Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC - Page 351

post #3501 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darylrese View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny89 View Post


Guys, can you take some photo of your screen like this ? White background and from the same position and distance. I'm pretty interested in uniformity comparing to TN. Thx!

https://flic.kr/p/zZ1xwa
post #3502 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post

Welcome, with SLI you will have enough power to drive this 1440p beast wink.gif I've heard that SLI may introduce some microstuttering, don't know if it is true or not, never had such configuration. Did you notice any microstuttering with your previous SLI ?

I haven't had a real computer gaming setup in 15 years so I wouldn't know. But, I am pick one up in few days so I will let you know if any funny things happen in SLI mode.
post #3503 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchofsub View Post

oh lol. I have been so out of the mix in computer gaming. Last time I played computer games was almost 15 years ago when Quake 3, and Unreal Tournament FPS games were popular. Playing on a CRT, so I had no idea what stuttering on games is until I looked it up on YouTube videos just minutes ago. I think during those times GeForce 3 was like godsend and I would check madonion.com for performance and how to OC etc. This is going to be my first build in 15 years and taking all the parts I've ordered to frys on thursday to have it all assembled for $50.00 ( I built my computer 15 years ago but forgot all about it now). Anyway, thanks for the replies and you sure did save me some good money! like I said in previous post, I was planning to get the 34uc97 but now after seeing screen tearing/stuttering videos on youtube, not sure if I want to go without gsync. (mind changes so quickly!) Well, I am definitely picking up another gtx980 in few days to SLI, and would have to make a decision on monitor by next week.

If you will have 980 SLI then definitely take 1440p - if you take without g-sync then you need to enable v-sync and have fixed refresh rate. If you are not too immersive then you could play on 60FPS but from my own experience 75FPS is much better (currently I have overclocked my 60Hz screen to 75Hz). But as I said, don't know how SLI is with microstuttering. Read much about the microstuttering is present so therefore it's not a way to go for me. I can't stand any amount of microstuttering smile.gif

Now I've noticed you have only 620W power supply. This will not be enough for SLI setup, so be aware you would need to upgrade your PSU as well. So maybe you could do better with single 980Ti and g-sync.
post #3504 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Searchofsub View Post

oh lol on camera being the cause of the pink patch . I have been so out of the mix in computer gaming. Last time I played computer games was almost 15 years ago when Quake 3, and Unreal Tournament FPS games were popular. Playing on a CRT, so I had no idea what stuttering on games is until I looked it up on YouTube videos just minutes ago. I think during those times GeForce 3 was like godsend and I would check madonion.com for performance and how to OC etc. This is going to be my first build in 15 years and taking all the parts I've ordered to frys on thursday to have it all assembled for $50.00 ( I built my computer 15 years ago but forgot all about it now). Anyway, thanks for the replies and you sure did save me some good money! like I said in previous post, I was planning to get the 34uc97 but now after seeing screen tearing/stuttering videos on youtube, not sure if I want to go without gsync. (mind changes so quickly!) Well, I am definitely picking up another gtx980 in few days to SLI, and would have to make a decision on monitor by next week.

Searchsub:

You said you used to use CRT's...did you hate them or love them?
Do you hate the move to LCD's?

What is most important to you right now?
CRT quality movement with a non blurry (strobed backlight), BUT having to keep FPS=refresh rate to maintain that (otherwise, stutters), or No stutters at all, even if the image is blurry? (I need to know the answer to this).

I'd say if the pink patches is only caused by camera, go ahead and get the ROG Swift on sale. It's almost half price and it doesn't seem to have any dead pixels or smudges / dirt behind the panel. If you TRULY want gsync, then go ahead and get it as long as it's cheap.
SB Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD5 B3 R9 290X 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 2 TB, WD 1 TB, 250gb Liteon ihbs212 blu-ray burner/reader XP+W7 Benq XL2720Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 69/Year of the Goat/Shine 5 Seasonic Platinum X1000 Corsair 760T Logitech G502 with r0ach approved ™ sensor 
Mouse Pad
Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
SB Rig
(13 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7-2600k Gigabyte P67A-UD5 B3 R9 290X 16GB 
Hard DriveOptical DriveOSMonitor
WD 2 TB, WD 1 TB, 250gb Liteon ihbs212 blu-ray burner/reader XP+W7 Benq XL2720Z 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Ducky Shine 69/Year of the Goat/Shine 5 Seasonic Platinum X1000 Corsair 760T Logitech G502 with r0ach approved ™ sensor 
Mouse Pad
Puretrak Talent 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3505 of 9462
I had SLI configs 4 times and i will never do it again. Had it on 2 x 8800 GTS, 2 x GTX 260, 2 x GTX 295 (Quad sli), 2 x GTX 480.
Each time i thought sli got better but i was the same hassle each time. game did not have proper sli profiles so it was poor performance some times even worse than single card performance.
Most old games don't support sli so i had to disable sli all the time.

