Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [pcper] Google Nexus 9 Powered by NVIDIA Tegra K1, Denver 64-bit SoC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[pcper] Google Nexus 9 Powered by NVIDIA Tegra K1, Denver 64-bit SoC - Page 10

post #91 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toque View Post

If anyone cares I'm getting the Nexus 6! Pablet is the way to go FTW!

Yeah, I'd go for that IF it had a stylus. I'm handwriting this on my shield tablet and the stylus is truly amazing. The tablet uses GPGPU to process the writing locally so it is quite fast and accurate - and not tied to a web service. Also the 5th core is used for touch processing so the responsiveness beats even the ipads.

Without a highly accurate integrated stylus, a 6" phablet is not a good replacement for a tablet IMO - the screen elements are too small to be comfortably activated - especially on websites. The QHD screen will overwhelm the Adreno 420 in many situations. Unoptimized apps will be painfully slow - I know, I have a 2560*1600 10" tablet. Besides, 300 dpi is plenty good - 500 dpi is overkill, especially for the costs.

I went the other route - Shield tablet + LTE + Google hangouts dialer. Voice calls, 2.5× the GPU, 1.5X the CPU, and a larger screen with a very appropriate and responsive 1200 p resolution. And $250 cheaper with 32GB + 64GB SDcard! Plus Nvidias Android support is excellent.
Edited by deppman - 10/21/14 at 10:18am
post #92 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt26LFC View Post

Take it out when your transporting it, not exactly a big deal. Some of them are quite small aswell, I have a corsair 64GB drive, its only about 3cm long, 0.5cm thick. Tbh I'd just prefer that offered 32/64GB devices, think 16/32GB in 2014 is a piss take.

Trust me, dropping a 64GB SD Card just once into yor device and then using it for the life of the device as expanded Storage (move to SD card ) is the way to go. Your apps are always available even when charging. OTG really is a very poor substitute on many levels.
post #93 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by De_stroyer View Post

Okay so when you plug a thumb drive or external hard drive into a laptop you remove it when you pack the laptop away ?
Also I'm sorry but if you leave a OTG drive in your tablet than pack it away you deserve to have the port break. I assume the reason your packing the item away is because your not goin to be using it anymore so it makes sense to unplug the thumb drive which isn't in use either.
Hence it is not quite a permanent storage solution if you need to plug it in and remove it every time.

Just as a laptop's USB drive is not a good substitute for an SSD.
post #94 of 102
Please can we try some reason.
A micro sd card is not permanent storage , I have several which I store different client information on and swap as the need arises. I have several external hard drives with different data on and swap as the need arises. I have several OTG drives that I use as well. None of these are permanent and all work perfectly for there needs. At the end of the day yes it would be nice if the phone had micro sd, it doesn't and I've offered an alternate solution which at the end of the day serves the same purpose.
post #95 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by deppman View Post

Let's try to be semi-lucid here, OK?
  1. First, you claim that the Tegra K1 is a 10W chip, yet the graph you provide shows 2.73W.
  2. Where did the other 7.27W go? Perhaps there is something wrong with the graph?
  3. If there is, you seem to have no problem using it as a definitive resource in the very next sentence. Bias much?


Yes, the Nexus 7 is quite power efficient. So is a clay brick. Both don't perform adequately compared to the Tegra K1 for many tasks. Even when capped to 30 fps, the K1 is usually provides around 3 *times* the GPU performance and double the CPU perf. Check out Anandtech's review of the Shield tablet power use

I understand the psychology behind your need to justify your purchase, and some of your points even have some validity - like as an e-reader, a Nexus 7 will use less power since it has a feeble SoC and a smaller screen. But others are just outright falsehoods that you really should critically analyze before sharing them publicly and embarrassing yourself.

A TK1 equipped shield tablet can perform tasks that are impossible on the Nexus 7 thanks to its performance and capabilities like GPGPU and OGL 4.4. It has superior perf/W as shown by my own testing and Anandtech. If all we want is an e-reader, any Kindle model is vastly superior to any tablet, lasting up to a month between charges. If we want smooth 30FPS at 1200p gameplay for half-life2-class OGL4.4 games with 5 hours between charges, the Nexus 7 isn't going to work, but the Shield tablet, or the miPad, or the Nexus 9 will.

Finally, the perf/W on the quad-core TK1 looks superior to the A7/A7X SoCs (GPU perf/w ~140%). The Denver variant looks like it may be perf/W competitive with the A8/A8X class despite the latter's full node size advantage.
I admit, I justify my purchase and I embarrass myself. You win. +.+
I admire the manner, though, with which you apply your passive aggressive strategies. First ask questions to denounce, then outright disclaim the validity. Got that! thumb.gif
The problem is, your previous comment is unfortunately false:
Quote:
2. Reading - Winner: Nexus 7.2 Yes, 323PPI beats the Tegra Note's 216PPI, and the screen is beautiful. But - it sucks power, and as a result the N7.2 is pretty comparable to the Tegra Note in battery tests according to Anand and Tom's hardware.
Entertain a new idea?

