Overclock.net › Forums › Hardware Vendors › Case Labs › [Build Log] Bubblehead - Mercury S5
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Build Log] Bubblehead - Mercury S5 - Page 5

post #41 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter5045 View Post

Excellent Job! Your end results came out very well thumb.gif.

Thanks! I'm very happy with it so far.

Just got a Mayhems Blitz kit and Mayhems Pastel UV White delivered, waiting on the Deep Blue Dye from them as well but thats coming from the UK and may be a bit. I think with acrylic a pastel coolant is the way to go.

One thing I didn't account for is that in the space of my wall unit the PC sits in I'm getting some of the warm air circulating in that space which raises the ambient temp which in turn raises the loop delta. I'm going to play with the fan configuration and see if I can get that worked out but I'm leaning towards getting a pedestal which would allow me to keep the warm air out of the rads isolated from the case. Plus that would fit two 60mm 360 rads and more rad space means more OC potential...but then for the cost thats almost an Airplex Gigant 1680...total overkill but the idea of never having to buy another radiator and fans is tempting, plus I think they look cool.

Thoughts?
post #42 of 47
Awesome looking case!
Do you know if it's possible to fit 3x240 rads in the S5?
 
Going small
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 4790k Asus Maximus Hero VII Z97 Gigabyte G1 970 GTX  Gigabyte G1 970 GTX  
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingstone HyperX Fury Crucial M550  Be Quiet: Dark Rock pro 3 Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ BL2710PT Corsair Raptor K50 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Thermaltake Urban T81 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech Proteus Core (G502)  G440 Gaming Mouse Pad Edifier M3300SF Beyerdynamic dt 770 (Pro 80 ohm) 
OtherOther
Thermaltake Pure 200mm NB-BlackSilent Pro 140mm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I-7 4790k Asus ROG Hero VII Gigabyte G1 970 GTX Gigabyte G1 970 GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury Crucial Mx 550 1tb Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme Noctua nf-f12 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noiseblocker B12-3 Windows 8.1 BenQ BL2710PT Corsair K50 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga G2 1000w Anidees IA-7WW Logitech Preteus core 502g Logitech H440 
AudioAudioAudio
Edifier M3300SF Beyerdynamic dt 770 FiiO E17 ALPEN 
  hide details  
Reply
 
Going small
(19 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel i7 4790k Asus Maximus Hero VII Z97 Gigabyte G1 970 GTX  Gigabyte G1 970 GTX  
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
Kingstone HyperX Fury Crucial M550  Be Quiet: Dark Rock pro 3 Windows 8.1 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ BL2710PT Corsair Raptor K50 EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G2 Thermaltake Urban T81 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech Proteus Core (G502)  G440 Gaming Mouse Pad Edifier M3300SF Beyerdynamic dt 770 (Pro 80 ohm) 
OtherOther
Thermaltake Pure 200mm NB-BlackSilent Pro 140mm 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel I-7 4790k Asus ROG Hero VII Gigabyte G1 970 GTX Gigabyte G1 970 GTX 
RAMHard DriveCoolingCooling
Kingston HyperX Fury Crucial Mx 550 1tb Thermaltake Water 3.0 Extreme Noctua nf-f12 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noiseblocker B12-3 Windows 8.1 BenQ BL2710PT Corsair K50 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Evga G2 1000w Anidees IA-7WW Logitech Preteus core 502g Logitech H440 
AudioAudioAudio
Edifier M3300SF Beyerdynamic dt 770 FiiO E17 ALPEN 
  hide details  
Reply
post #43 of 47
Quote:
Originally Posted by SynchroSCP View Post

Thanks! I'm very happy with it so far.

Just got a Mayhems Blitz kit and Mayhems Pastel UV White delivered, waiting on the Deep Blue Dye from them as well but thats coming from the UK and may be a bit. I think with acrylic a pastel coolant is the way to go.

One thing I didn't account for is that in the space of my wall unit the PC sits in I'm getting some of the warm air circulating in that space which raises the ambient temp which in turn raises the loop delta. I'm going to play with the fan configuration and see if I can get that worked out but I'm leaning towards getting a pedestal which would allow me to keep the warm air out of the rads isolated from the case. Plus that would fit two 60mm 360 rads and more rad space means more OC potential...but then for the cost thats almost an Airplex Gigant 1680...total overkill but the idea of never having to buy another radiator and fans is tempting, plus I think they look cool.