When sli finally worked (in AAA games) there was micro stutter i personally can't stand it. I am paying a lot for gsync to get a more smooth experience going sli would just defeat that purpose.

Atleast for me. I Can understand people who only play AAA games with i guess propper sli support and hopefully no micro stutter.
TK-421
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 5820k Asus X99-S G̶i̶g̶a̶b̶y̶t̶e̶ ̶G̶1̶ ̶G̶t̶x̶ ̶9̶7̶0̶ ̶3̶.̶5̶G... Gigabyte Gtx 980 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB EK - Supremacy EVO - Acetal + Nickel (Original ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Alphacool st30 360mm 2 x Alphacool st30 120mm 7 x Nb E-loop B12-PS 1 x Swiftech Helix  
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Win 8.1 x64 A̶s̶u̶s̶ ̶R̶o̶g̶ ̶S̶w̶i̶f̶t̶ ̶P̶g̶2̶7̶8̶Q̶ Hp w2558hc A̶c̶e̶r̶ ̶X̶b̶2̶7̶0̶h̶u̶ 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
A̶s̶u̶s̶ ̶P̶G̶2̶7̶9̶Q̶ Dell S2716DG (A03) Logitech K800 Club3d 1200w CSP-X1200CS 80 PLUS 
CaseMouse
Nzxt H440 White Steelseries Kinzu V2 
  hide details  
Reply
TK-421
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 5820k Asus X99-S G̶i̶g̶a̶b̶y̶t̶e̶ ̶G̶1̶ ̶G̶t̶x̶ ̶9̶7̶0̶ ̶3̶.̶5̶G... Gigabyte Gtx 980 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB EK - Supremacy EVO - Acetal + Nickel (Original ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Alphacool st30 360mm 2 x Alphacool st30 120mm 7 x Nb E-loop B12-PS 1 x Swiftech Helix  
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Win 8.1 x64 A̶s̶u̶s̶ ̶R̶o̶g̶ ̶S̶w̶i̶f̶t̶ ̶P̶g̶2̶7̶8̶Q̶ Hp w2558hc A̶c̶e̶r̶ ̶X̶b̶2̶7̶0̶h̶u̶ 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
A̶s̶u̶s̶ ̶P̶G̶2̶7̶9̶Q̶ Dell S2716DG (A03) Logitech K800 Club3d 1200w CSP-X1200CS 80 PLUS 
CaseMouse
Nzxt H440 White Steelseries Kinzu V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3506 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by misiak View Post

You have to realize that moving from 1080p to 1440p you get 30 - 40% performance hit. So for example a game running 100FPS on 1080p will run 50 - 70FPS on 1440p - depends on complexity. Therefore it is very important to have g-sync in this case. As for example Witcher or Unity run from 55 - 80FPS on 980Ti. So on 980 it would run 40 - 60 FPS. Without G-sync everything bellow 60FPS is unusable. So it helps with fluidity. What it will not help is input lag which can be pretty annoying on 50Hz.

So I recommend to go with SLI.

I disagree. It Depends highly on your OC of your 980 Ti. For example my Gigabyte G1 980Ti is OCed to 1520Hz and 8000 memory and on 1080p in Witcher 3 with everything maxed it was using max 87% of its power and keeping me constant 60 FPS, sometimes going up to close 70 FPS in small areas (basements, dungeons etc), and droping only becasuse of Geralt hairs getting too close to screen ^^.

