Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [The Verge]uTorrent's latest update installs a cryptocurrency miner
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[The Verge]uTorrent's latest update installs a cryptocurrency miner - Page 13  

post #121 of 189
Glad I made the switch to Tixati a couple of months ago!RIP Utorrent.
Normandy
(19 items)
 
Secondary rig
(7 items)
 
Galaxy S5
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690K Gigabyte Z97 D3H XFX 290X DD Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 MHz (1X8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung EVO 850 500gb WD Caviar Green 2TB 2x 500GB WD Caviar Black/Blue Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
QNIX QX2710 27" 1440P Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Cooler Master GX-750W Bitfenix Colossus 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Razer Goliathus Control Edition Soundblaster Audigy RX 7.1 Denon AVR 1507 7.1 Surround System 
AudioAudio
Fiio E17 ALPEN DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 558 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q8300 @3.0 GHz MSI P45-Neo2 HD 5450 Samsung 2x 2 
Hard DriveOSCase
Samsung 160gb Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit Brandless Mid-Tower 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
2.50GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Adreno 330 2GB 16GB Internal Storage 
OSMonitorPower
Adroid KitKat 4.4.2 5.10" - 1080x1920 2800 mAh 
  hide details  
Normandy
(19 items)
 
Secondary rig
(7 items)
 
Galaxy S5
(7 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
4690K Gigabyte Z97 D3H XFX 290X DD Kingston HyperX Fury 1866 MHz (1X8) 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Samsung EVO 850 500gb WD Caviar Green 2TB 2x 500GB WD Caviar Black/Blue Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit) 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
QNIX QX2710 27" 1440P Razer Blackwidow Ultimate Cooler Master GX-750W Bitfenix Colossus 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer Deathadder Razer Goliathus Control Edition Soundblaster Audigy RX 7.1 Denon AVR 1507 7.1 Surround System 
AudioAudio
Fiio E17 ALPEN DAC/AMP Sennheiser HD 558 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
C2Q Q8300 @3.0 GHz MSI P45-Neo2 HD 5450 Samsung 2x 2 
Hard DriveOSCase
Samsung 160gb Win 8.1 Pro 64-bit Brandless Mid-Tower 
CPUGraphicsRAMHard Drive
2.50GHz Qualcomm Snapdragon 801 Adreno 330 2GB 16GB Internal Storage 
OSMonitorPower
Adroid KitKat 4.4.2 5.10" - 1080x1920 2800 mAh 
  hide details  
post #122 of 189
Hey, what coin does it mine?

OK my search came up with litecoin. You would think they would go for something better suited to cpu like XMR. Idiots.
Edited by Hueristic - 3/12/15 at 9:48am
post #123 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hueristic View Post

Hey, what coin does it mine?

OK my search came up with litecoin. You would think they would go for something better suited to cpu like XMR. Idiots.

According to the dev website it sounds like F@H
紅魔館
(12 items)
 
秋山 澪
(11 items)
 
For Sale: Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2400 / 1TB 2.5" HDD
$40 (USD) or best offer
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K ASUS X99 Deluxe Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4G DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Black 4TB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Dell CH30N BD-Read Noctua NH-D15 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NF-A14 PWM x6 Windows 10 Enterprise EVGA 750W G2 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 7700K P870KM1 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
Gskill 3000MHz 16GB F4-3000C16D-16GRS  Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 Pro 500GB Windows 10 Enterprise 
MonitorPowerCase
AUO B173QTN01.0 2560x1440p G-sync  Eurocom 780W Clevo P870KM1 
  hide details  
紅魔館
(12 items)
 
秋山 澪
(11 items)
 
For Sale: Crucial 2x8GB DDR4 2400 / 1TB 2.5" HDD
$40 (USD) or best offer
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5820K ASUS X99 Deluxe Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! Crucial Ballistix Sport 4x4G DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
WD Black 4TB Samsung 850 EVO 1TB Dell CH30N BD-Read Noctua NH-D15 
CoolingOSPowerCase
Noctua NF-A14 PWM x6 Windows 10 Enterprise EVGA 750W G2 Phanteks Enthoo Luxe 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
i7 7700K P870KM1 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 Nvidia GeForce GTX 1080 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
Gskill 3000MHz 16GB F4-3000C16D-16GRS  Samsung 850 EVO 500GB Samsung 850 Pro 500GB Windows 10 Enterprise 
MonitorPowerCase
AUO B173QTN01.0 2560x1440p G-sync  Eurocom 780W Clevo P870KM1 
  hide details  
post #124 of 189
I've been using Utorrent for years now, never installed anything on my computer, I'll continue to use it for sure ^^
post #125 of 189
I find it funny that everyone's so proud of uninstalling uTorrent. They use the same practices as many, many other software companies that put out their work for free.

How else do you expect devs to stay motivated when developing new versions of the software you know and love? I'm sure the lot of you wouldn't be satisfied making zero money whilst having invested a bunch of time and energy developing something thousands of people use. A little ad revenue goes a long way

Oh, and how long before (insert flavor of the month torrent client here) starts pushing toolbars and ads in their apps because they're fed up of asking for donations no one makes? You guys gonna blindly hate them too and move on to some other beginner dev trying to make a name for him/her self?

