Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Sponsored Builds & Case Mods › [SPONSORED] Duality92's Folding Farm, 600k / 5000k PPD (12% to goal)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[SPONSORED] Duality92's Folding Farm, 600k / 5000k PPD (12% to goal) - Page 5

post #41 of 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by btupsx View Post

When I state that computers have horrible heating efficiency compared to traditional heating methods, I mean that methods such as space heaters or forced air are designed with specific intent, and are thus naturally more efficient. Space heaters and forced air radiate heat far better than a computer ever could, even consuming the exact same wattage. Superior radiance transfers heat several orders of magnitude more efficiently; think of how standing in the sunlight on a cool day feels considerably warmer than standing somewhere lightly shaded. Radiance is the reason why floorboard heating has been used for thousands of years; it's very, very efficient. I like your idea of running a floorboard loop from your rigs, very novel, but is going to take some work, and quite a few rigs. That being said, I will probably run several folding rigs as heaters next winter, but on a smaller scale. If pure electric is your only source of heat (as it is with me), it is far more defensible using folding rigs in lieu of radiant baseboards, *especially* if you have good insulation.

i don't get your point, watts utilized to create heat regardless of what it is is still the same amount of heat produced.

or are you implying directed heat?



as for the OP, i suggest using a rack with this design, you won't be needing a "push" fan.
which means, instead of buying like a hundred of $8 12cm fans, you can buy a single large $100 fan.


just use an air ventilator like this, they're very quiet for their performance and can provide quite a ridiculous amount of airflow.
you can often find them at industrial shops that deals with ventilation, pick a low-RPM but large diameter cage.

Edited by epic1337 - 3/24/15 at 6:49am
post #42 of 432
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

i don't get your point, watts utilized to create heat regardless of what it is is still the same amount of heat produced.

or are you implying directed heat?

Convection is what I assumed.
post #43 of 432
For those who aren't convinced, let me share this:
My house is heated by oil, but the thermostat is always set to 64F (I know, not my decision)
I use a space heater in my room, a device designed to generate heat. It draws about 1000W and it heats the room by about 2C every 3 hours
When used with my computer (not my watercooled one)(draws MAX 600W on load) the heating rate increases to 2C every 1.5 hours.
So whether computers alone could heat the house, I don't know but it definitely helps when used with heaters.
And keep in mind that Duality92 & I live in Quebec so electricity is much cheaper than elsewhere
Just my 2 cents smile.gif
EDIT: Heaters consume electricity and create heat; Folding rigs consume electricity, generate heat, and help with disease research.
Edited by trevorludgate - 3/24/15 at 6:57am
post #44 of 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorludgate View Post

For those who aren't convinced, let me share this:
My house is heated by oil, but the thermostat is always set to 64F (I know, not my decision)
I use a space heater in my room, a device designed to generate heat. It draws about 1000W and it heats the room by about 2C every 3 hours
When used with my computer (not my watercooled one)(draws MAX 600W on load) the heating rate increases to 2C every 1.5 hours.
So whether computers alone could heat the house, I don't know but it definitely helps when used with heaters.
And keep in mind that Duality92 & I live in Quebec so electricity is much cheaper than elsewhere
Just my 2 cents smile.gif
EDIT: Heaters consume electricity and create heat; Folding rigs consume electricity, generate heat, and help with disease research.
^This^
The Tigress
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G3258 Gigabyte Z97 SOC BFGTech GTX 260 Kingston Hyper X Blue 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X Western Digital Blue Samsung HD501 Seagate Momentus 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Cooler Master Hyper212+ Windows 8.1 32" Sony Bravia at 108p 21" HP 2011X at 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX 750 NZXT Phantom Orange and Black Razer Naga Molten 
Audio
Corsair Vengeance 1500 
  hide details  
Reply
The Tigress
(17 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Pentium G3258 Gigabyte Z97 SOC BFGTech GTX 260 Kingston Hyper X Blue 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G. Skill Ripjaws X Western Digital Blue Samsung HD501 Seagate Momentus 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Cooler Master Hyper212+ Windows 8.1 32" Sony Bravia at 108p 21" HP 2011X at 1600x900 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Microsoft Sidewinder X4 Corsair HX 750 NZXT Phantom Orange and Black Razer Naga Molten 
Audio
Corsair Vengeance 1500 
  hide details  
Reply
post #45 of 432
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by trevorludgate View Post

For those who aren't convinced, let me share this:
My house is heated by oil, but the thermostat is always set to 64F (I know, not my decision)
I use a space heater in my room, a device designed to generate heat. It draws about 1000W and it heats the room by about 2C every 3 hours
When used with my computer (not my watercooled one)(draws MAX 600W on load) the heating rate increases to 2C every 1.5 hours.
So whether computers alone could heat the house, I don't know but it definitely helps when used with heaters.
And keep in mind that Duality92 & I live in Quebec so electricity is much cheaper than elsewhere
Just my 2 cents smile.gif
EDIT: Heaters consume electricity and create heat; Folding rigs consume electricity, generate heat, and help with disease research.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomadskid View Post

^This^

^^

Exactly. Does your baseboard heaters do disease research. Does your house heating system even fold bro?
post #46 of 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post


^^

Exactly. Does your baseboard heaters do disease research. Does your house heating system even fold bro?

applaud.gif
post #47 of 432
Quote:
Originally Posted by Duality92 View Post

^^

Exactly. Does your baseboard heaters do disease research. Does your house heating system even fold bro?

my space heater keeps my food and drinks cold, and the other heater makes me breakfast, they're called a fridge and an oven biggrin.gif

hell these two alone can get my 30m² dinning room too hot if i close the windows.
post #48 of 432
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

i don't get your point, watts utilized to create heat regardless of what it is is still the same amount of heat produced.

or are you implying directed heat?



as for the OP, i suggest using a rack with this design, you won't be needing a "push" fan.
which means, instead of buying like a hundred of $8 12cm fans, you can buy a single large $100 fan.


just use an air ventilator like this, they're very quiet for their performance and can provide quite a ridiculous amount of airflow.
you can often find them at industrial shops that deals with ventilation, pick a low-RPM but large diameter cage.

I already have around 30 140mm fans xD Changed fans way to often on my two EX280 radiators xD

That's a great idea for a design, it is most likely how it will be, I would integrate it into a closet of one of the bedrooms.
post #49 of 432
yeah, the heat output would then be directional, if you add a motorized guide-fins on the exhaust you can even make it "swing" like a floor standing air conditioner.
post #50 of 432
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by epic1337 View Post

yeah, the heat output would then be directional, if you add a motorized guide-fins on the exhaust you can even make it "swing" like a floor standing air conditioner.

Let's not get too far ahead of ourselves xD I don't even have a rig up and folding yet lol AND I'm not even moved into said house.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Sponsored Builds & Case Mods
Overclock.net › Forums › Case Mods & Cases › Sponsored Builds & Case Mods › [SPONSORED] Duality92's Folding Farm, 600k / 5000k PPD (12% to goal)