Now I was playing on Witcher 3 1440, again maxed out with hairwors etc. and I got about 55-65 FPS during normal play (running, riding, fighting etc). Droping to 50 only when hairworks were too close or when I was in really high demanding moment (like wind with rain in heavy forest area). But my GPU was finally using 99% of its power constantly.

So if you are lucky and got yourself good OC 980 Ti then if you can push it to at least 1500 you can play at 1440p with single card. With stock clocks (around 1300 something usually) single 980 Ti won't be enough. You need good OC.

My other 1440p from last few days (everything maxed, on, ultra etc):

Metal Gear Solid V- 65-90 FPS
Thief- 80-110 FPS
Witcher 3- 55-65 FPS
GTA V- 50-60 FPS (biggest BS here is this grass settings.... tone it down and you can go 60 FPS)
Watch Dogs- 70 FPS

So if you have G-Sync you basicelly play smoothly and easy on 1440p.

Now if not for my bottom right corner bleed/glow I would call this monitor perfect. But I just can't stand it.

All other corner when I sit in my just most comfortable gaming position (about straight in front of monitor with middle of screen little below the level of my eyes) all other 3 corner have about same tiny bit IPS glow, really really tiny. You won't notice during gaming. BUT this fking bottom roght corner just glow like 5x more than other ones!

My replacement will be in next week so if that bottom right is solved- I have perfect monitor.
Edited by Benny89 - 10/27/15 at 6:58am
Tomb
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5775C 4.2 Ghz 1.36V Asus VII Hero ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC 11 GB 2063/6000 24/7 G.Skill DDR3 16GB (2x8GB) TridentX 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SSD HyperX Savage 480GB SATA3 Seagate 3.5'', 2TB, SATAIII Corsair H105 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
XB271HU 1440p 165Hz Corsair K70 LUX RGB EVGA Supernova G2 1000 PHANTEKS Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass- Black. 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma EXCO Scropion Athletics Edifier R1800BT SENNHEISER HD598 SPECIAL EDITION - BLACK 
OtherOtherOther
LC-Power LC-CFC-1 Fan Controller Xbox One One Gears of War 4 Crimson Omen specia... Playstation 4 Pro + Licensed PS4 Pad stand 
  hide details  
Reply
Tomb
(19 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel i7 5775C 4.2 Ghz 1.36V Asus VII Hero ASUS GTX 1080 Ti STRIX OC 11 GB 2063/6000 24/7 G.Skill DDR3 16GB (2x8GB) TridentX 2133MHz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
SSD HyperX Savage 480GB SATA3 Seagate 3.5'', 2TB, SATAIII Corsair H105 Windows 10 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
XB271HU 1440p 165Hz Corsair K70 LUX RGB EVGA Supernova G2 1000 PHANTEKS Enthoo Evolv ATX Tempered Glass- Black. 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Razer DeathAdder Chroma EXCO Scropion Athletics Edifier R1800BT SENNHEISER HD598 SPECIAL EDITION - BLACK 
OtherOtherOther
LC-Power LC-CFC-1 Fan Controller Xbox One One Gears of War 4 Crimson Omen specia... Playstation 4 Pro + Licensed PS4 Pad stand 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3507 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCapwn View Post

I had SLI configs 4 times and i will never do it again. Had it on 2 x 8800 GTS, 2 x GTX 260, 2 x GTX 295 (Quad sli), 2 x GTX 480.
Each time i thought sli got better but i was the same hassle each time. game did not have proper sli profiles so it was poor performance some times even worse than single card performance.
Most old games don't support sli so i had to disable sli all the time.

When sli finally worked (in AAA games) there was micro stutter i personally can't stand it. I am paying a lot for gsync to get a more smooth experience going sli would just defeat that purpose.

Atleast for me. I Can understand people who only play AAA games with i guess propper sli support and hopefully no micro stutter.

This is what I'm afraid off. I also can't stand any form of microstuttering. Even mouse panning makes me crazy if not implemented well and I can see all those jerky movements while everything else is smooth. Then I want to connect controller because it is always silky smooth but I don't want to play FPS games on controller on PC... I think with SLI you have always microstuttering so this is not a way for me to go.


