Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Drivers and Overclocking Software › GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ┌(ô益ô)┐
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ┌(ô益ô)┐ - Page 330

post #3291 of 7449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolayNeykov View Post

The video card has the F4 modded bios that you show me and its working great, but my motherboard had something strange thing going and rolled back to F4 BIOS after i flashed the video card, but tonight it got fixed somehow by itself and got back to F6 Bios.
http://www.gigabyte.com/products/product-page.aspx?pid=5481#bios
F4 was default out of box bios for my motherboard.

So everything seems good now and i don't know if it's from the new nvidia drivers update, but temp went lower and now wicher 3 run on like 70-71 degree for a long time on auto fan, which is all i need, you think so?

That's one heck of a magic trick tongue.gif

I did tweak the fan settings for "AUTO" operation a little bit however different scenes in the game will vary GPU workload and temps as well as ambient temps. It is best to keep a temp monitor running in OSD (or LCD keyboard) to keep an eye on the temps at all times until you really get to know "your" GPU. smile.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by Armxnian View Post

Yes this is very easy to test. Just need a fairly modern system. All you need to do is download a linux distro, (I used fedora workstation), can use ubuntu, linux mint etc. Then use rufus or similar to create a bootable USB drive using the .iso you downloaded. Make sure you tell rufus to format the drive as gpt for uefi and fat32. Then just set CSM in your bios to disabled. I don't think you need to mess with secure boot if you have it off or on. Then just select the uefi drive and try and boot it. It will most likely get to the point where you have options on what to do. For fedora it asks: boot fedora, test media and boot, or troubleshoot. Just try to boot it and see if it can get to the install screen, don't actually need to install it. Should be a piece of cake for anyone on here as it's the same process as a clean windows install.

I tried this with my g1 and it freezes right after I choose to test media and boot. Tried it with a spare 750ti and it worked. If it freezes for you try setting CSM to auto or enabled and it will most likely work. If you want to make sure all your components are UEFI capable, you can also disable CSM and just boot Windows. Would appreciate if others can try this as well. smile.gif

Game over when you said "fairly modern system" I don't have a UEFI BIOS tongue.gif
Oldie but goodie (Click to show)
This is running on an NVIDIA 790i Ultra chipset.

Not really sure, like you said maybe others could try. eh-smiley.gif


Looks like it here
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/328010-30-bios-screen-blank-screen
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1624430-UEFI-Bios-showing-up-on-wrong-display-Nvidia

The issue for you guys not getting a display is a handshaking problem between your GPU and monitor. The only resolution supported by UEFI is 1280X1024. If for some reason your GPU and TV/monitor don't handshake at that resolution, you'll see the splash screen but either get a garbled display or no display in UEFI. You'll also find you're fine when in Windows (for obvious reasons).

There is no fix for this from our side. The GPU VBIOS and monitor native resolution are where the problem lies. If the display you've connected does not handshake correctly with the GPU for whatever reason, it will likely default to its native resolution, and if that's anything other than 1280X1024 you've got a problem displaying UEFI. This happens with some TVs, projectors and monitors with certain GPUs. Older displays are more likely candidates for such problems, as are very high res monitors that use new conections ( DP 1.2 daisy chaining two monitors can create problems) . I suspect a VBIOS update from the GPU vendor might help, but chances of GPU vendors making specific VBIOS versions for this are unlikely. Only workaround is to connect a display that allows you to see UEFI or try using another method of connecting the GPU to the display (DVI instead of HDMI for example). Obviously, the latter is not a guaranteed workaround, as it depends how the display and GPU handshake on that output, too.


and then

I know it's old thread, but I've decided to post my solution to the problem I was having. Who knows, it might help somebody else in future...

First of all, I wanted to point everyone's attention to raja@asus's posts in this same thread. It seems like not many people have read it and simply took it for granted. It helped me for sure, it helped me to realize absolutely nothing is wrong with my video card, nor with LED monitor (BENQ), nor anything else... it's simply about those "handshakes". His post made me experiment with my monitor's settings... and guess what? I found solution for my problem. My BIOS splash screen is always visible now.

My configuration (things that matter and are connected to this subject):

Monitor: BENQ GL2460 (one HDMI input, and one DVI-D)
Video card: EVGA nVidia GeForce 760
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H
CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K

When my PC was connected through HDMI, I have never ever had any trouble seeing BIOS splash screen. Since I have to use this same monitor for my PS4 and my PC, but PS4 only has HDMI out, I had to use HDMI port on my monitor for PS4. So, the only connector that's left unused, is DVI-D for my PC. I'd rather have them connected like that, instead of constantly unplugging HDMI cable and switching from PS4 to PC. All good, but as soon as I reset my PC, I was never able to see my BIOS splash screen. I guess HDMI and DVI-D were fighting as to who is going to have first "handshake" with my monitor.

Simple thing I did in my monitor settings that solved all my problems - "HDMI Auto Switch" option set to OFF. Voila! Both, my HDMI and DVI-D connections work perfectly fine. When I reboot, I see my BIOS splash screen.

post #3292 of 7449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

That's one heck of a magic trick tongue.gif

I did tweak the fan settings for "AUTO" operation a little bit however different scenes in the game will vary GPU workload and temps as well as ambient temps. It is best to keep a temp monitor running in OSD (or LCD keyboard) to keep an eye on the temps at all times until you really get to know "your" GPU. smile.gif

Yeah i also notice there is a little /how you call it/ "coil whine" or whatever, but it's not always, appears i played crysis 3 for a bit now and heard in my quiet room I guess it's from core voltage.
i have nice fan on the front bottom on my case custom made with big hole in my case ( removed the hard hot swaps) biggrin.gif so it goes fresh air inside and really do the best job because without him it was 7-10 degree hotter
I have another one on the bottom and 2 on the top of the case, and its mid tower. If it was full tower would be even better. Overall the Pc is very quiet compared to my brother one with x2 Radeon R9 390x G1 xD
Sorry for my bad english and explanations, cheers smile.gif

Edited by NikolayNeykov - 1/28/16 at 4:09pm
post #3293 of 7449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laithan View Post

Game over when you said "fairly modern system" I don't have a UEFI BIOS tongue.gif
Oldie but goodie (Click to show)
This is running on an NVIDIA 790i Ultra chipset.