Thoughts?

I hadn't ever seen a Gigant before (I had to Google it). While I'm normally not a fan of external water cooling, I do like the looks of that. I don't think I would be able to find a place to put it.

The pedestal, on the other hand, is something I've considered for my SMA8. I love the look and the ability to isolate my rads. My temps are so low I can't justify it though (first world problem lol).
post #44 of 47
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rahldrac View Post

Awesome looking case!
Do you know if it's possible to fit 3x240 rads in the S5?

Its not, it can be set up for a 240 in front and a 360 on top. I suppose if you got creative you could stick a 240 in the drive compartment but don't quote me as I havent measured it or anything to verify. You can email CS@caselabs.net and talk to them directly about it.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHatter5045 View Post

I hadn't ever seen a Gigant before (I had to Google it). While I'm normally not a fan of external water cooling, I do like the looks of that. I don't think I would be able to find a place to put it.

The pedestal, on the other hand, is something I've considered for my SMA8. I love the look and the ability to isolate my rads. My temps are so low I can't justify it though (first world problem lol).

I've had my eye on the Gigant for a long time but you are right, its external, expensive and really way way overkill for my needs. Plus would probably be best to run a second pump in that setup so it gets more expensive fast. So cool tho and would be dead quiet.

I contacted Caselabs and they say 3-5 days for a pedestal so that's probably the way to go. Plus even that is really overkill for my needs but only half the overkill compared to the Gigant.
post #45 of 47
Thread Starter 
OK, drained...fixed one tubing length that was slightly off, 24 hours of Mayhems Blitz...filled with Mayhems UV Pastel White.

With UV On


No UV


All buttoned up
post #46 of 47
Thread Starter 
In a weird turn of events I returned the GTX 970's to Amazon due to the memory problem, it wasn't so much the performance of the cards but the fact that they weren't what I thought I was buying.

Picked up an EVGA GTX 980 FTW, as much as I hate to buy another Nvidia card right now it was the best option for me. Its a step back in performance but a huge improvement to my temps and framerates are pretty impressive, this is where I will stay until 20 or 16nm is a reality and gpu's will do 4K correctly.

Since there is no full cover block for the GTX 980 FTW I'm using an EK Thermosphere, had to mod the mounting bracket so the baseplate fits correctly. No sense cutting the baseplate and risking warranty problems down the road..not to mention how often I change graphics cards and selling this one would be troublesome with a baseplate that is cut up.


Nice backplate from EVGA for this card


Ok, this is pretty sexy. Have a noctua 80mm fan blowing directly on the gpu baseplate to keep VRM and mem in check, all good.


This card OC's really well and temps don't leave the 40's. Not unhappy about this move at all.
post #47 of 47
Thread Starter 
Well it seems that my GPU situation will continue to pose drama for me. Returning the FTW as I really didn't like how hot the heatspreader would get when gaming. The Thermosphere does a fantastic job on the processor but the heatspreader would get too hot to touch even with a fan blowing right on it. I toyed with the idea of getting some good heatsinks to cover it and even ordered some, but due to the FrozenCPU fiasco I doubt I will ever see them. Without proper cooling for the memory and VRMs the FTW card is no go for me, sucks because I've long felt FTW series cards are the perfect gamer card - dual bios and more VRM phases FTW!

Ordered an EVGA GTX 980 SC, backplate and EK-FC980 block. They are installed now and I think I won the silicon lottery with this card, reached 1555Mhz and 8000 on memory easily at stock voltage, lots of headroom on this card and can't wait to see what a custom bios will get. The FTW card also had some coil whine, not bad but definitely noticeable...none with this card so far. Temps are right at 40C while gaming and the EK block for reference 980's is stunning.

Holding here for the time being but also watching the rumors surrounding AMD's upcoming card. I've been talking to ensourced about some custom cables, and I think that will be the last step before calling this done. Will post pics when I get there, thanks for all the support and advice!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Case Labs
Overclock.net › Forums › Hardware Vendors › Case Labs › [Build Log] Bubblehead - Mercury S5