Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC - Page 840

post #8391 of 9407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosaer View Post

The PG279Q isn't worth the effort unless you're feeling super lucky, I think I've settled on PG278Q. Yeah it's TN and has some gamma shift but it's a good TN, if not for the heavier AG coating..... I honestly wouldn't be able to tell the difference in normal use. Just like you I put on a movie and felt like i was conned out of 800 bucks, there's good ones out there but you may never get one

I come from a Dell U2312HM (23" 1080p IPS) so the upgrade is dramatic.

You're right; it's a gamble with these monitors. Luckily Amazon.es has great customer service, so I can probably RMA at least 3-4 times until I get fed up. If I don't get a good sample I will get the Acer Predator XB271HU and try my luck with that one (and also save a cool 37,14€ / $42.20). Heck, even the Asus M279Q could work, no G-sync but it's 196,13€ ($222.80) cheaper.

In other words, I knew where I was getting into, I wanted to try these new technologies and have some fun with the RMAs. That's why I bought it on Amazon.es, worst case scenario I get a full refund, I will NOT end up wasting 809€ (~$918.35) in a piece of trash defective display with BLB.

To avoid backlight bleed something like the Dell Dell S2716DG would be really good, but as it happens with the PG278Q, it's TN and I can't stand the poor viewing angles, I've been using IPS since 2007 and I'm not going back biggrin.gif
Edited by EXPERIMENTONGOD - 6/6/16 at 6:03pm
post #8392 of 9407
how can you check the manufacture date, is it on the outside of the box?
post #8393 of 9407
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonade123 View Post

Thanks for the quick response. Here's the updated screenshots and a video while moving around a little. Took a picture standing further away so as not make the image overexposed.



Video: https://gfycat.com/BigPleasedAkitainu

Seems like the BLB is mostly at the top right corner. Saw the mfg date as well stating it's the March 2016 batch. Should I still RMA this?
I d definitely tell ya, you got a very nice unit, BLB seems to be very minor
You should keep it, its similar to mine which i consider its the best i ve grabbed over my two units from XB271HU
post #8394 of 9407
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tensor187x View Post

how can you check the manufacture date, is it on the outside of the box?

Nope, it's not on the box (there's a sticker but it only shows P/N, model, etc.), the date is on one of the two stickers located below/behind the panel, so no date checking before opening.
Edited by EXPERIMENTONGOD - 6/7/16 at 1:52pm
post #8395 of 9407
Quote:
Originally Posted by lemonade123 View Post

Thanks for the quick response. Here's the updated screenshots and a video while moving around a little. Took a picture standing further away so as not make the image overexposed.



Video: https://gfycat.com/BigPleasedAkitainu

Seems like the BLB is mostly at the top right corner. Saw the mfg date as well stating it's the March 2016 batch. Should I still RMA this?

I think that one's a keeper, it will be quite hard (if not impossible) to get any better than that with further replacements.

If you're even wondering about RMA, then you shouldn't do it. The whole point of RMA is replacing a monitor with a big enough defect that it's unacceptable and bothers YOU during normal usage. If you have to turn the lights off and play with the camera to see any defects, then why bother with the RMA? let's not get crazy with RMAing 99% perfect displays guys, as a lot of people have already said, you're not going to get 100% perfect IPS panels from these scumbags.

Of course it's a $800 panel so if you're not sure about the quality then you probably should forget about the whole "gaming monitor" thing and/or wait for a new generation of panels with better QC.
Edited by EXPERIMENTONGOD - 6/7/16 at 2:53pm
post #8396 of 9407
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPERIMENTONGOD View Post

Hello guys,

I bought this thing at Amazon.es on Friday and it arrived today.

- Brand new, box was sealed with ASUS tape
- Mfg. date: January 2016
- No dead pixels.
- Panel uniformity (white background) is mediocre, but I can live with that.
- Now the hot topic: as expected, it has some minor bleed areas around the frame (which I consider acceptable) but unfortunately there's MASSIVE bleeding on the two right corners (especially the bottom one).

I paid 809€ (~$918.35) for this display, so this is a bad joke alright. I can't believe the balls of these scumbags at ASUS... how can this garbage pass QC?

Here's a picture (very low quality but it shows the issue clearly, exactly as I can see it with my own eyes):



If all four corners were like the top left one, it would be pretty good, I'd say 99% perfect. But man that bottom right... I played a movie with black bars (2.35:1 AR) and it made me feel sick.

I have my first RMA coming tomorrow morning, it will be interesting to get the chance to A/B a couple of them.

