Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Alienware Alpha Owners Club!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Alienware Alpha Owners Club! - Page 193

post #1921 of 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpacket View Post

Sorry if this has been asked. Does the R2 really only come with one memory stick of 2133 DDR4 limiting bandwidth considerably?

Does it even have the capability to add another stick for dual channel?
Numerous studies have shown that single channel memory has almost no ill effects on gaming performance.
post #1922 of 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonablehippo View Post

Yep, just one slot now instead of two! According to crucial, the Alpha R2 is compatible with 2400MHz RAM, so I have ordered a 16GB stickof it for when my R2 arrives.
Im sure Alienware know what they are doing though, and wouldnt have crippled the R2 if it impacted gaming performance!

I think I'm going to stay away from Dell after this though. I'm the guy that did the YouTube video on how to fix the yellow light of death on the Alpha. Mine did that 2hrs after I got it and apparently there's people sending their consoles to Dell for them to replace the mobile only for it to happen again when they get it back. Don't get me wrong, I love it but had I paid more than $400 for it with the i5 I never would had purchased it. Oh and $200 for their amplifier? Get the **** out of here Dell...
post #1923 of 2139
Hey folks. After many moons of closely following the Alpha with unquenchable desire, I just picked up a secondhand R1 the other day for my birthday. i3, that the previous owner has already bumped to 8GB of RAM, and to the tune of only $347.73. Needless to say, I'm stoked to finally join the Alpha club, after spending many years of my young life as "that one guy who's really into tech, but too poor to afford anything really nice for himself." biggrin.gif
post #1924 of 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by spoonablehippo View Post

Yep, just one slot now instead of two! According to crucial, the Alpha R2 is compatible with 2400MHz RAM, so I have ordered a 16GB stickof it for when my R2 arrives.
Im sure Alienware know what they are doing though, and wouldnt have crippled the R2 if it impacted gaming performance!

That means it has less memory bandwidth than an R1 Alpha frown.gif

Given that many games get a decent boost with memory speed increases the lack of dual channel seems like a large oversight.

However I'm unsure if games benefit more with lower latency instead of increased bandwidth. If bandwidth (which I suspect) then limiting the R2 to single channel could seriously impact performance.


http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k
post #1925 of 2139
Hey guys new user here. Ive had my Alpha for a little over a year and have been overclocking it with Afterburner at a 135 core and 600 Memory but I went ahead and gave the BlindRage bios a try to see what it could do. Everything went fine flashing and it definitely improved a lot while using Firestrike and ran very smooth during the tests. However when I now play any games they seem unstable at times when before the bios flash they ran pretty good staying pretty stable at 50-60+fps. I even turned the overclock off with the new bios and still frame drops every few min. Anyone have suggestions? i3 model btw with ssd,12gb ram.
post #1926 of 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChiefShortWood View Post

Hey guys new user here. Ive had my Alpha for a little over a year and have been overclocking it with Afterburner at a 135 core and 600 Memory but I went ahead and gave the BlindRage bios a try to see what it could do. Everything went fine flashing and it definitely improved a lot while using Firestrike and ran very smooth during the tests. However when I now play any games they seem unstable at times when before the bios flash they ran pretty good staying pretty stable at 50-60+fps. I even turned the overclock off with the new bios and still frame drops every few min. Anyone have suggestions? i3 model btw with ssd,12gb ram.

Watching your temps so as it doesn't throttle back?
post #1927 of 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebular View Post

Watching your temps so as it doesn't throttle back?

Yep temps stay at or around where they always have been. 78C give or take a degree or two.
post #1928 of 2139
Hey guys got back from my trip but unfortunately didn't get the 970. Will be ordering a rx480 as it is out the 29th. On another note, Oculus is working with the gtx 960 4gb I have running externally. Slight jitter during the intro experience if I move my head really fast but lucky's tale plays just fine on low and medium and I will be playing around with Valkyrie once I had some rest. Still pretty jet lagged. Will keep you posted.
post #1929 of 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dameyon View Post

Hey guys got back from my trip but unfortunately didn't get the 970. Will be ordering a rx480 as it is out the 29th. On another note, Oculus is working with the gtx 960 4gb I have running externally. Slight jitter during the intro experience if I move my head really fast but lucky's tale plays just fine on low and medium and I will be playing around with Valkyrie once I had some rest. Still pretty jet lagged. Will keep you posted.

Ahhh your just the man I need to speak too then :-)

I've been trying to find out how well the Oculus will work with the 960 in the R2 but can't find anyone who has tried.

What I really want to know is, how well Elite Dangerous will work with the rift & a 960! Frontier recommend a minimum of a GTX 980, which I don't understand as Elite Dangerous is not a visually demanding title! It's mostly just black space and your cockpit lol
I'm sure on low settings it would be ok, but need someone to test it!
post #1930 of 2139
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madpacket View Post

That means it has less memory bandwidth than an R1 Alpha frown.gif

Given that many games get a decent boost with memory speed increases the lack of dual channel seems like a large oversight.

However I'm unsure if games benefit more with lower latency instead of increased bandwidth. If bandwidth (which I suspect) then limiting the R2 to single channel could seriously impact performance.


http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/digitalfoundry-2016-is-it-finally-time-to-upgrade-your-core-i5-2500k

Does the fact that its DDR4 mitigate that issue though?

And there is a guy doing an unboxing on YouTube, who tests the R2 out doing high end video editing and he was very impressed with it.

So if the end performance is good than it probably doesn't matter!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Small Form Factor Systems
Overclock.net › Forums › Specialty Builds › Small Form Factor Systems › Alienware Alpha Owners Club!