Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] GTX Titan X Maxwell reviews
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] GTX Titan X Maxwell reviews - Page 130  

post #1291 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingduqc View Post

lol. Its an edge case and the performence is still above refresh rate... I would not buy 2 titan x on a 2500k, but then again i would not get two titan to begin with.

Cf 290 with a 6 core haswell a new case and mobo and an ssd and a full watercooling loop and and some poket change is 2000$ better used then two titan x that wilk be obsolete in a year when 16nm and hmb get out in the market.

Hex cores for the most part are a waste if used just for gaming. But if you can actually take advantage of the extra cores then by all means go for it. Otherwise if it's going to be a gaming rig 95% of the time I'd still say a higher clocked quad core is better, especially if you play a lot of legacy games that can't multithread worth a damn.

Anyway didn't he say he'd have to upgrade the mobo to support SLI anyway? If that's the case I'd honestly recommend just starting over with Z97 + 4790K instead of putting any more money into a venerable but aging platform.

Also LOL @ BigMack's Titan X SLI. Isn't he the guy who railed against $1000 flagship GPUs?
post #1292 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnek View Post

Hex cores for the most part are a waste if used just for gaming. But if you can actually take advantage of the extra cores then by all means go for it. Otherwise if it's going to be a gaming rig 95% of the time I'd still say a higher clocked quad core is better, especially if you play a lot of legacy games that can't multithread worth a damn.

Anyway didn't he say he'd have to upgrade the mobo to support SLI anyway? If that's the case I'd honestly recommend just starting over with Z97 + 4790K instead of putting any more money into a venerable but aging platform.

Also LOL @ BigMack's Titan X SLI. Isn't he the guy who railed against $1000 flagship GPUs?

Would you say getting a 6 core Haswell would make sense if you want to run tri-SLI? The 40PCIe lanes will come in handy.
post #1293 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnek View Post

Hex cores for the most part are a waste if used just for gaming. But if you can actually take advantage of the extra cores then by all means go for it. Otherwise if it's going to be a gaming rig 95% of the time I'd still say a higher clocked quad core is better, especially if you play a lot of legacy games that can't multithread worth a damn.

Anyway didn't he say he'd have to upgrade the mobo to support SLI anyway? If that's the case I'd honestly recommend just starting over with Z97 + 4790K instead of putting any more money into a venerable but aging platform.

Also LOL @ BigMack's Titan X SLI. Isn't he the guy who railed against $1000 flagship GPUs?

His principles ran out. tongue.gif

Regarding Titan X SLI paired with a 2500k... that just seems silly.
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
Super P's rig
(20 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5960x ASUS X99-A II Asus GTX 1080 Ti Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
MyDigitalSSD BPX NVMe Samsung 850 EVO Seagate Momentus XT 500 GB External DVDRW 
CoolingCoolingOSMonitor
EK-XLC Predator 240 Swiftech 240mm Radiator Windows 10 Samsung 40" 4K - UN40KU6290 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
G710+ EVGA SuperNOVA 850G2 Fractal Design Define S G700s 
Mouse PadAudioAudioAudio
Vipamz Extended XXXL Asus U7 M-Audio AV40 Sennheiser HD 439 
  hide details  
post #1294 of 1345
I've got a Titan X inbound that I plan of running on my x58 i7 990x setup for now. I'll let you know how it turns out. biggrin.gif
The Construct
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 990x @ 4.7 /w HeatKiller Rev3.0 Ni-BL EVGA x58 Classified /w EK x58 Full Waterblock Asus Titan X 24GB Patriot Viper Xtreme DDR3 2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
2x VisionTek Racer 480GB SSD Raid 0 OCZ RevoDrive X2 240GB Windows 10 30" LG Flatron W3000H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX1200i Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M65 RGB 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair MM200 Asus Xonar Xense 7.1 
  hide details  
The Construct
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 990x @ 4.7 /w HeatKiller Rev3.0 Ni-BL EVGA x58 Classified /w EK x58 Full Waterblock Asus Titan X 24GB Patriot Viper Xtreme DDR3 2000 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSMonitor
2x VisionTek Racer 480GB SSD Raid 0 OCZ RevoDrive X2 240GB Windows 10 30" LG Flatron W3000H 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Logitech G19 Corsair AX1200i Corsair Obsidian 800D Corsair M65 RGB 
Mouse PadAudio
Corsair MM200 Asus Xonar Xense 7.1 
  hide details  
post #1295 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by magnek View Post

That's gen 2 x16 Guru3D is referring to. Here we're talking about gen 2 x8, which is equivalent to gen 1.1 x16, and the difference is most definitely larger than 3-5% -- it's actually 25% for that particular game.

