Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › LIAN LI PC TU100 / 200 owners club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

LIAN LI PC TU100 / 200 owners club - Page 128

post #1271 of 1320
Pictures, pictures and pictures!!! Looking in to it!
post #1272 of 1320
When I have the parts, and I have the time to do the mods, it will be the first thing I do biggrin.gif

Meanwhile, here's pictures to visualize the ideas:

53: I had an idea, inspired by reddit user /u/stupidasian94. There's some unused space between the PSU and the side panel, about 1.4-1.5cm in total. If I move the PSU a bit towards teh side panel by simply screwing some Ø3.5mm (#6-32-standard) holes to the right of the currect holes, as well as some more holes for the other screws on the PSU, I should be able to free up at least 12-13mm of space for extra CPU cooler clearance. That will enable me to use my Big Shuriken 2 with a XT140 fan mounted (which is about 59-60mm height, depending on how I can fit the fan).

I've done some measurements, and it seems like the PSU can be moved about 1.3mm-1.5mm to the side panel (depending on where you move it).

53v2: On the backside, there's definitely a lot of room for some screw holes to the right of the screw holes, and even space below and above for a total of 3 to 4 possible screw holes at the new position! Should be solid.

There's room enough of the backpanel for drilling 3-4 holes for PSU mounting, but I will possibly have to move the PSU slightly down for maximum clearance.

I'm pretty excited about doing this mod, so I can see if the Big Shuriken 2 + XT140 combo will work! The Big Shuriken 2 with a XT140 is about 59-60mm tall, depending on how well it mounts. But there is a problem.

54: The Big Shuriken 2 is 60mm tall with it's default 12mm fan, but I want to replace it with a XT140. In this picture, I'm using a Raijintek Aeolus Alpha, purely for the reason that it's a pretty good comparison to the XT140, as it's a 140mm fan in a 120mm footprint with 13mm height, and I don't have my XT140 yet. The reason why I'm not using the Aeolus Alpha is because it has an annoying clicking sound, likely because of fatigue (I bought it second-hand). As you can see, the fan doesn't fit due to the fins "sticking up" in the sides.

AS you can see, there is some small part on the edge of the fin-stack that sticks out. This has to go, so it's time for a cut and file job:

54v2: tools used and the result

The final result is pretty good. The Raijintek Aeolus Alpha used here is comparable to the XT140, as it's also a 140mm fan in a 120mm mounting position, and both are 13mm tall. However, my Aeolus Alpha makes a really annoying clicking sound.

54v3: Final fitment seems good! The clips even work, but there's no guarantee that'll be the case for the XT140. Worst case I will use zip-ties to mount the XT140.

Also, I just picked up an A9x25 fan. So before I make my PSU mod, I'll test this baby out. I'll wait untill I have my Enzotech RAM- and Mosfet-heatsinks, so I can mod my motherboard, because this mod will allow me to orientate the LP53+A9x25 in any direction I want, whereas now, I can only mount it with fin-stack perpendicular to the RAM sticks, which creates a heattrap. I suspect my stock C7 cooler in optimal orientation is better than the LP53 in a suboptimal orientation, as they're both all-copper heatsinks, and while the A9x25 is definitely better, the total clearance of free, "cool" air will be higher for the stock C7 (48mm vs 53mm), so there's some cancelling out effects there.

51v2: The zip-ties have a cable management function! Might have to redo them later, depending on how I can orientate the LP53.

Also, I have zero faith in the stock screws for the LP53. So I'll be fitting my LP53 with either the C7 backplate or the Big Shuriken 2 backplate. I expect both to work. Here's the stock screws with washers for the LP53:

51v3: Default screws for the LP53. Not exactly the most sophisticated mounting mechanism.

Compare those to the backplate of the Big Shuriken 2 mounted on the LP53

51v4: Using the backplate from the Big Shuriken 2 should be possible. It's about the same in terms of thickness of washer vs backplate, and the screw definitely grips.

As far as I can tell, the washers on the stock screws and the backplate of the Big SHuriken 2 is about the same size, so I suspect the backplate is compatible with the LP53.

LOTS OF MODS INCOMING biggrin.gif
post #1273 of 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by fer9001 View Post

Pictures, pictures and pictures!!! Looking in to it!

Also, would you believe it, those idiots at the store sent me 2x A8 FLX. So now I have to return them and wait for A8 PWM's. But I'm definitely doing your mod for top exhaust, only i will do it in the middle and mod my ODD bay.
post #1274 of 1320
Now I understand what you mean.
post #1275 of 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateolives View Post

Also, would you believe it, those idiots at the store sent me 2x A8 FLX. So now I have to return them and wait for A8 PWM's. But I'm definitely doing your mod for top exhaust, only i will do it in the middle and mod my ODD bay.

why don't you try out the Samuel 17
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=2107&subid=2124#showtab
6 heat pipes and 120mm fan mounting.
Edited by fer9001 - 4/11/17 at 11:37am
post #1276 of 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by fer9001 View Post

why don't you try out the Samuel 17
http://www.prolimatech.com/en/products/detail.asp?id=2107&subid=2124#showtab
6 heat pipes and 120mm fan mounting.