Quote:
This device is a tablet first and foremost, so WiFi browsing battery life is important. In this area, the tablet does well. However, it’s a bit strange how the device performs worse than the Nexus 7 (2013). The reason why I say this is that the Tegra K1 is on a far more power efficient process (28HPm), has broadly equivalent battery capacity to screen area scaling, and should have a more power efficient display due to the reduced gamut. However, it could be that Cortex A15 just isn’t as power efficient as Krait and the silicon backplane of the display isn’t as efficient as the one in the Nexus 7.
You got that right, Anandtech> the vindicator's lair.

On a more sane note, Tegra is pronounced as a brand for performance. The irony in all that is I wouldn't expect desktop performance out of a tablet, lest I be dissappointed. Gpgpu and 3D, thus, goes down the drain when you are able to "stream" and "network" the applications you want to use online which I'm sure is more feasible. Hence what features you are left with are those some other devices are better at. E-readers are also slow, they don't display colour as well as Nexus 7 does. It is an all in one tablet with the display it has got. Have you heard of LTPS?
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #96 of 102
Quote:
I admire the manner, though, with which you apply your passive aggressive strategies. First ask questions to denounce, then outright disclaim the validity. Got that!

Thats not passive agressive, that's effectively illustrating how you fabricate "facts" to support your thesis. How can you claim 10W/1.39W pwer draws when your source of truth is a graph that shows 2.73/1.39W?
Quote:
Reading - Winner: Nexus 7.2 Yes, 323PPI beats the Tegra Note's 216PPI, and the screen is beautiful. But - it sucks power, and as a result the N7.2 is pretty comparable to the Tegra Note in battery tests according to Anand and Tom's hardware.

You are again embarrassing yourself. Which is it - the Tegra Note 7 or the Shield Tablet you are making a comparison? You can't conflate the two and pick the worst attributes from each to substantiate your argument. Either you are performing lazy in research or being purposely disingeuous. The Shield tablet has a 1920x1200 screen - the same resolution as the Nexus 7 - and 283 PPI. In my experience, after about 300 dpi, any increased pixel density has very little effect.
Quote:
The irony in all that is I wouldn't expect desktop performance out of a tablet, lest I be dissappointed. Gpgpu and 3D, thus, goes down the drain when you are able to "stream" and "network" the applications you want to use online which I'm sure is more feasible.

The true irony is that the best streaming tablet is the Shield tablet, bar none. And of course, with the pathetic SoC in your tablet, you WILL be disappointed if you expect desktop performance. Not so much with the TK1, which out performs all core duos ever produced.

I and many others want and need more performance. I'm on a train 90 minutes per day. I need to do nearly everything my workstation can do on my tablet. My family loves to play console class games and grid on our tv using our tablets. So while the N7 with its feeble performance and nice reading screen might be the best tablet FOR YOU, it certainly isn't for everyone. Btw, the Shield tablet is 2-3x faster in web browsing. I guess the battery life on the N7 gives you more time to watch you pages repaint wink.gif
post #97 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by deppman View Post

Thats not passive agressive, that's effectively illustrating how you fabricate "facts" to support your thesis. How can you claim 10W/1.39W pwer draws when your source of truth is a graph that shows 2.73/1.39W?
You are again embarrassing yourself. Which is it - the Tegra Note 7 or the Shield Tablet you are making a comparison? You can't conflate the two and pick the worst attributes from each to substantiate your argument. Either you are performing lazy in research or being purposely disingeuous. The Shield tablet has a 1920x1200 screen - the same resolution as the Nexus 7 - and 283 PPI. In my experience, after about 300 dpi, any increased pixel density has very little effect.
The true irony is that the best streaming tablet is the Shield tablet, bar none. And of course, with the pathetic SoC in your tablet, you WILL be disappointed if you expect desktop performance. Not so much with the TK1, which out performs all core duos ever produced.

I and many others want and need more performance. I'm on a train 90 minutes per day. I need to do nearly everything my workstation can do on my tablet. My family loves to play console class games and grid on our tv using our tablets. So while the N7 with its feeble performance and nice reading screen might be the best tablet FOR YOU, it certainly isn't for everyone. Btw, the Shield tablet is 2-3x faster in web browsing. I guess the battery life on the N7 gives you more time to watch you pages repaint wink.gif

You do know you are arguing with a top member of the amd cheer leading team here? AMD could spit in his face and all he'd do is open his mouth wide to catch it.
Storm
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K Asus Maximus Vi Hero XFX 7970 GHZ CFX Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Evo Corsair H100 Windows 8.1 VE278Q 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Corsair 800D Razor Deathadder Desk 
Audio
ATH 700 
  hide details  
Reply
Storm
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-4770K Asus Maximus Vi Hero XFX 7970 GHZ CFX Corsair Vengeance 4x8GB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
128GB Evo Corsair H100 Windows 8.1 VE278Q 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
SuperNOVA 1300 G2 Corsair 800D Razor Deathadder Desk 
Audio
ATH 700 
  hide details  
Reply
post #98 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by deppman View Post