Come on... a little appreciation for the time that uTorrent was a lightweight client. It's not like that anymore, but you guys act as if you've been being ripped off or something....
The Douchebag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 SABERTOOTH 990FX AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series Mushkin  
  hide details  
The Douchebag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 SABERTOOTH 990FX AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series Mushkin  
  hide details  
post #126 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos93 View Post

I find it funny that everyone's so proud of uninstalling uTorrent. They use the same practices as many, many other software companies that put out their work for free.

How else do you expect devs to stay motivated when developing new versions of the software you know and love? I'm sure the lot of you wouldn't be satisfied making zero money whilst having invested a bunch of time and energy developing something thousands of people use. A little ad revenue goes a long way

Oh, and how long before (insert flavor of the month torrent client here) starts pushing toolbars and ads in their apps because they're fed up of asking for donations no one makes? You guys gonna blindly hate them too and move on to some other beginner dev trying to make a name for him/her self?

Come on... a little appreciation for the time that uTorrent was a lightweight client. It's not like that anymore, but you guys act as if you've been being ripped off or something....

Do you even know how dangerous it is to bundle this without telling people? And then install it anyway after user unticks the box? Mining is harsh on hardware. Especially SSDs and laptops.

Only reason I used utorrent was for streaming, if I can finally find another client that does it as well I will forget it ever existed.
post #127 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by Orangey View Post

Do you even know how dangerous it is to bundle this without telling people? And then install it anyway after user unticks the box? Mining is harsh on hardware. Especially SSDs and laptops.

Only reason I used utorrent was for streaming, if I can finally find another client that does it as well I will forget it ever existed.

Whatever they've bundled in the past was clearly disclosed during the install process. I know that for a fact. If this installs even if the user chooses not to, I have to conclude that that was a mistake on the devs part. I didn't see that in the news item.

Everyone up in arms against uTorrent for trying to make a little money after offering their product for free for years, yet claims of false advertising against a multi-million dollar corporation are being rationalized as mistakes on this very same forum. thumb.gif
The Douchebag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 SABERTOOTH 990FX AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series Mushkin  
  hide details  
The Douchebag
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320 SABERTOOTH 990FX AMD Radeon (TM) R9 380 Series Mushkin  
  hide details  
post #128 of 189
Quote:
Originally Posted by doritos93 View Post

Whatever they've bundled in the past was clearly disclosed during the install process. I know that for a fact. If this installs even if the user chooses not to, I have to conclude that that was a mistake on the devs part. I didn't see that in the news item.

Everyone up in arms against uTorrent for trying to make a little money after offering their product for free for years, yet claims of false advertising against a multi-million dollar corporation are being rationalized as mistakes on this very same forum. thumb.gif

Welcome to OCN where logic always prevails. smile.gif
post #129 of 189
Also: http://www.freedownloadmanager.org/

Open source donwload manager with torrent support
a cube
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k z97n gamng 5 r9 290x Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 1866 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Adata S510 60 GB Seagate ST500 Seagate ST500 Crucial M500 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 2311x Quickfire Rapid Corsair TX750 Core V1 
MouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Inferno SteelSeries QcK MDR ZX600 
  hide details  
a cube
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5 4670k z97n gamng 5 r9 290x Corsair Vengeance 2x4 GB 1866 MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Adata S510 60 GB Seagate ST500 Seagate ST500 Crucial M500 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
HP 2311x Quickfire Rapid Corsair TX750 Core V1 
MouseMouse PadAudio
CM Storm Inferno SteelSeries QcK MDR ZX600 
  hide details  
post #130 of 189
Right when I saw the title of this thread, I knew it was a lure for everyone to start talking about what alternatives they use, haha. The thing is that this software doesn't install automatically, and if a person blindly clicks through the setup process, then that's what they get. Even then, Epic Scale is not a bad piece of software in and of itself.
Quote:
Statement from Epic Scale regarding uTorrent Installs

We believe strongly in opt-in distribution and we are deeply disappointed to hear about users having problems uninstalling Epic Scale because our mission is to help people. We’ve posted uninstall instructions on our site here and have confirmed with BitTorrent that our offer is always offered on a 100% opt-in basis. If you have any questions or need help please don’t hesitate to reach out to us here: support at epicscale.com

Epic Scale was founded with a dual mission:

Benefit high-impact charities
Advance research science by providing affordable high-performance computation

Our team is a small group of developers who are determined to solve these problems. We started with cryptocurrency mining as a way to advance the first mission. Today 100% of our profits go to charity because we are just starting out and want to make as big of an impact as we can. As our company grows our plan is to donate 75% of our profits to charity. Our next step was to start helping researchers with compute problems. We’ve partnered with tier 1 research organizations such as UCSF to help with genomic computations and are working on partnerships with many more. We believe we can build a new kind of social impact company that not only makes it easier for non-profits to raise funds but also enables researchers to answer their biggest questions.

The charities we support today are Watsi and Immunity Project. To date we’ve donated thousands of dollars to both and are making growing monthly contributions. On Watsi we support individual patients with their healthcare needs.
Source

If you don't like the ads, then disable them. This website makes it idiot-proof, and I think there's some way to turn them off somewhere in advanced settings. If that's too much, then downgrade to 2.2.1. If you want to be dirty, then use uSerenity.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [The Verge]uTorrent's latest update installs a cryptocurrency miner