Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Eurogamer] CD Projekt tackles The Witcher 3 downgrade issue head on
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Eurogamer] CD Projekt tackles The Witcher 3 downgrade issue head on - Page 11

post #101 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzer View Post

GTA V console sold 12million in 24 hours, PC 2million in 1 month.
Thats the whole thing.

Thays why AAA games need consoles for the big sales and PC for leftover profit, thats the whole point.

If there werent console sales they would not make the game for left over profit or with a very cut down budget but then games would be worse than a tuned down console port.

No one makes games out of goodness of their heart you are right, thats exactly why they say the game would not even be there in this state without consoles.

GTA V is a 2 year old game that everyone has already played, if you're going to use an example like that use a game people were actually purchasing for the first time. 12 million on consoles for a fresh release and 2 million sales on PC for a port probably earned them the same net profit anyways.

People always overlook the fact that consoles are much less profitable per unit than PC sales, and in this case you're talking about the consoles having to pay for the development of the game while PC had to pay for 3 guys' wages for a few months when R* finally decided they had time to port the game and console sales were dead in the water.
My Mangled Mess
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930k Asrock X99 OC MSI R9 290x Lightning Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 Custom loop Windows 7 64-bit TBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional S series Seasonic SS-1250XM NZXT H630 Saitek Cyborg M.M.O. 7 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer Invicta Asus Essence STX II 7.1 w/daughterboard Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick CH Pro Flight Throttle (soon) 
Other
Saitek Pro Flight Pedals 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.7 stable Gigabyte Z68ap-d3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 @1250/1750 8gb Samsung low profile green series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500gb, WD caviar blue OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD 24x dvdrw XSPC RASA RX360 kit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 23" Acer Rosewill RK9000 w/MX cherry black switches PC Power and cooling 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Razer Scarab  Asus Xonar D1 
AudioAudio
Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Sy... Sony STRDH520 7.1 AV Receiver. 
  hide details  
Reply
My Mangled Mess
(17 items)
 
   
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7 5930k Asrock X99 OC MSI R9 290x Lightning Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
OCZ Vertex 4 Custom loop Windows 7 64-bit TBD 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Das Professional S series Seasonic SS-1250XM NZXT H630 Saitek Cyborg M.M.O. 7 
Mouse PadAudioOtherOther
Razer Invicta Asus Essence STX II 7.1 w/daughterboard Thrustmaster Warthog Joystick CH Pro Flight Throttle (soon) 
Other
Saitek Pro Flight Pedals 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i5 2500k @4.7 stable Gigabyte Z68ap-d3 Sapphire Radeon HD 7970 @1250/1750 8gb Samsung low profile green series 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
500gb, WD caviar blue OCZ Vertex 4 128gb SSD 24x dvdrw XSPC RASA RX360 kit 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Windows 7 23" Acer Rosewill RK9000 w/MX cherry black switches PC Power and cooling 950w 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
NZXT Switch 810 Cyborg M.M.O. 7 Razer Scarab  Asus Xonar D1 
AudioAudio
Energy Take Classic 5.1 Home Theater Speaker Sy... Sony STRDH520 7.1 AV Receiver. 
  hide details  
Reply
post #102 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzer View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowHardCanItBe View Post

Uhh...you know that gta 5 was the 4th most played game on PC right for the month of may? It beat dota 2. Hell it's sold over 2million copies in under a month. That's crazy. Given how many times the game was delayed.

http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertcoin/2015/05/01/surprise-gta-5-is-also-a-massive-hit-on-pc/

Developers don't make games out of the goodness of their heart. If a game wouldn't be profitable on a certain platform, they wouldn't continue to release it on that platform. These are all about risks and a lot of

GTA V console sold 12million in 24 hours, PC 2million in 1 month.
Thats the whole thing.

Thays why AAA games need consoles for the big sales and PC for leftover profit, thats the whole point.

If there werent console sales they would not make the game for left over profit or with a very cut down budget but then games would be worse than a tuned down console port.

No one makes games out of goodness of their heart you are right, thats exactly why they say the game would not even be there in this state without consoles.

That's because an insane amount of money was poured towards marketing the game on consoles. It also came out on consoles FIRST and PC last... 2.5 years later and still managed to sell well. It's also 2 million on a platform that got next to no promotion and advertising. That is pretty impressive if you ask me.

PC is an independent platform that doesn't have many big players like microsoft or sony with a lot of money to get the message out there. All we have is alienware which is frowned upon here. It relies on the community to spread the word which is exactly how the witcher series became so popular.
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikei View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowHardCanItBe View Post

Yup and that would explain that shoddy performance on high end rigs, but it seems that the least amount of effort was put towards the PC and more towards the console version. What I don't get is why they so many can't see this?

Another large aspect of the game (optimization). Graphics aside, its just another half finish game rushed out to be heavily patched later. Trying to keep an up mind concerning gameplay and stability, I decided to watch a stream of the game on twitch. This was last night. 2 hour stream and the game crashed every 15 minutes. Selling out to consoles (ok, fine). Releasing an unfinished port, not so much.

