Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › my bloody dilemma !
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

my bloody dilemma ! - Page 2

post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by PontiacGTX View Post

why do you want cards that onyl will show 60fps? are you going to upgrade your monitor to something with more res/ higher refrehs rate?


and there are better and cheaper air cooling options that the CLC you said..

i forgot to say, my Monitor is : Asus VG248QE, 3D , 144Hz
would i be able to run more than 60fps ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightCandle View Post

In the worst case SLI doesn't work and you will be using a single 970. Before that point you may be trying the game and getting less than that due to negative scaling but if its a problem one of the first things you'll try is looking at GPU usage with say GPU-Z and then switch to a single card. A 970 is about 15% slower than a 980 maybe a little bit more. That is the worst case with SLI and it will happen every now and then.

what do you mean by worst case ?
you mean the worst case is: SLI maybe doesn't work in a specific game ? or have problem in all games ?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Klocek001 View Post

don't count fps in sli, they get high average frames but it's the fps drops that matter. if you have enough cash to buy two 970 I'd wait for 980Ti or 390X. You shouldn't have sold the 780 SLI TBH but that was your choice.

yes you're right, but if people want to wait for better ones they should wait ...... to the end of world biggrin.gif because tech is going and going and going , never stop...
post #12 of 17
Yes your.monitor would have a top of 144hz 2x 970gtx cando 120+ in high quality in most of the games
post #13 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightiran View Post

i forgot to say, my Monitor is : Asus VG248QE, 3D , 144Hz
would i be able to run more than 60fps ?
what do you mean by worst case ?
you mean the worst case is: SLI maybe doesn't work in a specific game ? or have problem in all games ?

With a VG248QE you can run up to 144hz, you'll need to set that in Windows because by default it will set 60 but it'll be a lot smoother if you can get the fps in a game up high.

The worst case for any game with SLI is that SLI doesn't work and you will be limited to the performance of one card only. The second will sit idle. Its not common but it does happen. Sometimes the need to turn off SLI manifests as negative scaling, which means that when SLI is enabled and the game is played the performance is worse than if you on;y had one card.

How this plays out is that in most (~90% in my experience of SLI for 3 years) games you will get a decent improvement from having that second card and it will produce a higher average fps than a single 980. However in a few games you will be maybe getting less than ideal scaling and will be around the 980 or have stutter and then you might be limited to 970 due to SLI negative scaling, stutter or something else. Its going to happen in about 10% of games. That 10% is never going to include the biggest releases of the year, those are pretty much always SLI capable on release. The sort of games that don't come with it are lesser known things like Farming simulator or F1 2014 (which doesn't need it anyway). Typically the ones where SLI doesn't work don't need it anyway but Shadows of Mordor is a recent counter example, SLI does work but not without a tweak from the user to AFR2 mode.
BC Primary
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Gigabyte Gaming 7 MSI 1080 Gaming X 16GB Corsair 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hitachi 4TB Crucial MX100 512GB Crucial M4 512GB Samsung 950 pro 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Custom watercooling 2xMCR320 1xMCR480 Windows 10 Asus Rog Swift PG279Q Benq XL2411T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Red cherry Corsair HX1050 Little Devil 7 Zowie Evo CL EC2 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
QCK Heavy Soundblaster ZX Sennheiser HD598 Schitt Magni/Mobi 
  hide details  
Reply
BC Primary
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Gigabyte Gaming 7 MSI 1080 Gaming X 16GB Corsair 3200 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Hitachi 4TB Crucial MX100 512GB Crucial M4 512GB Samsung 950 pro 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Custom watercooling 2xMCR320 1xMCR480 Windows 10 Asus Rog Swift PG279Q Benq XL2411T 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K70 Red cherry Corsair HX1050 Little Devil 7 Zowie Evo CL EC2 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
QCK Heavy Soundblaster ZX Sennheiser HD598 Schitt Magni/Mobi 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by BrightCandle View Post

With a VG248QE you can run up to 144hz, you'll need to set that in Windows because by default it will set 60 but it'll be a lot smoother if you can get the fps in a game up high.

The worst case for any game with SLI is that SLI doesn't work and you will be limited to the performance of one card only. The second will sit idle. Its not common but it does happen. Sometimes the need to turn off SLI manifests as negative scaling, which means that when SLI is enabled and the game is played the performance is worse than if you on;y had one card.

How this plays out is that in most (~90% in my experience of SLI for 3 years) games you will get a decent improvement from having that second card and it will produce a higher average fps than a single 980. However in a few games you will be maybe getting less than ideal scaling and will be around the 980 or have stutter and then you might be limited to 970 due to SLI negative scaling, stutter or something else. Its going to happen in about 10% of games. That 10% is never going to include the biggest releases of the year, those are pretty much always SLI capable on release. The sort of games that don't come with it are lesser known things like Farming simulator or F1 2014 (which doesn't need it anyway). Typically the ones where SLI doesn't work don't need it anyway but Shadows of Mordor is a recent counter example, SLI does work but not without a tweak from the user to AFR2 mode.
many games accept sli.there is no point on advising against it.and the case is if the resolution can use the gpus as they should be used
post #15 of 17
Thread Starter 
Guys, would an enermax platimax 1000w platinum be enough for 970SLI?
post #16 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightiran View Post

Guys, would an enermax platimax 1000w platinum be enough for 970SLI?

You can get buy with a lot less wattage than that, you should head over to the PSU section and find a decent PSU that's between 750-800w for a little bit of headroom but not an excessive amount.
See Pee Yoo
(17 items)
 
Lian Mi
(12 items)
 
Craptop
(5 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k asrock extreme4 980ti corsair vengeance  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m3 seagate green lg dvdrw Noctua D14 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
win 7 64bit 2 x 1920 x 1080p (ASUS and LG) xl2420te ocz zx 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
haf bx g600 / / Roccat Savu Puretrak Talent Soundblaster Z 
Audio
sennheiser hd558 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
celereon g1610 g1 sniper m3 parema seagate barracuda 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
dvdrw windows vista vizio 3d tv rosewill green 530 
CaseMouse
lian li pc v354b logitech g300 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
4810MQ GTX 870M samsung evo  Windows 8.1 
Other
Sager 8728 
  hide details  
Reply
See Pee Yoo
(17 items)
 
Lian Mi
(12 items)
 
Craptop
(5 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2500k asrock extreme4 980ti corsair vengeance  
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Crucial m3 seagate green lg dvdrw Noctua D14 
OSMonitorMonitorPower
win 7 64bit 2 x 1920 x 1080p (ASUS and LG) xl2420te ocz zx 1000w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
haf bx g600 / / Roccat Savu Puretrak Talent Soundblaster Z 
Audio
sennheiser hd558 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
celereon g1610 g1 sniper m3 parema seagate barracuda 
Optical DriveOSMonitorPower
dvdrw windows vista vizio 3d tv rosewill green 530 
CaseMouse
lian li pc v354b logitech g300 
CPUGraphicsHard DriveOS
4810MQ GTX 870M samsung evo  Windows 8.1 
Other
Sager 8728 
  hide details  
Reply
post #17 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by knightiran View Post

Guys, would an enermax platimax 1000w platinum be enough for 970SLI?

thats overkill 850 to 750 is what you need
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › my bloody dilemma !