Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Looking for a new monitor. Need suggestions
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Looking for a new monitor. Need suggestions

post #1 of 9
Thread Starter 
Good evening! fellow OCNers, I'ts been quite some time since I've been able to lurk these forums. Actually............It's been almost 5-6 months since I've even had a chance to sit at the computer!

Anyhoot, I am currently all moved in to my new abode, and finally at the step of getting my office/man-cave/nerd-cave all set up. I am at the point where I retune my pc setup. Part of this is a new monitor. I plan on moving my 22" Samsung as auxiliary screen and am looking for a new primary.

I have done some reading online and it all seems to confuse me. There is just way too much product out there, and with me being out of the scene for as long as I have, all the information seems to jumble together.


I am looking for a 24" 16:9 panel. 1920x1080p. I do plan on coming back to gaming. It will be a mix of a little bit of everything. From mmo's(GW2 really) to casual fps(BF, DoD, CS:GO, etc) to some auto racing sims to rpg's and so on. The standard 5ms response time is fine, as that is what I've used for years now. But I know the lower the better. Image quality is important. I would like nice deep blacks, and rich vibrant colors that aren't over-saturated. Something similar to what the Samsung produced. Another big pet peeve of mine is when you get that slight white-washing and loss of crispness on either the top or bottom of the monitor depending on the height of your head(is this normal? Ive seen it worse on some displays than others) And will there be a noticeable difference in crispness of image from the slightly smaller screen the the larger?


Budget I am looking at will be at a maximum of $200 or below. If there is any additional information needed, please let me know. Other wise, any and all help is apreciated!


An option that came recommended was the HP V242H. Though it seems new and I could find much on it.
Edited by mwl5apv - 1/3/15 at 12:05am
My System
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair V Formula EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M5S 128Gb(OS) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Western Digital Cavair Green 2Tb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS 24x DVD RW Corsair H80i Windows 7 64-bit LG 24MP56HQ-P IPS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster B2230 Corsair K70 Corsair TX650 V2 Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5G Panasonic 500w stereo 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair V Formula EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M5S 128Gb(OS) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Western Digital Cavair Green 2Tb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS 24x DVD RW Corsair H80i Windows 7 64-bit LG 24MP56HQ-P IPS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster B2230 Corsair K70 Corsair TX650 V2 Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5G Panasonic 500w stereo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 9
That HP is a TN (twisted pneumatic) screen. It is one of those displays that tends to have color shift depending on your viewing angle/height of your head, which you mentioned wanting to avoid.

Couple considerations:
Do you need HDMI?
Do you prefer glossy or matte? (Glossy is clearer but catches glare from windows or lighting, matte is opposite)

Advice: Avoid monitors with thin bezels (means part of the bezel is internal, tends to harm contrast/dark colros). Avoid monitors with glossy bezels (tend to make blacks on screen dull by comparison).

I would recommend IPS panels. They will be listed with a contrast ratio of 1000:1 (ignore the 20m:1 dynamic contrast) and they will be listed with 178/178degree viewing angles

VA panels have the best blacks and will be listed as 5000:1 contrast ratio and also 178/178 degree viewing angles.

VA seems like the obvious choice but it isn't as uniform as IPS. Colors and greys tend to make a cone or have a vertical line that can be distracting.

I do love VA panels, but they can be problematic. My main monitor is an IPS, and my TV is a VA. For movies, VA is the way to go (imo), but for gaming, IPS for color and uniformity (hate seeing menus and solid color screens with splotchy colors and cloudy spots) or TN for speed.
post #3 of 9
I just grabbed two of these, amazing in my eyes but others may have a different opinion.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX51585

Very crisp, no white leakage, nothing noticed at odd-angles yet, really liking the picture on these.
post #4 of 9
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by electro2u View Post

That HP is a TN (twisted pneumatic) screen. It is one of those displays that tends to have color shift depending on your viewing angle/height of your head, which you mentioned wanting to avoid.

Couple considerations:
Do you need HDMI?
Do you prefer glossy or matte? (Glossy is clearer but catches glare from windows or lighting, matte is opposite)

Advice: Avoid monitors with thin bezels (means part of the bezel is internal, tends to harm contrast/dark colros). Avoid monitors with glossy bezels (tend to make blacks on screen dull by comparison).

I would recommend IPS panels. They will be listed with a contrast ratio of 1000:1 (ignore the 20m:1 dynamic contrast) and they will be listed with 178/178degree viewing angles

VA panels have the best blacks and will be listed as 5000:1 contrast ratio and also 178/178 degree viewing angles.

VA seems like the obvious choice but it isn't as uniform as IPS. Colors and greys tend to make a cone or have a vertical line that can be distracting.

I do love VA panels, but they can be problematic. My main monitor is an IPS, and my TV is a VA. For movies, VA is the way to go (imo), but for gaming, IPS for color and uniformity (hate seeing menus and solid color screens with splotchy colors and cloudy spots) or TN for speed.


