Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Drivers and Overclocking Software › GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ┌(ô益ô)┐
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ┌(ô益ô)┐ - Page 527

post #5261 of 7555
ive never tried the pea method, i usually do a straight line, but this time around with the ek water blocks i just spread it around to cover most of the die
Merlin's Revenge
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Processor Z270X-Gaming 8 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Corsair Dominator LED 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk Ultra II Samsung 960 Evo Custom loop Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus Rog PG279Q Asus 1080p Asus 1080p K70 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3 Core x9 G502/G303 
  hide details  
Reply
Merlin's Revenge
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Processor Z270X-Gaming 8 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Corsair Dominator LED 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk Ultra II Samsung 960 Evo Custom loop Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus Rog PG279Q Asus 1080p Asus 1080p K70 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3 Core x9 G502/G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5262 of 7555
Quote:
Originally Posted by megax05 View Post

Pea method

Oh ok so you had placed paste on before so that explains the high temps then

either too little paste or the heat-sink offset or not tight enough pressure on the die

It happens just glad your back in safe temps


How long had it been like that
post #5263 of 7555
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaad View Post

ive never tried the pea method, i usually do a straight line, but this time around with the ek water blocks i just spread it around to cover most of the die

Yes the pea method dead in middle for the cpu i find the best as the surface in concave or crowned what ever they call it

but a gpu die is flat so an x is better and use non conductive paste

Now little or more well that's up for debate

less is the case for the cpu but this is interesting with strange results for the gpu

totally caking the gpu reduced temps in turns out but more likely to do with new paste ect but still interesting

not a fan of the guy but its a strange result

https://youtu.be/rAid5G30-WM?t=307
Edited by harney - 6/3/16 at 9:07am
post #5264 of 7555
Quote:
Originally Posted by harney View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeathAngel74 View Post

Begins with "E" and ends with "A" tongue.gif


Extended Video Graphics Array

is a standard created by VESA in 1991 denoting a non-interlaced resolution of 1024x768 at a maximum of 70Hz refresh rate.

tongue.gif

Talking about

Extended Video Graphics Array again which is VESA smile.gif

Ouch
someone on OCUK 980 blow out




https://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18733814

That guy shouldn't put any tim on the chokes, it shouldn't put any tim on the poscaps but most of all he shouldn't apply any thermal grease (only) on the main vrm cooling section, i.e. to the the mosfets. He should use the thermal pads like everybody else wink.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaad View Post

Finally got the water cooling set up on my xtreme 980 ti's. non load temps are 25c avg (thank you oversized rad) and running heaven while clocked at 1490 highest temp was 43c-45c (thank you again 480mm rad)


http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12293893? 9002 score. I noticed that at +40 to the clock (with the custom bios) i was hitting 98-99% gpu usage on both cards and on +45 i was hitting 100% more and more (same on heaven) so im sitting at +40mhz and am very happy. i could probably go higher, but if im already maxing out the usage, i dont really see a point.




due to misleading pictures on performance-pcs.com i didnt have the bracket to allow for vert mounting inside the case, but i am really liking the exterior mounting, ease of access and the borg look (might have to change the theme to green)

Excellent, congrats! thumb.gif
Nice rig specool.gif

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaad View Post

ive never tried the pea method, i usually do a straight line, but this time around with the ek water blocks i just spread it around to cover most of the die

