Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [TFTCentral] Acer Predator XR341CK 34" Curved Gaming Screen with G-sync
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TFTCentral] Acer Predator XR341CK 34" Curved Gaming Screen with G-sync - Page 276

post #2751 of 6126

Amazon.it lists the monitor as 100 Hz too, can't wait for them to get some stock ;)

post #2752 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicus View Post

Scan does actually say 100Hz in OC mode in the specs... OCUK says 100Hz (as you noticed).

Scan quite clearly describes it as a 60hz monitor, you don't get to pick and choose the descriptions which suit your argument, a marketing representation is construed as a whole, and Scan's description explicitly states "up to 100hz" via overclocking.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicus View Post

I can't speak to other countries, but this is very simple in the UK, and under UK consumer law and trade descriptions act... if you get a monitor that doesn't achieve 100Hz, you can return it based on this ALONE with either of these resellers.

I actually think you are over simplifying, I live in a Commonwealth country with very similar trade and consumer laws to the UK, and the fact that 100hz is mentioned somewhere in an advertisement does not guarantee you anything when it is caveated with the words "up to".
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicus View Post

Makes no difference what Acer say, and the whole 'up to' argument, which just doesn't hold water when it comes to a monitor anyway... fine for an HD or CPU, but not a monitor... it's not the same thing. As I say though, that's irrelevant based on what the resellers description says. You're buying it from them, not Acer.

Which at this moment only applies to OC UK, who may well change that description at some point before the monitor officially releases. Ultimately retailers will fall in line with Acer's position, because if Acer is not prepared to accept returns of monitors bought via wholesalers simply because they can't run at 100hz, then retailers are not going to take on the financial risk by describing them as 100hz. And there is no reason why that argument would apply to other hardware component but not a monitor.
post #2753 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSmash View Post

Scan quite clearly describes it as a 60hz monitor, you don't get to pick and choose the descriptions which suit your argument, a marketing representation is construed as a whole, and Scan's description explicitly states "up to 100hz" via overclocking.
I actually think you are over simplifying, I live in a Commonwealth country with very similar trade and consumer laws to the UK, and the fact that 100hz is mentioned somewhere in an advertisement does not guarantee you anything when it is caveated with the words "up to".
Which at this moment only applies to OC UK, who may well change that description at some point before the monitor officially releases. Ultimately retailers will fall in line with Acer's position, because if Acer is not prepared to accept returns of monitors bought via wholesalers simply because they can't run at 100hz, then retailers are not going to take on the financial risk by describing them as 100hz. And there is no reason why that argument would apply to other hardware component but not a monitor.

Yeah, I do agree and someone who actually makes sense here

If these ACER monitors are not guaranteed to get to 100hz and most people get 70hz to 80hz, then the ASUS is worth waiting for as you are guaranteed 100hz when you use Gsync on it.

Also we do not know if ASUS has any surprises for us, could they have a new panel in it (I would say no but worth guessing) could they have any new technology in it which improves picture quality or could it have a A-TW polarizer in it.

If it is a A-TW polarizer that might be why the price is so high and it would be worth it.

ASUS might have a surprise for us, we just do not know at the moment.
post #2754 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeerK View Post

Thanks for posting this. Not a fan of how Strix is starting to absorb ROG, and I can wait to see how Asus tunes the same panel vs Acer. I'm gonna wait and see, not in a rush for now, There isn't any heavy hitter game coming out in the interim that will need Gsync that Im interested in other than AC syndicate which Im not touching until prices drop.

What type of game do you feel needs gsync more than others? In my experience every game benefits greatly with Gsync... and if you don't consider fallout 4, just cause 3, or rainbow 6 heavy hitters... and assassins creed is? Haha yikes. Hehe just joking around.
post #2755 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSmash View Post

Scan quite clearly describes it as a 60hz monitor, you don't get to pick and choose the descriptions which suit your argument, a marketing representation is construed as a whole, and Scan's description explicitly states "up to 100hz" via overclocking.

I actually think you are over simplifying, I live in a Commonwealth country with very similar trade and consumer laws to the UK, and the fact that 100hz is mentioned somewhere in an advertisement does not guarantee you anything when it is caveated with the words "up to".

