Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [TFTCentral] Acer Predator XR341CK 34" Curved Gaming Screen with G-sync
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TFTCentral] Acer Predator XR341CK 34" Curved Gaming Screen with G-sync - Page 499

post #4981 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypine27 View Post

No game mode is NOT required for g-sync to work. G-sync works fine without it being on.

I read the manual and forgot exactly what game mode did as well. Like you said, all I noticed was that it made the screen much dimmer on my monitor too.

Heres a note of interest:

When you go into your nvidia control panel and into the g-sync settings page, there are 2 choices:
Enable g-sync in full screen only
Enable g-sync in full screen and windowed mode only.

I chose the 1st option, enable in full screen only, because I thought "I NEVER game in anything except full screen so why do I want to complicate things by allowing it to work in windowed mode as well?"

Turns out, this actually messed up 2 of my game titles:

Far Cry 4
Arma 3

I am using the latest nvidia drivers and when I try to load Far Cry 4 or Arma 3 with g-sync in full screen only mode, they both crash to a BSOD that says something like "stack_driver_overrun" 100% of the time. If I change that g-sync option to the 2nd choice, work in windowed and full screen, then both titles load fine. I am not sure why this is because in both titles, I obviously run them in full screen mode anyway. Might have something to do with that very beginning of loading where its in "windowed" mode for a few seconds as loading screens are popping up etc. No idea really but its something you might check if certain titles crash.

This is very interesting. I get stack driver overrun too since purchasing this monitor. I take it you didnt have gsync before either. Ill take a look into running it in windowed mode too and see what a difference it makes.

As for fishing planet. (I jam it too tongue.gif) Cant take the farm out of farmboy.

Stack driver overrun seemed software related, but now i am not so sure.

Ill get back to you after testing
post #4982 of 6126
Putting gsync in windowed mode and fullscreen completely rapes my FPS in some games.

Tried fishing planet and war thunder. Both ran at around 20 fps.

Put it back on fullscreen only and it gets over 300.

Very odd
post #4983 of 6126
I agree guys about the FPS difference.

For example, when I put g-sync to run in windowed+full screen mode (again, we are talking about the nvidia control panel setting here, NOT running the game in actual windowed mode, I assume we all run the games in full screen mode) which I have to do in order to get far cry and Arma 3 to load, the frame rate is 60-70 ish.

However, I can alt-tab to the desktop, go into the nivida control panel, and now change the g-sync setting to run in full screen mode only, and then alt tab back into the game (either far cry or arma 3) and the game does NOT instantly crash to the stack_driver_overrun AND the frame rate goes up by a solid 10 FPS or more.

It appears there is some issue at starting certain titles with the g-sync setting set to full screen only (and correct guys, I did not have g-sync before this monitor).

I hope nivida can fix this and someone reports it to them.
post #4984 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbass350z View Post

Is Game mode required to run gsync? What exactly is Game mode? It dimmed my screen alot.

As far as I interpret the manual, Game Mode is simply a named user settings profile that works the same as the other profiles 1-3 but is just marked "G" so you can easily recall what you use it for (and underlines what this monitor is marketed as).

It's not like TVs, where Game Mode usually means turning off any image enhancers that might increase input lag. Computer monitors usually don't have these, since it's assumed that the PC already performs enhancements during video decompression.
post #4985 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypine27 View Post

I agree guys about the FPS difference.

For example, when I put g-sync to run in windowed+full screen mode (again, we are talking about the nvidia control panel setting here, NOT running the game in actual windowed mode, I assume we all run the games in full screen mode) which I have to do in order to get far cry and Arma 3 to load, the frame rate is 60-70 ish.

However, I can alt-tab to the desktop, go into the nivida control panel, and now change the g-sync setting to run in full screen mode only, and then alt tab back into the game (either far cry or arma 3) and the game does NOT instantly crash to the stack_driver_overrun AND the frame rate goes up by a solid 10 FPS or more.

It appears there is some issue at starting certain titles with the g-sync setting set to full screen only (and correct guys, I did not have g-sync before this monitor).

I hope nivida can fix this and someone reports it to them.