Quote:
Originally Posted by Benny89 View Post

I disagree. It Depends highly on your OC of your 980 Ti. For example my Gigabyte G1 980Ti is OCed to 1520Hz and 8000 memory and on 1080p in Witcher 3 with everything maxed it was using max 87% of its power and keeping me constant 60 FPS, sometimes going up to close 70 FPS in small areas (basements, dungeons etc), and droping only becasuse of Geralt hairs getting too close to screen ^^.

Now I was playing on Witcher 3 1440, again maxed out with hairwors etc. and I got about 55-65 FPS during normal play (running, riding, fighting etc). Droping to 50 only when hairworks were too close or when I was in really high demanding moment (like wind with rain in heavy forest area). But my GPU was finally using 99% of its power constantly.

So if you are lucky and got yourself good OC 980 Ti then if you can push it to at least 1500 you can play at 1440p with single card. With stock clocks (around 1300 something usually) single 980 Ti won't be enough. You need good OC.

My other 1440p from last few days (everything maxed, on, ultra etc):

Metal Gear Solid V- 65-90 FPS
Thief- 80-110 FPS
Witcher 3- 55-65 FPS
GTA V- 50-60 FPS (biggest BS here is this grass settings.... tone it down and you can go 60 FPS)
Watch Dogs- 70 FPS

So if you have G-Sync you basicelly play smoothly and easy on 1440p.

Now if not for my bottom right corner bleed/glow I would call this monitor perfect. But I just can't stand it.

All other corner when I sit in my just most comfortable gaming position (about straight in front of monitor with middle of screen little below the level of my eyes) all other 3 corner have about same tiny bit IPS glow, really really tiny. You won't notice during gaming. BUT this fking bottom roght corner just glow like 5x more than other ones!

My replacement will be in next week so if that bottom right is solved- I have perfect monitor.

With overclocking you may boost your performance up to 10% on average. This will not save you much - it's maybe 6 - 8 FPS more on 1440p... But you are right most current games can run above 60FPS but also with dips to low 50 with pretty noticeable input lag. But then you don't need 144Hz monitor, do you ? Just lock to 60FPS and play 1440p... So for me it's always better to play on higher refresh rates let's say from 75FPS above and lower resolution than lock at 60FPS and higher res. It's night and day. But I don't want to be locked at fixed refresh rate if I don't need to be. So I would better take 1080p even on 980Ti but with G-sync because high refresh rate is really nice. Input lag eliminated pretty much and fluidity much better. And to be honest, there is not big difference between 23" 1080p and 27" 1440p in games regarding image quality. But bigger screen is definitely better. So if there is 1080p IPS with g-sync I would take it immediately.

But yes, 980Ti and FuryX are only cards I would recommend for 1440p gaming at the moment. Maybe until Pascal come out. So I would take this Asus as well if it would be without issues.

Hope you will not have any dust nor dead pixels as well...
Edited by misiak - 10/27/15 at 7:20am
post #3508 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCapwn View Post

I had SLI configs 4 times and i will never do it again. Had it on 2 x 8800 GTS, 2 x GTX 260, 2 x GTX 295 (Quad sli), 2 x GTX 480.
Each time i thought sli got better but i was the same hassle each time. game did not have proper sli profiles so it was poor performance some times even worse than single card performance.
Most old games don't support sli so i had to disable sli all the time.

When sli finally worked (in AAA games) there was micro stutter i personally can't stand it. I am paying a lot for gsync to get a more smooth experience going sli would just defeat that purpose.

Atleast for me. I Can understand people who only play AAA games with i guess propper sli support and hopefully no micro stutter.

You know a lot has changed since the GTX 480, SLI and Crossfire are more popular, which means more developers support it from day one, NVIDIA and AMD drivers are a lot better for two way SLI or Crossfire as it is more popular, the GPU architecture has also improved for SLI and Crossfire, you cannot compare old GPUs in SLI to now.

We also have DirectX11 which improved SLI and Crossfire, now we got DirectX12 which is going to improve SLI and Crossfire in games.
post #3509 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by Metros View Post

You know a lot has changed since the GTX 480, SLI and Crossfire are more popular, which means more developers support it from day one, NVIDIA and AMD drivers are a lot better for two way SLI or Crossfire as it is more popular, the GPU architecture has also improved for SLI and Crossfire, you cannot compare old GPUs in SLI to now.

