Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › ASUS X99 Sabertooth Owners Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ASUS X99 Sabertooth Owners Thread - Page 158

post #1571 of 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2cam View Post

Looks like I have a bad ram slot on my motherboard, the very first white slot on this board seems to be faulty, tried about 4 sticks of ram on it and sometimes it will register all the memory and others it wont recognize it at all, also some times it will only register 4gb's of the memory. Tried every other white slot on my board and they all work fine, I tried to run my ram in the black slots of the board and it wont even boot at all in any of those slots, very strange..
I'm pretty sure the system requires certain slots to be used first - the biege ones.
Edited by stargate125645 - 8/12/16 at 11:31am
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
BladeRunner v3.0
(11 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-5930K @ 4.6GHz Core, 4.4GHz Cache ASUS X99 Sabertooth Sapphire R9 380 Dual-X OC G.Skill TridentZ 32GB DDR4 @ 13-15-13-33-1T 320... 
Hard DriveCoolingOSKeyboard
Samsung 850 Pro 512GB Noctua NH-D15S Windows 10 Home 64-bit Logitech G910 Orion Spark 
PowerCaseMouse
EVGA SuperNova 1000W T2 NZXT Phantom 820 Black Logitech G5 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1572 of 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13yearOldPCBLDR View Post

Hi, I'm very new to overclocking truth-never done it before in my life. but i spent a lot of time earning some money and have my x99 system built and some watercooling coming in very soon. my question is will my computer get broken faster if i leave the overclock on 24/7 as in everytime i turn on my computer it will always be the speed 4.4ghz for example with voltage maybe 1.25 on all the time if im lucky. I read some sites saying their voltage goes higher than what they had input with adaptive. some guy sauid he set his voltage to 1.3 and during use it went up to 2.0 and it fried his board and cpu.

I'm more worried about this because i spent a lot of time cutting grass in my neighborhood and other peoples. I'm only 13 and I want to be able to buy my own things then get my parents to do everything, so every penny counts.

oh and i forgot to mention but the only things im changing is the core and voltage, and is et my ram to XMP profile 1 and nothing else.

If you do your research, are careful with your overclocking, and keep your cpu temps under 85C and your core voltage under 1.3v while stress testing, then you should never run into a situation that you kill your cpu. The 2.0v that "fried his board"is probably referring to the input voltage, it is recommended you keep this at or below 1.95v-ish. If you are really worried look into purchasing Intel's Performance Tuning Protection Plan .

Agan, if you do your research and follow the guides, you will all but eliminate any chance of hurting your cpu or motherboard. Were always here if you have more specific questions.
post #1573 of 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by kl6mk6 View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 13yearOldPCBLDR View Post

Hi, I'm very new to overclocking truth-never done it before in my life. but i spent a lot of time earning some money and have my x99 system built and some watercooling coming in very soon. my question is will my computer get broken faster if i leave the overclock on 24/7 as in everytime i turn on my computer it will always be the speed 4.4ghz for example with voltage maybe 1.25 on all the time if im lucky. I read some sites saying their voltage goes higher than what they had input with adaptive. some guy sauid he set his voltage to 1.3 and during use it went up to 2.0 and it fried his board and cpu.

I'm more worried about this because i spent a lot of time cutting grass in my neighborhood and other peoples. I'm only 13 and I want to be able to buy my own things then get my parents to do everything, so every penny counts.

oh and i forgot to mention but the only things im changing is the core and voltage, and is et my ram to XMP profile 1 and nothing else.

If you do your research, are careful with your overclocking, and keep your cpu temps under 85C and your core voltage under 1.3v while stress testing, then you should never run into a situation that you kill your cpu. The 2.0v that "fried his board"is probably referring to the input voltage, it is recommended you keep this at or below 1.95v-ish. If you are really worried look into purchasing Intel's Performance Tuning Protection Plan .

Agan, if you do your research and follow the guides, you will all but eliminate any chance of hurting your cpu or motherboard. Were always here if you have more specific questions.

He should of meant the bug that hurt early adopters with incidental 2.0V Vcore after a bios reboot. But this has not happen with anyone for quite a while now. thumb.gif I have had this btw.

Now back to his inquiries, there is no fixed max Voltage to follow. Just take time to dial in the Core Frequency and Vcore til things take a lot more Voltage to maintain stability per 100 MHz or 1 multiplier step. This is the way to gayge where the chip plays at it's comfort zone.

Start at a Vcore of say, 1.2Volts then dial in 40000 MHz while keeping Memory and Cache at their very default values (jedec for the RAM) and slowly testing stability and going up a step for the Multiplier. A couple of X265 4K bench at 2X Overkill should be enough for these testing. Watch the temps.

Now, up to a point where things stop being stable, go back to the last stable multiplier and drop the Vcore by 0.025V while again, keeping things stable. This will be to know what Vcore Value keeps the guven multiplier/frequency stable. i.e 4.4GHz at 1.15 (again, this is an example)

The next step is to try 4.5GHz, from the example above. Now, take note that most chips naturally demand 0.010 Volts of increase per number of Cores per 100 MHz or 1-step multiplier. That's around 0.06 Volts for a 6-core and/or 0.080 for an 8-core.

So, try for 4.5 at 1.21 if you have a 6-core. Test for stability. If that remains stable, good. If that requires more than 0.100 Volts to keep the stability, it's just bad. No additional Voltage can fix that. It's simply the chip limit. So there, go back to the previous frequency and Voltage levels and fine tune things.

Remember these: quite important!

VCCIN - keep this within 2.0 Volts (this is what can kill your chip instantly. Not heat or Vcore value - my experience tells me that 2.9 volts VCCIN = chip death within seconds of light loads)
HWBOT X265 4K rendering to test.

VCache - keep this under 1.3 Volts. Unlike VCore, this is an easier job. Just set VCache to 1.25 and dial say, 4.5GHz. If it allows you to boot into Windows and not freeze with a test, it's already bound for stability.
AIDA 64 Cache Only stress is best for this. 2 hours minimum run.

Manual Memory Tuning is better than XMP for this platform.
HCI Memtest for testing Memory Stability.
post #1574 of 2033
I have a question for everybody here that can answer.
Is it safe to have my overclock on 24/7 with a static voltage of 1.24volts for 4.5 GHz cpu clock speed . I tried to do the adaptive voltage and offset but I brings my cpu voltage higher than 1.3 in testing so I' turn off immediately and now it's just 1.24 always
Will that voltage kill my cpu or motherboard ? Other than those two components have that oc on shouldn't break anything right ?
Oh I test my overclock with asus rog real bench
I tried to get aida64 but I have to pay for that
I'm realistically going to use this computer for 4-5years maybe more and maybe by then I can get a real job instead of cutting grass lol
-_-
post #1575 of 2033
Also do I need to do bios update I have 2101
post #1576 of 2033
You will have to redo your overclocks by upgrading the BIOS. It sure does bring some improvements though.

Now, 1.24 is fine. 1.3 is still good IMO. As long as the temps are in check. Do not exceed 80C on the core. But since you would likely keep the processor for long, stay at ~1.25V

Adaptive can be set properly. thumb.gif

Test your OC with X265 Video encoding. 4K with Overkill 4X.
http://downloads.hwbot.org/downloads/benchmarks/HWBOT_x265_Benchmark_1.2-.rar

Pass several runs, and proceed to RAM tuning.
post #1577 of 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by mus1mus View Post

You will have to redo your overclocks by upgrading the BIOS. It sure does bring some improvements though.

Now, 1.24 is fine. 1.3 is still good IMO. As long as the temps are in check. Do not exceed 80C on the core. But since you would likely keep the processor for long, stay at ~1.25V

Adaptive can be set properly. thumb.gif

Test your OC with X265 Video encoding. 4K with Overkill 4X.
http://downloads.hwbot.org/downloads/benchmarks/HWBOT_x265_Benchmark_1.2-.rar

Pass several runs, and proceed to RAM tuning.

Ok thanks . Does overkill put my cpu to the max ? Like if my things aren't set properly could it kill it? My temperatures right now is low 70s but it should be colder when my cooling comes in. But what temperature am I looking at ? Cores only or the package ?
Also I read something on tomshardware that adaptive saves power it damages the cpu more because of the massive changes in temperature . Like low to high to low during usage, is this true ? The post was from 2014
post #1578 of 2033
Hi, my saber after flash the bios 3301 when I turn off the PC and take off the power supply will reset the bios, the cmos battery is new.
post #1579 of 2033
Also another question do I need my cstates enabled ?
post #1580 of 2033
Quote:
Originally Posted by mr2cam View Post

Looks like I have a bad ram slot on my motherboard, the very first white slot on this board seems to be faulty, tried about 4 sticks of ram on it and sometimes it will register all the memory and others it wont recognize it at all, also some times it will only register 4gb's of the memory. Tried every other white slot on my board and they all work fine, I tried to run my ram in the black slots of the board and it wont even boot at all in any of those slots, very strange..

We are seeing 31.9gb system memory because Windows 10 is more accurately reporting the hardware reserved memory with the updated BIOS is my guess.



As for slot 1 chip dropping out. This happened to me after a BIOS update on my Corsair Vengeance 3000mhz ram. Since that ram wasn't on the QVL Corsair was good enough to swap the Vengeance ram out for Dominator 2800mhz and never had an issue again. I doubt your slot 1 has any problem.
Edited by Undermoose - 8/16/16 at 8:33pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › ASUS X99 Sabertooth Owners Thread