From the very start I got the feeling that the console was their main target and they were just here to take your money. Did you buy the game or have it pre-ordered?
post #103 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by HowHardCanItBe View Post

That's because the an insane amount of money was poured towards marketing the game on consoles. It also came out on consoles FIRST and PC last... 3 years later and still managed to sell well. It's also 2 million on a platform that got next to no promotion and advertising. That is pretty impressive if you ask me.

PC is an independent platform that doesn't have many big players like microsoft or sony with a lot of money to get the message out there. All we have is alienware which is frowned upon here. It relies on the community to spread the word which is exactly how the witcher series became so popular.
From the very start I got the feeling that the console was their main target and they were just here to take your money. Did you buy the game or have it pre-ordered?

I was close to pre ordering a while back, but got burned from EA/DICE earlier, so i never pre order now. Good decision. This game does have its good parts, but i would rather not play it now with the current not so small issues.
3770K
(14 items)
 
R7 1700
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RYZEN 1700 ASROCK AB350 GAMING K4 ZOTAC 1080TI REFERENCE MODEL G SKILL 8 GIG (2X) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WESTERN DIGITAL 250 M.2 2280 WINDOWS 10 64 CORSAIR SF600 LIAN LI PC-O10 
  hide details  
Reply
3770K
(14 items)
 
R7 1700
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RYZEN 1700 ASROCK AB350 GAMING K4 ZOTAC 1080TI REFERENCE MODEL G SKILL 8 GIG (2X) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WESTERN DIGITAL 250 M.2 2280 WINDOWS 10 64 CORSAIR SF600 LIAN LI PC-O10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #104 of 258
Why not just release it without down grade?

The whole point of pc is changing the settings, stop changing pc into consoles whom every has the specs capable then so be it.
Turcoman Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6800K Rampage V ED10 EVGA FE GTX 1080 Corsair 3000 c15 32gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Blue Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 Samsung 830 128 Sony Blu Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair h110 8+7+XP BenQ Xl2420T razer blackwidow ultimate stealth 2013 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200W Corsair 900D Razer Mamba elite 2012 steelseries QcK+ heavy 
AudioOther
2.1 Speakers Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Kit 
  hide details  
Reply
Turcoman Rig
(18 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6800K Rampage V ED10 EVGA FE GTX 1080 Corsair 3000 c15 32gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveOptical Drive
Western Digital Blue Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 Samsung 830 128 Sony Blu Ray 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
Corsair h110 8+7+XP BenQ Xl2420T razer blackwidow ultimate stealth 2013 
PowerCaseMouseMouse Pad
Corsair AX1200W Corsair 900D Razer Mamba elite 2012 steelseries QcK+ heavy 
AudioOther
2.1 Speakers Nvidia 3D Vision 2 Kit 
  hide details  
Reply
post #105 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by keikei View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowHardCanItBe View Post

That's because the an insane amount of money was poured towards marketing the game on consoles. It also came out on consoles FIRST and PC last... 3 years later and still managed to sell well. It's also 2 million on a platform that got next to no promotion and advertising. That is pretty impressive if you ask me.

PC is an independent platform that doesn't have many big players like microsoft or sony with a lot of money to get the message out there. All we have is alienware which is frowned upon here. It relies on the community to spread the word which is exactly how the witcher series became so popular.
From the very start I got the feeling that the console was their main target and they were just here to take your money. Did you buy the game or have it pre-ordered?

I was close to pre ordering a while back, but got burned from EA/DICE earlier, so i never pre order now. Good decision. This game does have its good parts, but i would rather not play it now with the current not so small issues.

Preordering games should never be done these days. It's way too damn risky. I feel sorry for those who fall for the preordering scam. Preordering especially in a digital world, should never be done because it's harder to get your money back because of the lack of consumer protection.

That's why I have the patience to wait for a few people to play a review copy to judge it for myself. Of course, it's hard to judge it fully without playing the game, but at least forums/vlogs/ and gameplay footages will give you more confidence on your decisions.
post #106 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MerkageTurk View Post

Why not just release it without down grade?

The whole point of pc is changing the settings, stop changing pc into consoles whom every has the specs capable then so be it.

That was my initial thought, but it would affect console sales. A stunning TW3 PC version would destroy xbone sales. CDPR/M$ gets less money. M$ pays CDPR to not make a true PC version. It all makes sense.
3770K
(14 items)
 
R7 1700
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RYZEN 1700 ASROCK AB350 GAMING K4 ZOTAC 1080TI REFERENCE MODEL G SKILL 8 GIG (2X) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WESTERN DIGITAL 250 M.2 2280 WINDOWS 10 64 CORSAIR SF600 LIAN LI PC-O10 
  hide details  
Reply
3770K
(14 items)
 
R7 1700
(8 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
RYZEN 1700 ASROCK AB350 GAMING K4 ZOTAC 1080TI REFERENCE MODEL G SKILL 8 GIG (2X) 
Hard DriveOSPowerCase
WESTERN DIGITAL 250 M.2 2280 WINDOWS 10 64 CORSAIR SF600 LIAN LI PC-O10 
  hide details  
Reply
post #107 of 258
witcher 3 is currently updating with 640mb's of something but here's the kicker. according to marcin momot on the official forums the 600 fixes patch was the day 1 patch. Somebody needs to work on what means what over at CDPR

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/601345976335491072


patch notes:

Changelog:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Patch 1.03 changelog:

Improves stability in gameplay and the UI
Improves performance especially in cutscenes and gameplay
Fixes grass and foiliage popping that can occur after density parameters change
Improves Nvidia Hairworks performance
Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset
Sharpen Postprocess settings extended from Off/On to Off/Normal/High
Improves menu handling
Improves input responsiveness when using keyboard
Corrects an issue with stamina regeneration while sprinting
Fixes a cursor lock issue that sometimes occcurs when scrolling the map
Generally improves world map focus
Corrects a bug where player was able to fire bolts at friendly NPCs
Corrects an issue in dialog selections
Corrects some missing translations in the UI
Minor SFX improvements
Blood particles will now properly appear after killing enemies on the water
Rostan Muggs is back

http://thewitcher.com/news/view/1038


edit: servers must be getting hammered. update has failed twice. when it is going it's at .1 Mb/s and forums are up down.
Edited by majin662 - 5/21/15 at 5:48am
post #108 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by jezzer View Post

"If the consoles are not involved there is no Witcher 3 as it is"

Cold hard truth.

People forget that CD Project RED is a MEDIUM-sized company. They are hiring right now. Creating Witcher 3 for them was very very difficult I bet. This isn't Ubisoft or Bethesda or any other big company. They need console sales to get some money for it. The number of people who will pirate Witcher 3 will be / is astounding! It is the cold hard truth, although I did hoped for a completely different color theme, a darker one, like in the earliest of trailers.
post #109 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by majin662 View Post

witcher 3 is currently updating with 640mb's of something but here's the kicker. according to marcin momot on the official forums the 600 fixes patch was the day 1 patch. Somebody needs to work on what means what over at CDPR

https://twitter.com/Marcin360/status/601345976335491072


patch notes:

Changelog:
The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt - Patch 1.03 changelog:

Improves stability in gameplay and the UI
Improves performance especially in cutscenes and gameplay
Fixes grass and foiliage popping that can occur after density parameters change
Improves Nvidia Hairworks performance
Boosted texture anisotropy sampling to 16x on Ultra preset
Sharpen Postprocess settings extended from Off/On to Off/Normal/High
Improves menu handling
Improves input responsiveness when using keyboard
Corrects an issue with stamina regeneration while sprinting
Fixes a cursor lock issue that sometimes occcurs when scrolling the map
Generally improves world map focus
Corrects a bug where player was able to fire bolts at friendly NPCs
Corrects an issue in dialog selections
Corrects some missing translations in the UI
Minor SFX improvements
Blood particles will now properly appear after killing enemies on the water
Rostan Muggs is back

http://thewitcher.com/news/view/1038


edit: servers must be getting hammered. update has failed twice. when it is going it's at .1 Mb/s and forums are up down.

Yeah, same here. I hate it when whoever managers servers does not prepare for such heavy downloads. You can download the patch EXTERNALLY though.
post #110 of 258
Quote:
Originally Posted by MonarchX View Post

although I did hoped for a completely different color theme, a darker one, like in the earliest of trailers.

Me too, but I expect this will be able to be accomplished by mods. Should just require some color grading adjustments. The sweetFX "fix" doesn't appeal to me because it crushes blacks too badly, but a true mod ought to be able to avoid that issue.
Glorious 4K
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930k @ 4.625 GHz ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti @ 1950/12200 Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-2666 C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 240GB Seagate 600 Pro 240 GB WD Black 4TB Corsair H110 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Noctua NF-A14 x2 Corsair SP140 x2 Corsair AF120 x1 Corsair SP120 x4 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EVGA Titan X Hybrid AIO Windows 10 Professional x64 Sharp Aquos 4K LC-60UD27U Logitech K520 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200 Corsair Obsidian 450D Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700 Sound Blaster Z Sound Card 
AudioAudioOther
Logitech Z906 Speakers Razer Chimaera 5.1 Headphones Sunbeam Rheosmart 6 fan controller 
  hide details  
Reply
Glorious 4K
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930k @ 4.625 GHz ASUS X99-A USB 3.1 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti @ 1950/12200 Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB DDR4-2666 C15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
OCZ Agility 3 240GB Seagate 600 Pro 240 GB WD Black 4TB Corsair H110 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
Noctua NF-A14 x2 Corsair SP140 x2 Corsair AF120 x1 Corsair SP120 x4 
CoolingOSMonitorKeyboard
EVGA Titan X Hybrid AIO Windows 10 Professional x64 Sharp Aquos 4K LC-60UD27U Logitech K520 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Corsair AX1200 Corsair Obsidian 450D Logitech Wireless Gaming Mouse G700 Sound Blaster Z Sound Card 
AudioAudioOther
Logitech Z906 Speakers Razer Chimaera 5.1 Headphones Sunbeam Rheosmart 6 fan controller 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Video Game News
Overclock.net › Forums › Industry News › Video Game News › [Eurogamer] CD Projekt tackles The Witcher 3 downgrade issue head on