Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Gamespot] Indie First-Person Shooter Removed from Steam After Developer Threatens Gabe Newell
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Gamespot] Indie First-Person Shooter Removed from Steam After Developer Threatens Gabe Newell - Page 6

post #51 of 162
LOL this is too much!!!!!
GamerTank
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-750 2.66ghz @ 4.0ghz FPO/Batch# L010B859 EVGA P55 FTW LGA1156 Intel P55 EVGA GeForce GTX 570 SC with High Flow Bracket G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600mhz 240-pin 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - SATA Model iHAS124-04 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1 Asus VH238H 23" 2ms 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Black USB Wired LED Backlighting OCZZ850M OCZ-Z Series 850W 80PLUS GOLD Modular Cooler Master HAF 932 with HAF X window side panel Logitech G400 USB Wired Optical Sensor 200-3600dpi 
Mouse Pad
steelseries QcK+/ XTRAC PADS Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
GamerTank
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Core i5-750 2.66ghz @ 4.0ghz FPO/Batch# L010B859 EVGA P55 FTW LGA1156 Intel P55 EVGA GeForce GTX 570 SC with High Flow Bracket G.SKILL Ripjaws 4GB (2 x 2GB) DDR3 1600mhz 240-pin 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD Caviar Black WD7501AALS 750GB 7200 RPM 32MB LITE-ON CD/DVD Burner - SATA Model iHAS124-04 Microsoft Windows 7 Ultimate 64-bit Service Pack 1 Asus VH238H 23" 2ms 250 cd/m2 ASCR 50,000,000:1 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G110 Black USB Wired LED Backlighting OCZZ850M OCZ-Z Series 850W 80PLUS GOLD Modular Cooler Master HAF 932 with HAF X window side panel Logitech G400 USB Wired Optical Sensor 200-3600dpi 
Mouse Pad
steelseries QcK+/ XTRAC PADS Ripper 
  hide details  
Reply
post #52 of 162
The Steam response is more idiotic than the developer. They took action as if the so called threat was real, yet if they actually believed the guy was a mentally insane murderer, the last thing you would do is provoke him on purpose by taking his game off steam.

So in other words, it's obvious they don't think there is any real threat, yet they pretend like there is.
post #53 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ach View Post

The Steam response is more idiotic than the developer. They took action as if the so called threat was real, yet if they actually believed the guy was a mentally insane murderer, the last thing you would do is provoke him on purpose by taking his game off steam.

So in other words, it's obvious they don't think there is any real threat, yet they pretend like there is.



headscratch.gifkookoo.gif

Quote:
"We have removed the game’s sales page and ceased relations with the developer after he threatened to kill one of our employees," a Valve spokeperson told Kotaku.


Whose job is it to decipher well this threat is real or not?
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
The 3930
(26 items)
 
Junior's 3930
(22 items)
 
DATA/HTPC
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #54 of 162
I had never heard of this individual, or his games, until I saw this thread, so maybe his publicity stunt worked.
Quote:
Originally Posted by curly haired boy View Post

what IS it with people and death threats these days?

What do you mean these days? Death threats are as old as language.

Social media just makes them more public.
Quote:
Originally Posted by tsm106 View Post

Whose job is it to decipher well this threat is real or not?

General assumption should be that all threats are false as most people seriously intent on killing someone are not going to tell anyone, especially their target, about it.

Of course, that doesn't mean one shouldn't be prepared.
Primary
(15 items)
 
Secondary
(13 items)
 
In progress
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @ 4.3/3.6GHz core/uncore, 1.225/1.2v Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F22n) 2x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC New Edition (10036... 4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-11-12-27-T1, 1.37v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.05) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x) 2x Crucial M4 256GB 4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB Cooler Master Nepton 280L 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 BenQ BL3200PT Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown) Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G402 Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5670 @ 4.4/3.2GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.2... Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS Reference R9 290X w/Stilt's MLU 1000e / 1375m E... 2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2000, 10-11-11-30-T1,... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2000, 10-11-11-3... OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB Hyundai Sapphire 120GB 3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 Antec TP-750 Fractal Design R5 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6800K @ 4.3/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.36/1.2v ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.10) GTX 780 (temporary) 4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe 2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB Corsair H55 (temporary) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-860XP2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
Primary
(15 items)
 
Secondary
(13 items)
 