Yep, hence why I posted he should just go with 1 Titan with a board that old and a high clocked 2500K (still a very capable CPU even now). It's a moot point though. He does not have a K chip. He will be CPU bound. Time for a rebuild! thumb.gif
EconoGamer#
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K 5 GHz (delidded) ASRock Z97 Extreme4 nVidia Titan Xp Team Xtreem 16GB/2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT 120G SSD (OS) Crucial MX200 500G SSD (Games) Corsair H75 Hydro Cooler Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator Z35 Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Corsair HX750 v2 80+ Gold Thermaltake Core X9 (M0dd3D!) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G403 wireless XTrac Ripper XL (cloth) Realtek ALC1150 (on-board) Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 Headphones 
  hide details  
EconoGamer#
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K 5 GHz (delidded) ASRock Z97 Extreme4 nVidia Titan Xp Team Xtreem 16GB/2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT 120G SSD (OS) Crucial MX200 500G SSD (Games) Corsair H75 Hydro Cooler Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator Z35 Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Corsair HX750 v2 80+ Gold Thermaltake Core X9 (M0dd3D!) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G403 wireless XTrac Ripper XL (cloth) Realtek ALC1150 (on-board) Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 Headphones 
  hide details  
post #1296 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by inedenimadam View Post

This.

Not to mention the 8Gb system RAM is going to get swallowed up quick and then the page file running on the HDD is going to be a massive bottleneck.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mhill2029 View Post

You'd think so, but so often i see people throw all their cash in one area and neglect others. Like a 4k monitor for gaming, then complaining about poor fps with a gtx 570. There's a lot of folk like that out there.




So heres the deal guys, first off I only have the i5-2500, not the K unfortunately, However, I will be forced to upgrade my CPU and Mobo anyway because my current Mobo doesnt have SLI support...and therefore if I upgrade my Mobo I will have to upgrade my CPU obviously.

I am planning on getting the following CPU and Mobo, I would really appreciate if you guys could let me know if this Mobo would run SLI with Titan X's if I decide to go that route.

Mobo:ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH Z87 Socket 1150 Intel Z87 Chipset
CPU:Intel Core i5-4460 Quad-Core Processor

I currently have a Samsung EVO SSD btw.
post #1297 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaSceptre View Post

If you're buying TWO Titan x's i think it's pretty safe to assume he's not gaming at 1080p..

I haven't seen any significant performance hits between the 2 gens, whether a few fps is worth the cost of upgrading his CPU and Mobo, is entirely up to him.


The reason I want to go all the way is because I dont upgrade my computer in a span of like every 10 years, so if I buy something I like to get top notch so it will last me a long time.

Though I am fine with 1080p, I plan on playing 4K if I have the capability...right now I have the affordability to buy these cards, but who knows what the future holds, I am just wondering if its actually worth spending money on SLI as in will it make a big difference in gaming etc..
post #1298 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRoNtOGuYY View Post


So heres the deal guys, first off I only have the i5-2500, not the K unfortunately, However, I will be forced to upgrade my CPU and Mobo anyway because my current Mobo doesnt have SLI support...and therefore if I upgrade my Mobo I will have to upgrade my CPU obviously.

I am planning on getting the following CPU and Mobo, I would really appreciate if you guys could let me know if this Mobo would run SLI with Titan X's if I decide to go that route.

Mobo:ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH Z87 Socket 1150 Intel Z87 Chipset
CPU:Intel Core i5-4460 Quad-Core Processor

I currently have a Samsung EVO SSD btw.

If you are going to get Titan X SLI, I would consider a K series CPU, a decent CPU cooler, and an OC to at least 4.2 GHz absolutely mandatory. That motherboard is fine edit - didn't see it's z87 -- get z97 instead but I'd highly recommend a 4670k.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRoNtOGuYY View Post

The reason I want to go all the way is because I dont upgrade my computer in a span of like every 10 years, so if I buy something I like to get top notch so it will last me a long time.

Though I am fine with 1080p, I plan on playing 4K if I have the capability...right now I have the affordability to buy these cards, but who knows what the future holds, I am just wondering if its actually worth spending money on SLI as in will it make a big difference in gaming etc..

