Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Video Games - General › [kotaku]The Kind of Video Game Violence That Disturbs Me
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[kotaku]The Kind of Video Game Violence That Disturbs Me - Page 18

post #171 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dimaggio1103 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by dph314 View Post

I'll buy 2 copies just to spite one of the people out there boycotting it.

thumb.gif

Same. lol

Gotta love the hypocrites on OCN. Amazing how they justify their choice in games though.

biggrin.gif

It really is though. I mean....violence is violence and drawing some arbitrary line in the sand isn't how it works. One type of game's violence is ok but another isn't because of- "...those reactions...", "...the goal...", "...the reason the main character is doing it...", or any other aspect of a game they don't play, so this game's violence isn't justified but the ones they play are. What if all new games had any innocents standing completely still and silent so no one risks seeing an old woman running and screaming for her life in the new GTA and getting ran over? What if no goals in the new Battlefield game can be to kill anyone, soldier or not, because the game's plot mentioned that particular Chinese soldier has a family? What if we can't get a back-story on main characters anymore because we might find out this person is doing what he's doing for reasons other than what someone out there might agree with?

It's a very slippery slope once censorship starts happening, and I am very against it. I believe children should be shown the world, taught the difference between right/wrong and fiction/real-life, instead of being kept in a bubble to keep them from it. The longer you hide something from a kid and make them think it's evil, the more allure it has. Plus, let's be honest...does anyone really think that in all the violent examples that have been cited...if a violent video game had an influence in any way on the kid involved, that that kid was normal to begin with?? If it wasn't a game like this that did, then it would've been the movie Rampage, or 'No Russians', or any number of violent examples out there. Which brings me right back to my fear of the slippery slope....


(I'm not attacking anyone's opinion, I respect them all. Just discussing the topic, so I hope it's not taken the wrong way smile.gif I'm not saying I'm right or wrong either. I just know that I hate censorship and at the rate it's been going, it'll make our lives much worse one day rather than better.
My Only Hobby
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Rampage IV Extreme EVGA 980Ti SC 16GB Samsung 30nm 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 3TB 7200rpm H100 Windows 8.1 Acer XB240H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Cooler Master 1200w Silent Pro Gold Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
My Only Hobby
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 3930k Rampage IV Extreme EVGA 980Ti SC 16GB Samsung 30nm 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 3TB 7200rpm H100 Windows 8.1 Acer XB240H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Razer Lycosa Cooler Master 1200w Silent Pro Gold Cooler Master HAF X Razer DeathAdder 
  hide details  
Reply
post #172 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post

Contact sports are way too violent. It would encourage children to go get concussions. Checkers and Chess are too violent as well because the pieces dominate and kill each other, with the players lifting the dead carcasses off the board and placing them in a pile. It's savagery.
Ok.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post

Isn't the point of a game to simulate something that can't (or shouldn't) be done in real life? Why should I be "sensitive"? Am I going to strap down preschoolers and make them watch me play this game? No. So who am I hurting? You have no standing to complain about what an adult does in their home.
First, I, or anyone, don't care if you are an adult or 15 but as a human have some exercise some prudence, like it or not. Secondly, we're allowing a game to use murder AND mass-homocide as a form of entertainment, completely unlike the approach of many other well known games with similar violence, period. But suddenly its no big deal? Just because other games have violence? End of discussion? Laughable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post

Go fight ISIS if you are so concerned about violence. I'm sure Doctors Without Borders could use some donations. A video game is pretty low on the "issues that require attention" scale, and complaining about video game violence is just a cheap way of trying to force your morality on others.
If you trying to equate video game violence to with a Middle eastern militia... nevermind.

Obviously you don't take any of this seriously or put under a hard light, but don't hold you tongue if say a potential shooter down the line draws inspiration exactly from this game. If you don't care, fine just say it, but don't act as if its nothing to be concerned about. We live in day an age where people can get or create the dumbest motivations for the most stupid of reasons and STILL potentially inflict massive physical harm on society. I'm not a psychiatrist but I'd rather not give them too much 'mental' ammo and excuses for horrific acts.
post #173 of 266
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneaux View Post

First, I, or anyone, don't care if you are an adult or 15 but as a human have some exercise some prudence, like it or not. Secondly, we're allowing a game to use murder AND mass-homocide as a form of entertainment, completely unlike the approach of many other well known games with similar violence, period. But suddenly its no big deal? Just because other games have violence? End of discussion? Laughable.

More people die from car accidents than from school shootings (35,200 vs less than 100 for 2013) Why aren't you up in arms about Need for Speed: Underground?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneaux View Post

Obviously you don't take any of this seriously or put under a hard light, but don't hold you tongue if say a potential shooter down the line draws inspiration exactly from this game. If you don't care, fine just say it, but don't act as if its nothing to be concerned about. We live in day an age where people can get or create the dumbest motivations for the most stupid of reasons and STILL potentially inflict massive physical harm on society. I'm not a psychiatrist but I'd rather not give them too much 'mental' ammo and excuses for horrific acts.
Why is it my job to take it seriously? Mass killings are a tiny fraction of deaths in the world. I think if you compare the number of people who play violent video games, and the number of spree killers, you'll observe that video games don't make people become spree killers.

