So after months of using the guts in an ATX box as a HTPC, work has resumed!
Remembering where one left off after months away from as project is always a challenge, let alone finding all of the parts. Took a bit of digging in the shop but I found everything, and after re-antiquating myself with what needs to get done work resumed albeit slowly.
Since my last update my SLR camera suffered fatal damage at the hands of my nephew, so cell phone camera to the rescue at least for now. Please excuse the potato image quality
The first thing I got to work on was the rear of the case, starting with where the hinges would mount.
I built the rear wood panel out of a piece of maple that was once a part of my grandmother's colonial maple desk, she bought it used in the 1930's so the tree it came from was likely cut down in the late 1800's. The desk was damaged in a basement flood when I was a kid, I kept using it until it began to fall apart when I was in University. I salvaged all of the undamaged wood and it has been waiting to be re-purposed since then. This may be the oldest component ever used on OCN
It will be bonded between the aluminum U-Channel at the rear of the case using carbon fiber resin, in the pic below it has not been "pressed and bonded" yet. The round cutouts in the center are for the hinge mechanisms, and the yellow item with the wires is the AC power socket.
The intake and exhaust vents have their mesh cut:
I have opted to downsize the PSU for now to a 250W 1U Seasonic. It is less than half the weight, and more than enough wattage for a system based around an i3 and a GTX 750 Ti.
ATX PSU on top, the 500W 1U and the 250 at the bottom:
More to come soon, as I want this done before the end of next month in time for winter.
Safety goggles on, let's get to workEdited by Photograph - 10/26/15 at 11:12am