Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Forbes] Nvidia Explains Why Their G-Sync Display Tech Is Superior To AMD's FreeSync
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Forbes] Nvidia Explains Why Their G-Sync Display Tech Is Superior To AMD's FreeSync - Page 46  

post #451 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

Because to do variable refresh, the monitor can't just be a dumb vessel anymore. Why do you preclude that as a possibility, let alone an optimal solution?

Either the display stays dumb and the entire processes is handle GPU side, thus probably requiring a tweaked driver for EVERY display that supports it. Or you smarten up the panel, and give it the capabilities to do it on its own.

I think what everyone is really pissed at is that Nvidia could license G-Sync to AMD, and AMD cards could drive G-Sync - I literally can't see of a reason outside of business/money that would prevent it. Maybe after Nvidia earns a bit of R&D back they will offer it up.

I digress,

Currently the smart display is the, obviously, better performing way of doing things. Only time will tell how it really unfolds though!
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

g-sync wins, end of topic.

I wouldn't say that just yet.

While G-Sync is clearly better than FreeSync now, I could see FreeSync work with proper validation processes and proper driver support from both display manufacturer and AMD. I personally am going with G-Sync myself, for now, but don't call FreeSync dead just yet.

We can kick and poke at it a little, but don't get your hands near the teeth, it might still have some bite in it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 MSi GTX 780 Ti TwinFrozr Gaming 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 MSi GTX 780 Ti TwinFrozr Gaming 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
post #452 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post


Currently the smart display is the, obviously, better performing way of doing things. Only time will tell how it really unfolds though!
I wouldn't say that just yet.

While G-Sync is clearly better than FreeSync now, I could see FreeSync work with proper validation processes and proper driver support from both display manufacturer and AMD. I personally am going with G-Sync myself, for now, but don't call FreeSync dead just yet.

We can kick and poke at it a little, but don't get your hands near the teeth, it might still have some bite in it.
Given how every review out there, even the ones that point out the negatives (ghosting and behaviour below the minimum vrr) stated how beautiful the experience is within the vrr window, me thinks you're trying to pass personal opinion as fact somehow.It's near death because of your initial impressions of it ha.... Okay....
post #453 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by PlugSeven View Post

Given how every review out there, even the ones that point out the negatives (ghosting and behaviour below the minimum vrr) stated how beautiful the experience is within the vrr window, me thinks you're trying to pass personal opinion as fact somehow.It's near death because of your initial impressions of it ha.... Okay....

A person would be stupid to consider FreeSync dead right now.

Hardware vendors outside of AMD put money into this, they are going to give it a decent effort before giving up on it. Not even all the FreeSync displays are out right now either. Upcoming display vendors could have easily learned from these launch issues are could be making corrections right now.

I am saying that as someone that just spent almost $800 on a G-Sync display last Wednesday. Pretty sure people who aren't invested in either technology now should be able to see it.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 MSi GTX 780 Ti TwinFrozr Gaming 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 MSi GTX 780 Ti TwinFrozr Gaming 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
post #454 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post

From the point of view of the graphics card, it shouldn't need to care how the monitor uses the information given to it. All the graphics card needs to do is tell the monitor what to do, and it uses a standard protocol in order to do so.

My point is, why are you so sure of this? You say this is the way it should be, but what if that's not sufficient, on a technical level? It may suit your fancy as far as what you think is the appropriate relationship between GPU and display, but what if it's just not good enough? What then?
post #455 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by krel View Post

Kinda seems like this is one of those things where you just have to try it for yourself.

No where near me for that unfortunately. Is partly why I don't have one. That and I really want something larger than 27" Personally I really enjoyed going from 24" to 32" as it felt like a significant upgrade even if it didn't have all the newest other whiz bang features (which I've yet to be able experience anyhow).
Office rig
(24 items)
 
