Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Zowie FK2 is officially announced
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Zowie FK2 is officially announced - Page 31

post #301 of 335
I bought a Zowie Gear FK2 few weeks ago (white wheel and logo). Great mouse.

Having an issue though. The sensor seems active when PC is in hibernation and and moving the mouse unintentionally wakes it up. Didn't have this with original FK and AM.

Is this normal for the new sensor, or is this a malfunction?
post #302 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by Soo8 View Post

I've been doing stuff to my FK2 and noticed something odd. Under the top shell there are two ridges that the separated button shell sits on.
I cut them off with a blade:

Soldered omrons in and there is a huge difference in the stiffness.

I'm interested to know if those rigdes are also on ZA series mice and other FKs.

I took apart my FK again to make the buttons a little better than I did before. I had only shaved down the area where the buttons bend.



I forgot to shave the button piece area that contacts the scroll wheel area.



When the buttons touch the mid shell it (obviously) creates more resistance. That resistance makes it more difficult to actuate the switches and it slows down your reaction times. When the screw (that holds the button piece onto the middle shell) is tightened it created torsion on the button piece, potentially bringing the buttons in contact with the scroll wheel area, which is why the FK can squeak. For now I decided not to use the screw. Also, instead of shaving the area highlighted in the picture, I shaved enough plastic from the button piece to create a larger gap.

With the combination of mods to the button piece, my FK's buttons feel almost like they have no extra resistance to actuate the (white) Huano switches. I click 10 times more within 10 seconds without feeling the same fatigue as before and it appears my reaction time have went down. The buttons are not as light as my G100s' Chinese Omrons, but at least the Huano switches give me better feedback. In the future I will put some Japanese Omrons.

I will do the same thing for my ZA13, maybe my AM too.

I don't see the point of removing the ridges that act as the pivot point for the button piece. Those ridges should keep the buttons from moving forward of the posts that hold them onto the front.
Edited by popups - 4/6/16 at 7:13pm
post #303 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by resis View Post

I bought a Zowie Gear FK2 few weeks ago (white wheel and logo). Great mouse.

Having an issue though. The sensor seems active when PC is in hibernation and and moving the mouse unintentionally wakes it up. Didn't have this with original FK and AM.

Is this normal for the new sensor, or is this a malfunction?

Go to device manager - mice and other pointing devices - right click hid compliant mouse - go to power management - and uncheck allow this device to wake up computer
post #304 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by popups View Post

I don't see the point of removing the ridges that act as the pivot point for the button piece. Those ridges should keep the buttons from moving forward of the posts that hold them onto the front.
Zowie's shells are really nice. Even if you remove the button piece pivot ridge there isn't a lot more play going on in the button pieces. There is some but it's negligible compared how much they move on other mice. Also that fk which one's ridge I chopped off is still going strong after half a year of doing the mod, no signs of wear on the plungers nor switch plungers.
SmellyVRMs
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 970@not stable Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R9 270 Kingston HyperX 8Gb 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
Seagate Barracuda CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 BenQ XL2411Z KC60 w/ Kailh Speed Silver 
PowerCaseMouse PadAudio
Zalman 600W Thermaltake Versa H25 Zowie G-SR Boarseman CX98S 
Audio
Steelseries Siberia V2 
  hide details  
Reply
SmellyVRMs
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X4 970@not stable Gigabyte GA-990FXA-UD3 R9 270 Kingston HyperX 8Gb 
Hard DriveCoolingMonitorKeyboard
Seagate Barracuda CoolerMaster Hyper TX3 BenQ XL2411Z KC60 w/ Kailh Speed Silver 
PowerCaseMouse PadAudio
Zalman 600W Thermaltake Versa H25 Zowie G-SR Boarseman CX98S 
Audio
Steelseries Siberia V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #305 of 335
Yup, the 24 notch scroll wheel does not work on the 16 notch mice due to the MCU coding. I thought it would physically work and the code wouldn't be a factor, but the 16 notch mice do not read every scroll.

That sucks because the 24 notch wheel feels okay with heavier springs. Using the 16 notch wheel with heavier springs is unbearable. The 16 notch wheel with light springs feels "cheap."
Edited by popups - 4/7/16 at 10:29am
post #306 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncck View Post

Go to device manager - mice and other pointing devices - right click hid compliant mouse - go to power management - and uncheck allow this device to wake up computer

Thanks, that's a solution, but I'd still wish I could wake up with buttons, just not sensor.

The problem remains, because I need to know if it is an issue, or expected. The return deadline ends soon, so I need to be sure before keeping it for good. Many own this mouse, but for some reason nobody confirms or denies.

tiredsmiley.gif
post #307 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by resis View Post

Thanks, that's a solution, but I'd still wish I could wake up with buttons, just not sensor.

The problem remains, because I need to know if it is an issue, or expected. The return deadline ends soon, so I need to be sure before keeping it for good. Many own this mouse, but for some reason nobody confirms or denies.

tiredsmiley.gif

I don't think that's a problem of the mouse...
Current Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsMonitorKeyboard
I7-2600k Asus GTX 1070 BenQ XL2411T 144 hz Logitech G410 Atlas Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Be Quiet Power Zone 750 W PSU Silverstone SG09 Logitech G403 Mionix Sargas XXL 
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 32ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
Current Rig
(9 items)
 
  
CPUGraphicsMonitorKeyboard
I7-2600k Asus GTX 1070 BenQ XL2411T 144 hz Logitech G410 Atlas Spectrum 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Be Quiet Power Zone 750 W PSU Silverstone SG09 Logitech G403 Mionix Sargas XXL 
Audio
Beyerdynamic DT 770 32ohm 
  hide details  
Reply
post #308 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by resis View Post

Thanks, that's a solution, but I'd still wish I could wake up with buttons, just not sensor.

The problem remains, because I need to know if it is an issue, or expected. The return deadline ends soon, so I need to be sure before keeping it for good. Many own this mouse, but for some reason nobody confirms or denies.

tiredsmiley.gif

Did you say while the pc is sleeping the sensor LED is on? That is a bios setting which you'd have to disable in bios - or some type of power mode setting. I personally never use hibernate and only use 'sleep' mode. So no it's not the mouse

If the mouse is 'not on' and the pc is waking then it's generally the network adapter/Ethernet driver which can also be set to not wake the pc via device manager
post #309 of 335
Quote:
Originally Posted by ncck View Post

Did you say while the pc is sleeping the sensor LED is on? That is a bios setting which you'd have to disable in bios - or some type of power mode setting. I personally never use hibernate and only use 'sleep' mode. So no it's not the mouse

If the mouse is 'not on' and the pc is waking then it's generally the network adapter/Ethernet driver which can also be set to not wake the pc via device manager

I mean "sleep mode" with hibernation. The dpi LED is off, but I see a very dim red light inside the mouse when I look through the lens. I guess you could be right about BIOS, but I had no such issue with the original FK and AM (Aurora, Diamondback 3G, etc.).

I'll look into BIOS. Any hints on where to look (in case I won't find my way around)?
post #310 of 335
Hi!

I just got myself a new FK2 (black scroll, red logo) - love the shape!
Is there anything I "have to" test so see whether there is anything wrong with the unit? Have heard the QC is not the best ...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Mice
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Mice › Zowie FK2 is officially announced