Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [TorrentFreak] Google Fiber sends automated piracy 'fines' to Subscribers
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[TorrentFreak] Google Fiber sends automated piracy 'fines' to Subscribers - Page 8

post #71 of 105
So now we know one of the reasons google is entering the ISP market, their most likely getting a % of every fine. its like how the android OS went from being open and free for everyone to use and develop, to basically being another system to deliver ads as they have much more control of advertising in android then in the general web. and small developers are now getting screwed over for tons of crazy reasons. if any small dev makes an app with the word "play" in the tittle, automatic suspension, if someone like EA or Ubisoft does the same thing, all good with google.

Google is just another company, most people like them because most of their services are "free" to the user, because advertisers are paying Google for it. all google cares about at the end of the day is $$$$ like any other company.people should not be surprised by this.
i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770k Sabertooth Z77 MSI 290X lightning 24gb ddr 1866 8-8-8-24 Crucial Ballistix elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Intel 330 SSD WD black caviar 500gb Seagate barrcuda Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
46inch Samsung lcd Razer lycosa Antec Truepower quattro 1000 NZXT Phantom (White) 
MouseAudio
Razer deathadder Samsung 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
i7
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
I7 3770k Sabertooth Z77 MSI 290X lightning 24gb ddr 1866 8-8-8-24 Crucial Ballistix elite 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOS
Intel 330 SSD WD black caviar 500gb Seagate barrcuda Windows 7 64bit 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
46inch Samsung lcd Razer lycosa Antec Truepower quattro 1000 NZXT Phantom (White) 
MouseAudio
Razer deathadder Samsung 5.1 surround sound. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #72 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadboy90 View Post



Thats noble postal, but naive. I wish it was as you say but the ISP's have all the power, political connections, and money to do whatever they like. They can and will track your data if they feel like it and frankly i have given up and accepted that fact if i want to be able to watch youtube.

Except we don't have the power, and in fact that has been made fairly clear. If I just start eavesdropping your data I can get in serious trouble. When did people start thinking users have no right to privacy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by revro View Post

you and your imaginary property are so cute tongue.gif

my post is easier to explain to a stupid judge than yours. yours works only by bribery thus all copyright is illegal as its a result of bribing public officials

also the entire ip adress colection is bogus beyond belief. basically they are too lazy to do it correctly so techniques they employ for ip adresses collection are not usable as has been proven multiple times in court and as other people here have confirmed, who apparently are getting strikes for content they never downloaded

in eu there was this single market initiative for entire eu countries. suddenly content industry cried out since they would lose 30-40% of money that exists because of multiple markets in europe, so whores of babylon / eu parliament have taken video and audio out of the regulation. i assume that once french activision and ubisoft start crying as well, this regulation would not cover 99% of what goes under digital market content.

funny thing up until this year we payed a tax on electronics to "make whole" content producers and their association. well electronics sellers sued and won, so this is no longer possible and content sharing is now illegal. if only the countries themselves were not corrupt as F, and passed laws that basically make people pay these fees to associations, not because of content that is stolen, but because of their own content.

yes, apparently in past we payed fees to content associations for content that was stolen in general, now we are paying for content we ourself produce. basically they made everyone a content creator, even if he wants to burn photos of his cat on a cd, thus he has to pay cents on the cds price to our local version of riaa and mpaa. you cant make this stuff up

Unfortunately for those of us stuck in the broken system they (senders of notice) don't actually rely on it getting to court. They send enough of them that the people who ignore them that are the occasional offender are let be, and forgotten. Enough people do respond and send in a "Settlement" check for $40 or whatever that they make money.

We as a company only contact customers when we get an official legal notice serviced to us - those we have to respond to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaid View Post

So now we know one of the reasons google is entering the ISP market, their most likely getting a % of every fine. its like how the android OS went from being open and free for everyone to use and develop, to basically being another system to deliver ads as they have much more control of advertising in android then in the general web. and small developers are now getting screwed over for tons of crazy reasons. if any small dev makes an app with the word "play" in the tittle, automatic suspension, if someone like EA or Ubisoft does the same thing, all good with google.