HTPC
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M9ACK EVGA Titan X Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Evo 840 1TB WD Black WD6401AALS WD Scorpio Blue WD3200BEVT Samsung SH-S223Q DVD-R/W 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Titan X block AlphaCool XT45 360 AlphaCool UT60 240 Swiftech MCP655-PWM 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK D5 x-res XSPC RayStorm Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 Series Waterblock Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 LT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 BenQ BL3200PT (32" 2560x1440) Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
NZXT Switch 810 Corsair M65 CIG Aegis Goliath Epson Home Cinema 8350 w/92" 16:9 screen 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.5GHz Gigabyte X99 Gaming G1 ASUS 660 Ti MSI 660 TI OC PE 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
G.Skill 32GB @ 2400 850 EVO 1TB WD 500GB Velociraptor Windows 10 
MonitorCaseAudioOther
4k TV Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Pioneer SC-81 Epson Home Cinema 8350 
  hide details  
Office rig
(24 items)
 
HTPC
(12 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.5GHz MSI Z170A Gaming M9ACK EVGA Titan X Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Samsung Evo 840 1TB WD Black WD6401AALS WD Scorpio Blue WD3200BEVT Samsung SH-S223Q DVD-R/W 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK Titan X block AlphaCool XT45 360 AlphaCool UT60 240 Swiftech MCP655-PWM 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
EK D5 x-res XSPC RayStorm Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 Series Waterblock Aquacomputer Aquaero 5 LT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 BenQ BL3200PT (32" 2560x1440) Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX860 
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
NZXT Switch 810 Corsair M65 CIG Aegis Goliath Epson Home Cinema 8350 w/92" 16:9 screen 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel Core i7 5820K @ 4.5GHz Gigabyte X99 Gaming G1 ASUS 660 Ti MSI 660 TI OC PE 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveOS
G.Skill 32GB @ 2400 850 EVO 1TB WD 500GB Velociraptor Windows 10 
MonitorCaseAudioOther
4k TV Cooler Master HAF XB EVO Pioneer SC-81 Epson Home Cinema 8350 
  hide details  
post #456 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

I think what everyone is really pissed at is that Nvidia could license G-Sync to AMD, and AMD cards could drive G-Sync - I literally can't see of a reason outside of business/money that would prevent it. Maybe after Nvidia earns a bit of R&D back they will offer it up.

Yes, that's the core reason people are pissed. And you know what? Nvidia knows that, and they made a conscious choice on it. During G-Sync's launch when asked about compatibility they literally said "We don't want to do our competitors' job for them." That's a direct quote.

And you know what? Based on how FreeSync is going, they were right. Sucks that AMD can't get it together, if you're an AMD user, but from Nvidia's perspective they've generated a significant competitive advantage and intend to ride it as long as they can.
post #457 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by caenlen View Post

g-sync wins, end of topic.

My ball and I am going home biggrin.gif
It's a computer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K - it can run at 5.0GH Asus Z170M-Plus Intel Z170 DDR4 Micro ATX - on... Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Core Edition... Kingston Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 256GB SSD 850 PRO + western digital blue LG CD/DVD WRITER Noctua NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler with... win10? back to win 7 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
LG 40UF770V 40 inch 4K Ultra HD  Seasonic P Series 760w '80 Plus Platinum' Modular  Silverstone Fortress FT03 Tower Case Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse 
  hide details  
It's a computer
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K - it can run at 5.0GH Asus Z170M-Plus Intel Z170 DDR4 Micro ATX - on... Zotac GeForce GTX 970 AMP! Extreme Core Edition... Kingston Fury Black 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 PC4-19200... 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 256GB SSD 850 PRO + western digital blue LG CD/DVD WRITER Noctua NH-U14S Ultra-Quiet Slim CPU Cooler with... win10? back to win 7 
MonitorPowerCaseMouse
LG 40UF770V 40 inch 4K Ultra HD  Seasonic P Series 760w '80 Plus Platinum' Modular  Silverstone Fortress FT03 Tower Case Logitech G602 Wireless Gaming Mouse 
  hide details  
post #458 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post

From the point of view of the graphics card, it shouldn't need to care how the monitor uses the information given to it. All the graphics card needs to do is tell the monitor what to do, and it uses a standard protocol in order to do so.

