- EKWB DDC Heatsink Mod
Yesterday I took all of the parts which were unboxed in the previous update over to Pexons so he could finish off the sleeving and I could be relatively sure everything would actually fit together. While most things went extremely well a rather significant problem was unearthed in the process. It was actually the first time the radiator had been united with the other components all of which were chosen and positioned based on a quite detailed CAD model I had made of the case, some parts were measured and some taken from manufacturers drawings. I had realised earlier in the process that the fitting(s) between the pump inlet and the radiator would present a challenge and thought the Bitspower mini-snake would just manage to bridge the gap. Unfortunately when all of the pieces came together they didn't quite line up.
But i'm pleased to say I devised an exceptionally cunning plan. Moving the radiator wasn't an option, i'd already changed the fittings to the closest possible option, the pump top has already been modded to mitigate the problem... but if it just moved down a little bit, it might just fit!
If it could drop by 3mm then things would be looking up. As it turned out EK put some 'extra' metal into the anti-vibration feet assembly which amounted to about 3mm...
After facing off the heatsink bolts in the lathe I cleaned out the ends of the threads so they still screwed on nicely.
Naturally this meant that the feet wouldn't fit any more now the thread was much shorter. I figured 4x 5mmxM4 threads were probably overkill at aiding gravity to hold the res down, out with the saw and finished up with the lathe
I had to employ the help of an M4 nut to hold the foot while I faced the end.
Ok back to my desk! And i've got distracted by the lights subtly illuminating the delicate contours of the iPPC...
What were we doing? Oh yeah DDC heatsink mod... here you can see a modded bolt and foot alongside an original.
Now you can see the anti-vibration mounts fit flush up to the heatsink, saving precious space.
The bolts secure the heatsink, which replaces the stock DDC body to the pump top which in the process secures the pump in the middle sealing it against the top. In order for the heatsink to work effectively a 1mm thermal pad is applied to the PCB.
And there's the little chap all put together, now how am I going to fit this in the case
Both halves about to be joined. I don't think working such fine tolerances would be possible without the modularity of the Parvum. The freedom to remove any side is essential when things are this tight.
Wooo! The radiator it fits! The loop is complete, well it's not because the vertical pipe is 3mm too short now but I can address that tomorrow. I couldn't resist seeing how all of the parts would fit, this is basically everything aside the 24-pin. There's even room for two HyperX's!!!!
Things are taking shape around the front side too. Look at dat ram as well, I bet you didn't even see it in there.
So that's all for today, expect to see plenty more updates over the next few days and i'll sneak some more flattering pics of Pexons fine craftsmanship in too. Tomorrow I will be tearing it down so I can drill the floor to mount the SSD's and pump.