Google is just another company, most people like them because most of their services are "free" to the user, because advertisers are paying Google for it. all google cares about at the end of the day is $$$$ like any other company.people should not be surprised by this.

Please read and understand what is happening.

Google isn't sending the notice.
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
    
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5820K AsRock Extreme6 X99 Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti Windforce OC 16 GB Corsair Vengeance LPX 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 840 EVO 250GB - HDD Speed Edtition Samsung SM951 512 GB - I still hate Samsung!  Noctua NHD14 Windows 10 
MonitorMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Achieva Shimian QH270-Lite Overlord Computer Tempest X27OC  Acer Predator XB270HU Filco Majestouch 2 Ninja 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Seasonic X-1250 Fractal Design R5 Razer Naga Razer Goliathus Alpha 
AudioAudio
AKG K702 65th Anniversary Edition Creative Sound Blaster Zx 
  hide details  
Reply
post #73 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by PostalTwinkie View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deadboy90 View Post



Thats noble postal, but naive. I wish it was as you say but the ISP's have all the power, political connections, and money to do whatever they like. They can and will track your data if they feel like it and frankly i have given up and accepted that fact if i want to be able to watch youtube.

Except we don't have the power, and in fact that has been made fairly clear. If I just start eavesdropping your data I can get in serious trouble. When did people start thinking users have no right to privacy?
Quote:
Originally Posted by revro View Post

you and your imaginary property are so cute tongue.gif

my post is easier to explain to a stupid judge than yours. yours works only by bribery thus all copyright is illegal as its a result of bribing public officials

also the entire ip adress colection is bogus beyond belief. basically they are too lazy to do it correctly so techniques they employ for ip adresses collection are not usable as has been proven multiple times in court and as other people here have confirmed, who apparently are getting strikes for content they never downloaded

in eu there was this single market initiative for entire eu countries. suddenly content industry cried out since they would lose 30-40% of money that exists because of multiple markets in europe, so whores of babylon / eu parliament have taken video and audio out of the regulation. i assume that once french activision and ubisoft start crying as well, this regulation would not cover 99% of what goes under digital market content.

funny thing up until this year we payed a tax on electronics to "make whole" content producers and their association. well electronics sellers sued and won, so this is no longer possible and content sharing is now illegal. if only the countries themselves were not corrupt as F, and passed laws that basically make people pay these fees to associations, not because of content that is stolen, but because of their own content.

yes, apparently in past we payed fees to content associations for content that was stolen in general, now we are paying for content we ourself produce. basically they made everyone a content creator, even if he wants to burn photos of his cat on a cd, thus he has to pay cents on the cds price to our local version of riaa and mpaa. you cant make this stuff up

Unfortunately for those of us stuck in the broken system they (senders of notice) don't actually rely on it getting to court. They send enough of them that the people who ignore them that are the occasional offender are let be, and forgotten. Enough people do respond and send in a "Settlement" check for $40 or whatever that they make money.

We as a company only contact customers when we get an official legal notice serviced to us - those we have to respond to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zaid View Post

So now we know one of the reasons google is entering the ISP market, their most likely getting a % of every fine. its like how the android OS went from being open and free for everyone to use and develop, to basically being another system to deliver ads as they have much more control of advertising in android then in the general web. and small developers are now getting screwed over for tons of crazy reasons. if any small dev makes an app with the word "play" in the tittle, automatic suspension, if someone like EA or Ubisoft does the same thing, all good with google.

Google is just another company, most people like them because most of their services are "free" to the user, because advertisers are paying Google for it. all google cares about at the end of the day is $$$$ like any other company.people should not be surprised by this.

Please read and understand what is happening.

Google isn't sending the notice.