Scan ALSO quite clearly describe it as "100Hz in OC mode"... so how is that made redundant by them saying the opposite? You seem to forget that the law is on the side of the consumer here, as it always is, despite most people thinking otherwise. It's the RESELLER that can't pick and choose how a product is marketed. They can't say 100Hz in one place, and then get around that by something else elsewhere! Can you imagine how much abuse that would be open to?! A reseller could literally say anything about a product to sell it, then hide the truth in the small print. There has clearly been a mistake made with the X34... either 100Hz IS guaranteed and there will be no issues exchanging, or it's not and the resellers need to change the wording across ALL their marketing/advertising materials... and yes, that instruction would need to come from Acer, and it obviously hasn't otherwise it would have been stated. Maybe that will change, who knows, but as of right now, consumer law/trade description is quite clear (in the UK). It has to be consistent, clear and accurate to the purchaser. At the moment, it is not, but still in favour of the consumer if they receive a monitor that does not achieve 100hz because several resellers and the info they are providing gives this impression. So yes, maybe we will see the descriptions change, but that doesn't apply to orders made before (and if) that happens.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZombieSmash View Post

And there is no reason why that argument would apply to other hardware component but not a monitor.

I've mentioned this before but there is an obvious reason... it would be near impossible to prove or argue that an HD/CPU wasn't capable of an advertised 'up to' speed... and in most cases it probably would be, with the right set-up and ideal conditions, even if it only managed it for a microsecond. That's the loop hole, and that's all it is... 'up to' is not a legal term, it's too vague. There is no such loop hole with a monitor... it either works or it doesn't. It won't matter what GPU you're using, how expensive your cable is, or what temperature your room is at... if it won't get past 90Hz, it will NEVER get past 90Hz, and actually won't function AT ALL beyond that speed. The loop hole in the 'up to' argument is precisely because with the vast majority of components/devices it's a nebulous often even fluctuating figure... this does not apply to a monitor, so it's far more straightforward, especially in absence of any further conditions or caveats, and in addition to how it's being advertised. Acer literally need to be saying here that 100Hz is not guaranteed if that is the case.
Edited by atomicus - 9/19/15 at 6:29am
I AM TITANIUM
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800K MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960GB Hynix SSD 500GB EKWB Custom loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer Predator X34 Logitech K800 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Corsair MM300 Sennheiser DT 990 Pro (250OHM) 
  hide details  
Reply
I AM TITANIUM
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800K MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960GB Hynix SSD 500GB EKWB Custom loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer Predator X34 Logitech K800 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Corsair MM300 Sennheiser DT 990 Pro (250OHM) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2756 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metros View Post

Yeah, I do agree and someone who actually makes sense here

If these ACER monitors are not guaranteed to get to 100hz and most people get 70hz to 80hz, then the ASUS is worth waiting for as you are guaranteed 100hz when you use Gsync on it.

Also we do not know if ASUS has any surprises for us, could they have a new panel in it (I would say no but worth guessing) could they have any new technology in it which improves picture quality or could it have a A-TW polarizer in it.

If it is a A-TW polarizer that might be why the price is so high and it would be worth it.

ASUS might have a surprise for us, we just do not know at the moment.

Why would you think Asus would guarantee 100Hz if Acer are not? They are for all intents and purposes the same monitor, so there's no reason at this stage to think Asus will have a different policy to Acer in this regard... not that we even know officially what Acer's stance is. The aesthetic design is different of course, and they will have the better warranty and after sales support, but that's about it. They won't have a different panel... no different panel exists. That is a fact, so not worth guessing. It will be the same panel as the X34. And the chances of them including an ATW Polarizer are virtually nil... I'd love it if they did, but it's not going to happen. I actually think if they did the price would be even higher tbh. This is first and foremost a gaming monitor targeted at well off gamers (or those with rich parents). ATW Polarizers are more for the high end professional sector... it's not a ROG thing.
I AM TITANIUM
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800K MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960GB Hynix SSD 500GB EKWB Custom loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer Predator X34 Logitech K800 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Corsair MM300 Sennheiser DT 990 Pro (250OHM) 
  hide details  
Reply
I AM TITANIUM
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7-6800K MSI X99A XPower Gaming Titanium EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 FOUNDERS EDITION Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB (4x8GB) 3000MHz... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 256GB M.2 SanDisk Ultra II SSD 960GB Hynix SSD 500GB EKWB Custom loop 
OSMonitorKeyboardCase
Windows 10 Pro 64bit Acer Predator X34 Logitech K800 InWin 303 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Logitech G900 Corsair MM300 Sennheiser DT 990 Pro (250OHM) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2757 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicus View Post

Scan ALSO quite clearly describe it as "100Hz in OC mode"... so how is that made redundant by them saying the opposite? You seem to forget that the law is on the side of the consumer here, as it always is, despite most people thinking otherwise. It's the RESELLER that can't pick and choose how a product is marketed. They can't say 100Hz in one place, and then get around that by something else elsewhere! Can you imagine how much abuse that would be open to?! A reseller could literally say anything about a product to sell it, then hide the truth in the small print. There has clearly been a mistake made with the X34... either 100Hz IS guaranteed and there will be no issues exchanging, or it's not and the resellers need to change the wording across ALL their marketing/advertising materials... and yes, that instruction would need to come from Acer, and it obviously hasn't otherwise it would have been stated. Maybe that will change, who knows, but as of right now, consumer law/trade description is quite clear (in the UK). It has to be consistent, clear and accurate to the purchaser. At the moment, it is not, but still in favour of the consumer if they receive a monitor that does not achieve 100hz because several resellers and the info they are providing gives this impression. So yes, maybe we will see the descriptions change, but that doesn't apply to orders made before (and if) that happens.

