Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 390/390X Owners Club
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

[Official] AMD R9 390/390X Owners Club - Page 575

post #5741 of 11605
redface.gif
Edited by RicoDee - 1/27/16 at 6:06am
post #5742 of 11605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synntx View Post

Welp, for those who have paid attention to my posts lately, I believe I've solved my GPU overclock issues.

I went ahead and returned the Antec HPG-850 PSU and swapped it out for an AX860. Everything is working flawlessly. i was able to push the card as far as 1220/1750 on air for benching, resulting in a ~15200 GPU score. I dropped the clocks down to 1170/1750 w/ +111mv on the core and I'm Witcher 3 stable biggrin.gif. Pulling 55-60fps minimum in 1440p, ultra settings w/ hairworks disabled. Temps max out at 80C in gaming. I was having some blue screen issues but determined my DRAM OC to be a wee bit too high, so once I fixed that it was smooth sailing.

Needless to say, I'm quite satisfied thumb.gifbiggrin.gif

The only disappointing thing I've encountered was that I updated my parts list on PCPartPicker.com to include all current hardware and nearly pooped my pants at the overall cost of the build......

EDIT: I have been paying attention to TRIXX's hardware monitor, and it's showing my VDDC Power in / Power out peaking at at 361w/310w 0_o

Well I'll be damned. That PSU must certainly have been dying, else it shouldn't be making a difference. Still, happy to see you solved this, no matter how much I dislike being wrong. tongue.gif

Also damn, that overclock. My card just doesn't want to do more than 1180MHz properly. Sure, with +150mV it will do 1200/1725MHz (maybe more) no problem, but the scores I get in Firestrike are the same or even lower than what I get for my usual overclocks. Throttling? Instability? I have no idea. It's not temps fore sure, I have the GPU fans and the adjacent case fans blasting at 100% while benching and temps peaked at what? 68C? Lower than 70C anyway. I've even tried +175mV (And was standing next to the PC, ready to press the reset button because I was scared it may overheat/die tongue.gif ) and scores were even lower (14100 plus change). That's depressing.
post #5743 of 11605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synntx View Post

Welp, for those who have paid attention to my posts lately, I believe I've solved my GPU overclock issues.

I went ahead and returned the Antec HPG-850 PSU and swapped it out for an AX860. Everything is working flawlessly. i was able to push the card as far as 1220/1750 on air for benching, resulting in a ~15200 GPU score. I dropped the clocks down to 1170/1750 w/ +111mv on the core and I'm Witcher 3 stable biggrin.gif. Pulling 55-60fps minimum in 1440p, ultra settings w/ hairworks disabled. Temps max out at 80C in gaming. I was having some blue screen issues but determined my DRAM OC to be a wee bit too high, so once I fixed that it was smooth sailing.

Needless to say, I'm quite satisfied thumb.gifbiggrin.gif

The only disappointing thing I've encountered was that I updated my parts list on PCPartPicker.com to include all current hardware and nearly pooped my pants at the overall cost of the build......

EDIT: I have been paying attention to TRIXX's hardware monitor, and it's showing my VDDC Power in / Power out peaking at at 361w/310w 0_o
Where are you testing Witcher 3 and what version do you have? I have my 390x at 1160/1750 with +81mv core and +50mv aux. I was seeing fps drops into the low 40s with everything max except hairworks. I'm calling BS because review sites report that even the 980Ti at stock boost gets around 70fps average without hairworks at 1440p. 60fps min is not possible on a 390x.
post #5744 of 11605
Did u turn foliage distance to high? Makes a big difference. I leave HW on though cause...those flowing locks
post #5745 of 11605
Quote:
Originally Posted by TsukikoChan View Post

So it was the psu then? same as me prob but i need to assess my bank balance before i can pull the trigger on a new psu :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by tolis626 View Post

Well I'll be damned. That PSU must certainly have been dying, else it shouldn't be making a difference. Still, happy to see you solved this, no matter how much I dislike being wrong. tongue.gif

Also damn, that overclock. My card just doesn't want to do more than 1180MHz properly. Sure, with +150mV it will do 1200/1725MHz (maybe more) no problem, but the scores I get in Firestrike are the same or even lower than what I get for my usual overclocks. Throttling? Instability? I have no idea. It's not temps fore sure, I have the GPU fans and the adjacent case fans blasting at 100% while benching and temps peaked at what? 68C? Lower than 70C anyway. I've even tried +175mV (And was standing next to the PC, ready to press the reset button because I was scared it may overheat/die tongue.gif ) and scores were even lower (14100 plus change). That's depressing.