You can thank journalists for making people working for ISPs look bad. They think that most organization don't have fraud prevention measures and severe penalties for breaching privacy & even imprisonment. When people do breach privacy, you will be subjected to harsh penalties I know this because I work in the area of customer service myself so I know how important it is to protect privacy. Some secret service however do bring in devices that they attach to their ISP to see what people are doing though.
post #74 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

...Incorrect.

In this case, per this discussion, you are illegally downloading content that was at no time, actually free.

You are circumventing the authority in order to "send a message".

Therefor, your possession of that content, is still illegal because it was illegally obtained.

Per your example, it would actually be akin to you going to an ACDC concert, their merchandising person walked away so you TOOK the album and were later caught with it.

I think a better anology would be leaving out CD's in the open, walking away in hopes that someone would steal them. This could be considered Entrapment....

SO the question would be.... Does MPAA/RIAA associated systems have permission to distribute this content? If they have permission, then they in turn are giving you a copy. The illegal part, is if they download it from you, for which you dont have that right.
Zev's Comp
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDM... GeForce GTX 750 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DrivePower
1TB HDD 64GB SSD (Used for SRT) 500 GB. Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V... 
Case
COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black S... 
  hide details  
Reply
Zev's Comp
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDM... GeForce GTX 750 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DrivePower
1TB HDD 64GB SSD (Used for SRT) 500 GB. Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V... 
Case
COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black S... 
  hide details  
Reply
post #75 of 105
This is astonishing...
If I owned a hotel, and I KNEW people in room 245 were growing pot... I would go ahead and let them know "Hey, bro, not cool. That is illegal."
Then the police come and tell ME "Hey, your hotel is growing pot. We have seen people buy here..." You are saying that I am the BAD GUY because I will go to them and let them know that they are responsible for the fines?

This is not an intrusion of privacy, it is simply them forwarding a piece of mail. Ignore and live on. Way to many people arguing "Mah freedom!" without putting any actual analysis into the topic. The moment they see piracy, they jump to the defense. I don't care if you pirate, but you have to face the fact that it is illegal. Don't get angry because Google is telling you that there is a fine in your name. (once again, ignore it...)
post #76 of 105
ok everyone.

an ip address is not a person
an ip address is not a person
an ip address is not a person
shove it up your rear!

if you sing it like we wish you a merry christmas it becomes very festive.
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
Sons Rig
(11 items)
 
File Server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 4790K ASUS Z97-WS Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16 Gb's Mushkin DDR3 @ 1600 MHz Crucial M500 SSD 240gb Coolit ECO C240 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS PB287Q 4K Monitor HTC Vive Coolermaster Silent Pro M 1000W Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Steelseries Qck Mass Super Thick Cloth Mouse Pad Genius SW-G2.1 1250 4PC Gaming Speakers 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3770k Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16 Gb's G.Skill DDR3 1866 Crucial M500 SSD 240Gb Coolit ECO C240 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Benq G2420HD Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000 Watt Deepcool Kendomen 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i3 2120 Supermicro X9SCM-F 4 Gb Kingston 1600mhz DDR3 ECC 12 Segate 2tb drives (RAID 6) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
ADATA SP600 SSD 24 Toshiba DT01ACA200 drives (2 RAID 6's) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. OCZ ZT750 Supermicro PWS-665-PQ 
CaseOtherOtherOther
Norco 4020 and Norco 4224 LSI 9260-4i Raid Card Intel RES2SV240 20 port Expander. HP SAS 24 por... Voltaire 410Ex Hca Infiniband HBA 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(15 items)
 
Sons Rig
(11 items)
 
