Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › X99 Xeon Overclock
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

X99 Xeon Overclock - Page 4

post #31 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by iRUSH View Post

Is there a thread here that provides details on Xeon? Such as generations and their overclocking capabilities.

I don't think that there is one thread that contains all this under one roof. Overclocking Xeons I something that was done rather easily in the past, but has become more rare in the present (after Westmere) due to the locking of the FSB straps in the newer processors.

Rules of thumb:

1) All Xeons prior to Sandy Bridge-EP were overclockable using FSB adjustments if you could find a compliant motherboard.
2) All Nehalem single processor Nehalem/Westmere Xeons (W35xx or W36xx) are unlocked.
3) All 6-core and 8-core E5-1600 V1, V2 and V3 series CPUs are fully unlocked.
4) E5-1600 quad cores are not guaranteed to be unlocked and their status may change from one generation to the next.
5) ALL dual capable Xeons are multiplier locked. ALL dual capable Xeons up to present models (starting with Sandy Bridge-EP) are HARD LOCKED, with both multiplier and BCLK straps being locked. They can only be overclocked a few MHz using basic FSB adjustment.

One interesting footnote: There has been only one unlocked dual capable processor ever produced by Intel...that being the QX9775, launched with it's D5400XS motherboard, which together formed a platform called Skulltrail. Intel foolishly allowed all LGA771 Xeons (even the really cheap ones) to function on (and be overclocked by) this motherboard, which hurt the sales of the ultra-expensive QX9775 severely. They've used the poor sales of the QX9775 as justification ever since for not releasing a new version of Skulltrail.
New Gamer
(12 items)
 
Beater
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7-6950X ASUS Rampage 10 Edition  NVidia Titan X Pascal NVidia Titan X Pascal 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2800MHz Intel P3700 2TB Samsung SM961 1TB 2x Samsung PM1725 SSD 6.4TB (11.6TB Windows Sof... 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Corsair H110 2x140mm AIO water cooler Windows 7 Ultimate Corsair AX1500i Corsair Vengeance C70 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V3 Asrock X99E-itx/ac EVGA GeForce Titan X Superclocked 64GB (2x32GB) Crucial DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB Panasonic Slim Blu-ray Asetek 92mm AIO (w/Delta PWM fans push/pull) Windows 10 Professional 
PowerCase
Corsair SF600 NCase M1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2x Xeon E5-2687W V2 Asus Z9PE-D8 GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256GB Samsung PC3-14900R LRDIMMs Intel P3700 2.0TB (NVMe boot) ASUS Blu-ray  2x Intel Retail LGA2011-3 HSF 
OSPowerCase
Windows Server 2012 Standard R2 Corsair AX1500i 1500W Chenbro SR10769 
  hide details  
Reply
New Gamer
(12 items)
 
Beater
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7-6950X ASUS Rampage 10 Edition  NVidia Titan X Pascal NVidia Titan X Pascal 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2800MHz Intel P3700 2TB Samsung SM961 1TB 2x Samsung PM1725 SSD 6.4TB (11.6TB Windows Sof... 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Corsair H110 2x140mm AIO water cooler Windows 7 Ultimate Corsair AX1500i Corsair Vengeance C70 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V3 Asrock X99E-itx/ac EVGA GeForce Titan X Superclocked 64GB (2x32GB) Crucial DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB Panasonic Slim Blu-ray Asetek 92mm AIO (w/Delta PWM fans push/pull) Windows 10 Professional 
PowerCase
Corsair SF600 NCase M1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2x Xeon E5-2687W V2 Asus Z9PE-D8 GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256GB Samsung PC3-14900R LRDIMMs Intel P3700 2.0TB (NVMe boot) ASUS Blu-ray  2x Intel Retail LGA2011-3 HSF 
OSPowerCase
Windows Server 2012 Standard R2 Corsair AX1500i 1500W Chenbro SR10769 
  hide details  
Reply
post #32 of 58
Is there any hope or rays of hope that bios bclk straps could be unlocked (not multiplier ) like x1.25 or x1.67 in distant future ? For 26xx v3 xeons? They seem to get cheaper overtime when there are alot of bulk sales going around in future?
post #33 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by mohiuddin View Post

Is there any hope or rays of hope that bios bclk straps could be unlocked (not multiplier ) like x1.25 or x1.67 in distant future ? For 26xx v3 xeons? They seem to get cheaper overtime when there are alot of bulk sales going around in future?