Thats not passive agressive, that's effectively illustrating how you fabricate "facts" to support your thesis. How can you claim 10W/1.39W pwer draws when your source of truth is a graph that shows 2.73/1.39W?
You are again embarrassing yourself. Which is it - the Tegra Note 7 or the Shield Tablet you are making a comparison? You can't conflate the two and pick the worst attributes from each to substantiate your argument. Either you are performing lazy in research or being purposely disingeuous. The Shield tablet has a 1920x1200 screen - the same resolution as the Nexus 7 - and 283 PPI. In my experience, after about 300 dpi, any increased pixel density has very little effect.
The true irony is that the best streaming tablet is the Shield tablet, bar none. And of course, with the pathetic SoC in your tablet, you WILL be disappointed if you expect desktop performance. Not so much with the TK1, which out performs all core duos ever produced.

I and many others want and need more performance. I'm on a train 90 minutes per day. I need to do nearly everything my workstation can do on my tablet. My family loves to play console class games and grid on our tv using our tablets. So while the N7 with its feeble performance and nice reading screen might be the best tablet FOR YOU, it certainly isn't for everyone. Btw, the Shield tablet is 2-3x faster in web browsing. I guess the battery life on the N7 gives you more time to watch you pages repaint wink.gif
What are you talking about, seriously?
This tablet has 103% color gamut, LTPS panel with the highest backlight reflectivity quotient, the longest battery life "ever" (I offered proof right up) and streams just as well as your device because in case you don't stream, your battery life is worse. Nvidia's grid doesn't work on the train, too.
I think I will be able to recall the very mention of Mr. Tom Petersen when he said that a Tegra K1 device had 3.5-4 hours of battery life in 3D graphics. You can cross your fingers for that.
BTW, "feeble" & "pathetic" aren't adjectives I would use for a more formidable adversary than the advertisement piece you have there. Qualcomm Krait cpu's are quite dominant and are on an "advanced" designer's ARM licence, not like the previous iteration of A15 Tegra K1 that rebooted the Tegra line after a "failure".
I wouldn't expect someone fixated like you to accept it. Just get along with it.
Edit:
I hope this will suffice.
http://developer.download.nvidia.com/embedded/jetson/TK1/docs/Jetson_platform_brief_May2014.pdf
Edited by mtcn77 - 10/21/14 at 1:57pm
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
post #99 of 102
Quote:
What are you talking about, seriously?

I posted to call out to you and others that your original post is full of lies and absurd conclusions.

1. LIE: You claim that the TK1 is a 10W part, yet you post a grapic that shows it is a 2.73W part. I own a Jetson tk1 and did the power testing in may that was republished around the net confirming its low power draw, and thats beforemobile optimizations.
2. Absurd conclusion: the "perfect" SoC for a tablet is found in the Nexus 7. This conclusion All is justified because it has a good battery life, performance a bit better than my pet rock, and it has a nice screen.
3. LIES and Sad narcissism : Your "facts" are cherry picked stats from different product that you conflate to support you world view. Now which product is it? You have now brought up the Tegra Note, the Shield tablet, the Jetson TK1, and the miPad. In your sad little mind you mix them all up to create the least desirable product you can devise. But that device doesn't exist.

Enjoy you AMD tablet and your 1000W r9 295x space heater. I'm done walking you in circles.
Edited by deppman - 10/21/14 at 2:26pm
post #100 of 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by deppman View Post

Enjoy you AMD tablet and your 1000W r9 295x space heater. I'm done walking you in circles.
Action-reaction. Conservation of energy. Don't fight physics, imo. Don't try to bend the spoon, either.
Your thoughts carry much inertia. You better let some of it go, otherwise ...
  1. the danger is
  2. you will get burnt out
These movies teach kids great science these days.
Edited by mtcn77 - 10/21/14 at 3:16pm
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
The Machine
(14 items)
 
Nexus 7 2013
(11 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
A10 6800K Asus F2A85-V MSI 6870 Hawx, VTX3D 5770, AMD HD6950(RIP), Sap... G.skill Ripjaws PC12800 6-8-6-24 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
Seagate 7200.5 1TB NEC 3540 Dvd-Rom Windows 7 x32 Ultimate Samsung P2350 23" 1080p 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Seasonic s12-600w CoolerMaster Centurion 5 Logitech G600 Auzen X-Fi Raider 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Quad Krait 300 at 1.5Ghz Qualcomm APQ8064-1AA SOC Adreno 320 at 400mhz 2GB DDR3L-1600 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
32GB Internal NAND Android 5.0 7" 1920X1200 103% sRGB & 572 cd/m2 LTPS IPS Microsoft Wedge Mobile Keyboard 
PowerAudio
3950mAh/15.01mAh Battery Stereo Speakers 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [pcper] Google Nexus 9 Powered by NVIDIA Tegra K1, Denver 64-bit SoC