I agree, me too cool.gif
Arrow I9
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i9 7900X 4.8GHz @Heatkiller IV Pro ROG Rampage VI Apex TITAN X Pascal @ Heatkiller IV G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb + PM961 512Gb Toshiba X300 4Tb, 2x Barracuda 3Tb Cooled by EKWB, Watercool, Alphacool, Koolance XSPC RX360 v3, Alphacool Monsta 420 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator XB271HU G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 RGB SuperFlower Titanium 1000W Corsair Graphite 780T 
Mouse
Logitech G502 RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
Arrow I9
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i9 7900X 4.8GHz @Heatkiller IV Pro ROG Rampage VI Apex TITAN X Pascal @ Heatkiller IV G.Skill F4-3200C14Q-32GTZSW 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingCooling
Samsung 960 Pro 512Gb + PM961 512Gb Toshiba X300 4Tb, 2x Barracuda 3Tb Cooled by EKWB, Watercool, Alphacool, Koolance XSPC RX360 v3, Alphacool Monsta 420 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator XB271HU G.Skill Ripjaws KM780 RGB SuperFlower Titanium 1000W Corsair Graphite 780T 
Mouse
Logitech G502 RGB 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5265 of 7555
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by harney View Post

Extended Video Graphics Array

is a standard created by VESA in 1991 denoting a non-interlaced resolution of 1024x768 at a maximum of 70Hz refresh rate.

tongue.gif

Talking about

Extended Video Graphics Array again which is VESA smile.gif


teaching.gif
Loophole! LMAO



Quote:
Originally Posted by Edkiefer View Post

I forgot to also say, here is there review of my MSI 970 and in there you see they got 86c to with IR camera.

http://www.guru3d.com/articles_pages/msi_geforce_gtx_970_gaming_review,9.html
With my Corsair 500R with just stock fan setup (it does have 200mm side fan) ,my 970 goes to about 155F/67c (reading with IR gun, same place as review) with GPU core temp below 60c in something like Heaven.
So way below the 86c in review and I am OC (standard gaming clock of 1455/7700mem).

So you have to remember there testbed is open, where in a case with good airflow/ cooling will cool things down some.

I wonder how much those are. Now I want a thermal pic too! Is there an app for that? LOL


Quote:
Originally Posted by megax05 View Post

I cracked the cooler open and repasted the GPU die with the x method now with stock pl and volts my max is 67c and 74c with maxed volts and pl but I do have some random game crash with that settings

Well done.. You're on the right track now. I would keep going with all the other suggestions also (if not done already) and get it as cool as you can. Stability will be improved if you lower your overclock. It's extremely rare (with both sliders maxxed) that a GPU couldn't use the default boost speed in any of the MUMOD BIOS' so it is likely just a need to back it down a bit.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaad View Post

ive never tried the pea method, i usually do a straight line, but this time around with the ek water blocks i just spread it around to cover most of the die

This is what I do also...

However the best answer is dependent upon the TIM being used. Spreading a TIM that is ELECTRICALLY CONDUCTIVE (watch out) all over the GPU is a big RISK IMO as it could potentially leak out the sides. That's one factor. Another would be how thick it is. Some of the paste these days is so thick that it would require you to spread it... other times it is so thin pressure alone would do a good job. It's always best to go with what the maker of the TIM recommends as the claims they make are also based on their application methods.

I use Kryonaut now and the applicator it comes with is PURE GENIUS. It spreads so nice (cover entire GPU) and it's not electrically conductive.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaad View Post

Finally got the water cooling set up on my xtreme 980 ti's. non load temps are 25c avg (thank you oversized rad) and running heaven while clocked at 1490 highest temp was 43c-45c (thank you again 480mm rad)


http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/12293893? 9002 score. I noticed that at +40 to the clock (with the custom bios) i was hitting 98-99% gpu usage on both cards and on +45 i was hitting 100% more and more (same on heaven) so im sitting at +40mhz and am very happy. i could probably go higher, but if im already maxing out the usage, i dont really see a point.




due to misleading pictures on performance-pcs.com i didnt have the bracket to allow for vert mounting inside the case, but i am really liking the exterior mounting, ease of access and the borg look (might have to change the theme to green)


Very nice! Congratulations! Woo hoo!

I would ignore GPU utilization. It sometimes goes to 99% sometimes 100% but that's normal. It depends on workload and when it says 99% how do we know it's not 99.99%? smile.gif


Quote:
Originally Posted by harney View Post


but a gpu die is flat so an x is better and use non conductive paste


Yup!
Ya that guy... ugh... no comment... don't do this (in that video).. it's bad advice. It's all dependent on the specific type used and what it's made from.