Your "massive physical harm on society" caused by video games doesn't exist. The dozen or so school shooters/ spree killers did what they did because they were bullied or had mental heath issues. Not because they played CS:GO one night. By your logic, someone who glorifies the Halo franchise might as well be a psychopath.

More importantly, why do you get to decide what is appropriate for me to do? My concern is more about censorship. The bigger threat is allowing our information to be curated by someone with an agenda. Who's morality do we get to go by? By the numbers, racing games are far more dangerous than any violent game is, if video games cause people to act out what they play. Fight those.
post #174 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneaux View Post

Going by that shortsighted logic, we should ban any and all genres capable of potraying reckless behavior when compared to reality. Which probably just leaves us with board and sports games.



I don't understand how people can stay "insensitive" with a game with no other objective but blatant murder. Unlike every other game with obscene violence they STILL had other tasks and purposes like story, mini games, other game modes, etc. Very much unlike whatever video game you feel is comparable. And its sick we find this acceptable in modern society. Can you think of plenty of non-obscure violent games on mainstream shelves with the exact same purpose of this game?

I've been going on virtual killing sprees since I was like 10 years old, playing GTA2 on my Dreamcast. Just because someone condensed the game down to specifically that, doesn't make it any fundamentally different.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Geneaux View Post

Ok.
First, I, or anyone, don't care if you are an adult or 15 but as a human have some exercise some prudence, like it or not. Secondly, we're allowing a game to use murder AND mass-homocide as a form of entertainment, completely unlike the approach of many other well known games with similar violence, period. But suddenly its no big deal? Just because other games have violence? End of discussion? Laughable.
If you trying to equate video game violence to with a Middle eastern militia... nevermind.

Obviously you don't take any of this seriously or put under a hard light, but don't hold you tongue if say a potential shooter down the line draws inspiration exactly from this game. If you don't care, fine just say it, but don't act as if its nothing to be concerned about. We live in day an age where people can get or create the dumbest motivations for the most stupid of reasons and STILL potentially inflict massive physical harm on society. I'm not a psychiatrist but I'd rather not give them too much 'mental' ammo and excuses for horrific acts.

Again, there are a ton of games that use murder and mass-homicide as a form of entertainment. Pretty much any sandbox game featuring NPCs made in the last few years. Elder Scrolls, GTA, Saints Row, etc.

Everyone I know who's played those games, has gone on merciless killing sprees, generally targeting innocent "people". Because it's fun. Because it's not real.

If someone is motivated by this game to go and kill someone, then that's a problem with the person, not the game. If this game didn't exist, they would have found the "motivation" elsewhere, as tons of games feature stuff like this.
COST EFFECTIVE
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz 1.24v Asus P8P67 Vanilla ASUS GTX660Ti DirectCU OC @ 1,250MHz/7,000MHz G.Skill Eco 1600Mhz 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1TB (WD10EZEX) Intel 520 120GB LG SuperMulti CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ E2420HD Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless w/ MX blues Seasonic SS-650HT 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 500R Logitech G400 Steelseries QCK Asus Xonar DG 
AudioOther
Fiio E17 Alpen Beyerdynamic DT770 + Zalman clip-on mic 
  hide details  
Reply
COST EFFECTIVE
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5 2500K @ 4.4GHz 1.24v Asus P8P67 Vanilla ASUS GTX660Ti DirectCU OC @ 1,250MHz/7,000MHz G.Skill Eco 1600Mhz 7-8-7-24 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Caviar Blue 1TB (WD10EZEX) Intel 520 120GB LG SuperMulti CoolerMaster Hyper 212+ 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 BenQ E2420HD Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless w/ MX blues Seasonic SS-650HT 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 500R Logitech G400 Steelseries QCK Asus Xonar DG 
AudioOther
Fiio E17 Alpen Beyerdynamic DT770 + Zalman clip-on mic 
  hide details  
Reply
post #175 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunex View Post

If someone is motivated by this game to go and kill someone, then that's a problem with the person, not the game.
Lol
post #176 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunex View Post

I've been going on virtual killing sprees since I was like 10 years old, playing GTA2 on my Dreamcast. Just because someone condensed the game down to specifically that, doesn't make it any fundamentally different.
Again, there are a ton of games that use murder and mass-homicide as a form of entertainment. Pretty much any sandbox game featuring NPCs made in the last few years. Elder Scrolls, GTA, Saints Row, etc.

Everyone I know who's played those games, has gone on merciless killing sprees, generally targeting innocent "people". Because it's fun. Because it's not real.

If someone is motivated by this game to go and kill someone, then that's a problem with the person, not the game. If this game didn't exist, they would have found the "motivation" elsewhere, as tons of games feature stuff like this.

You are ignorant.
First of all ,kids are easy to blow mind. Second , did you see the setup of this game ? **** this world so I'm gonna kill everyone as vengeance. This game has no plot except killing innocent people because your life sucks. It motivates people to give up on their lifes if something goes wrong.
There is something wrong with you if you think there's nothing wrong with this game.
post #177 of 266
People need to start respecting games age ratings and stop complaining about teenagers being influenced by violent games.
post #178 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by xxroxx View Post

People need to start respecting games age ratings and stop complaining about teenagers being influenced by violent games.

its not only about teenagers
If a grown man in state of depression will play this crap theres a great chance that it will push him to commit a massacre.
You never know what individual will be playing these games, a grown man on lsd perhaps ?
post #179 of 266
Meh. We have TV shows that promote violence as well. I remember many years ago in UK few guys killed a person just like the video game "MAHNUNT"... I would say it is a problem with those kids not the game.

but truth is, those games or TV shows might bring out the dark part of the person. It won't happen to me or you but it will evantually happen to someone.

The main thing to do here is to make sure our kids stay away from these games. I am not saying they should not play the game until 18 or something, but we should allow them when we are so sure that the kid is in a happy place and psychological stable.

Killing a person in COD is one thing but brutally murder is another thing if you ask me.

If today a kid fires up a FPS game and sees Muslims are terrorists in the game, unfortunately they might just believe that and accept that. Who knows deep in that growing mind he might accept brutal murder or any other violent stuff as well. Believe it or not, video games are an influence for kids. While for you and me that brutal murder could be a fun moment, it might give a different effect on a kid.
post #180 of 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunex View Post

I've been going on virtual killing sprees since I was like 10 years old, playing GTA2 on my Dreamcast. Just because someone condensed the game down to specifically that, doesn't make it any fundamentally different.
I know it doesn't but its equally disconcerting if it isn't concerning in the slightest for people, all elements considered.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunex View Post

Again, there are a ton of games that use murder and mass-homicide as a form of entertainment. Pretty much any sandbox game featuring NPCs made in the last few years. Elder Scrolls, GTA, Saints Row, etc.
Those game actually other things going for them like story, history, other game mechanics, etc. This does not, and that is were the difference begins.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunex View Post

Everyone I know who's played those games, has gone on merciless killing sprees, generally targeting innocent "people". Because it's fun. Because it's not real.
It's not a matter of playing a game for merciless killing sprees, at least in most people's minds when they pick up a copy of the above said games and weren't marketed for the sole purpose of genocide mind you. If they included elements of it, it was mostly historical and completely irrelevant to the player, ie Elder Scrolls. For what purpose people bought these games, its not in my place to say. However, says a bit of a person if they bought for that specific purpose and I couldn't think of many who would or at all personally. I don't buy the game just so I can go on a merciless killing spree for the sake of it. Mostly because it's pointless and kinda belittles the game in whatever it set out to achieve in my eyes. I find it quite frankly imho, pretty childish. Games employ tons of things to increase replayability, it's just that wanton slaughter isn't one of them in my book.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fortunex View Post

If someone is motivated by this game to go and kill someone, then that's a problem with the person, not the game. If this game didn't exist, they would have found the "motivation" elsewhere, as tons of games feature stuff like this.
We have people here trying to build, market, and push a simpleminded game on society on solely tasteless values. If that much is not worth criticizing, I don't know what is.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyson Poindexter View Post

More people die from car accidents than from school shootings (35,200 vs less than 100 for 2013) Why aren't you up in arms about Need for Speed: Underground?
Why is it my job to take it seriously? Mass killings are a tiny fraction of deaths in the world. I think if you compare the number of people who play violent video games, and the number of spree killers, you'll observe that video games don't make people become spree killers.

Your "massive physical harm on society" caused by video games doesn't exist. The dozen or so school shooters/ spree killers did what they did because they were bullied or had mental heath issues. Not because they played CS:GO one night. By your logic, someone who glorifies the Halo franchise might as well be a psychopath.

More importantly, why do you get to decide what is appropriate for me to do? My concern is more about censorship. The bigger threat is allowing our information to be curated by someone with an agenda. Who's morality do we get to go by? By the numbers, racing games are far more dangerous than any violent game is, if video games cause people to act out what they play. Fight those.
The more you pull out irrelevant numbers, the more you dodge the morality of things. I not going to bother picking apart your argument because it just so flawed and backwards from the start.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Games - General
Overclock.net › Forums › Video Games › Video Games - General › [kotaku]The Kind of Video Game Violence That Disturbs Me