About the same chance as a snowball has in hell...wink.gif
New Gamer
(12 items)
 
Beater
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7-6950X ASUS Rampage 10 Edition  NVidia Titan X Pascal NVidia Titan X Pascal 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2800MHz Intel P3700 2TB Samsung SM961 1TB 2x Samsung PM1725 SSD 6.4TB (11.6TB Windows Sof... 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Corsair H110 2x140mm AIO water cooler Windows 7 Ultimate Corsair AX1500i Corsair Vengeance C70 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V3 Asrock X99E-itx/ac EVGA GeForce Titan X Superclocked 64GB (2x32GB) Crucial DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB Panasonic Slim Blu-ray Asetek 92mm AIO (w/Delta PWM fans push/pull) Windows 10 Professional 
PowerCase
Corsair SF600 NCase M1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2x Xeon E5-2687W V2 Asus Z9PE-D8 GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256GB Samsung PC3-14900R LRDIMMs Intel P3700 2.0TB (NVMe boot) ASUS Blu-ray  2x Intel Retail LGA2011-3 HSF 
OSPowerCase
Windows Server 2012 Standard R2 Corsair AX1500i 1500W Chenbro SR10769 
  hide details  
Reply
New Gamer
(12 items)
 
Beater
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7-6950X ASUS Rampage 10 Edition  NVidia Titan X Pascal NVidia Titan X Pascal 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2800MHz Intel P3700 2TB Samsung SM961 1TB 2x Samsung PM1725 SSD 6.4TB (11.6TB Windows Sof... 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Corsair H110 2x140mm AIO water cooler Windows 7 Ultimate Corsair AX1500i Corsair Vengeance C70 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V3 Asrock X99E-itx/ac EVGA GeForce Titan X Superclocked 64GB (2x32GB) Crucial DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB Panasonic Slim Blu-ray Asetek 92mm AIO (w/Delta PWM fans push/pull) Windows 10 Professional 
PowerCase
Corsair SF600 NCase M1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2x Xeon E5-2687W V2 Asus Z9PE-D8 GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256GB Samsung PC3-14900R LRDIMMs Intel P3700 2.0TB (NVMe boot) ASUS Blu-ray  2x Intel Retail LGA2011-3 HSF 
OSPowerCase
Windows Server 2012 Standard R2 Corsair AX1500i 1500W Chenbro SR10769 
  hide details  
Reply
post #34 of 58
Can we hope for Purley to be the next Westmere and that EVGA will release a SR-3 mobo for it?

post #35 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutjens View Post

I don't think that there is one thread that contains all this under one roof. Overclocking Xeons I something that was done rather easily in the past, but has become more rare in the present (after Westmere) due to the locking of the FSB straps in the newer processors.

Rules of thumb:

1) All Xeons prior to Sandy Bridge-EP were overclockable using FSB adjustments if you could find a compliant motherboard.
2) All Nehalem single processor Nehalem/Westmere Xeons (W35xx or W36xx) are unlocked.
3) All 6-core and 8-core E5-1600 V1, V2 and V3 series CPUs are fully unlocked.
4) E5-1600 quad cores are not guaranteed to be unlocked and their status may change from one generation to the next.
5) ALL dual capable Xeons are multiplier locked. ALL dual capable Xeons up to present models (starting with Sandy Bridge-EP) are HARD LOCKED, with both multiplier and BCLK straps being locked. They can only be overclocked a few MHz using basic FSB adjustment.

One interesting footnote: There has been only one unlocked dual capable processor ever produced by Intel...that being the QX9775, launched with it's D5400XS motherboard, which together formed a platform called Skulltrail. Intel foolishly allowed all LGA771 Xeons (even the really cheap ones) to function on (and be overclocked by) this motherboard, which hurt the sales of the ultra-expensive QX9775 severely. They've used the poor sales of the QX9775 as justification ever since for not releasing a new version of Skulltrail.

Hi Lutjens,

Do you have any references?

How did you came to these conclusions?

What about E5-4600 v3 & v4 SKus?

Best regards,

Jimmy.
post #36 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by jiman View Post

Hi Lutjens,

Do you have any references?

How did you came to these conclusions?

What about E5-4600 v3 & v4 SKus?

Best regards,

Jimmy.

The points I have made are well known facts.

1) Very well known fact, as evidenced by the very large collection of overclocked Xeons on X58 boards in the Intel forum. Xeons prior to Nehalem/Westmere were overclockable on certain boards (like the D5400XS) and long before that on older platforms/boards like the PC-DL, which was quite popular overclocking 1.6GHz LV Xeons into the stratosphere.

2) Everything I've seen regarding the W3xxx chips indicates they are all unlocked. The W3690 I have is fully unlocked (1st hand experience)

3) Again, direct first hand experience. I've personally owned and overclocked a Xeon E5-1650, an E5-1660, E5-1680 V2 and an E5-1680 V3.

4) Statement made due to some people finding their quad core Xeon E5-1600 V2 and V3 chips locked. Very few people use a quad core E5-1600 chip, so toughnto make blanket statement.

