Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 390/390X Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 390/390X Owners Club - Page 396

post #3951 of 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post

They use the same chip, the only difference is, the 390 cards have better memory (they routinely clock from 1700-1750mhz). The reason they beat 290s in benches is they are being compared to reference 290s, and the 390s themselves come with high stock clocks.

Any other major discrepancy is almost certainly a software issue.

Exactly this.


Also the 290X tested is often reference which throttles anyway.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaSceptre View Post

You used the word smashed lol..

If you don't know what's causing the issue then how do you know what isn't? The fact is that i game at 1080p, and the 390x is beating the 290x by nearly 25fps (from a couple sites that I've seen), i can get my money back and get a card with 8GB of memory instead of 4. Why wouldn't i?

I just wanted to know which 390x has the best cooler.

I used the word smashed in response to your use of the word.

Show me any other modern AAA title benchmarked, were the 390X beats the 290X by 25fps. That's right, you can't and neither can I. The difference is "usually" 2-3fps at most.

If the 390X was so much better, why is the performance very similar to the 290X in every other game? better yet, why are they neck and neck at 1440p? There is clearly a software issue with the 290X at 1080p on this particular title.
Edited by BradleyW - 11/10/15 at 6:45am
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3952 of 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

I used the word smashed in response to your use of the word.

Show me any other modern AAA title benchmarked, were the 390X beats the 290X by 25fps. That's right, you can't and neither can I. The difference is "usually" 2-3fps at most.

If the 390X was so much better, why is the performance very similar to the 290X in every other game? better yet, why are they neck and neck at 1440p? There is clearly a software issue with the 290X at 1080p on this particular title.

Okay, this is getting silly now.. We're arguing about who used the word smashed first on a forum, look back a page.. You used the damn word, the end.

I never said the 390x was so much better.. What are you going on about? No one knows what the issue is, i said it might be the memory clock difference in the COD thread, i couldn't test that theory as i don't have the game, nor does my 290x clock that high.

Regardless of what is causing the problem, the 390x is beating the 290x at 1080p, my primary res, i can get a 390x at no additional cost to me and avoid the "issue" completely, i'm also guaranteed it won't happen in other games too. While also getting 8 Gigs of Vram to boot.

Now, does anyone know which 390x has the best cooler? lachen.gif
Edited by GorillaSceptre - 11/10/15 at 7:27am
post #3953 of 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaSceptre View Post

Okay, this is getting silly now.. We're arguing about who used the word smashed first on a forum, look back a page.. You used the damn word, the end.

I never said the 390x was so much better.. What are you going on about? No one knows what the issue is, i said it might be the memory clock difference in the COD thread, i couldn't test that theory as i don't have the game, nor does my 290x clock that high.

Regardless of what is causing the problem, the 390x is beating the 290x at 1080p, my primary res, i can get a 390x at no additional cost to me and avoid the "issue" completely, i'm also guaranteed it won't happen in other games too. While also getting 8 Gigs of Vram to boot.

Now, does anyone know which 390x has the best cooler? lachen.gif

Where are you paying as much for a 290X as a 390X,LOL. Also, the 290X performance is a glitch, it won't remain that way.
post #3954 of 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post


Where are you paying as much for a 290X as a 390X,LOL. Also, the 290X performance is a glitch, it won't remain that way.

That's a very good point. Sums it all up.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3955 of 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Temuka View Post

What do you mean under maxing out its power limit?

In afterburner you have an option to make the GPU use excess power limit. I need to max it out to render without any artefacts with blender. Otherwise it will throttle or crash Blender.

Could be ebcause of my 4 years old 700 W psu which is drawing a lot of power.

Power Limit means, it will use extra power only if required while doing extreme things.
post #3956 of 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gumbi View Post

Where are you paying as much for a 290X as a 390X,LOL. Also, the 290X performance is a glitch, it won't remain that way.

Who said anything about paying as much? That's why it's a good deal.. Fyi, before going "LOL", stop and think for a moment that U.S prices don't represent the entire planet..

Regardless of whether or not it's a glitch, it's not affecting the 390x. So i should turn down a good deal because you say it won't remain that way? Can you also guarantee it won't happen in future titles too? I didn't ask for advice on whether or not i should keep the 290x, i asked 390x owners what cards, in their opinion, have the best cooler..
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

That's a very good point. Sums it all up.

Oh, that sums it all up does it, lmao whatever..

Both of you should check the title of this thread, it's the 390/x owners club, i don't see 290/x anywhere in there. Go defend your purchase somewhere else.

Helpful as always AMD users.. rolleyes.gif
post #3957 of 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaSceptre View Post

Who said anything about paying as much? That's why it's a good deal.. Fyi, before going "LOL", stop and think for a moment that U.S prices don't represent the entire planet..

Regardless of whether or not it's a glitch, it's not affecting the 390x. So i should turn down a good deal because you say it won't remain that way? Can you also guarantee it won't happen in future titles too? I didn't ask for advice on whether or not i should keep the 290x, i asked 390x owners what cards, in their opinion, have the best cooler..
Oh, that sums it all up does it, lmao whatever..

Both of you should check the title of this thread, it's the 390/x owners club, i don't see 290/x anywhere in there. Go defend your purchase somewhere else.

Helpful as always AMD users.. rolleyes.gif

It is not against the TOS to participate in discussion in an owners thread when one does not have the product in question within their possession.
Edited by BradleyW - 11/10/15 at 8:15am
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
post #3958 of 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by BradleyW View Post

It is not against the TOS to participate in discussion in an owners thread when one does not have the product in question within their possession.

Never said it was against TOS. I asked a question, you chose to quote my post and start an argument about the 290x vs 390x, while ignoring the main reason i made the post in the first place.. Very helpful, thanks. thumb.gif
post #3959 of 11956
I'm not from the US. GG. I can guarantee it's not going to be the norm, because they use the same core. IT'S THE SAME CARD.

The ONLY reason a 390X will provide a big boost in pefformance over a 290X (instead of nice small gains herw and there) will be if a game uses more than 4GB of VRAM.

For the record I think a 390 is a great purchase...
post #3960 of 11956
Quote:
Originally Posted by GorillaSceptre View Post

Never said it was against TOS. I asked a question, you chose to quote my post and start an argument about the 290x vs 390x, while ignoring the main reason i made the post in the first place.. Very helpful, thanks. thumb.gif

To answer your original question, the answer is the PowerColor Radeon R9 390X Devil.
My debate was based on your inaccurate and unjustified assumption that the performance on the 1080p benchmark is an accurate reflection of the 390X vs the 290X. I've explained why this is not the case on previous posts and evidence is readily available to support my argument.
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
X79-GCN
(22 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel 3930K 4.5GHz HT GIGABYTE GA-X79-UP4 AMD R9-290X GEil Evo Potenza DDR3 2400MHz CL10 (4x4GB) 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 120GB EK Supremacy (CPU) NF F12's P/P (360 Rad)  NF A14's (420 Rad)  
CoolingCoolingCoolingCooling
XSPC Chrome Compression Fittings EK RES X3 150 Primochill PremoFlex Advanced LRT Clear 1/2 ID EK-FC (R9 290X) 
CoolingCoolingCoolingOS
EK D5 Vario Top-X  Phobya G-Changer V2 360mm Phobya G-Changer V2 420mm Win 10 x64 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
BenQ XR3501 35" Curved Corsair Vengeance K90 Seasonic X-1250 Gold (v2) Corsair 900D 
MouseAudio
Logitech G400s Senn HD 598 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 390/390X Owners Club