Ok doing a DDU and installing http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3798/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-358.59 seems to have gotten rid of the issues with gsync in windowed mode for the games i had issues with.
post #4986 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by swerve101 View Post

Ok doing a DDU and installing http://nvidia.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3798/~/geforce-hotfix-driver-358.59 seems to have gotten rid of the issues with gsync in windowed mode for the games i had issues with.

What is a DDU? Im reinstalling that hot fix again (installed it before and it didnt seem to fix the crash to BSOD stack_overrun_ with Arma 3). Trying again now.
post #4987 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by skypine27 View Post

What is a DDU? Im reinstalling that hot fix again (installed it before and it didnt seem to fix the crash to BSOD stack_overrun_ with Arma 3). Trying again now.

I think he means the driver cleaner found here:

http://www.guru3d.com/files-details/display-driver-uninstaller-download.html
post #4988 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainlifter View Post

well, if he used the same adapter at a friend's house, that would replicate the issue again..

Oh, I see what you mean - the PSU for the monitor would be the same. Yes, that's what happened. If the PSU itself was flakey I would expect to see scanlines all the time, not just when a gsync application is active. Of course, it could be that the module is so sensitive that a slightly dodgy power supply produces the problem only at OC/GSYNC on settings.

I have also been able to diagnose a further problem. If I turn GSYNC ON with OC OFF (to get rid of the scan lines) if my frame rate drops below 20fps I get a serious flicker all along the top of the monitor about 3cm deep. However, if I turn OC mode ON, and leave GSYNC ON, that flicker disappears completely, even at the same FPS. Odd.
post #4989 of 6126
Ok, so I set up mine yesterday, and for now, it looks really good. 100hz no problem, no buzzing sound ( except when I stuck my hear on the monitor ) no flickering, an acceptable level of blb, no blue banding, no dead pixels, and no scan lines on any games I tried for now ( tried rocket league, Witcher 3 and Borderland 2, I'll look again though, maybe I missed them ).

THe only thing that bother me is my second monitor when I set it to 100Hz since I installed the X34, it's really laggy, I'll have to investigate why .

And My god how awesome this monitor looks!

And after that, My mother board started dying, PCI-e ports seems randomly non existent when I start up my PC, no signal, no sound with my PCI-e sound card.

So yeah... **** : /
post #4990 of 6126
Quote:
Originally Posted by smoobandit View Post

Oh, I see what you mean - the PSU for the monitor would be the same. Yes, that's what happened. If the PSU itself was flakey I would expect to see scanlines all the time, not just when a gsync application is active. Of course, it could be that the module is so sensitive that a slightly dodgy power supply produces the problem only at OC/GSYNC on settings.

I have also been able to diagnose a further problem. If I turn GSYNC ON with OC OFF (to get rid of the scan lines) if my frame rate drops below 20fps I get a serious flicker all along the top of the monitor about 3cm deep. However, if I turn OC mode ON, and leave GSYNC ON, that flicker disappears completely, even at the same FPS. Odd.

Don't worry too much about the flicker below 30hz/fps when G-sync is on. That is a "feature" to prevent something like a burn in ie. the image needs to be refreshed. It should also happen during loading screens that display a static image. It is part of the G-sync operation. http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Editorial/Look-Reported-G-Sync-Display-Flickering
That said, the below-30-flickering is supposed to be of the whole screen and not just the top portion. And moreover, it should have been minimized or eliminated by Nvidia by now going by what is stated at the end of the article. And I do think it was resolved by using multiples of the FPS as the refresh rate when the fps dropped below 30.

EDIT: I re-read the article and I think I remember now. If there is a sudden fps drop to near 0 or just a very low value, you see the flickering because G-sync forces the panel to refresh at 30Hz.

However, if the fps drops gradually because the game load is too much, then as it crosses 30 to say 25, the refresh is doubled ie. the panel is at 50Hz now. And further down, say 15fps, the panel is refreshed at a quadrupled 60Hz. etc. The exact reading material is here http://www.pcper.com/reviews/Graphics-Cards/Dissecting-G-Sync-and-FreeSync-How-Technologies-Differ

EDIT2: In summary, don't worry too much about phenomena below 30FPS/Hz. IF the same happens at 100Hz refresh with G-sync On or even Off, then that is something to worry about.
Edited by Mountainlifter - 11/4/15 at 2:12am
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [TFTCentral] Acer Predator XR341CK 34" Curved Gaming Screen with G-sync