File Server
(13 items)
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 4790K ASUS Z97-WS Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 Gigabyte GeForce GTX 980 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16 Gb's Mushkin DDR3 @ 1600 MHz Crucial M500 SSD 240gb Coolit ECO C240 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorMonitorPowerCase
ASUS PB287Q 4K Monitor HTC Vive Coolermaster Silent Pro M 1000W Rosewill Blackhawk Ultra 
MouseMouse PadAudio
Razer Deathadder 2013 Steelseries Qck Mass Super Thick Cloth Mouse Pad Genius SW-G2.1 1250 4PC Gaming Speakers 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Core i7 3770k Asus P8Z68 Deluxe Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 Galaxy Geforce GTX 780 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
16 Gb's G.Skill DDR3 1866 Crucial M500 SSD 240Gb Coolit ECO C240 Windows 7 Ultimate 
MonitorPowerCase
Benq G2420HD Coolermaster Silent Pro 1000 Watt Deepcool Kendomen 
CPUMotherboardRAMHard Drive
Core i3 2120 Supermicro X9SCM-F 4 Gb Kingston 1600mhz DDR3 ECC 12 Segate 2tb drives (RAID 6) 
Hard DriveHard DriveOSPower
ADATA SP600 SSD 24 Toshiba DT01ACA200 drives (2 RAID 6's) Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit. OCZ ZT750 Supermicro PWS-665-PQ 
CaseOtherOtherOther
Norco 4020 and Norco 4224 LSI 9260-4i Raid Card Intel RES2SV240 20 port Expander. HP SAS 24 por... Voltaire 410Ex Hca Infiniband HBA 
  hide details  
Reply
post #77 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by beers View Post

Sounds like you could use a refresher in economics as well as copyright law. You don't seem to have a grasp of how licensed content works.

I'm sure you'll instead just give OCN the same crap attitude you've been spewing since you've come back though.

I never left.

Again, per this subject, I am intimately familiar with the situation - Don't need the refresher on economics as very recently proven, also don't need a refresher on COPYRIGHTS...What you need, however, is a refresher in LICENSING and how YOU nor your HOST, are LICENSED to distribute and/or recieve and/or download and/or forward said content...

Know when you buy a movie and that big wall of text pops up? Yeah - That specifically prohibits you from doing the above and there's legal precedent that states by running the media past that point, you are thereby accepting of the terms - Thus, if you pirated, it's now illegal.

An argument COULD be made that if you horded said content and distributed, you're not in full violation of the law but, since we know you're going to watch it anyway, as is everyone you distribute to...It's moot.

All of that being said, again, this entire thread was created under false pretenses.

Google, does NOT, email these notices. Never. Ever. Not once.

Google, MAILS you a letter from their legal department WHEN/IF there is a problem.

THIS was a phishing scam that neither the source NOR the individual picked up on because they were all "too stupid" to actually vet the source email which, AGAIN, was not from Google Fiber because Google Fiber is a subsidiary of Google and any infringement would come DIRECTLY FROM GOOGLE.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrzev View Post

I think a better anology would be leaving out CD's in the open, walking away in hopes that someone would steal them. This could be considered Entrapment....

SO the question would be.... Does MPAA/RIAA associated systems have permission to distribute this content? If they have permission, then they in turn are giving you a copy. The illegal part, is if they download it from you, for which you dont have that right.

No, it can't be and precedent states that it is not.

If you're dumb enough to download it, you're smart enough deal with the consequences.
post #78 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrzev View Post

I think a better anology would be leaving out CD's in the open, walking away in hopes that someone would steal them. This could be considered Entrapment....

SO the question would be.... Does MPAA/RIAA associated systems have permission to distribute this content? If they have permission, then they in turn are giving you a copy. The illegal part, is if they download it from you, for which you dont have that right.

Entrapment is a legal defense that can be used against the police/government agencies. It doesn't apply to private companies.
post #79 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bridden View Post

This is astonishing...
If I owned a hotel, and I KNEW people in room 245 were growing pot... I would go ahead and let them know "Hey, bro, not cool. That is illegal."
Then the police come and tell ME "Hey, your hotel is growing pot. We have seen people buy here..." You are saying that I am the BAD GUY because I will go to them and let them know that they are responsible for the fines?

