Originally Posted by DerComissar
Superb work on the cables, and you did them yourself, not paying someone else to do them for you.
It looks great with the pastel white coolant, makes the "fish" stand out well on the gpu block.
The barb fittings are a nice change from the compression fittings so commonly used with soft tubing these days.
Great job on the build log, and all the photography, keeping us up to date.
Would never pay someone else to do that
Each and every wire has to be measured correctly, if not, it will not fit
I agree it looks very nice with the pastel white.
I was what i had left from my other build
Contemplating switching to hard tubing and compression fittings some time this fall tho ^^
Originally Posted by TheCautiousOne
+ Rep on the Effort for Cables. Thats Good stuff man!!
The Cautious ONe
Thank you, it really means a lot Finishing Sleeving
Yesterday i worked long and hard to be finshed with the build, but ran into some unexpected problems at the end, so i will try to finsh it today :nod:
I am sleeving heatshrinkless, on one of the sides.
Inside the psu i am heatshrinking both to shield the solderin points and to fasten the sleeving.
I followed the planned layout for the sleeving on all the cables except some small changes on the EPS.
I didnt take too many photos of the process as it is pretty much the same thing over and over again
-Measure up some sleeving, accounting for the stretch.
-Getting a small piece of heatshrink to shield the plastic so it doesent tear when it melts.
-Melting the tip of the sleeving so it fastens to the crimp
-remove the heatshrink and cuting a longer piece for the PSU end.
-Stretch the sleeve as much as i can, then fastening it inside the PSU with heatshrink.
Since i already had measured up the lenghts, (did not account well enough for the extra thickness of the sleeving tho, more on that later)
it didnt take more than ~3-4 hours to sleeve the entire PSU.
Finished sleeving the EPS. I put a cable comb on it once i was finished with it so it could train even while i was working on the other cables.
The second cable i finished was the 24 pin.
When i made the cables i used a mixture of MDPCX crimps, and some other i bought.
The MDPC crimping tool is adjusted to match the mdpc crimps, so most of the other crimps broke one of the wings when i crimped them...
I changed these, and replaced them wih mdpcx ones as i was going.
A weird thing that happened with the bleedig of the black cables through the red sleeving is that it became ALOT more like the ROG red.
A nice coincidence ^^
Here are both of the cables inside the system.
Its an extremely tight fit. Contemplating changing the tube that goes from the drain valve to the CPU out with a longer one.
Other than that i was thrilled with the results at this point
This problem was one that i expected.
I will be making the cutout bigger today to accomodate for the extra width.
I heatshrinked the cables well inside the PSU so the heatshrink cant be seen from the outside.
At this point all of the cables are completely sleeved.
The stretch was good on all of them but three.
I will be stretching these better when i expand the hole in the PSU.
A little bit messy.
There are about as many cables outside the PSU as there are on the inside
Computer up and running!
I didnt take any pictures of this, but before this i checked if all the cables where in the correct spot, with the correct volatges etc.
On the GPU cables i just used a multimeter, but on the EPS and 24 pin i have a PSU tester that i used.
The 12V and the sense cable on the 8 pin GPU cable were switched around, so fixed that, then powered it up!
Here you can see one of the problems i will see if i can fix later today.
The GPU cables are a little too short/messy.
By cleaning up the mess and sorting them i hope to gain a little more lenght so they dont go at an angle over the block
You cant see it very well in this picture, but over 50% of the cables are sticking out of the power supply XD
Will take better pictures once the build is complete of course
The problem i was talking about earlier is that i cant find the dremel...
A hacksaw isnt the apropriate tool to expand the power supply cutout.
Therefore i had to wait until today and go get my own dremel
Crossing my fingers to get done with all the finishing touches of the build today!
Then comes the final pictures Edited by Sindre2104 - 3/24/15 at 2:38am