Quote:
Originally Posted by arrow0309 View Post

That guy shouldn't put any tim on the chokes, it shouldn't put any tim on the poscaps but most of all he shouldn't apply any thermal grease (only) on the main vrm cooling section, i.e. to the the mosfets. He should use the thermal pads like everybody else wink.gif

^ THIS

yessir.gif
post #5266 of 7555
ditto on the non-conductive tim. my usual go to tim is the noctua tim cause its so quiet (ba ding tish) i got that one cause it was non conductive and in a large tube lol but this time around i couldnt find it so i used the teeny tubes ek provided with the blocks
Merlin's Revenge
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Processor Z270X-Gaming 8 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Corsair Dominator LED 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk Ultra II Samsung 960 Evo Custom loop Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus Rog PG279Q Asus 1080p Asus 1080p K70 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3 Core x9 G502/G303 
  hide details  
Reply
Merlin's Revenge
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Processor Z270X-Gaming 8 NVIDIA GeForce GTX 1080 Corsair Dominator LED 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Sandisk Ultra II Samsung 960 Evo Custom loop Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Asus Rog PG279Q Asus 1080p Asus 1080p K70 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNOVA 1000 G3 Core x9 G502/G303 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5267 of 7555
A question for you guys, what driver would you all recommend for the most stable on overclocking my g1 970's with this bios, I've started to have the 368.22 nvidia driver do random crashes after I leave my PC on for a few days.
post #5268 of 7555
Quote:
Originally Posted by MrJimmyPenguin View Post

A question for you guys, what driver would you all recommend for the most stable on overclocking my g1 970's with this bios, I've started to have the 368.22 nvidia driver do random crashes after I leave my PC on for a few days.


i am testing 365.19 13.5.2016 at the moment seems ok

368.22 was crashing on me

I also had good results with these two

359.06 1.12.2015
358.91 9.11.2015

Best to try a few see if stable ect and see if you get different scores the older 2015 drivers gave me better scores in benchmarks ect

Remember to DDU
post #5269 of 7555
Quote:
Originally Posted by harney View Post

i am testing 365.19 13.5.2016 at the moment seems ok

368.22 was crashing on me

I also had good results with these two

359.06 1.12.2015
358.91 9.11.2015

Best to try a few see if stable ect and see if you get different scores the older 2015 drivers gave me better scores in benchmarks ect

Remember to DDU


if I get one more crash (I'm sure I will) i'll downgrade to that 359.06 driver

Thank you smile.gif
Edited by MrJimmyPenguin - 6/4/16 at 1:35pm
post #5270 of 7555
Quote:
Originally Posted by megax05 View Post

I am running the Air bios on gtx 980 ti and my temps go up to 92c without maxing pl and volts.
I don't know what is wrong my case is a vengeance c70 with 6 fans 3 intake 3 exhaust.

I have the Corsair Vengeance C70 case also, although I've only got the GTX 970 in it. It made a big difference when I cleaned up my cabling inside the case to allow optimal air flow and added two "ghetto cooling" fans on the GPU backplate. However, with as high as 92C there may be something else involved.

In my C70, I have 2 front intake fans, 2 more fans behind the hard drive cages, then two exhausting out the top and one exhausting out the back behind the CPU cooler. When the side of the case is on, there is an 8th fan blowing in from the side window. All these are 120mm fans. The CPU cooler is a Thermalright Macho Rev B with 140mm fan. The two ghetto cooling fans are an 80mm and a 60mm fan on the backplate blowing down with rubber standoff feet.

But you may need to redo your heatsink with new TIM and thermal pads at those temps.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › NVIDIA Drivers and Overclocking Software › GIGABYTE GTX 9xx H2O/AIR BIOS Tweaking ┌(ô益ô)┐