Not really sure, like you said maybe others could try. eh-smiley.gif


Looks like it here
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/328010-30-bios-screen-blank-screen
http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/1624430-UEFI-Bios-showing-up-on-wrong-display-Nvidia
Not exactly my problem, but I tried another monitor anyway, and it still fails to boot linux.

Do you know of any bios other than gigabyte's that we can flash to these cards? I remember I flashed the evga sc before.
General Use
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4.375GHz 5820k 1.3v x99 Sabertooth 1435MHz G1 980 Ti 3000MHz 4x4GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
400GB Intel 750  H110i GTX Windows 10 Pro x64 Arch Linux VM 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ROG PG279Q DAS Model S Ultimate EVGA 1000p Fractal Design R5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 2013 Goliathus Control  O2+ODAC & HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
General Use
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4.375GHz 5820k 1.3v x99 Sabertooth 1435MHz G1 980 Ti 3000MHz 4x4GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
400GB Intel 750  H110i GTX Windows 10 Pro x64 Arch Linux VM 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ROG PG279Q DAS Model S Ultimate EVGA 1000p Fractal Design R5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 2013 Goliathus Control  O2+ODAC & HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3294 of 7449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by NikolayNeykov View Post

Yeah i also notice there is a little /how you call it/ "coil whine" or whatever, but it's not always, appears i played crysis 3 for a bit now and heard in my quiet room I guess it's from core voltage.
i have nice fan on the front bottom on my case custom made with big hole in my case ( removed the hard hot swaps) biggrin.gif so it goes fresh air inside and really do the best job because without him it was 7-10 degree hotter
I have another one on the bottom and 2 on the top of the case, and its mid tower. If it was full tower would be even better. Overall the Pc is very quiet compared to my brother one with x2 Radeon R9 390x G1 xD
Sorry for my bad english and explanations, cheers smile.gif

biggrin.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armxnian View Post

Not exactly my problem, but I tried another monitor anyway, and it still fails to boot linux.

Do you know of any bios other than gigabyte's that we can flash to these cards? I remember I flashed the evga sc before.

No sir..

Did you try another monitor or another input or both? Can you try HDMI?
post #3295 of 7449
Edit: fixed the problem. Wasn't the gpu bios. Wasn't the motherboard either. It was linux... Needed to add a boot parameter so it worked with new gpus.
Edited by Armxnian - 1/28/16 at 10:28pm
General Use
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4.375GHz 5820k 1.3v x99 Sabertooth 1435MHz G1 980 Ti 3000MHz 4x4GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
400GB Intel 750  H110i GTX Windows 10 Pro x64 Arch Linux VM 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ROG PG279Q DAS Model S Ultimate EVGA 1000p Fractal Design R5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 2013 Goliathus Control  O2+ODAC & HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
General Use
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4.375GHz 5820k 1.3v x99 Sabertooth 1435MHz G1 980 Ti 3000MHz 4x4GB G.Skill 
Hard DriveCoolingOSOS
400GB Intel 750  H110i GTX Windows 10 Pro x64 Arch Linux VM 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ROG PG279Q DAS Model S Ultimate EVGA 1000p Fractal Design R5 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Deathadder 2013 Goliathus Control  O2+ODAC & HD650 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3296 of 7449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Armxnian View Post

Edit: fixed the problem. Wasn't the gpu bios. Wasn't the motherboard either. It was linux... Needed to add a boot parameter so it worked with new gpus.




Edited by Laithan - 1/29/16 at 8:37am
post #3297 of 7449
its quite interesting, i was now for almost 2 weeks on the waterforce extreme bios and got 1580/8000 stable at 1.281v
however ive tried the air bios and the updated air bios with 1.268v too. hit the same results, so i went to techpowerups and downloaded a few bios from other watercooled cards and checked their settings. i just copied the bios 1:1 from the asus strix card to my msi 6g gaming bios and can hit 1580/8000 at 1.218v.. why? redface.gif temps are 5c lower too tongue.gif i dont even hit 50c now
post #3298 of 7449
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by minsekt View Post

its quite interesting, i was now for almost 2 weeks on the waterforce extreme bios and got 1580/8000 stable at 1.281v
however ive tried the air bios and the updated air bios with 1.268v too. hit the same results, so i went to techpowerups and downloaded a few bios from other watercooled cards and checked their settings. i just copied the bios 1:1 from the asus strix card to my msi 6g gaming bios and can hit 1580/8000 at 1.218v.. why? redface.gif temps are 5c lower too tongue.gif i dont even hit 50c now

Guessing you have the lucky combination of a GPU that overclocks really high and you also have a high ASIC% allowing that max overclock to be reached with less voltage. Sounds like you won the silicon lottery. thumb.gif

Can you grab an ASIC% reading from GPU-z??
post #3299 of 7449
its not THAT high, i have 77%
post #3300 of 7449
Is the power (139%) and voltage (+0.075) too much for 1455 mhz that i am using? I don't really need anything above, but i don't want to have any throttle as well so want card to have not much pressure?
Heard yesterday some buzzing sound when playing Crysis 3 but was not all the time, just in some moments.
Edited by NikolayNeykov - 1/29/16 at 1:49pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Drivers and Overclocking Software › GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ┌(ô益ô)┐