Originally Posted by unseen0
I have this urge to play games that allow me to customize a bot/npc player that will fight with me.
games like this, in fact most of my favorite games offer such features. Here are my recommendations.
- XCOM: Enemy Unknown + Enemy Within - This might be your dream game, if you're looking for customization over your allies and their combat abilities.
- Wasteland 2 (you create your own squad and have complete customization over their appearance, abilities, attributes, plus the game uses a party dialogue system so you can bring your squad members into conversations)
- Divinity: Original Sin (you create two characters and have full customization over their appearance, abilities, attributes, plus it has a party dialogue system like Wasteland 2, and you can heavily customize other potential companions)
- Dragon Age: Origins Ultimate Edition (you can heavily customize your companions, but not create them, and you can program them in-game like psyclum said)
- Mass Effect trilogy (you can customize your companions, but not create them)
- Neverwinter Nights 2: Complete (in the main game and in two of the three expansions, you don't create your companions but you can heavily customize them, while in one of the expansions you create them and have full control over their appearance, abilities, and attributes, and this expansion also uses the aforementioned party dialogue system. You can also program all of your allies in-game, sort of like Dragon Age.)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic (you can heavily customize your companions, but not create them)
- Star Wars: Knights of the Old Republic II - The Sith Lords (you can heavily customize your companions, but not create them)
- ArmA 3 - If you learn to use the mission editor (which is streamlined and super user friendly), you can do virtually anything you want. Has one of the best squad command systems of any shooter.
- Rainbow Six 3: Gold (you have full control over your squad members, has permadeath, is kind of like XCOM and similar strategy games except it has tactical FPS gameplay)
- The Bureau: XCOM Declassified - I don't normally recommend this game, but it's excellent in the things you described in the OP. It's not outstanding in any other aspect though.
Skyrim has decent party abilities especially with mods, Fallout: New Vegas is much better in this regard so you might want to check both of these games out too. I can PM you a list of must-have mods for the above games if you want.
Originally Posted by unseen0
I've played Dragon Age when it first came out. But it was just briefly, i never gave it a good chance, i might dive into this one also.
Thanks for the suggestion!
Sounds good as well. I will definitely take a look. Cheers!
Use these mods for Dragon Age: Origins (they're all on nexusmods):
Edited by boredgunner - 10/20/14 at 12:44pm
- Character Respecialization - Which lets you completely customize the attributes of every character, so this is a must for you, it's nearly as good as making your own NPCs pretty much except you retain the very in-depth character development that the game offers
- Dragon Age - Lighting Enhanced
- Improved Atmosphere - What would I do without it
- Circles Be Gone
- Skip the Fade
- Combat Tweaks - My life also depends on this
- Morrigan Restoration Patch
- Grey Wardens of Ferelden
- Ancient Elven Boots Fix