Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › [Official] Samsung SM951 Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] Samsung SM951 Owners Club - Page 54

post #531 of 1390
I am aware of that but can't find any nvme drives except those made by Intel. I read though Liteon is coming out with a m.2 nvme drive soon.

Thanks
post #532 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm71 View Post

I am aware of that but can't find any nvme drives except those made by Intel. I read though Liteon is coming out with a m.2 nvme drive soon.

Thanks

 

The NVME version of the SM951 is extremely hard to find in stock unfortunately.

post #533 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingarm View Post

You will not see HD activity but it does have 2 pins on it to hook up your own LED which is what I did.

Is these a way to ne able to connect both the motherboard andò the Addonics card ti the only led bein presente on my case? Perhaps a splitter or something?
I wish to sede both SSD and SATA HDD activities.

As for the SM951 anyone van please reply andò share his experience/openion on performance andò stabilito d'Or the Nvme versione? I AM still interestrd in this device despite the fact that thete is not a Samsung Nmve driver: use what Windows OS provides (a generic one).

As for "being extremely hard to find in stock" I found that UK market has some handy.
Thanks
post #534 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by SAngeli View Post

Hi llantant,
thank you for posting those results. Very impressive!!!

I have an Asus Z97 Deluxe and wish to migrate from current Crucial M550 256GB to SM951 NVMe. I read some articles on the Internet from AnandTech and noticed those tests were made with my same mobo. I also have the Bios already updated (ver. 2303) which supports NVMe boot.

Currently I am runnning Windows 8.1 and the PC functions very well. I am waiting to purchase this new SSD to upgrade to Windows 10 (which I have all drivers available on Asus website).
I wish to ask if this SSD is quite stable and if I can purchase it without fearing that eventually it will perform bad or degrade its performance.

For Windows 10 what setting should I implement considering that this device does not have a proprietary driver for the NVMe techology?

In addition, what adapter should I purchase to host this M.2 SSD? Is "Lycom DT-120 PCIe 3.0 x4" ok? Any suggestion? Once I plug this adapter in my mobo will I see HD activity from the HD case, just like when I use a Sata disk?

Any vendor I can refer to that will sell and ship to Italy? So far, I did not find any. Most of them are based in UK.

Thank you in advance for your reply.

I am not experienced with your mb to give you decent help on that sorry. I have the maximus viii hero and it has an m2 slot built in.

The SSD seems fine to me. If I am truthfful I dont actually notice any general real world speed increase from my Samsung 840 pro's, but hey more SSD space is always good! biggrin.gif
Skylake!
(15 items)
 
 
Old School!
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.7ghz 1.37v (4.6 cache) ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Nvidia GTX 1080 FTW 16gb G Skill TridentZ 3600hz 16/16/16/36 @ 1.35v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SM951 256gb Nvme 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Raid 0 Western Digital Black 1.5tb HDD Storage Corsair H110 GTX 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Yamakasi Catleap Q251 1440p ips Corsair K70 EVGA Supernova 850 G2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Carbide 600Q Roccat Kone Pure Roccat Taito 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ph.II BE 1090T 3.75ghz BE (1.4v) 3000NB (1.325v) Asus M4A88TD-M Evo/USB3 GTX 470 G Skill Eco 1333mhz 5-6-5-18-23 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Crucial C300 128gb SSD, 2 x 640gb Storage (Raid) DVD-RW Win 7 Home Premium 800W 
Case
Coolermaster 310 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake!
(15 items)
 
 
Old School!
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.7ghz 1.37v (4.6 cache) ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Nvidia GTX 1080 FTW 16gb G Skill TridentZ 3600hz 16/16/16/36 @ 1.35v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SM951 256gb Nvme 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Raid 0 Western Digital Black 1.5tb HDD Storage Corsair H110 GTX 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Yamakasi Catleap Q251 1440p ips Corsair K70 EVGA Supernova 850 G2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Carbide 600Q Roccat Kone Pure Roccat Taito 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ph.II BE 1090T 3.75ghz BE (1.4v) 3000NB (1.325v) Asus M4A88TD-M Evo/USB3 GTX 470 G Skill Eco 1333mhz 5-6-5-18-23 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Crucial C300 128gb SSD, 2 x 640gb Storage (Raid) DVD-RW Win 7 Home Premium 800W 
Case
Coolermaster 310 
  hide details  
Reply
post #535 of 1390
Has samsung started selling the 512GB nvme versions (MZVPV512HDGL) in north america yet?