My point is, why are you so sure of this?
Because it would be stupid to design it a different way. You might as well be asking me why I'm so sure a car's crankshaft isn't built using the limbs of the deceased.
There's no reason the graphics card should be concerned with how the monitor operates internally.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6/4GHz Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 Asus HD7870 DirectCU II 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2400 G.Skill Trident-X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
5x4TB drives + 480GB M500 SSD LG blu-ray + HD-DVD reader Windows 7 x64 HP ZR30W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine Corsair AX850 Corsair 800D Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Teflon sheet 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X Asus Rampage V Extreme Asus GTX 980 Strix 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
480GB Crucial M500 1TB Crucial M550 128GB Plextor M5 Pro LG GGC-H20L blu-ray + HD-DVD reader 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-U14S + 2 x Phanteks 140mm fans Server 2012 R2 HP ZR30W Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX860 CaseLabs S8 Logitech G502 Teflon sheet 
Audio
Xonar D2X 
  hide details  
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6/4GHz Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 Asus HD7870 DirectCU II 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2400 G.Skill Trident-X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
5x4TB drives + 480GB M500 SSD LG blu-ray + HD-DVD reader Windows 7 x64 HP ZR30W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine Corsair AX850 Corsair 800D Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Teflon sheet 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X Asus Rampage V Extreme Asus GTX 980 Strix 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
480GB Crucial M500 1TB Crucial M550 128GB Plextor M5 Pro LG GGC-H20L blu-ray + HD-DVD reader 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-U14S + 2 x Phanteks 140mm fans Server 2012 R2 HP ZR30W Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX860 CaseLabs S8 Logitech G502 Teflon sheet 
Audio
Xonar D2X 
  hide details  
post #459 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post

Because it would be stupid to design it a different way. You might as well be asking me why I'm so sure a car's crankshaft isn't built using the limbs of the deceased.
There's no reason the graphics card should be concerned with how the monitor operates internally.

Except, I guess, for the reasons in the source for this thread, which if you don't deal with lead to ghosting?

Why are you so completely convinced that there's no reason? Especially when the reasons are staring you in the face? What benefit do you gain from denying it? I just don't understand.
post #460 of 708
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mand12 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apokalipse View Post

Because it would be stupid to design it a different way. You might as well be asking me why I'm so sure a car's crankshaft isn't built using the limbs of the deceased.
There's no reason the graphics card should be concerned with how the monitor operates internally.

Except, I guess, for the reasons in the source for this thread, which if you don't deal with lead to ghosting?
Ghosting has to do with the way the display controller handles overdrive. It's got nothing whatsoever to do with the protocol standards used to communicate with the monitor.
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6/4GHz Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 Asus HD7870 DirectCU II 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2400 G.Skill Trident-X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
5x4TB drives + 480GB M500 SSD LG blu-ray + HD-DVD reader Windows 7 x64 HP ZR30W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine Corsair AX850 Corsair 800D Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Teflon sheet 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X Asus Rampage V Extreme Asus GTX 980 Strix 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
480GB Crucial M500 1TB Crucial M550 128GB Plextor M5 Pro LG GGC-H20L blu-ray + HD-DVD reader 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-U14S + 2 x Phanteks 140mm fans Server 2012 R2 HP ZR30W Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX860 CaseLabs S8 Logitech G502 Teflon sheet 
Audio
Xonar D2X 
  hide details  
     
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Phenom II X6 1090T @ 3.6/4GHz Gigabyte 990FXA-UD7 Asus HD7870 DirectCU II 32GB (4x8GB) DDR3-2400 G.Skill Trident-X 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
5x4TB drives + 480GB M500 SSD LG blu-ray + HD-DVD reader Windows 7 x64 HP ZR30W 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine Corsair AX850 Corsair 800D Logitech G700 
Mouse Pad
Teflon sheet 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 5960X Asus Rampage V Extreme Asus GTX 980 Strix 32GB Crucial Ballistix Sport DDR4-2400 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
480GB Crucial M500 1TB Crucial M550 128GB Plextor M5 Pro LG GGC-H20L blu-ray + HD-DVD reader 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Noctua NH-U14S + 2 x Phanteks 140mm fans Server 2012 R2 HP ZR30W Corsair K70 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX860 CaseLabs S8 Logitech G502 Teflon sheet 
Audio
Xonar D2X 
  hide details  
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Hardware News
This thread is locked  
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Hardware News › [Forbes] Nvidia Explains Why Their G-Sync Display Tech Is Superior To AMD's FreeSync