Except the truth isn't hidden in small print, its quite clearly stated if you actually read the listing as a whole. This seems to make sense to everyone but you, but whatever bud......I don't feel the inclination to argue with you anymore. You are conflating numerous points to desperately make out a flawed argument. Ultimately a retailer doesn't have to do anything it doesn't want to unless you or the relevant regulatory agency is prepared to sue them. Good luck with that.
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicus View Post

I've mentioned this before but there is an obvious reason... it would be near impossible to prove or argue that an HD/CPU wasn't capable of an advertised 'up to' speed... and in most cases it probably would be, with the right set-up and ideal conditions, even if it only managed it for a microsecond. That's the loop hole, and that's all it is... 'up to' is not a legal term, it's too vague. There is no such loop hole with a monitor... it either works or it doesn't. It won't matter what GPU you're using, how expensive your cable is, or what temperature your room is at... if it won't get past 90Hz, it will NEVER get past 90Hz, and actually won't function AT ALL beyond that speed. The loop hole in the 'up to' argument is precisely because with the vast majority of components/devices it's a nebulous often even fluctuating figure... this does not apply to a monitor, so it's far more straightforward, especially in absence of any further conditions or caveats, and in addition to how it's being advertised. Acer literally need to be saying here that 100Hz is not guaranteed if that is the case.

Nope, this is nonsense. There are definite thresholds at which a CPU or GPU will simply not function properly regardless of the setup.
post #2758 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by atomicus View Post

Why would you think Asus would guarantee 100Hz if Acer are not? They are for all intents and purposes the same monitor, so there's no reason at this stage to think Asus will have a different policy to Acer in this regard... not that we even know officially what Acer's stance is. The aesthetic design is different of course, and they will have the better warranty and after sales support, but that's about it. They won't have a different panel... no different panel exists. That is a fact, so not worth guessing. It will be the same panel as the X34. And the chances of them including an ATW Polarizer are virtually nil... I'd love it if they did, but it's not going to happen. I actually think if they did the price would be even higher tbh. This is first and foremost a gaming monitor targeted at well off gamers (or those with rich parents). ATW Polarizers are more for the high end professional sector... it's not a ROG thing.

Uh maybe....just maybe....Asus is actually exercising quality control and picking/testing panels that ARE actually capable of achieving 100hz. rolleyes.gif
post #2759 of 6126
I really don't understand the point of arguing about the X34 or the Asus. IMHO it would just be dumb to buy either one until there are A LOT of them out in the wild. This opinion is based on recent issues with the first X34 batch, and previous Acer and Asus 27" releases.
EconoGamer#
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K 5 GHz (delidded) ASRock Z97 Extreme4 nVidia Titan Xp Team Xtreem 16GB/2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT 120G SSD (OS) Crucial MX200 500G SSD (Games) Corsair H75 Hydro Cooler Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator Z35 Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Corsair HX750 v2 80+ Gold Thermaltake Core X9 (M0dd3D!) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G403 wireless XTrac Ripper XL (cloth) Realtek ALC1150 (on-board) Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
EconoGamer#
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K 5 GHz (delidded) ASRock Z97 Extreme4 nVidia Titan Xp Team Xtreem 16GB/2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT 120G SSD (OS) Crucial MX200 500G SSD (Games) Corsair H75 Hydro Cooler Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator Z35 Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Corsair HX750 v2 80+ Gold Thermaltake Core X9 (M0dd3D!) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G403 wireless XTrac Ripper XL (cloth) Realtek ALC1150 (on-board) Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 Headphones 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2760 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sheyster View Post

I really don't understand the point of arguing about the X34 or the Asus. IMHO it would just be dumb to buy either one until there are A LOT of them out in the wild. This opinion is based on recent issues with the first X34 batch, and previous Acer and Asus 27" releases.

Yeah, I do agree, we should wait for user reviews, the ACER Predator X34 gets lots of good user reviews and the ASUS PG348Q is just the same as the ACER Predator X34, then you might as well get the ACER Predator X34
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [TFTCentral] Acer Predator XR341CK 34" Curved Gaming Screen with G-sync