logitech G9 Sound Blaster Omni 
Other
HD PVR 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(15 items)
 
Media Center
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2600K @ 4.4 Maximus IV Gene-z Asus Dual 1070 OC with Artic Mono Plus G.SKILL F3-1866C9D-16GXM Ripjaws X 16GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
M4 256 MX 300 Liteon Slot load H80i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 HP 64 bit BenQ XL2420Z Logitech Wave Corsair 850HX 
CaseMouseAudio
Silverstone FT03 Logitech G9 X-fi Titanium Fatality 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 750 h55n usb3 msi gtx 650 ti Corsair XMS3 CMX8GX3M2A1600C9 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
WDC Red 3tb M4 128 WDC scorpio Blue 2.5 Sony AD-7690H-01 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Geminii S Windows 7 HP 64 bit SyncMaster 245t Logitech Wave 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
FSP SFX 300 watt SG05 Logitech G9 Sound Blaster Omni 
Other
HD PVR 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7517 of 8571
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nukemaster View Post

I have not tried uefi with WIndows 7 and 10 together(my board is early uefi and do not think it has all the extra features for uefi boot, but i could be wrong.). Does easyBCD allow adjusting the boot loader to select OS on startup? You would need fast startup off in Windows 10 to avoid loading 10 before getting the option to select an OS.

The reason I mention this is because i run 10 alongside 7 without issues(not uefi) and use the windows boot loader to select on startup.

Yes, you can disable secure boot, and run win10 alongside 7. This isn't really recommended though. You can disable secure boot and windows 7 (uefi) will work alongside 10 (uefi), but then you have a weird circumstance where you have to enable/disable secure boot on every boot. The entire thing is a cluster f.

Basically, the real work-around is to uninstall everything, install windows 10 and re-install windows 7. This is obviously less than ideal for a lot of reasons. It's quite hilarious.

EasyBCD will repair the windows 7 bootloader reference, and break the windows 10 bootloader smile.gif. This DOES work, and you can boot drives from bios.
post #7518 of 8571
Yes, you can disable secure boot, and run win10 alongside 7. This isn't really recommended though. You can disable secure boot and windows 7 (uefi) will work alongside 10 (uefi), but then you have a weird circumstance where you have to enable/disable secure boot on every boot. The entire thing is a cluster f.

Basically, the real work-around is to uninstall everything, install windows 10 and re-install windows 7. This is obviously less than ideal for a lot of reasons. It's quite hilarious.

EasyBCD will repair the windows 7 bootloader reference, and break the windows 10 bootloader smile.gif. This DOES work, however, and you can boot either system from bios
post #7519 of 8571
Just a friendly reminder, free Windows 10 will end this month. Also it seems Microsoft has a big update planned August.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2700k Asus P8P67 Deluxe GTX 580 DCII Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Force GT Intel X25V Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 Seagate ST30001DM001 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate ST31000528AS Seagate ST30001DM001 Intel X25V Pioneer BDR-209DBK 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermalright Venomous X Windows 7 premium 64 bits Soyo Topaz S MT-GW-PRLM24D6 Acer E21H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 OCZ Z series 1000w Mountain Mods UFO case Logitech G5 
Mouse PadOther
any cheap pad with cute kitty picture Kingwin KB4000 4-in-3 swap bay 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 2700k Asus P8P67 Deluxe GTX 580 DCII Corsair Vengeance 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Corsair Force GT Intel X25V Hitachi HDS722020ALA330 Seagate ST30001DM001 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate ST31000528AS Seagate ST30001DM001 Intel X25V Pioneer BDR-209DBK 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Thermalright Venomous X Windows 7 premium 64 bits Soyo Topaz S MT-GW-PRLM24D6 Acer E21H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G510 OCZ Z series 1000w Mountain Mods UFO case Logitech G5 
Mouse PadOther
any cheap pad with cute kitty picture Kingwin KB4000 4-in-3 swap bay 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7520 of 8571
Quote:
Originally Posted by wilykat View Post

Just a friendly reminder, free Windows 10 will end this month. Also it seems Microsoft has a big update planned August.

"Free" is kinda loose here. You are transferring your windows 7 license/key. It's not free, you are actually sacrificing something for something.

Edit: That's a great teaser that an awesome update is around the corner after the 'free' update offer ends smile.gif. What is it? Maybe they should extend the 'free' update period to allow this awesome update to drop. It's placement is weird and the cynical would view it as marketing pressure given it drops immediately after 'free' update ends.
Edited by czerro - 7/4/16 at 2:16pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Windows
Overclock.net › Forums › Software, Programming and Coding › Operating Systems › Windows › [Official] The Windows 10 Club