I just think it was a combination of a lack of power and efficiency. I've got 2 HDD's, 3 SSD's, 8 Case fans, 2 VRM fans, an AIO, a fan controller, lighting, gaming keyboard and mouse, multiple USB devices, plus heavy overclocks on the CPU and GPU. I don't think my old PSU is dying, as it's not very old at all, and runs the system fine without overclocks, I just don't think it could keep up with demand. Yes I can manage to get through Firestrike with some pretty high overclocks, but that's all those clocks are good for; benching. I am excited to be stable at 1170/1750 for gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by afyeung View Post

Where are you testing Witcher 3 and what version do you have? I have my 390x at 1160/1750 with +81mv core and +50mv aux. I was seeing fps drops into the low 40s with everything max except hairworks. I'm calling BS because review sites report that even the 980Ti at stock boost gets around 70fps average without hairworks at 1440p. 60fps min is not possible on a 390x.

What do you mean where? I'm in my house biggrin.gif. Hairworks is disabled completely and foilage distance set to high. I also disable the blur settings because I can't stand them. Oddly enough, I see a 3-4FPS increase w/ my second monitor disabled while gaming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dundundata View Post

Did u turn foliage distance to high? Makes a big difference. I leave HW on though cause...those flowing locks

Yes, those flowing locks...........
Edited by Synntx - 1/27/16 at 10:37am
The White Sails
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320e ASUS Sabertooth 990FX r.20 Sapphire r9 390x Nitro EVGA SuperClocked DDR3 1866mhz 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Patriot Blast 120gb SSD Western Digital Red 1TB HDD OCZ Vertex 460 Samsung Evo 850 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Corsair H105 AIO Push/Pull setup Corsair SP120 Corsair AF120 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair AF140 Windows 10 Home Acer S271HLbid 60Hz 27.0" ASUS MG278q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB Corsair AX860 Corsair Air 540 Arctic White Corsair M65 RGB 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Corsair MM400 SoundBlaster Tactic Rage 3D Wireless  NZXT Hue 
  hide details  
Reply
The White Sails
(23 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD FX-8320e ASUS Sabertooth 990FX r.20 Sapphire r9 390x Nitro EVGA SuperClocked DDR3 1866mhz 16gb 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
Patriot Blast 120gb SSD Western Digital Red 1TB HDD OCZ Vertex 460 Samsung Evo 850 
Hard DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Western Digital Caviar Blue 1TB HDD Corsair H105 AIO Push/Pull setup Corsair SP120 Corsair AF120 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
Corsair AF140 Windows 10 Home Acer S271HLbid 60Hz 27.0" ASUS MG278q 
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Corsair K95 RGB Corsair AX860 Corsair Air 540 Arctic White Corsair M65 RGB 
Mouse PadAudioOther
Corsair MM400 SoundBlaster Tactic Rage 3D Wireless  NZXT Hue 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5746 of 11605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synntx View Post

What do you mean where? I'm in my house biggrin.gif. Hairworks is disabled completely and foilage distance set to high. I also disable the blur settings because I can't stand them. Oddly enough, I see a 3-4FPS increase w/ my second monitor disabled while gaming.
Yes, those flowing locks...........
I meant which part of the game lol. Still don't buy it. I'll have to test it out myself when I have time
post #5747 of 11605
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synntx View Post


I just think it was a combination of a lack of power and efficiency. I've got 2 HDD's, 3 SSD's, 8 Case fans, 2 VRM fans, an AIO, a fan controller, lighting, gaming keyboard and mouse, multiple USB devices, plus heavy overclocks on the CPU and GPU. I don't think my old PSU is dying, as it's not very old at all, and runs the system fine without overclocks, I just don't think it could keep up with demand. Yes I can manage to get through Firestrike with some pretty high overclocks, but that's all those clocks are good for; benching. I am excited to be stable at 1170/1750 for gaming.
What do you mean where? I'm in my house biggrin.gif. Hairworks is disabled completely and foilage distance set to high. I also disable the blur settings because I can't stand them. Oddly enough, I see a 3-4FPS increase w/ my second monitor disabled while gaming.
Nah, it's surely not pushing 800W. My system is similar and I've seen about 550W peaks, but never sustained wattage over 500W. I'd say that PSU is done for. Or it's really bad quality and its 12V is crapping itself when too much wattage is pulled through it, which is all the same.