It's a good idea, but I think the Scythe Big Shuriken 2 (46mm) and Samuel 17 (45mm) is very similar, once the Big Shuriken is modded to accept all 120mm fans. In the tests I see, they perform pretty similarly, with the Big Shuriken being marginally better: see http://www.eteknix.com/prolimatech-samuel-17-low-profile-cpu-cooler/6/

If I didn't own a Big Shuriken i might've been tempted to buy one, but because I own the Big Shuriken 2, and they're so similar in design/performance, I don't see the point.

The reason why I'm going to test the LP53 is because I'm very curious. People on the A4-SFX thread on Hardforum are reporting it to be the best avaiable <50mm CPU cooler. If I can get good temps (better than my C7) with it using my A9x25, I might not do the PSU mod because the A9x25 is very silent, even on full load it's not a loud component compared to my case fan.

That being said, the more I think about the PSU mod, the more I want to do it so I can use my Big Shuriken 2 + XT140... if nothing else, just to see if it's doable!

EDIT: obviosuly, I will use the best cooler of the 3 I try, if (!) i try them all. Otherwise, I will most likely settle on the LP53+A9x25, as it's supposedly performs exactly like the C7 (which makes sense because they're both copper and similar surface area of heatpipes etc), but with the A9x25, it makes a lot less noise.
Edited by ihateolives - 4/11/17 at 12:13pm
post #1277 of 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateolives View Post

Quick update on the Z270i and Big Shuriken 2: confirmed fit by random reddit user.

I've got a new idea for a simple mod: simply drilling a few screw holes for the PSU, moving it effectively 1-1.5cm more towards the edge of the case and using one of the spare PCIE brackets bent into a straight plate to cover up the hole that'll come by scooting over the PSU.

Doing this increases CPU clearance to about 70-75mm, enabling me to use a Big Shuriken 2. I have modded my Big Shuriken 2 to be compatible with a 140mm fan with 120mm mounting holes, like the XT140 or Raijintek Aeolus Alpha (by using a file and a cutter to cut off the extending fin-pieces running above the edges of the stock 120mm fan).

I've also grabbed a 120mm to 140mm fan adaptor for the case fan and ordered an ML140 to see if I can get some better airflow going into my case. I'm expecting these two simple improvements to give me a big boost in temperature overhead.

So many mods for this little case biggrin.gif

Thats what I did last saturday. Trying to move the SF-600 to to the sidepanel. Just took some screws and fixed the psu through the rear side mesh. But it didn't look very nice so I discarded the change.

@fer9001
The Samuel 17 was beaten by Shuriken.

http://www.hardwaremax.net/reviews/kuehler/557-test-noctua-nh-l12-und-prolimatech-samuel-17?showall=&start=8


I've phoned Asus which was no help. The guy didn't seem to have the slightest idea what I was talking about. Whereas the guy from Thermaltake was very nice and proposed the AXP-100R.
And Noctua NH-12 is on the comp list as hateolive said.
So I've ordered Samuel 17 with eloop fan, AXP-100R which is the updated version which is a bit higher and the Noctua NH-12 again. I'll check them on my test bench the next days when they will arive.
NH-12 seems to be the best regarding the temps but is rather clumsy and high.

Never had that fuss for a simple cooler install. But that's the fate of the early adopter.
Edited by Zero Clocker - 4/11/17 at 1:11pm
post #1278 of 1320
@Zero Clocker

I'm thinking about using a spare PCIe bracket as a cover-up for the empty space after having scooted over the PSU. I might be in the same spot as you, finding it too ugly to want to keep the change, but I think it's worth a try smile.gif

Was there anything else about it that you found particularly ugly?
post #1279 of 1320
Quote:
Originally Posted by ihateolives View Post

@Zero Clocker

I'm thinking about using a spare PCIe bracket as a cover-up for the empty space after having scooted over the PSU. I might be in the same spot as you, finding it too ugly to want to keep the change, but I think it's worth a try smile.gif

Was there anything else about it that you found particularly ugly?

As my case is a bigger I could not fix the lower part of the psu which would need another bracket. I just don't like scratches as the case is so nice ... Cannot hurt this little case. The two screws made the holes wider which is a flaw now. rolleyes.gif

But as you say it's worth the effort and: wink.gif no mod no fun.
Edited by Zero Clocker - 4/11/17 at 1:20pm
post #1280 of 1320
Ahhh I see. So you took 3.5mm screws through the 3mm screw holes already in the back panel?

My thinking is moving the PSU 1.3-1.4mm to the edge, drilling 2 new holes there and 1-2 new holes along the edges of the cutout (similar to the center holes aleady there. I can upload a sketch in a few minutes.

I would appreciate some feedback on the idea, if there is any smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Form Factor Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › LIAN LI PC TU100 / 200 owners club