In progress
(10 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820K @ 4.3/3.6GHz core/uncore, 1.225/1.2v Gigabyte X99 SOC Champion (F22n) 2x Sapphire R9 290X Tri-X OC New Edition (10036... 4x4GiB Crucial @ 2667, 12-11-12-27-T1, 1.37v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Plextor M6e 128GB (fw 1.05) M.2 (PCI-E 2.0 2x) 2x Crucial M4 256GB 4x WD Scorpio Black 500GB Cooler Master Nepton 280L 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 Professional x64 SP1 BenQ BL3200PT Filco Majestouch Tenkeyless (MX Brown) Corsair RM1000x 
CaseMouseAudio
Fractal Design Define R4 Logitech G402 Realtek ALC1150 + M-Audio AV40 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
X5670 @ 4.4/3.2GHz core/uncore, 1.36 vcore, 1.2... Gigabyte X58A-UD5 r2.0 w/FF3mod10 BIOS Reference R9 290X w/Stilt's MLU 1000e / 1375m E... 2x Samsung MV-3V4G3D/US @ 2000, 10-11-11-30-T1,... 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
1x Crucial BLT4G3D1608ET3LX0 @ 2000, 10-11-11-3... OCZ (Toshiba) Trion 150 120GB Hyundai Sapphire 120GB 3x Hitachi Deskstar 7k1000.C 1TB 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NH-D14 Windows 7 Pro x64 SP1 Antec TP-750 Fractal Design R5 
Audio
ASUS Xonar DS 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6800K @ 4.3/3.5GHz core/uncore, 1.36/1.2v ASRock X99 OC Formula (P3.10) GTX 780 (temporary) 4x4GiB Crucial DDR4-2400 @ 11-13-12-28-T2, 1.33v 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Intel 600p 256GB NVMe 2x HGST Travelstar 7k1000 1TB Corsair H55 (temporary) Windows Server 2016 Datacenter 
PowerCase
Seasonic SS-860XP2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Reply
post #55 of 162
Don't know if it's been posted in here yet; But he's standing down from the project completely;

Source
Quote:
Yesterday, Paranautical Activity released out of steam Early Access, and following some confusion about the state of the game I became frustrated with Steam, and tweeted a series of angry tweets that ended in me sarcastically saying I was going to kill Gabe Newell. A statement I obviously didn’t mean but was regardless completely unacceptable.

As a result of my actions, Paranautical Activity, a game made by 4 or 5 people depending on who you count as team members, was removed from steam. I feel is it my responsibility to step down from Code Avarice completely so that Steam has no reason to harbor any more ill will towards the company, and maybe even if we can’t see Paranautical Activity restored, at least future Code Avarice games may be allowed onto the platform.

I’m really, deeply sorry that my short sighted, hot tempered actions resulted in not only my own dreams and aspirations being destroyed, but those of the entire team I worked with. I’m sorry that my statements made Valve and/or Gabe uncomfortable and upset (rightfully so).

My temper and tendency to use twitter to vent has been a consistent problem since I entered the games industry, and I just can’t do it. I don’t have the willpower necessary to be the “face” of a company. If I do continue to work in games it’ll be as an anonymous 1 of 1000 at some ****ty corporation, not the most public figure of a single digit sized team.

I’ve sold my half of Code Avarice to Travis. Given up all my rights to CA as a company, and all it’s intellectual properties. I won’t receive any money from the sale of Paranautical Activity or any future games CA develops, I won’t be consulted on business decisions, and I won’t have any hand in development.

I’m out.
post #56 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by r0ach View Post

The Steam response is more idiotic than the developer. They took action as if the so called threat was real, yet if they actually believed the guy was a mentally insane murderer, the last thing you would do is provoke him on purpose by taking his game off steam.

So in other words, it's obvious they don't think there is any real threat, yet they pretend like there is.
Idiotic that they punished stupid behavior in their own store? It's not about they believed it to be real. It's about the fact that you don't say such stuff to your business partner, and especially not in public for all to see.
Valve HAD to react or people would suddenly think its ok.
post #57 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Artikbot View Post

Only for idiots with no foresight beyond the hive mind.

A bit unfair to say, considering many of us were around before him, watched PC gaming die off, and then watched him resurrect/save PC gaming. I am not one to really just throw credit at people if it isn't earned, but I am a huge fan of GabeN. What he and his platform have done for PC gaming was nothing short of historical, and didn't just shift the paradigm - he created a new one.

While I find all the fun around his persona to be, well, fun, I fully respect the man and have stated several times on this forum I wholly believe he saved PC gaming. So I wouldn't be so quick to slam those who like to keep an eye on the happenings of GabeN.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RagingCain View Post

I think it goes to show there is something seriously wrong in some of the gaming community, especially with American gamers (from my experience).

Combine this with the LoL toxicity, #GamerGate vs. Women Developer's Views (I don't want to say "feminist" since it is specific to female developers in gaming), et cetera.

I think we have a serious problem boiling within our ranks. Everybody knows, when it comes to gaming & violence, we have always been on thin ice (despite research). That last thing we need is lawmakers needing an excuse to come in and jack everything up.

I agree with you.

The culture around gaming here in the United States today is disgusting. As much as I hate to to point fingers, most of it I see in the generations that have come after me, those in their 20's and teens at this point. Of course you have issues with a handful of people in their 30s and 40s+, but those aren't nearly as common, they aren't engrained in those groups.