This is not an intrusion of privacy, it is simply them forwarding a piece of mail. Ignore and live on. Way to many people arguing "Mah freedom!" without putting any actual analysis into the topic. The moment they see piracy, they jump to the defense. I don't care if you pirate, but you have to face the fact that it is illegal. Don't get angry because Google is telling you that there is a fine in your name. (once again, ignore it...)

Let's run with your hotel analogy for a second here.

When police suspect someone in room 245 are growing pot, do they come to the hotel and say "Someone in your hotel is growing pot, either tell us who it is or we will arrest you and charge YOU with growing pot!" ???

No, the police go and arrest THE PERSON GROWING THE POT, not the owners of the hotel.


So yeah, RIAA and MPAA should do the same and go after the people who are ACTUALLY breaking the law and stealing files, NOT the ISP.

Oh, and guess what, the US Supreme Court has pretty much ruled on the side of ISPs in junk like this, and don't hold ISP's responsible for the actions of their customers.

See: Cubby, Inc. v. CompuServe Inc.
post #80 of 105
Quote:
Originally Posted by ahnon View Post

Entrapment is a legal defense that can be used against the police/government agencies. It doesn't apply to private companies.

Yeah, entrapment is the wrong term. But you could make the argument that were an Accomplice, or at least be considered an Accessory. If the rights-holders are actually seeding the content, what justification are they going to give supporting their action? The torrent P2P system is designed for everyone to distribute everything, so unless you reconfigure it to prevent uploads, it is expected that you would distribute. If they wanted to allow the user to only download the stuff from them, they would just setup an FTP site or something. By them providing the content via torrents, they are actively promoting the use of the system because they are now actually supporting the system itself.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Masked View Post

No, it can't be and precedent states that it is not.

If you're dumb enough to download it, you're smart enough deal with the consequences.

Can you site me with a legal court case where the defendant had downloaded a file from the rights-holder? I also thought that all of these cases were on the grounds that the defendant distributing(seeding) the content. Its easy for Hollywood to say, we never gave you the rights to give this to anyone, but hard for them to say, you don't have the rights to have this. They bust down your door saying you illegally downloaded our movie!!!!! .... but you could easily say, I actually own a copy, I accidentally left it at a friends place and then just tell another friend to buy a copy and leave it in your friends backyard. You have the right to have backups. When it is something that cant be legally obtained, i.e. an unreleased DVD or CD, then they could easily point that out. The main issue, and always the issue, is while you were downloading it, you allowed people to download a portion from you.

Funny enough, buying bootleg DVD's is legal (I cant remember if this is true when you know beforehand that it was a bootleg). The person selling them has done something illegal. I remember spending a couple days on this in one of my legal classes, please let me know if im wrong. I don't think it's a state or county thing.



Back to the main Topic... The title is very misleading. "Google Fiber is forwarding piracy complaints to Subscribers", would be appropriate. It's technically not wrong, but it is twisting the message. I really hate sites that do stuff like this. It gives these company a bad image because people dont read past the headlines. Just stupid clickbait stuff.... at least in this case, the content is relevant.
Zev's Comp
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDM... GeForce GTX 750 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DrivePower
1TB HDD 64GB SSD (Used for SRT) 500 GB. Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V... 
Case
COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black S... 
  hide details  
Reply
Zev's Comp
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-2500K Sandy Bridge 3.3GHz GIGABYTE GA-Z68X-UD3H-B3 LGA 1155 Intel Z68 HDM... GeForce GTX 750 Ti G.SKILL Ripjaws X Series 8GB 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DrivePower
1TB HDD 64GB SSD (Used for SRT) 500 GB. Antec BP550 Plus 550W Continuous Power ATX12V V... 
Case
COOLER MASTER ELITE 335 RC-335-KKN1-GP Black S... 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Software News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Software News › [TorrentFreak] Google Fiber sends automated piracy 'fines' to Subscribers