Which retailers carry them?
post #536 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftheaded View Post

Has samsung started selling the 512GB nvme versions (MZVPV512HDGL) in north america yet?

Which retailers carry them?

 

I'd wait and see what happens before getting a SM951 right now. Samsung should unveil new SSD products soon at their Global Summit and one for sure will be a M.2 format SSD with VNAND: http://www.pcper.com/news/Storage/Good-Morning-Night-Seoul-New-Samsung-SSDs-Are-Coming

 

Can't wait to see what they release. I wanted to get a SM951 too for my new build, but I might have to reconsider depending on what gets released now.

post #537 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by leftheaded View Post

Has samsung started selling the 512GB nvme versions (MZVPV512HDGL) in north america yet?

Which retailers carry them?

No, none that I've seen as it is considered a OEM drive. I had to order mine from the UK. Took about a week to get here.
post #538 of 1390
I have been having the same problems that have been reported by others in this post with the SM951 NVMe 512GB drive (in my case on a Maximus VIII Hero motherboard). First there's the FUA command issue which has to be rectified by checking the “Turn off write-cache buffer” option. More worryingly the drive seems fine immediately after start-up but speeds drop to 40-80 MB/s after a few minutes, and restarting does not fix the problem - only a full shut down does. The Intel drivers helped with the drop in speed but as reported by GTCrais the disk was not be visible to the BIOS when restarting unless after a full shut down. Tinkering with various BIOS and power options has made absolutely no difference to any of these issues.

However, I then invested in an M.2 to PCIE card (Lycom DT-120 PCIe 3.0 x4 - approx £12 from Scan) so that I could try moving the drive around. Putting it in the PCIE_X4_3 slot made no difference, which is not surprising given that this PCIE slot uses the same lanes as the M.2 slot. However, putting it in the PCIE_X8_2 slot rectified all but the FUA command issue. The drive runs at full speed with no slow down using both the Microsoft and the Intel NVMe drivers, and there's no issue with the drive not being recognised by the BIOS when using the Intel drivers. Both drivers seem to produce similar results on benchmarking (approximately 2700 using AS SSD). I've had it running for 2 days now and all seems well.

So it appears that connecting the drive using PCIE lanes that communicate directly with the processor allows the drive to function properly with both Microsoft and Intel drivers, whereas connecting it using PCIE lanes that communicate via the PCH causes the problems that I and many others have experienced.

Obviously there are down sides to moving the drive to the PCIE_X8_2 slot. It effectively means that an SLI setup is not possible, and even with a single graphics card in the PCIE_X16/X8_1 slot it drops to 8 lanes (although I suspect that's unlikely to be an issue for most graphics cards). It also wasn't possible to just move the drive - it required a re-format and Windows to be re-installed.

I'm not sure if this would work on other motherboards, but it certainly seems to on the Maximus VIII Hero I'm using. Hope this helps others with getting their drive working properly.

As a bit of an aside, I see that Asus has issued a further BIOS update for this motherboard recently (0902), although it is a beta version. I've tried updating to this version of the BIOS and reinstalled Windows with the drive back in the M.2 slot. Sadly it does not rectify any of the issues with the SM951 NVMe drive with either the Microsoft or Intel NVMe drivers, and actually caused my PC to fail the POST with the Ai Overclock Tuner set to XMP. This was never a problem with BIOS version 0802 so I've rolled it back.
post #539 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by LardyMan View Post

/snip

I was semi-tempted to invest in a PCIE card until you said you had to reinstall Windows. That's not going to happen until 1) I buy a new computer (which I just did) 2) the SSD dies. biggrin.gif

Thanks for the info, though.
post #540 of 1390
Quote:
Originally Posted by LardyMan View Post

I have been having the same problems that have been reported by others in this post with the SM951 NVMe 512GB drive (in my case on a Maximus VIII Hero motherboard). First there's the FUA command issue which has to be rectified by checking the “Turn off write-cache buffer” option. More worryingly the drive seems fine immediately after start-up but speeds drop to 40-80 MB/s after a few minutes, and restarting does not fix the problem - only a full shut down does. The Intel drivers helped with the drop in speed but as reported by GTCrais the disk was not be visible to the BIOS when restarting unless after a full shut down. Tinkering with various BIOS and power options has made absolutely no difference to any of these issues.

