Originally Posted by jdstock76
I'm fascinated that you're using timber. What type will you be using? Anything exotic or traditional oak/maple/etc.?
I think it will probably be done in kiln-dried ash, smooth planed. I've used it before and its very nice timber.
I know it seems like a hell of a lot of effort to go to for a test rig - but I have to be certain
this works and that the layout is absolutely correct before I commission any of the metalwork. The main mounting plate in particular is basically a one shot deal. It's formed from a single piece of sheet steel; cut, drilled, punched and folded into its 3D shape, then powder coated. I can’t alter it once it’s made. If any bit of it is even slightly wrong somehow, then the whole thing has to be scrapped and done again. So I’m taking no risks - a wooden mounting plate mockup is cheaper to remake than a real steel one. This also gives me a chance to do some nice flow and thermal performance tests, in case the design does have to be changed in some way.
If the frame does turn out really nicely, I suppose can always keep it for use in another build sometime in the future.
Originally Posted by Anateus
So, whats the overall progress? Do you have all the fittings you need? Time goes on and we demand pics!
The overall progress is in short, agonisingly slow. Every little step forward seems to take an eternity.
All the fittings? No. Not even close.
Assuming the final design does conform to the current model, with no further modifications, then I have got just under 30% of the total number required. And the pack of the gold Monsoon Free Centre I have is for soft tubing, so plus another six if I do go for acrylic instead.
(Having made the mistake of working out the total number of fittings I need, despite being wisely told not to think about it, I am now very depressed…)
All of the custom parts are still to do - the motherboard cooling setup (which may or may not need to be redesigned) the radiator backlighting spacers, the facing plates, the new glass front plate, internal fill plates, front internal fan grills, floorplate metalwork, motherboard plate and the main mounting plate. I’m still working on doing that front backlighting spacer I wrote about a while back, but the circle cutouts get so close to the edge it may be that I need to get these made by CAD-CAM too. The fans still aren’t painted, nor are the pump covers. I also don’t yet have the front switches, the sensors, the Poweradjust heat sinks, the Aquaero waterblock or the pumps; nor any of the clear tubing, the Aquabus cables, internal USB cables, extension cables for the I/O and GPUs, or the right angle adaptors for the motherboard.
And of course neither the graphics cards nor their waterblocks are even chosen, let alone acquired...