Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Thinking about going to 4790k from 2500k worth it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Thinking about going to 4790k from 2500k worth it? - Page 2

post #11 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by phenom01 View Post

i would wait for skylake...I to upgraded from a 2500k to a 4790k. I really dont notice any difference in real world usage. I did it out of boredom. But everyone knows any new hardware is shiny and awesome. So do what ya want...I would wait...but I wouldnt blame ya for going for Devils canyon. 2cents.gif

I would agree.

If you waited this long, I'd wait a bit longer and upgrade to z107 (1151 socket) when it releases. New fresh motherboard/cpu + DDR4 ram. Ram prices should drop down once Skylake releases to mainstream.
MAIN-RIG
(24 items)
 
SIM-RIG
(24 items)
 
OLD-RIG
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
MAIN-RIG
(24 items)
 
SIM-RIG
(24 items)
 
OLD-RIG
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #12 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

A 2500k should be fine, is WoW not running well? A 4690k/4790k wouldn't be much faster.

FYI any decent recording/streaming program will use your GPU's video encoder. Streaming doesn't hit the CPU hard anymore. And unless you're using SVP/MadVR, videos don't take much CPU either.


If the OC fails every once in awhile, you should add a tiny bit more voltage or reduce the OC by 100Mhz.

I'm getting some garbage drops to like 25-50 Fps and also getting bursts of 100% CPU usage while in game.
post #13 of 39
Maybe only one core is hitting 100% at times, which might happen, what's the overall cpu usage after a gaming session?

Also I haven't played WoW games since mid 90's. Maybe the game is only using single thread? I'm not sure.
Edited by Marc79 - 1/12/15 at 5:45pm
MAIN-RIG
(24 items)
 
SIM-RIG
(24 items)
 
OLD-RIG
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
MAIN-RIG
(24 items)
 
SIM-RIG
(24 items)
 
OLD-RIG
(20 items)
 
  hide details  
Reply
post #14 of 39
I've been pondering and researching this myself for months now. I don't "need a better setup for my gaming needs with my 2500k at 4.6ghz but I'm so sick of my small mATX setup and I finally said "fark it" earlier today after I learned I have to get my knee operated on and I won't be able to move around easily for awhile. Some games are giving my old 2500k a workout recently and I deemed that a sign


So I decided to sell my 2500k setup while I could still get some money out of it and give my hands and brain something to keep busy with after surgery.

And being single once again after being dumped, no girlfriend to gripe at me for it either.

0Jg76NI.jpg?1
Edited by Arct1c0n - 1/12/15 at 8:46pm
post #15 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arct1c0n View Post

I've been pondering and researching this myself for months now. I don't "need a better setup for my gaming needs with my 2500k at 4.6ghz but I'm so sick of my small mATX setup and I finally said "fark it" earlier today after I learned I have to get my knee operated on and I won't be able to move around easily for awhile. Some games are giving my old 2500k a workout recently and I deemed that a sign


So I decided to sell my 2500k setup while I could still get some money out of it and give my hands and brain something to keep busy with after surgery.

And being single once again after being dumped, no girlfriend to gripe at me for it either.

0Jg76NI.jpg

I'm really tempted to do it.
post #16 of 39
If your tempted, and your selecting components, then you know you're going to do it, don't you?

Really, it's justifiable on the surgical recovery grounds - assuming the cash isn't an obstacle (as it is usually for me).

I did it just last month. I'm still getting used to it, but I picked up an ASRock Extreme6 and an i7 4790k. Just now getting settled in. In my case I jumped from an AMD 955 (Quad core 3.8 Ghz, trusty little old thing), so I'm experiencing an obvious triple gain in performance on everything, at a minimum.

I'm going to delid the CPU in about 2 weeks. I have the Coolermaster Hyper 612 v2 (it's huge, maybe too huge).

As to waiting? Well....what's the price difference, and what's the projected performance difference? How soon would you be in the same basic position of considering an upgrade again, and....when will you have the surgical recovery justification again?

Good luck on your recovery.
post #17 of 39
microcenter has the 4790k for 280$, why go for such an expensive mobo when a asrock 100$ mobo can do just as good

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157501&cm_re=asrock_z97-_-13-157-501-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813157507&cm_re=asrock_z97-_-13-157-507-_-Product
Edited by daman246 - 1/12/15 at 8:45pm
post #18 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by airhoodz View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by brucethemoose View Post

A 2500k should be fine, is WoW not running well? A 4690k/4790k wouldn't be much faster.

FYI any decent recording/streaming program will use your GPU's video encoder. Streaming doesn't hit the CPU hard anymore. And unless you're using SVP/MadVR, videos don't take much CPU either.


If the OC fails every once in awhile, you should add a tiny bit more voltage or reduce the OC by 100Mhz.

I'm getting some garbage drops to like 25-50 Fps and also getting bursts of 100% CPU usage while in game.

100% on four cores? Sounds like another program eating up resources, you should try a clean Windows install sometime.


I still can't figure out how Shiftstealth doubled his FPS going from a 2700k to 5930k...

-Wow is usually limited by a single thread and uses up to 3, so it isn't core count.
-AFAIK, the game doesn't use any instructions the 2700k doesn't have.
-The 2700k is clocked higher, but the 5930k has slightly wider cores. That's nearly a wash.
-The larger L3 cache shouldn't make such a big difference.
-Memory bandwidth is much higher, but latency is higher and again, slightly fewer and faster cache misses shouldn't double performance.

I'm stumped. Maybe some other factor (scheduling?) unrelated the CPU was at play.
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
Bruce
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4670k Asus Z87 Pro HIS 7950 IceQ X2 2x2gb + 2x4gb DDR3 1333 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Seagate 1TB 7200RPM OCZ Agility 4 128GB PNY 240GB LG Blu Ray Burner 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Hyper 212+ with extra fan Windows 10 Education x64 Shimian QH270 @110hz Medieval Dell OEM Keyboard 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair TX750 V1 Antec 300 Black Illusion  Logitech G400s Xonar ST 
AudioOtherOtherOther
Fostex T50rp with BMF mod Archer T9E Wifi adapter 2x Yate Loon D12SL-12D 120x38mm fans Thermalright TY-143 fan 
  hide details  
Reply
post #19 of 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by daman246 View Post

microcenter has the 4790k for 280$, why go for such an expensive mobo when a asrock 100$ mobo can do just as good

I don't have a microcenter in my state and I'm spoiled with Asus ROG boards and their easy overclocking and stability.
post #20 of 39
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JVene View Post

If your tempted, and your selecting components, then you know you're going to do it, don't you?

Really, it's justifiable on the surgical recovery grounds - assuming the cash isn't an obstacle (as it is usually for me).

I did it just last month. I'm still getting used to it, but I picked up an ASRock Extreme6 and an i7 4790k. Just now getting settled in. In my case I jumped from an AMD 955 (Quad core 3.8 Ghz, trusty little old thing), so I'm experiencing an obvious triple gain in performance on everything, at a minimum.

I'm going to delid the CPU in about 2 weeks. I have the Coolermaster Hyper 612 v2 (it's huge, maybe too huge).

As to waiting? Well....what's the price difference, and what's the projected performance difference? How soon would you be in the same basic position of considering an upgrade again, and....when will you have the surgical recovery justification again?

Good luck on your recovery.

Money isn't an issue. But I'm having a hard time spending the money on such a minimal upgrade. It's really the inconvenience of it crashing and getting the drops.

I also just did a clean windows install. I think it just might be 4 years of OCing it that might be burning it out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Thinking about going to 4790k from 2500k worth it?