Thanks for checking the HP out. As to answer your questions:
-HDMI is not needed. But some sort of digital signal is(preferably DVI)
- 100% Matte. Glare off any type of glossy screen eventually turns into migraines for me

Size of the bezel is not a big deal. Though Glossy is ok as well. The samsung has a glossy bezel and I personally have never had any issues with it.

Would you by chance be able to recommend any good IPS panels under or at my $200 budget? Preferably from Tiger Direct since that is what I now have nearby. 23" is fine as well if that would get me better for the money. and going a hair above $200 is fine as well.

What do you mean VA panels make a cone or vertical line? I can't say I've ever seen or heard of this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllGo'N'Show View Post

I just grabbed two of these, amazing in my eyes but others may have a different opinion.

http://www.memoryexpress.com/Products/MX51585

Very crisp, no white leakage, nothing noticed at odd-angles yet, really liking the picture on these.


Thank you for the suggestion! The monitor definitely seems nice for the money. Though, I'm sorry I forgot to mention it needs to be wall mountable and have DVI.(or HDMI or both)



Thanks for all you help so far!
Edited by mwl5apv - 1/3/15 at 9:08am
My System
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair V Formula EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M5S 128Gb(OS) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Western Digital Cavair Green 2Tb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS 24x DVD RW Corsair H80i Windows 7 64-bit LG 24MP56HQ-P IPS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster B2230 Corsair K70 Corsair TX650 V2 Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5G Panasonic 500w stereo 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair V Formula EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M5S 128Gb(OS) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Western Digital Cavair Green 2Tb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS 24x DVD RW Corsair H80i Windows 7 64-bit LG 24MP56HQ-P IPS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster B2230 Corsair K70 Corsair TX650 V2 Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5G Panasonic 500w stereo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl5apv View Post


Thank you for the suggestion! The monitor definitely seems nice for the money. Though, I'm sorry I forgot to mention it needs to be wall mountable and have DVI.(or HDMI or both)

Thanks for all you help so far!

Not sure why the pictures are no good on the site but it does have the typical monitor stand 4 bolt setup on the back of it for most mounts. HDMI and VGA standard on this one but hopefully you find one you like. thumb.gif
post #6 of 9
Thread Starter 
Hmm, ill have to take a look at that PLS panel type samsung has out. seems to be a nice hybrid medium between a TN and an IPS. Though, when I search for the model you linked to, everything that comes up is priced at $250. Is that correct? Also, can you snap a quick pic of the back of yours? Nothing I have found online has had wall mount holes in the back.


Another question as well. with response time. when gaming, how much will response time really hinder anything? Most IPS panels i see are sitting between 6-9ms.
My System
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair V Formula EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M5S 128Gb(OS) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Western Digital Cavair Green 2Tb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS 24x DVD RW Corsair H80i Windows 7 64-bit LG 24MP56HQ-P IPS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster B2230 Corsair K70 Corsair TX650 V2 Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5G Panasonic 500w stereo 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair V Formula EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M5S 128Gb(OS) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Western Digital Cavair Green 2Tb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS 24x DVD RW Corsair H80i Windows 7 64-bit LG 24MP56HQ-P IPS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster B2230 Corsair K70 Corsair TX650 V2 Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5G Panasonic 500w stereo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #7 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl5apv View Post

Hmm, ill have to take a look at that PLS panel type samsung has out. seems to be a nice hybrid medium between a TN and an IPS. Though, when I search for the model you linked to, everything that comes up is priced at $250. Is that correct? Also, can you snap a quick pic of the back of yours? Nothing I have found online has had wall mount holes in the back.


Another question as well. with response time. when gaming, how much will response time really hinder anything? Most IPS panels i see are sitting between 6-9ms.

Sorry man! The monitors I removed had the 4 bolt mount and indeed these don't have the typical mount on them, my apologies. I don't play any games that would take advantage of a 6-9ms screen response time over 13ms so can't really comment there for you.
post #8 of 9
Thread Starter 
Update:

So I did a little research online and did some window shopping at all the local computer stores. Stopped at Fry's first, they had a large selection overall. Though it was mostly TN panels. Very few IPS panels available to see, and when I asked the rep about the Samsung PLS panels, he told me something like that didn't even exist rolleyes.gif Overall, very underwhelmed. What they did have was an entry level ASUS and the ASUS PA248Q.

Microcenter was next on the list. Drove down and took a look. MC definitely had the largest selection of Panels overall. Though a larger selection than Fry's, once again, very underwhelmed with the IPS/PLS selection(at least this time, the associate knew what PLS was) Only the same two Asus monitors and and a few others in the 22" range. Again, a bit underwhelmed, and at this point slightly discouraged.

Last stop....surprisingly, Best Buy. It was more of an impulse and a crapshoot. I know, I know. Best Buy.......Overall they had the smallest selection of panels available....But speak of the devil, almost everything they had displayed was IPS! thumb.gif Had a single Samsung PLS that I could compare, and a few smaller TN panels for your average consumer. The Rep I spoke with was awesome as well! The two of us stood there, talked gaming, computer hardware, monitors and preferences and suggestions while I compared the 23" and 24" models available. Gotta say, he was the most knowledgeable one I've spoken to between the 3 stores.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-23-ips-led-hd-monitor-black-silver/8176078.p?id=1218864997552&skuId=8176078

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-23-8-ips-led-hd-monitor/3830006.p?id=1219093907107&skuId=3830006

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s2415h-23-8-ips-led-hd-monitor-black/8544005.p?id=1219345073733&skuId=8544005

Between those, the Dell seemed to have the best picture. Was the most crisp and the deepest most detailed blacks. Though it was not wall mountable and it had a glossy screen. the AOC was 2#" and not wall mountable.I ended up going with the LG. Thoughts?


The monitor is all hooked up. I have to say I am loving it! Colors are reproduced truer than my old Samsung, not as saturated. Though the very dark(black and almost black) images seem to loose a small amount of detail. Thoughts"

Being new to IPS, the glow is something I'm not used to. Though, I can only really notice it if I Have the lights turned down and am on a full black screen. Outside of that it is virtually none existent. All the glow is also pretty uniform, with the bottom left corner being slightly brighter in very corner. I'm guessing this is normal?( if someone can verify please)

Anyway, Thanks to all who replied! Rep'd thumb.gif And can any experienced IPS users input on the few last questions I had?
Edited by mwl5apv - 1/11/15 at 5:14pm
My System
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair V Formula EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M5S 128Gb(OS) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Western Digital Cavair Green 2Tb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS 24x DVD RW Corsair H80i Windows 7 64-bit LG 24MP56HQ-P IPS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster B2230 Corsair K70 Corsair TX650 V2 Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5G Panasonic 500w stereo 
  hide details  
Reply
My System
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
FX 8350 Asus Crosshair V Formula EVGA GTX 770 SC ACX 8Gb Corsair Vengeance Pro 1866 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Plextor M5S 128Gb(OS) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Plextor M5S 256Gb(RAID0) Western Digital Cavair Green 2Tb 
Optical DriveCoolingOSMonitor
ASUS 24x DVD RW Corsair H80i Windows 7 64-bit LG 24MP56HQ-P IPS 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Samsung SyncMaster B2230 Corsair K70 Corsair TX650 V2 Cooler Master CM Storm Trooper 
MouseAudio
Razer DeathAdder 3.5G Panasonic 500w stereo 
  hide details  
Reply
post #9 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwl5apv View Post

Update:

So I did a little research online and did some window shopping at all the local computer stores. Stopped at Fry's first, they had a large selection overall. Though it was mostly TN panels. Very few IPS panels available to see, and when I asked the rep about the Samsung PLS panels, he told me something like that didn't even exist rolleyes.gif Overall, very underwhelmed. What they did have was an entry level ASUS and the ASUS PA248Q.

Microcenter was next on the list. Drove down and took a look. MC definitely had the largest selection of Panels overall. Though a larger selection than Fry's, once again, very underwhelmed with the IPS/PLS selection(at least this time, the associate knew what PLS was) Only the same two Asus monitors and and a few others in the 22" range. Again, a bit underwhelmed, and at this point slightly discouraged.

Last stop....surprisingly, Best Buy. It was more of an impulse and a crapshoot. I know, I know. Best Buy.......Overall they had the smallest selection of panels available....But speak of the devil, almost everything they had displayed was IPS! thumb.gif Had a single Samsung PLS that I could compare, and a few smaller TN panels for your average consumer. The Rep I spoke with was awesome as well! The two of us stood there, talked gaming, computer hardware, monitors and preferences and suggestions while I compared the 23" and 24" models available. Gotta say, he was the most knowledgeable one I've spoken to between the 3 stores.

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/aoc-23-ips-led-hd-monitor-black-silver/8176078.p?id=1218864997552&skuId=8176078

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/lg-23-8-ips-led-hd-monitor/3830006.p?id=1219093907107&skuId=3830006

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/dell-s2415h-23-8-ips-led-hd-monitor-black/8544005.p?id=1219345073733&skuId=8544005

Between those, the Dell seemed to have the best picture. Was the most crisp and the deepest most detailed blacks. Though it was not wall mountable and it had a glossy screen. the AOC was 2#" and not wall mountable.I ended up going with the LG. Thoughts?


The monitor is all hooked up. I have to say I am loving it! Colors are reproduced truer than my old Samsung, not as saturated. Though the very dark(black and almost black) images seem to loose a small amount of detail. Thoughts"

Being new to IPS, the glow is something I'm not used to. Though, I can only really notice it if I Have the lights turned down and am on a full black screen. Outside of that it is virtually none existent. All the glow is also pretty uniform, with the bottom left corner being slightly brighter in very corner. I'm guessing this is normal?( if someone can verify please)

Anyway, Thanks to all who replied! Rep'd thumb.gif And can any experienced IPS users input on the few last questions I had?

Nice choice in the end! Interesting the lack of stand support the new monitors are offering, it seemed a few years ago everything was wall/support mountable, now that you pointed it out I was very surprised to see the difference these days.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › Looking for a new monitor. Need suggestions