However, I then invested in an M.2 to PCIE card (Lycom DT-120 PCIe 3.0 x4 - approx £12 from Scan) so that I could try moving the drive around. Putting it in the PCIE_X4_3 slot made no difference, which is not surprising given that this PCIE slot uses the same lanes as the M.2 slot. However, putting it in the PCIE_X8_2 slot rectified all but the FUA command issue. The drive runs at full speed with no slow down using both the Microsoft and the Intel NVMe drivers, and there's no issue with the drive not being recognised by the BIOS when using the Intel drivers. Both drivers seem to produce similar results on benchmarking (approximately 2700 using AS SSD). I've had it running for 2 days now and all seems well.

So it appears that connecting the drive using PCIE lanes that communicate directly with the processor allows the drive to function properly with both Microsoft and Intel drivers, whereas connecting it using PCIE lanes that communicate via the PCH causes the problems that I and many others have experienced.

Obviously there are down sides to moving the drive to the PCIE_X8_2 slot. It effectively means that an SLI setup is not possible, and even with a single graphics card in the PCIE_X16/X8_1 slot it drops to 8 lanes (although I suspect that's unlikely to be an issue for most graphics cards). It also wasn't possible to just move the drive - it required a re-format and Windows to be re-installed.

I'm not sure if this would work on other motherboards, but it certainly seems to on the Maximus VIII Hero I'm using. Hope this helps others with getting their drive working properly.

As a bit of an aside, I see that Asus has issued a further BIOS update for this motherboard recently (0902), although it is a beta version. I've tried updating to this version of the BIOS and reinstalled Windows with the drive back in the M.2 slot. Sadly it does not rectify any of the issues with the SM951 NVMe drive with either the Microsoft or Intel NVMe drivers, and actually caused my PC to fail the POST with the Ai Overclock Tuner set to XMP. This was never a problem with BIOS version 0802 so I've rolled it back.

I have the same board as you and running 902 BIOS and have no issues outside of that FUA command one. I had to Check the write caching box. I am using the M2 slot, Windows 10 and the Microsoft drivers.
Skylake!
(15 items)
 
 
Old School!
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.7ghz 1.37v (4.6 cache) ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Nvidia GTX 1080 FTW 16gb G Skill TridentZ 3600hz 16/16/16/36 @ 1.35v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SM951 256gb Nvme 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Raid 0 Western Digital Black 1.5tb HDD Storage Corsair H110 GTX 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Yamakasi Catleap Q251 1440p ips Corsair K70 EVGA Supernova 850 G2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Carbide 600Q Roccat Kone Pure Roccat Taito 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ph.II BE 1090T 3.75ghz BE (1.4v) 3000NB (1.325v) Asus M4A88TD-M Evo/USB3 GTX 470 G Skill Eco 1333mhz 5-6-5-18-23 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Crucial C300 128gb SSD, 2 x 640gb Storage (Raid) DVD-RW Win 7 Home Premium 800W 
Case
Coolermaster 310 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake!
(15 items)
 
 
Old School!
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 6700k 4.7ghz 1.37v (4.6 cache) ASUS Maximus VIII Hero Nvidia GTX 1080 FTW 16gb G Skill TridentZ 3600hz 16/16/16/36 @ 1.35v 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
SM951 256gb Nvme 2 x Samsung 840 Pro 256gb Raid 0 Western Digital Black 1.5tb HDD Storage Corsair H110 GTX 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 10 Yamakasi Catleap Q251 1440p ips Corsair K70 EVGA Supernova 850 G2 
CaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair Carbide 600Q Roccat Kone Pure Roccat Taito 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Ph.II BE 1090T 3.75ghz BE (1.4v) 3000NB (1.325v) Asus M4A88TD-M Evo/USB3 GTX 470 G Skill Eco 1333mhz 5-6-5-18-23 1T 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSPower
Crucial C300 128gb SSD, 2 x 640gb Storage (Raid) DVD-RW Win 7 Home Premium 800W 
Case
Coolermaster 310 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › [Official] Samsung SM951 Owners Club