Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 390/390X Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 390/390X Owners Club - Page 378

post #3771 of 11961
Quote:
Originally Posted by kubiks View Post

They weren't listed on modmymods when I purchased them. Thank for the concern though

Ah, I ordered mine yesterday. Was waiting for a US retailer to have them. Hopefully they work great, looks like no active VRM cooling on them but no other choices at the moment.
post #3772 of 11961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

Ah, I ordered mine yesterday. Was waiting for a US retailer to have them. Hopefully they work great, looks like no active VRM cooling on them but no other choices at the moment.

Well, if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say they would be just fine. Yes, the VRMs may not be receiving water to cool them, but that's a humongous heatsink. Think about it, it's about the size of the stock heatsink for many cards. As long as your case airflow is ok, I wouldn't expect your VRMs to hit more than 60-70C, even when overclocking. Not to mention that you're gonna get at least some passive heat transfer from the heatsink to the water that passes through the GPU block.

I don't like how these Alphacool blocks look and they aren't as elegant a solution as a full cover block, but they are genius. They perform really well from what I've seen and don't cost an arm and a leg. I will surely have them on my list when/if I make a custom loop. If they could make them a little better looking, I wouldn't consider anything else as long as my budget is limited. Especially that backplate... I'd try to find a way to use my cards stock one.
post #3773 of 11961
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolis626 View Post

Well, if I had to hazard a guess, I'd say they would be just fine. Yes, the VRMs may not be receiving water to cool them, but that's a humongous heatsink. Think about it, it's about the size of the stock heatsink for many cards. As long as your case airflow is ok, I wouldn't expect your VRMs to hit more than 60-70C, even when overclocking. Not to mention that you're gonna get at least some passive heat transfer from the heatsink to the water that passes through the GPU block.

I don't like how these Alphacool blocks look and they aren't as elegant a solution as a full cover block, but they are genius. They perform really well from what I've seen and don't cost an arm and a leg. I will surely have them on my list when/if I make a custom loop. If they could make them a little better looking, I wouldn't consider anything else as long as my budget is limited. Especially that backplate... I'd try to find a way to use my cards stock one.

The VRM on these things get very, very hot even with direct airflow. Hawaii is notorious for hot VRM's and I've had enough of them on water to not be very hopeful. I had some of the early EK 290X blocks that passively cooled the VRM and with even a mild overclock I was seeing 100C+. I'll withhold my judgement until I see it in action but I'm not super optimistic.
post #3774 of 11961
post #3775 of 11961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

The VRM on these things get very, very hot even with direct airflow. Hawaii is notorious for hot VRM's and I've had enough of them on water to not be very hopeful. I had some of the early EK 290X blocks that passively cooled the VRM and with even a mild overclock I was seeing 100C+. I'll withhold my judgement until I see it in action but I'm not super optimistic.

EK Full waterblocks on hawaiis? they are better than other brands, VRMs are cooler than the core at any oc as a matter of fact.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3776 of 11961
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

EK Full waterblocks on hawaiis? they are better than other brands, VRMs are cooler than the core at any oc as a matter of fact.

The first gen EK blocks (back in 2013 when Hawaii came out) only cooled the core. There was no VRM channel like there is now. With only the passive properties of the block and no airflow things got very hot. I tried those and some other ones, I think they were Koolance, that had the same problem.
post #3777 of 11961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

The first gen EK blocks (back in 2013 when Hawaii came out) only cooled the core. There was no VRM channel like there is now. With only the passive properties of the block and no airflow things got very hot. I tried those and some other ones, I think they were Koolance, that had the same problem.

i bought mine at launch. i was one of the first members of the club. i watercooled mine after a week on air.
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
Second Intel Rig
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
2700 4.5/ 1.28 77 1050 16 / 1866 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
1000 212 10 64 32 1080 
PowerCase
700 912 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3778 of 11961
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdr09 View Post

i bought mine at launch. i was one of the first members of the club. i watercooled mine after a week on air.

Ah yeah you're right, I looked back through my pictures of them and I had Koolance and Swiftech blocks and switched to the EK when they were available because of the high VRM1 temps. Anyways, I wasn't trying to knock EK or whatever it is you got defensive about, the point still stands that Hawaii needs adequate cooling on the power delivery parts and passive waterblocks have proven to not be great at it.
post #3779 of 11961
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scorpion49 View Post

The first gen EK blocks (back in 2013 when Hawaii came out) only cooled the core. There was no VRM channel like there is now. With only the passive properties of the block and no airflow things got very hot. I tried those and some other ones, I think they were Koolance, that had the same problem.

Even a sapphire with three fans needs cooling?

What are the average temps. of R9 390 without water cooling?
post #3780 of 11961
Quote:
Originally Posted by wickedsunny View Post

Even a sapphire with three fans needs cooling?

What are the average temps. of R9 390 without water cooling?

You've misunderstood my post I think, your sapphire card is fine.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 390/390X Owners Club