5) A very well known fact. All current E5-2600 Xeons are hard locked, both FSB and multiplier.
New Gamer
(12 items)
 
Beater
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7-6950X ASUS Rampage 10 Edition  NVidia Titan X Pascal NVidia Titan X Pascal 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2800MHz Intel P3700 2TB Samsung SM961 1TB 2x Samsung PM1725 SSD 6.4TB (11.6TB Windows Sof... 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Corsair H110 2x140mm AIO water cooler Windows 7 Ultimate Corsair AX1500i Corsair Vengeance C70 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V3 Asrock X99E-itx/ac EVGA GeForce Titan X Superclocked 64GB (2x32GB) Crucial DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB Panasonic Slim Blu-ray Asetek 92mm AIO (w/Delta PWM fans push/pull) Windows 10 Professional 
PowerCase
Corsair SF600 NCase M1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2x Xeon E5-2687W V2 Asus Z9PE-D8 GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256GB Samsung PC3-14900R LRDIMMs Intel P3700 2.0TB (NVMe boot) ASUS Blu-ray  2x Intel Retail LGA2011-3 HSF 
OSPowerCase
Windows Server 2012 Standard R2 Corsair AX1500i 1500W Chenbro SR10769 
  hide details  
Reply
New Gamer
(12 items)
 
Beater
(10 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7-6950X ASUS Rampage 10 Edition  NVidia Titan X Pascal NVidia Titan X Pascal 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
8x16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR4-2800MHz Intel P3700 2TB Samsung SM961 1TB 2x Samsung PM1725 SSD 6.4TB (11.6TB Windows Sof... 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Corsair H110 2x140mm AIO water cooler Windows 7 Ultimate Corsair AX1500i Corsair Vengeance C70 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Xeon E5-1680 V3 Asrock X99E-itx/ac EVGA GeForce Titan X Superclocked 64GB (2x32GB) Crucial DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB Panasonic Slim Blu-ray Asetek 92mm AIO (w/Delta PWM fans push/pull) Windows 10 Professional 
PowerCase
Corsair SF600 NCase M1 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
2x Xeon E5-2687W V2 Asus Z9PE-D8 GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) GeForce GTX Titan X (Maxwell) 
RAMHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
256GB Samsung PC3-14900R LRDIMMs Intel P3700 2.0TB (NVMe boot) ASUS Blu-ray  2x Intel Retail LGA2011-3 HSF 
OSPowerCase
Windows Server 2012 Standard R2 Corsair AX1500i 1500W Chenbro SR10769 
  hide details  
Reply
post #37 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by lutjens View Post

The points I have made are well known facts.

1) Very well known fact, as evidenced by the very large collection of overclocked Xeons on X58 boards in the Intel forum. Xeons prior to Nehalem/Westmere were overclockable on certain boards (like the D5400XS) and long before that on older platforms/boards like the PC-DL, which was quite popular overclocking 1.6GHz LV Xeons into the stratosphere.

2) Everything I've seen regarding the W3xxx chips indicates they are all unlocked. The W3690 I have is fully unlocked (1st hand experience)

3) Again, direct first hand experience. I've personally owned and overclocked a Xeon E5-1650, an E5-1660, E5-1680 V2 and an E5-1680 V3.

4) Statement made due to some people finding their quad core Xeon E5-1600 V2 and V3 chips locked. Very few people use a quad core E5-1600 chip, so toughnto make blanket statement.

5) A very well known fact. All current E5-2600 Xeons are hard locked, both FSB and multiplier.

What about Xeon memory multipliers? Are they locked to 2133/2400Mhz as well?
post #38 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolice View Post

What about Xeon memory multipliers? Are they locked to 2133/2400Mhz as well?

After all of the testing I have done with my X99 Xeon I would have to say yes. I bought 2800 Mhz RAM that requires XMP to hit those timings, which also requires raising the BCLK from 100 to 125. And since X99 Xeons don't support BCLK, they don't support XMP, and since they don't support XMP OR BCLK, the highest they can go is 2133/2400 Mhz.

- Insan1tyOne redface.gif
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #39 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

After all of the testing I have done with my X99 Xeon I would have to say yes. I bought 2800 Mhz RAM that requires XMP to hit those timings, which also requires raising the BCLK from 100 to 125. And since X99 Xeons don't support BCLK, they don't support XMP, and since they don't support XMP OR BCLK, the highest they can go is 2133/2400 Mhz.

- Insan1tyOne redface.gif

Thanks for the input.

What about the 16xx series Xeons? They're fully multiplier unlocked, does that mean BCLK unlocked too?
post #40 of 58
Quote:
Originally Posted by HKPolice View Post

Thanks for the input.

What about the 16xx series Xeons? They're fully multiplier unlocked, does that mean BCLK unlocked too?

I haven't tested any 16xx series Xeons, but I would say that if they are multiplier unlocked, then so is the BCLK. I would head over to THIS THREAD here on OCN to read more in-depth on this topic.

- Insan1tyOne thumb.gif
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › X99 Xeon Overclock