Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC - Page 791

post #7901 of 9290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCM2 View Post

Again... Did you actually read the description of the video you posted? So you actually understand exactly what is being shown. Because it reinforces what I've said. rolleyes.gif

Regardless, it will work as a FPS counter if G-Sync is ON which is what most people will be using the monitor mode in. So yes, I can read and understand that your statement about it being only Hz isn't accurate.
post #7902 of 9290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCM2 View Post

Again... Did you actually read the description of the video you posted? So you actually understand exactly what is being shown. Because it reinforces what I've said. rolleyes.gif It is certainly accurate in that it tells you exactly what refresh rate the monitor is running at, but it relies on G-SYNC to operate. I have no idea what you mean by Hz cannot dynamically change like that. Do you know what G-SYNC is?! tongue.gif

You're acting like Hz = FPS.. I'm not sure you're the one that has an understanding of what refresh rate and frames per second is.
post #7903 of 9290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCM2 View Post

Again... Did you actually read the description of the video you posted? So you actually understand exactly what is being shown. Because it reinforces what I've said. rolleyes.gif It is certainly accurate in that it tells you exactly what refresh rate the monitor is running at, but it relies on G-SYNC to operate. I have no idea what you mean by Hz cannot dynamically change like that. Do you know what G-SYNC is?! tongue.gif

Chill guys. You are both right. biggrin.gif
Thinking about it for a second made me understand your point PCM2, so you are correct, technically you might call it a refresh rate indicator, serving as a practical, accurate when G-Sync is on.

However, the Asus marketing dudes are perfectly fine calling it an "FPS Counter", because that's a good use for it when G-Sync is on.
It's a nice feature in our monitors, IMHO. Guess FRAPS can still be used if you play without G-Sync.... but why would any PG279Q commit such blasphemy? biggrin.gif
post #7904 of 9290
That's spot on, but that's also what I've been saying all along. If you or anybody else reads back through page 790 they'll see that. Diversion was clearly disputing that fact then seemed to go back on himself and confuse the situation.
post #7905 of 9290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCM2 View Post

That's spot on, but that's also what I've been saying all along. If you or anybody else reads back through page 790 they'll see that. Diversion was clearly disputing that fact then seemed to go back on himself and confuse the situation.

Nope, I never went back on myself.. You said it was only a way to display refresh rate, not FPS. I simply said you were wrong.
post #7906 of 9290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversion View Post

Nope, I never went back on myself.. You said it was only a way to display refresh rate, not FPS. I simply said you were wrong.

Let me break this down for you...
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCM2 View Post

There is a so-called FPS counter on this monitor. All it does is tell you the refresh rate of the monitor when running G-SYNC. Which should of course match the FPS in most cases.

That's what I said in my very first post. Completely unambiguous and correct. But then you said:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversion View Post

Well I certainly didn't know it had an actual FPS (not Hz) counter built into the hardware.. i'll have to go home and try it out.. I don't remember seeing it in the options.. Thanks for the info!

Which is what I challenged simply by reinforcing that it counts the Hz, which happens to correspond to the FPS in G-SYNC (as per my original post). It tells you the refresh rate that the monitor is running at. When G-SYNC is enabled, that will match the FPS of the game. Because that is the whole point in G-SYNC. All I was really reinforcing, or attempting to, is that this feature does not work without G-SYNC on. Because it is a refresh rate counter, not a true FPS counter.
Edited by PCM2 - 2/10/16 at 1:24pm
post #7907 of 9290
Quote:
Originally Posted by PCM2 View Post

Let me break this down for you...
That's what I said in my very first post. Completely unambiguous and correct. But then you said:
Which is what I challenged simply by reinforcing that it counts the Hz, which happens to correspond to the FPS in G-SYNC (as per my original post). It tells you the refresh rate that the monitor is running at. When G-SYNC is enabled, that will match the FPS of the game. Because that is the whole point in G-SYNC. All I was really reinforcing, or attempting to, is that this feature does not work without G-SYNC on. Because it is a refresh rate counter, not a true FPS counter.

Cool.

On another note, getting my replacement tomorrow.. Reports to follow.
post #7908 of 9290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversion View Post

I think on the PG279q's the BLB is unnecessary pressure from the frame (esp in bottom right). This pressure seems to change the edge lit LED angle making it more prominent and brown as a result. As indicated when I took apart my first PG279Q to see what was going on.. The BLB indeed improved by about 33% and disappeared from everywhere else. .. It appears the design of the case frame permanently ruins the angle of the LEDs there and without taking apart the actual LCD it's probably not an easy fix.

Do you have some pictures of the procedure?
post #7909 of 9290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Obyboby View Post

Do you have some pictures of the procedure?

The only picture I uploaded was to show where you slide a old rewards/credit card around the bezel to get the bezel to unhinged (there are some clips that can be undone by using the credit card like a crow bar around the bezel).

jQMjpQCl.jpg

Once you get the back cover of the monitor off (the front black bezel actually stays attached to the LCD, this is normal). Just carefully disconnect the wiring - DO NOT forcefully remove the back panel, there are about 3-4 cables that can easily be disconnected from the system board of the monitor. . And there's a few sensitive ribbon cables that are in there too..

Basically, I do not recommend doing this at all.. If you decide to do it and mount it back on the monitor stand, there is literally nothing holding the actual LCD panel to the monitor stand except for aluminum tape.. They taped the system board housing to the back of the LCD.. that's it.. Tape. Your LCD could very well fall off the stand and crash onto your desk further ruining your day after the unsettling feeling of taking apart your PG279Q already felt like a bad idea.

I believe you also lose the LED lighting of the ring/ROG logo while you have the back panel off since you remove the contacts that send power to the base. You don't break any seals or warranty stuff after you remove the back cover though that I could see.. There's no way Asus would know you opened it up unless you sloppily put everything and the cabling together, I suppose.
Edited by Diversion - 2/10/16 at 3:43pm
post #7910 of 9290
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diversion View Post

The only picture I uploaded was to show where you slide a old rewards/credit card around the bezel to get the bezel to unhinged (there are some clips that can be undone by using the credit card like a crow bar around the bezel).

jQMjpQCl.jpg

Once you get the back cover of the monitor off (the front black bezel actually stays attached to the LCD, this is normal). Just carefully disconnect the wiring - DO NOT forcefully remove the back panel, there are about 3-4 cables that can easily be disconnected from the system board of the monitor. . And there's a few sensitive ribbon cables that are in there too..

Basically, I do not recommend doing this at all.. If you decide to do it and mount it back on the monitor stand, there is literally nothing holding the actual LCD panel to the monitor stand except for aluminum tape.. They taped the system board housing to the back of the LCD.. that's it.. Tape. Your LCD could very well fall off the stand and crash onto your desk further ruining your day after the unsettling feeling of taking apart your PG279Q already felt like a bad idea.

I believe you also lose the LED lighting of the ring/ROG logo while you have the back panel off since you remove the contacts that send power to the base. You don't break any seals or warranty stuff after you remove the back cover though that I could see.. There's no way Asus would know you opened it up unless you sloppily put everything and the cabling together, I suppose.

Thanks!
Yeah, I am aware that this is risky to do... I just wanted to know how I would have to do if someday I went completely crazy and decided to take apart 900 euros worth of monitor xD
My only concerns are:

- The risk of making the BLB even worse
- Dust that could end up on the panel and be visible

But from your words it seems that it's impossible to get any dust between the panel and the front? I might be wrong here..
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC