Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Just Purchased New SSD. Should I Reinstall Windows on New SSD?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Just Purchased New SSD. Should I Reinstall Windows on New SSD?

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 
This is what I purchased: http://ssd.userbenchmark.com/Compare/Intel-730-Series-240GB-vs-Crucial-M4-128GB/2031vs1929
post #2 of 15
Quote:

If your current install is more than a year old, I would do a clean install. Otherwise you could clone your current drive see how it works.
post #3 of 15
if you have time a clean install is best but if not, then cloning using a tool such as Macrium Reflect should be fine
post #4 of 15
Thread Starter 
Just to confirm, so the Intel 730 240 GB SSD should be faster than my 3 year old Crucial M4 128 GB enough to warrant a clean install of Windows on it?
post #5 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanivakil View Post

Just to confirm, so the Intel 730 240 GB SSD should be faster than my 3 year old Crucial M4 128 GB enough to warrant a clean install of Windows on it?

off-course, but I'd try without a clean install first if you have a lot of stuff installed. Me personally, I would always do a clean install no matter what SSD I swap. Just the way I like to do things, fresh start
post #6 of 15
Thread Starter 
Okay, thank you. I'll do a clean install when I receive my new SSD. The 128 GB M4 is mostly Windows. I have 83.7 GB left on the M4.
post #7 of 15
The moment you see the Windows desktop after the clean install, run command prompt as an admin and paste this command to disable NTFS compression. That's the best tweak you could do otherwise you will see a lot of files in the Windows/System32 folder in blue indicating they're compressed and that cannot be undone unless you wanna take ownership of each of the thousands of tiles so do this immeidately:

fsutil behavior set disablecompression 1


then reboot right away


also, when installing Windows, ensure you only have that SSD connected and nothing else, no other HDD or SSD otherwise Windows will place the boot files on the 2nd drive which will hurt your performance in boot time a bit and make things more complicated when imaging your C: partition since the boot files are on another drive
post #8 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kanivakil View Post

Okay, thank you. I'll do a clean install when I receive my new SSD. The 128 GB M4 is mostly Windows. I have 83.7 GB left on the M4.

I don't know if you will be able to tell the difference, benchmarks will probably say it is faster though. Also if you plan to upgrade to Win 10, you might just wait till then to reinstall.
post #9 of 15
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Faster_is_better View Post

I don't know if you will be able to tell the difference, benchmarks will probably say it is faster though. Also if you plan to upgrade to Win 10, you might just wait till then to reinstall.

Good idea, I had thought about that because I'm going to upgrade my motherboard to the Z97 Asus Maximus Hero when GTX 980 Ti is released then I'd have to do it all over again. Thanks. I'll just use the Intel SSD as an additional until then.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaXimus666 View Post

The moment you see the Windows desktop after the clean install, run command prompt as an admin and paste this command to disable NTFS compression. That's the best tweak you could do otherwise you will see a lot of files in the Windows/System32 folder in blue indicating they're compressed and that cannot be undone unless you wanna take ownership of each of the thousands of tiles so do this immeidately:

fsutil behavior set disablecompression 1


then reboot right away


also, when installing Windows, ensure you only have that SSD connected and nothing else, no other HDD or SSD otherwise Windows will place the boot files on the 2nd drive which will hurt your performance in boot time a bit and make things more complicated when imaging your C: partition since the boot files are on another drive

Thanks. I'll keep note of it when I order my new MOBO.
Edited by Kanivakil - 5/22/15 at 3:11pm
post #10 of 15
I would do a clean install and what I did with my new SSD is simply copy and paste my folders from my user (C:/users/Patrick). Easy, fast, clean.
Zen
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI RX 480 4GB 24 GB DDR4 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 evo OCZ Vertex 4 Crucial MX 500 256GB WD Black 3 TB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 1 TB H60 Windows 10 Asus mx27a 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
hp 2009 m Corsair MR Brown Antec Earthwatts 650 Razer Naga 
Audio
Soundblaster Omni 
  hide details  
Reply
Zen
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i5-6600k Gigabyte Z170XP-SLI RX 480 4GB 24 GB DDR4 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Samsung 850 evo OCZ Vertex 4 Crucial MX 500 256GB WD Black 3 TB 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Seagate 1 TB H60 Windows 10 Asus mx27a 
MonitorKeyboardPowerMouse
hp 2009 m Corsair MR Brown Antec Earthwatts 650 Razer Naga 
Audio
Soundblaster Omni 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: SSD
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Hard Drives & Storage › SSD › Just Purchased New SSD. Should I Reinstall Windows on New SSD?