I am not sure when it happened, but at some point online gaming turned from having fun with strangers and challenging each other to a contest of skill, to calling SWAT teams in and making death threats. Sorry, things like this just didn't happen too many years ago, it is relatively new, at least in the current scale of events.
Edited by PostalTwinkie - 10/21/14 at 10:49am
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #58 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

A bit unfair to say, considering many of us were around before him, watched PC gaming die off, and then watched him resurrect/save PC gaming. I am not one to really just throw credit at people if it isn't earned, but I am a huge fan of GabeN. What he and his platform have done for PC gaming was nothing short of historical, and didn't just shift the paradigm - he created a new one.

While I find all the fun around his persona to be, well, fun, I fully respect the man and have stated several times on this forum I wholly believe he saved PC gaming. So I wouldn't be so quick to slam those who like to keep an eye on the happenings of GabeN.

I have to agree, and not only with Windows. Look at what he's done for Linux in just a couple of short years. They helped AMD/Nvidia with graphics drivers and have now helped push out over 700 game titles, 99% of which we wouldn't have without them. A fair bit of which have just been ports, some of relatively big games. And we've had a bunch of big AAA publishers say they'll start supporting Linux as well, so it's really just a matter of time for us now, to wait for new games to start coming out.
post #59 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Shrak View Post

Don't know if it's been posted in here yet; But he's standing down from the project completely;

Source
Quote:
Yesterday, Paranautical Activity released out of steam Early Access, and following some confusion about the state of the game I became frustrated with Steam, and tweeted a series of angry tweets that ended in me sarcastically saying I was going to kill Gabe Newell. A statement I obviously didn’t mean but was regardless completely unacceptable.

As a result of my actions, Paranautical Activity, a game made by 4 or 5 people depending on who you count as team members, was removed from steam. I feel is it my responsibility to step down from Code Avarice completely so that Steam has no reason to harbor any more ill will towards the company, and maybe even if we can’t see Paranautical Activity restored, at least future Code Avarice games may be allowed onto the platform.

I’m really, deeply sorry that my short sighted, hot tempered actions resulted in not only my own dreams and aspirations being destroyed, but those of the entire team I worked with. I’m sorry that my statements made Valve and/or Gabe uncomfortable and upset (rightfully so).

My temper and tendency to use twitter to vent has been a consistent problem since I entered the games industry, and I just can’t do it. I don’t have the willpower necessary to be the “face” of a company. If I do continue to work in games it’ll be as an anonymous 1 of 1000 at some ****ty corporation, not the most public figure of a single digit sized team.

I’ve sold my half of Code Avarice to Travis. Given up all my rights to CA as a company, and all it’s intellectual properties. I won’t receive any money from the sale of Paranautical Activity or any future games CA develops, I won’t be consulted on business decisions, and I won’t have any hand in development.

I’m out.

What a humble guy rolleyes.gif Even in his apology he is still angry. I know people with this attitude, and they always end up getting what they deserve.
Music/Gaming rig
(16 items)
 
My System
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO PNY GTX 560 ti 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate 1TB Windows Home 64x Raidmax rx 850 AE Antec DF-85 
  hide details  
Reply
Music/Gaming rig
(16 items)
 
My System
(13 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 2500K ASUS P8Z68 V-PRO PNY GTX 560 ti 16gb Corsair Vengeance 1600mhz 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
Seagate 1TB Windows Home 64x Raidmax rx 850 AE Antec DF-85 
  hide details  
Reply
post #60 of 162
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blameless View Post

I had never heard of this individual, or his games, until I saw this thread, so maybe his publicity stunt worked.
What do you mean these days? Death threats are as old as language.

Social media just makes them more public.
General assumption should be that all threats are false as most people seriously intent on killing someone are not going to tell anyone, especially their target, about it.

Of course, that doesn't mean one shouldn't be prepared.
yeah, but the number of people who were willing to say them has definitely increased....
"The Fridge"
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770k (lapped and delidded) ASUS Maximus VII Hero Geforce GTX Titan X Corsair Vengeance 16GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 256GB SSD None Corsair H100i Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VS239 Corsair RGB K70 Corsair AX860 NZXT H440 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair M65  Custom 2mm Teflon Onboard SupremeFX 
  hide details  
Reply
"The Fridge"
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 4770k (lapped and delidded) ASUS Maximus VII Hero Geforce GTX Titan X Corsair Vengeance 16GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung EVO 256GB SSD None Corsair H100i Windows 7 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS VS239 Corsair RGB K70 Corsair AX860 NZXT H440 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Corsair M65  Custom 2mm Teflon Onboard SupremeFX 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Gamespot] Indie First-Person Shooter Removed from Steam After Developer Threatens Gabe Newell