EDIT: Here's the display uniformity, pretty bad alright:

Link for full size picture:

http://i765.photobucket.com/albums/xx293/EXPERIMENTONGOD/uniformity%20ASUS.png


Quoting myself for context.

My first RMA arrived, as expected, another pile of junk. Everything except the backlight bleed is the same, so let's sum up BLB:

- Bottom left corner: some minor bleed to the left of the frame, I'd say acceptable
- Bottom right corner: more glow than the left one, so we have quite an amount of bleed there, not acceptable
- Top left corner: perfectly fine; no bleed whatsoever (as it was on sample #1)
- Top right corner: this is the real deal breaker, this one is bleeding like a stuck pig, this time around I can get rid of the bleed by pressing on the corner of the bezel, so this is pretty much an assembly defect

It's kind of fun, let's go for a 3rd one shall we (already requested another replacement to Amazon.es). I'll give it a week, if the next 2-3 RMAs are garbage I'll try my luck with the Acer XB Predator XB271HU.

Let me say it again, this is a goddamn 809€ display, I'm not sure why these clowns think I'm going to put up with such terrible quality control.

Picture:


Edited by EXPERIMENTONGOD - 6/8/16 at 5:54am
post #8397 of 9407
All 279Q are so, more or less, glow and bleeding on the right side, the left side it's almost always better... yours is not bad (although the previous one), I would keep!
post #8398 of 9407
Hello new here so here is my monitors 1st one at the bottom and just got the second one yesterday. I know my photos are over exposed but you get the picture. First one was march 2016 and the 2nd is october 2015 and apparently the 2nd is not new because there is a new serial number on top off the old one. going rma this one too and hope for better one. This 2nd monitor has pretty clear difference on white bottom half is okay but top half is piss yellow not acceptable.


post #8399 of 9407
Quote:
Originally Posted by biibaa View Post

Hello new here so here is my monitors 1st one at the bottom and just got the second one yesterday. I know my photos are over exposed but you get the picture. First one was march 2016 and the 2nd is october 2015 and apparently the 2nd is not new because there is a new serial number on top off the old one. going rma this one too and hope for better one. This 2nd monitor has pretty clear difference on white bottom half is okay but top half is piss yellow not acceptable.



Yeah, bad color uniformity is very common with the PG279Q. I strongly recommend the XB271HU, it's not perfect either but the color defects are not nearly as obvious as on the Asus, and it generally suffers from less BLB too.
post #8400 of 9407
Quote:
Originally Posted by EXPERIMENTONGOD View Post

Quoting myself for context.

My first RMA arrived, as expected, another pile of junk. Everything except the backlight bleed is the same, so let's sum up BLB:

- Bottom left corner: some minor bleed to the left of the frame, I'd say acceptable
- Bottom right corner: more glow than the left one, so we have quite an amount of bleed there, not acceptable
- Top left corner: perfectly fine; no bleed whatsoever (as it was on sample #1)
- Top right corner: this is the real deal breaker, this one is bleeding like a stuck pig, this time around I can get rid of the bleed by pressing on the corner of the bezel, so this is pretty much an assembly defect

It's kind of fun, let's go for a 3rd one shall we (already requested another replacement to Amazon.es). I'll give it a week, if the next 2-3 RMAs are garbage I'll try my luck with the Acer XB Predator XB271HU.

Let me say it again, this is a goddamn 809€ display, I'm not sure why these clowns think I'm going to put up with such terrible quality control.

Picture:


I just received my second replacement (sample #3).

Wow guys, just wow...

This time the box has a "QC Passed" sticker on it, so I guess Asus likes to troll their customers!

The moment I turned it on it was obvious that it's just a broken mess, the top right corner is just utter garbage, the bleed is INSANE (the picture doesn't do it justice, believe me it's FUBAR, way worse than sample #2).

I performed further inspection just for giggles, and to top it off it has a speck of dust under the screen on the bottom left corner (!).

So it looks like Asus is a no go. I just ordered the Acer XB271HU. It arrives on Tuesday so I will be able to fit in a couple more RMAs in there.

Man I tell you, the sticker thing is just unprofessional and downright disrespectful. These scumbags have no decency at all. This is NOT a premium panel, sorry guys, you're being conned here alright.

Picture:


Edited by EXPERIMENTONGOD - 6/9/16 at 9:00pm
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Monitors and Displays
Overclock.net › Forums › Components › Monitors and Displays › [Various] ASUS debuts ROG SWIFT PG279Q 144hz IPS and G-SYNC