Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Looking for a Point and Shoot Camer
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a Point and Shoot Camer

post #1 of 7
Thread Starter 
Hey

I am looking for a point and shoot camera that is of decent quality. My price range for it is 250 to 500.
I was going through Amazon and BH this afternoon, trying to figure out a few good ones, but, I couldn't make up for any worth while decision.

One of the only requirements that I have for the camera is that it has GPS recording ability.

Everything else is bonus, but, that doesn't mean to say I want to skimp out and get some crappy camera that can't take decent pictures.

There will be some videos taken, but not nearly the same as the amount of pictures that will be taken, so while video quality doesn't have to be excellent, again, not crappy.

I haven't had a decent camera in some time, and have been relying on phone cameras for some time, so I am really out of the game on this one. So I need some assistance to find something nice.

I was looking at the RX-100, but on my only downfall was that it didn't have GPS or any type of GPS add-on. I was a bit bummed by that.
Edited by Lige - 10/20/14 at 8:08am
Gaming
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Crosshair IV Formula GTX 560 GTX 580 
RAMRAMRAMRAM
G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI  G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Hard Drive Seagate Hard Drive Crucial M4 SSD Sony Optiarc 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H70 Windows 7 Professional x64 ASUS VH242H 23" Monitor ASUS VH242H 23" Monitor 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" Monitor Logitech G15 Corsair 1K PSU Lian-Li 70A 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Performance MX Razer Vespula HT Omega Pro+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Crosshair IV Formula GTX 560 GTX 580 
RAMRAMRAMRAM
G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI  G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Hard Drive Seagate Hard Drive Crucial M4 SSD Sony Optiarc 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H70 Windows 7 Professional x64 ASUS VH242H 23" Monitor ASUS VH242H 23" Monitor 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" Monitor Logitech G15 Corsair 1K PSU Lian-Li 70A 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Performance MX Razer Vespula HT Omega Pro+ 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 7
It dosent have GPS, but the Canon EOS-M is an awesome bargin for a smaller camera.

It has basically the same internals as the entry level DSLR cameras, and when it was new it was around $800, and basically when it was released, its price and poor firmware out of the box made it DOA, but then the price dropped to $300, the firmware got upgraded, and its an awesome little camera.

The build is awesome, 3" touch screen, magnesium alloy body ( aka built like a tank ) and the kit lens's for it are fantastic.

Its going to be slightly bigger than a point and shoot, but the image quality is one of the best for a camera its size.
Its basically a DSLR you can carry in your pocket.

Video quality is top as well, full 1080 support.


I know it doesn't have GPS like you wanted, but we're talking images, not GPS units.


Otherwise I know there are quite a few point and shoot's with GPS, but I've never seen anything in the $300 price range with the build quality, image quality, and lens quality as the EOS-M

(image from the camera, shot in RAW and edited a little bit with lightroom )

While GPS is a neat feature, I never really bothered me not having it on a camera, and if I really want to mark my position, I just take a quick snapshot with my phone, and it logs its GPS data that you can attach to the photo later if you want to. Built in GPS drains camera batteries like crazy, so thats why you only really find them on more affordable cameras. But there is a canon GPS unit you can buy and attach to the camera.
post #3 of 7
Canon G16. similar in quality with ability for more manual control and attachment of lens accessories if desired. with use of wifi built into the camera its possible to Geo Tag photos through the app or something. ive never tested it personally but i know it supports it. if youre looking for good IQ, the G16 is one possible alternative
Montage mkIII
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero EVGA 980Ti Classified Corsair 16GB DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 240GB EVO 850 Samsung 128GB EVO 830 Samsung 1TB EVO 850 CM 212EVO  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Dell U2713HM Logitech 810 EVGA Supernova 750W P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder Steelpad QcK Audioengine D1 
Audio
Audio-technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
Montage mkIII
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero EVGA 980Ti Classified Corsair 16GB DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 240GB EVO 850 Samsung 128GB EVO 830 Samsung 1TB EVO 850 CM 212EVO  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Dell U2713HM Logitech 810 EVGA Supernova 750W P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder Steelpad QcK Audioengine D1 
Audio
Audio-technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 7
yeah, that would be a good one too, probably more user friendly than the EOS-M,

also has the perks of a flash, and I think a tilty-flippy screen. viewfinder and other additional goodies.

( my EOS-M is a backup to a DSLR I have, so when I need to have more buttons and features, I just use that one )
post #5 of 7
the G16 doesnt have a flip screen but i think others might. look into the G1X and the new G7x. not sure what features they have other than that they are the high end for canon P&S. no clue what their price point is either but worth researching
Montage mkIII
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero EVGA 980Ti Classified Corsair 16GB DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 240GB EVO 850 Samsung 128GB EVO 830 Samsung 1TB EVO 850 CM 212EVO  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Dell U2713HM Logitech 810 EVGA Supernova 750W P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder Steelpad QcK Audioengine D1 
Audio
Audio-technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
Montage mkIII
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6700K ASUS ROG Maximus VIII Hero EVGA 980Ti Classified Corsair 16GB DDR4-3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 240GB EVO 850 Samsung 128GB EVO 830 Samsung 1TB EVO 850 CM 212EVO  
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 Dell U2713HM Logitech 810 EVGA Supernova 750W P2 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair 450D Razer Deathadder Steelpad QcK Audioengine D1 
Audio
Audio-technica ATH-A900X 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 7
The Canon S120 is in that price range with WiFi too.

Just remember, WiFi and GPS will both drain your battery...and when we're talking smaller point & shoots, that additional battery drain can be a big deal. 99.9% of the time, I have WiFi completely disabled on my 70D for that very reason, and its battery is much bigger.

EDIT - The G1X Refurb is only $350 at Canon direct right now. It doesn't have WiFi/GPS, but it's totally a steal at that price. The sensor is very near APS-C size.
Edited by hokiealumnus - 10/20/14 at 12:11pm
post #7 of 7
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Conspiracy View Post

Canon G16. similar in quality with ability for more manual control and attachment of lens accessories if desired. with use of wifi built into the camera its possible to Geo Tag photos through the app or something. ive never tested it personally but i know it supports it. if youre looking for good IQ, the G16 is one possible alternative

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jixr View Post

It dosent have GPS, but the Canon EOS-M is an awesome bargin for a smaller camera.

It has basically the same internals as the entry level DSLR cameras, and when it was new it was around $800, and basically when it was released, its price and poor firmware out of the box made it DOA, but then the price dropped to $300, the firmware got upgraded, and its an awesome little camera.

The build is awesome, 3" touch screen, magnesium alloy body ( aka built like a tank ) and the kit lens's for it are fantastic.

Its going to be slightly bigger than a point and shoot, but the image quality is one of the best for a camera its size.
Its basically a DSLR you can carry in your pocket.

Video quality is top as well, full 1080 support.


I know it doesn't have GPS like you wanted, but we're talking images, not GPS units.


Otherwise I know there are quite a few point and shoot's with GPS, but I've never seen anything in the $300 price range with the build quality, image quality, and lens quality as the EOS-M

(image from the camera, shot in RAW and edited a little bit with lightroom )

While GPS is a neat feature, I never really bothered me not having it on a camera, and if I really want to mark my position, I just take a quick snapshot with my phone, and it logs its GPS data that you can attach to the photo later if you want to. Built in GPS drains camera batteries like crazy, so thats why you only really find them on more affordable cameras. But there is a canon GPS unit you can buy and attach to the camera.

Quote:
Originally Posted by hokiealumnus View Post

The Canon S120 is in that price range with WiFi too.

Just remember, WiFi and GPS will both drain your battery...and when we're talking smaller point & shoots, that additional battery drain can be a big deal. 99.9% of the time, I have WiFi completely disabled on my 70D for that very reason, and its battery is much bigger.

EDIT - The G1X Refurb is only $350 at Canon direct right now. It doesn't have WiFi/GPS, but it's totally a steal at that price. The sensor is very near APS-C size.


So first off, I didn't realize that GPS tagging would be enable through an Application, so that actually opens up a lot of possibilities for this, so then I guess WiFi is more of a requirement then an actual GPS chip in the device. But I guess that also depends on the manufacturer and application developers if they wanted too allow something like that? The G7 X doesn't have a GPS chip, but does have WiFi and NFC. But why does it have NFC? Un;ess it is a powered NFC chip, I don't see a point with that. Does the Sony Cyber-Shot RX100 III (I started off looking at this camera, even though it is above my budget) have GPS tagging through some form of application as well?

The G7 X actually would be perfect, but itis 200 dollars more then my price point, unfortunately. But I could work with that honestly. I would just need to find a way to get it a bit cheaper, or use gift cards or something to get it down a bit.

At the moment, I am pretty tired, so I will continue researching tomorrow.
Gaming
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Crosshair IV Formula GTX 560 GTX 580 
RAMRAMRAMRAM
G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI  G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Hard Drive Seagate Hard Drive Crucial M4 SSD Sony Optiarc 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H70 Windows 7 Professional x64 ASUS VH242H 23" Monitor ASUS VH242H 23" Monitor 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" Monitor Logitech G15 Corsair 1K PSU Lian-Li 70A 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Performance MX Razer Vespula HT Omega Pro+ 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD Phenom II X6 1090T Crosshair IV Formula GTX 560 GTX 580 
RAMRAMRAMRAM
G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI  G. Skill F3-12800CL6D-4GBPI 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate Hard Drive Seagate Hard Drive Crucial M4 SSD Sony Optiarc 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair H70 Windows 7 Professional x64 ASUS VH242H 23" Monitor ASUS VH242H 23" Monitor 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster 906BW 19" Monitor Logitech G15 Corsair 1K PSU Lian-Li 70A 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech Performance MX Razer Vespula HT Omega Pro+ 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Photography
Overclock.net › Forums › Consumer Electronics › Photography › Looking for a Point and Shoot Camer