My advice is don't bother with SLI Titan X cards until you have a 4k display in hand. A single Titan X is more than sufficient at 1080p.
Edited by BigMack70 - 4/3/15 at 7:35am
Glorious 4K
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930k @ 4.625 GHz ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti @ 1950/12200 Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-2666 C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 240GB Seagate 600 Pro 240 GB WD Black 4TB Corsair H110 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Noctua NF-A14 x2 Corsair SP140 x2 Corsair AF120 x1 Corsair SP120 x4 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EVGA Titan X Hybrid AIO Windows 10 Professional x64 Sharp Aquos 4K LC-60UD27U Logitech K520 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200 Corsair Obsidian 450D Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700 Sound Blaster Z Sound Card 
AudioAudioOther
Logitech Z906 Speakers Razer Chimaera 5.1 Headphones Sunbeam Rheosmart 6 fan controller 
  hide details  
Glorious 4K
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930k @ 4.625 GHz ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti @ 1950/12200 Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-2666 C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 240GB Seagate 600 Pro 240 GB WD Black 4TB Corsair H110 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Noctua NF-A14 x2 Corsair SP140 x2 Corsair AF120 x1 Corsair SP120 x4 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EVGA Titan X Hybrid AIO Windows 10 Professional x64 Sharp Aquos 4K LC-60UD27U Logitech K520 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200 Corsair Obsidian 450D Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700 Sound Blaster Z Sound Card 
AudioAudioOther
Logitech Z906 Speakers Razer Chimaera 5.1 Headphones Sunbeam Rheosmart 6 fan controller 
  hide details  
post #1299 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRoNtOGuYY View Post


So heres the deal guys, first off I only have the i5-2500, not the K unfortunately, However, I will be forced to upgrade my CPU and Mobo anyway because my current Mobo doesnt have SLI support...and therefore if I upgrade my Mobo I will have to upgrade my CPU obviously.

I am planning on getting the following CPU and Mobo, I would really appreciate if you guys could let me know if this Mobo would run SLI with Titan X's if I decide to go that route.

Mobo:ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH Z87 Socket 1150 Intel Z87 Chipset
CPU:Intel Core i5-4460 Quad-Core Processor

I currently have a Samsung EVO SSD btw.
Two Titan Xs and you cant shell out for a Z97 motherboard and a 4790k? Really?
What
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6950X X99 Deluxe Vega 64 32GB @ 3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 960 Pro Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell UltraSharp U3014 Microsoft SideWinder X4 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX860 NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Castor Asus Xonar STX + 2x LME49860NA OPs + HD650s 
  hide details  
What
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-6950X X99 Deluxe Vega 64 32GB @ 3200 
Hard DriveOSMonitorKeyboard
Samsung 960 Pro Windows 10 Pro x64 Dell UltraSharp U3014 Microsoft SideWinder X4 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX860 NZXT Switch 810 Mionix Castor Asus Xonar STX + 2x LME49860NA OPs + HD650s 
  hide details  
post #1300 of 1345
Quote:
Originally Posted by ToRoNtOGuYY View Post


So heres the deal guys, first off I only have the i5-2500, not the K unfortunately, However, I will be forced to upgrade my CPU and Mobo anyway because my current Mobo doesnt have SLI support...and therefore if I upgrade my Mobo I will have to upgrade my CPU obviously.

I am planning on getting the following CPU and Mobo, I would really appreciate if you guys could let me know if this Mobo would run SLI with Titan X's if I decide to go that route.

Mobo:ASUS TUF SABERTOOTH Z87 Socket 1150 Intel Z87 Chipset
CPU:Intel Core i5-4460 Quad-Core Processor

I currently have a Samsung EVO SSD btw.

Get a newer Z97 board and a Devil's Canyon i5 or i7 K series CPU if you can (4790K would be best IMHO). thumb.gif
EconoGamer#
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K 5 GHz (delidded) ASRock Z97 Extreme4 nVidia Titan Xp Team Xtreem 16GB/2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT 120G SSD (OS) Crucial MX200 500G SSD (Games) Corsair H75 Hydro Cooler Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator Z35 Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Corsair HX750 v2 80+ Gold Thermaltake Core X9 (M0dd3D!) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G403 wireless XTrac Ripper XL (cloth) Realtek ALC1150 (on-board) Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 Headphones 
  hide details  
EconoGamer#
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4790K 5 GHz (delidded) ASRock Z97 Extreme4 nVidia Titan Xp Team Xtreem 16GB/2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Corsair Force GT 120G SSD (OS) Crucial MX200 500G SSD (Games) Corsair H75 Hydro Cooler Windows 10 x64 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Acer Predator Z35 Corsair K95 RGB Platinum Corsair HX750 v2 80+ Gold Thermaltake Core X9 (M0dd3D!) 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Logitech G403 wireless XTrac Ripper XL (cloth) Realtek ALC1150 (on-board) Audio Technica ATH-MSR7 Headphones 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Various] GTX Titan X Maxwell reviews