Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › GPU Advice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

GPU Advice

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
Hey all ...

Finally got my savings in order and now I am looking at upgrading my very dated GTX680 2GB.


The options I am currently playing with are:

SLI GTX970
Single GTX980 (HoF, Classy, G1) ... or ... SLI 980's (asus 20th ann or 980 kingpin)
Titan X


Now the Titan X would be at the very ends of the budget and I will go there if it is guaranteed to do the job and last me as long as my 680 has (got it a week after it released and its still going sorta strong) but that is pretty extreme.


What would be the best bet at the moment in terms of running games maxed out @ 1440P (currently have a 1200p screen and will either go with another or change up to a single 1440)


Also, I thought that the 980Ti and 390x were supposed to be launched in the next few weeks but I read somewhere that they will only be launched September or later, is this true ? ... Should I wait for these cards ?




All information would be greatly appreciated.
~Rich
Edited by Emissary of Pain - 5/22/15 at 3:29am
Gaming Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4960X @ 4.6GHZ Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Asus GTX 1080Ti FE 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung Evo 250GB SSD Samsung Evo 250GB SSD 2x 4TB WD Black Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro  Dell U2412M Coolermaster Mech (brown switches) Corsair RM1000i 
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
Silverstone Raven 02-E White (0031) Mionix Castor Mionix Sargas 400 Mackie CR4 
Other
Steelseries Flux In-Ear 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4960X @ 4.6GHZ Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Asus GTX 1080Ti FE 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung Evo 250GB SSD Samsung Evo 250GB SSD 2x 4TB WD Black Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro  Dell U2412M Coolermaster Mech (brown switches) Corsair RM1000i 
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
Silverstone Raven 02-E White (0031) Mionix Castor Mionix Sargas 400 Mackie CR4 
Other
Steelseries Flux In-Ear 
  hide details  
Reply
post #2 of 6
It was announced today that the 980 ti will be released before computex, which is June 2. There are early benchmarks and it's JUUUUUUUUST under the Titan X in performance and will probably be around ~$150 cheaper, at least. All speculation at this point. So for those of us who feel the need for something between a 980 and Titan X, that is our answer. 970 in SLI puts up GREAT numbers but i've read several Tomshardware post that say going from 980 sli to Titan X is a smoother experience. Still struggling with waiting, myself.


980ti announcement and early benchmark.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-980-ti-specs-benchmarks/
post #3 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasthunt View Post

It was announced today that the 980 ti will be released before computex, which is June 2. There are early benchmarks and it's JUUUUUUUUST under the Titan X in performance and will probably be around ~$150 cheaper, at least. All speculation at this point. So for those of us who feel the need for something between a 980 and Titan X, that is our answer. 970 in SLI puts up GREAT numbers but i've read several Tomshardware post that say going from 980 sli to Titan X is a smoother experience. Still struggling with waiting, myself.


980ti announcement and early benchmark.

http://wccftech.com/nvidia-gtx-980-ti-specs-benchmarks/

I actually read in the news section regarding the 980ti... It does look promising but the question is, how long before they release custom 980ti's?

Also, let's hope they haven't gimped the Ti like they did with the 970.

Even though SLI 980's are more powerful than a TX I know that the 4GB VRAM will be a major bottleneck at higher resolutions. (surround setups)

It's even harder for me to decide as I will have to import using Amazon and it's going to be crazy expensive no matter the route I take. (exchange rate is like 13 at the moment)
Gaming Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4960X @ 4.6GHZ Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Asus GTX 1080Ti FE 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung Evo 250GB SSD Samsung Evo 250GB SSD 2x 4TB WD Black Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro  Dell U2412M Coolermaster Mech (brown switches) Corsair RM1000i 
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
Silverstone Raven 02-E White (0031) Mionix Castor Mionix Sargas 400 Mackie CR4 
Other
Steelseries Flux In-Ear 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4960X @ 4.6GHZ Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Asus GTX 1080Ti FE 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung Evo 250GB SSD Samsung Evo 250GB SSD 2x 4TB WD Black Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro  Dell U2412M Coolermaster Mech (brown switches) Corsair RM1000i 
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
Silverstone Raven 02-E White (0031) Mionix Castor Mionix Sargas 400 Mackie CR4 
Other
Steelseries Flux In-Ear 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4 of 6
Yeah, it's a cluster right now. That is for sure. Myself, I am not too concerned if it is 5.5gb instead of the full 6. I will not be using 3 monitors at 4k or anything. Given the price and that concern I would definitely hold out for the 390x/Titan X.

I do know that 6gb of VRAM isn't what it used to be. It will not be long before it's easily swallowed up at higher resolution.

I think the 980ti might be for people like myself who game at 1440 using DSR. We need more than a 980 and less than a Titan X.

It's getting complicated now, if you ask me. Too many choices, too long of a wait and too many gimped GPUs.

Good luck no matter which route you go.
post #5 of 6
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Beasthunt View Post

Yeah, it's a cluster right now. That is for sure. Myself, I am not too concerned if it is 5.5gb instead of the full 6. I will not be using 3 monitors at 4k or anything. Given the price and that concern I would definitely hold out for the 390x/Titan X.

I do know that 6gb of VRAM isn't what it used to be. It will not be long before it's easily swallowed up at higher resolution.

I think the 980ti might be for people like myself who game at 1440 using DSR. We need more than a 980 and less than a Titan X.

It's getting complicated now, if you ask me. Too many choices, too long of a wait and too many gimped GPUs.

Good luck no matter which route you go.


Thanks very much, I know the feeling regarding it being a cluster @#$! ... I mean seriously, so many things happening and so many rumors, would be great just to finally hear exactly whats happening with AMD and maybe more concrete benches of the Ti with news on custom solutions
Gaming Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4960X @ 4.6GHZ Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Asus GTX 1080Ti FE 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung Evo 250GB SSD Samsung Evo 250GB SSD 2x 4TB WD Black Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro  Dell U2412M Coolermaster Mech (brown switches) Corsair RM1000i 
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
Silverstone Raven 02-E White (0031) Mionix Castor Mionix Sargas 400 Mackie CR4 
Other
Steelseries Flux In-Ear 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming Rig
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 4960X @ 4.6GHZ Asus Rampage IV Black Edition Asus GTX 1080Ti FE 16GB Corsair Dominator Platinum @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung Evo 250GB SSD Samsung Evo 250GB SSD 2x 4TB WD Black Corsair H110i GT 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win 10 Pro  Dell U2412M Coolermaster Mech (brown switches) Corsair RM1000i 
CaseMouseMouse PadOther
Silverstone Raven 02-E White (0031) Mionix Castor Mionix Sargas 400 Mackie CR4 
Other
Steelseries Flux In-Ear 
  hide details  
Reply
post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emissary of Pain View Post

Thanks very much, I know the feeling regarding it being a cluster @#$! ... I mean seriously, so many things happening and so many rumors, would be great just to finally hear exactly whats happening with AMD and maybe more concrete benches of the Ti with news on custom solutions

Lol. Exactly. I was at a micro center today. It took much restraint not to pick up a Titan X. I got a few things. Will be calling it neckbeard.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: NVIDIA
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › NVIDIA › GPU Advice