We also have DirectX11 which improved SLI and Crossfire, now we got DirectX12 which is going to improve SLI and Crossfire in games.

Sorry but that is what i hear 3 times already smile.gif which is why i tried sli 4 times total. Everytime there was somebody who said. "this time its better and more smooth and almost all games support sli today or will very soon. Even today there aren't that many games that supports sli. Only the most popular. I had the 480's in sli just last year and it was still horrible with the drivers back then.

I have no doubt that the experience would be better with the 900 series today. Or the fury's in Xfire but it will be many years before i will even try going that road again. When Dx12 is a new standard i will maybe try it again. I am just TO sensitive to microstutter and mouse lag/speed up and down. redface.gif
TK-421
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 5820k Asus X99-S G̶i̶g̶a̶b̶y̶t̶e̶ ̶G̶1̶ ̶G̶t̶x̶ ̶9̶7̶0̶ ̶3̶.̶5̶G... Gigabyte Gtx 980 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB EK - Supremacy EVO - Acetal + Nickel (Original ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Alphacool st30 360mm 2 x Alphacool st30 120mm 7 x Nb E-loop B12-PS 1 x Swiftech Helix  
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Win 8.1 x64 A̶s̶u̶s̶ ̶R̶o̶g̶ ̶S̶w̶i̶f̶t̶ ̶P̶g̶2̶7̶8̶Q̶ Hp w2558hc A̶c̶e̶r̶ ̶X̶b̶2̶7̶0̶h̶u̶ 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
A̶s̶u̶s̶ ̶P̶G̶2̶7̶9̶Q̶ Dell S2716DG (A03) Logitech K800 Club3d 1200w CSP-X1200CS 80 PLUS 
CaseMouse
Nzxt H440 White Steelseries Kinzu V2 
  hide details  
Reply
TK-421
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
Intel 5820k Asus X99-S G̶i̶g̶a̶b̶y̶t̶e̶ ̶G̶1̶ ̶G̶t̶x̶ ̶9̶7̶0̶ ̶3̶.̶5̶G... Gigabyte Gtx 980 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveCooling
G.Skill Ripjaws 16GB Samsung 840 Pro 256GB Sandisk Extreme Pro 480GB EK - Supremacy EVO - Acetal + Nickel (Original ... 
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
2 x Alphacool st30 360mm 2 x Alphacool st30 120mm 7 x Nb E-loop B12-PS 1 x Swiftech Helix  
OSMonitorMonitorMonitor
Win 8.1 x64 A̶s̶u̶s̶ ̶R̶o̶g̶ ̶S̶w̶i̶f̶t̶ ̶P̶g̶2̶7̶8̶Q̶ Hp w2558hc A̶c̶e̶r̶ ̶X̶b̶2̶7̶0̶h̶u̶ 
MonitorMonitorKeyboardPower
A̶s̶u̶s̶ ̶P̶G̶2̶7̶9̶Q̶ Dell S2716DG (A03) Logitech K800 Club3d 1200w CSP-X1200CS 80 PLUS 
CaseMouse
Nzxt H440 White Steelseries Kinzu V2 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3510 of 9462
Quote:
Originally Posted by AlCapwn View Post

Sorry but that is what i hear 3 times already smile.gif which is why i tried sli 4 times total. Everytime there was somebody who said. "this time its better and more smooth and almost all games support sli today or will very soon. Even today there aren't that many games that supports sli. Only the most popular. I had the 480's in sli just last year and it was still horrible with the drivers back then.

I have no doubt that the experience would be better with the 900 series today. Or the fury's in Xfire but it will be many years before i will even try going that road again. When Dx12 is a new standard i will maybe try it again. I am just TO sensitive to microstutter and mouse lag/speed up and down. redface.gif

I understand smile.gif

It definitely has improved since the GTX 480 series. It also depends on what games you play, if you play popular games like Witcher 3, Fallout 4, Battlefront and other popular games then there will be a SLI or Crossfire profile for them, NVIDIA has an SLI profile for Battlefront and that is not even out.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC