Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [pcper]AMD Talks Technical about FreeSync Monitors and First Impressions - CES2015
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[pcper]AMD Talks Technical about FreeSync Monitors and First Impressions - CES2015 - Page 40  

post #391 of 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZealotKi11er View Post

We are talking about right now. My 290 is still top performing card from AMD so i dont have to buy a new GPU. If you have anything less GTX780 in Nvidia's side you need a GPU upgrade before buying G-Sync. That makes the GPU list much smaller.

Wrong. You may WANT to upgrade ... unless you are running say a GTX 690 of a pair of GTX 680s ... but you do not NEED to upgrade.

A pair of GTX 680s (or GTX 690) will beat a single R9 290/290X in 1080p in many games.




So you may not want to "poo poo" the notion of older nVidia cards and make the MISTAKE of thinking that just because it is a 3 generation old card, that your single R9 290/290X will beat it. At 4K, yeah, it will, but most people aren't playing 4K and many people don't even care about 4K yet ... they are still doing 1080p and 1440P. But even at 4K resolution, a 690 or 680 SLI can hold it's own. The old 7xxx and 8xxx AMD cares NEED to upgrade. PERIOD. The GTX 680/690's MAY WANT to upgrade.

NEED != WANT
post #392 of 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by 47 Knucklehead View Post

I own the Swift and I can say that it doesn't suffer the problem that he describes either.

What he's talking about was completely unrelated to Gsync and other monitors. It was only about the strobe timing on the Swift, if i understood correctly.
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
Insert Name Here
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
6700k Asus Maximus VIII Hero Gigabyte Aorus Xtreme 1080ti Corsair LPX 2x8GB 3200c16 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Old Seagate HDD Samsung 850 EVO Thermalright Silver Arrow SB-E SE Windows 7 Home Premium 64 bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Asus PG258Q (240hz + Gsync) WASDKeyboards.com v1 semi custom w/ mx browns, ... Superflower Golden Green HX550 Air540 
MouseMouse Pad
Logitech G Pro Qck+ 
  hide details  
post #393 of 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyro999 View Post

What he's talking about was completely unrelated to Gsync and other monitors. It was only about the strobe timing on the Swift, if i understood correctly.

The issue I was aware of was a screen door look on some of the panels. It might have been backlight create, not sure to be honest. The other issue was a color uniformity issue, which I believe was related to the screen door issue.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
post #394 of 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Because it beats spending $500 on a FreeSync display (Just using your math and AMD's math of being $100 cheaper than G-Sync) and ~$300 on a new AMD GPU to support it, because only a few AMD cards actually do.
So long as you buy a new monitor and a new card for many AMD users.

I find it completely laughable you can come into all these threads and attempt to tear down and make fun of the cost of G-Sync. Yet you completely ignore the fact that only a handful of AMD cards support Freesync. Creating a situation for the "FreeSync" users of having to purchase both a new GPU and display.

Here, let's count the ways....

FreeSync Supported GPUs:

  • R9 295x2
  • R9 290X
  • R9 290
  • R9 285
  • R7 260X
  • R7 260


*Excluding APUs

G-Sync on the other hand is supported by......

  • GTX Titan Z
  • GTX Titan
  • GTX 980
  • GTX 970
  • GTX 960 - Upcoming GPU.
  • GTX 780 Ti
  • GTX 780
  • GTX 770
  • GTX 760
  • GTX 750 Ti
  • GTX 750
  • GTX 745 (OEM Card)
  • GTX 690
  • GTX 680
  • GTX 670
  • GTX 660 Ti
  • GTX 660
  • GTX 650 Ti Boost

Not to mention that a total of 7 FreeSync displays have only been announced, none are available yet, while we have at least 7 G-Sync displays on the market already with just as many in the pipe. The real "value" and far more widely supported option is G-Sync.

It is cool and all that you are excited for FreeSync, but you run around these threads just talking out the brown hole spreading misinformation. I have personally corrected you several times, and you keep doing it. It doesn't help anyone, and only makes you look really silly. If you want to hate on G-Sync or Nvidia, or CareBears, then be my guest - there is plenty of factual things to poke at, you don't need to make stuff up.

Both "camps" put their foot in their mouths enough to give us plenty of ammo as is.
WRONG!

FreeSync is not an open standard, it simply takes advantage of an optional feature within an open standard - the DP 1.2a Standard. Adaptive Sync is that feature in that standard, that is optional, FreeSync is the AMD proprietary usage of that. FreeSync is not an open standard!

Oh, and there is literally nothing stopping Nvidia from utilizing Adaptive Sync in their hardware, literally none. In fact Nvidia has used it in the past with mobile devices to a degree, just like any mobile company. What AMD is doing isn't some big new secret in the panel world. Unfortunately it has just taken forever to make its way to desktop in the implementation that we have it, which is "better" than the mobile usage.


The reason they went the module route was for "performance" reasons, what that means only time is going to tell us now. More specifically the independent third party reviews of FreeSync and how it functions will tell us
.

Um... huh? ASync is an open standard which is exactly what I said. You flew completely off on a tangent, perpetuating a meme and fabricating a lecture based on something i never said. What I did say is exactly true, that ASync is the only option for an open standard because GSync never will be, and monitor manufacturers are backing ASync as can be seen by the sheer number of monitors being released compared to Gsync. And you're right there is nothing stopping NV from adopting ASync, since after all, it is the open standard. So what was your point again, and what was I wrong about? That ASync is the open standard and GSync isn't?

Regarding your list. It's funny that you truncate the list of AMD GPUs that support FreeSync/ASync and simply list them as APUs. Because that would make the list of GPUs that support ASync longer than Gsync.

There is also the more important issue of price. Somebody interested in purchasing a new monitor can have ASync + a new video card + an open standard that will most likely be adopted by NV and intel in the future. This makes ASync more desirable because not only is it future proof and cross platform compatible, but it is cheaper, or you can buy a new graphics card + monitor for the same price. Not sure how you could even convince yourself how that there is any semblance of comparison there, or that Gsync could compete with all those disadvantages.
Edited by flippin_waffles - 1/11/15 at 12:07pm
post #395 of 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

How can you lie like this and still actually feel fine hitting the submit button?

First, the 290 is NOT the top performing card for AMD, it is up there but not top, that would be the 290X. Then again, I feel like this is just splitting hairs, but god only knows with you.

Secondly, it isn't the 780 and up that supports G-Sync, I know you seen the list I put up. Even the 650 Ti Boost, the lowest end GPU that supports G-Sync, does well in gaming at 1080P. Especially on a G-Sync display where you don't have to stay 60+ to have a smooth experience.

I think he means that gsync and freesync is still really expensive for someone with a mid range gpu and below. At the end of the day i think most of the people that will buy gsync/freesync, they already have high end gpus. I cant think anyone with a 650ti or a 260x with a gsync/freesync monitor.

By the way i am an amd fan but sometimes i feel cringe for the fellow fans like him
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
Workstation
(4 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsMonitor
Xeon E5-2690 Supermicro 2011 Nvidia GP100/ Vega FE Dell ultrasharp 4k 
  hide details  
post #396 of 396
Thread has devolved back into arguing about the same old nonsense over and over again.

Enough.

Locked.
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
Upstairs Rig
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4770k Asus Maximus VI Hero evga 1080 Ti with Hybrid mod Corsair Vengeance Pro 2133 mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 EVO 500gb WD Caviar Black Corsair h100i GTX Windows 8.1 64bit 
MonitorPowerCase
xb280hk EVGA Supernova 1000 G2 Corsair Carbide Air 540 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [pcper]AMD Talks Technical about FreeSync Monitors and First Impressions - CES2015