Regarding your FireStrike scores, I think maybe it's because you have a Sapphire card, and those have 2x8-pin power. The MSI with its 8+6-pin may be power-throttling at those higher clocks. Either that, or there's something wrong in my setup. I'd appreciate if someone with an MSI 390x could post benches at very high overclocks with high (>+100mV) voltages.
Quote:
Originally Posted by afyeung View Post

I meant which part of the game lol. Still don't buy it. I'll have to test it out myself when I have time

I don't know if the 60FPS claim is true, as I haven't tested myself, but it's not unrealistic either. My rig is pushing 40-50FPS with Hairworks enabled (Albeit at a low preset without much AA for it) at 1440p when in the wilds, out of White Orchard (Or whatever the village in the first quest is called, I haven't really played the game yet). I'd guess disabling Hairworks will land me in the 60s. Foliage distance does have a big impact on performance, but not on image quality.
post #5748 of 11605
I agree that PSU must've been dying, My HCG 750w was able to run CFX 290x until recently
I need to pickup one of those EVGA 1300 g2
FX Klasse
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8350 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 MSI R9 290X Lightning MSI R9 290X Lightning 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair  Corsair  g.skill sniper gaming series 16gb 2400mhz ddr3 WD 1 TB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD 320 GB OCZ vertex 3 64GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Seagate 250 GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX300 525 GB Samsung SH-S223L Cooler Master Glacer 240l Windows 8.1 Pro N 64 bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit AOC 2462w Lenovo L2261wA Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCG 750 Rosewill Future corsair vengeance m65 Turtle Beach Montego DDL 
Other
Altec Lansing ADA 995 
  hide details  
Reply
FX Klasse
(25 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsGraphics
AMD FX 8350 SABERTOOTH 990FX R2.0 MSI R9 290X Lightning MSI R9 290X Lightning 
RAMRAMRAMHard Drive
Corsair  Corsair  g.skill sniper gaming series 16gb 2400mhz ddr3 WD 1 TB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
WD 320 GB OCZ vertex 3 64GB Samsung 840 Pro 128GB Seagate 250 GB  
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
Crucial MX300 525 GB Samsung SH-S223L Cooler Master Glacer 240l Windows 8.1 Pro N 64 bit 
OSMonitorMonitorKeyboard
Windows 10 Pro 64 bit AOC 2462w Lenovo L2261wA Razer Lycosa 
PowerCaseMouseAudio
Antec HCG 750 Rosewill Future corsair vengeance m65 Turtle Beach Montego DDL 
Other
Altec Lansing ADA 995 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5749 of 11605
Quote:
Originally Posted by diggiddi View Post

I agree that PSU must've been dying, My HCG 750w was able to run CFX 290x until recently
I need to pickup one of those EVGA 1300 g2

Well, the 1300G2 is awesome, as long as you don't mind the noise at idle. Really, I've never heard it ramp up or be really noisy, but at idle it's the only thing audible in my system and that sucks. I'd also look at something like the 1200P2, 1000G2 (quieter than the 1300G2 for some reason) or 1000P2. But EVGA all the way for me.

Other than that, I just tested the Witcher a bit. 1440p, Hairworks off, foliage distance at high and I had my card at 1175/1725MHz with +100mV. I was seeing about 55fps average. FRAPS reported an average of 73FPS, but I forgot to turn the benchmark off and it also recorded for a few seconds while I was in the menu, with FPS well in the 2000 range, so I guess these results are useless. What's concerning is that my card hit 83C in no time and it started artifacting like there's no tomorrow. Damn, I gotta change that thermal paste... Maybe I'll just apply some of the MX4 I have lying around and be done with it.
post #5750 of 11605
Quote:
Originally Posted by afyeung View Post

Where are you testing Witcher 3 and what version do you have? I have my 390x at 1160/1750 with +81mv core and +50mv aux. I was seeing fps drops into the low 40s with everything max except hairworks. I'm calling BS because review sites report that even the 980Ti at stock boost gets around 70fps average without hairworks at 1440p. 60fps min is not possible on a 390x.

You do realize the difference between an OC'd 390x and a 980ti aren't very much right? 75fps on 980ti and 60fps on a 390x actually sounds about right on. That's about 20% roughly (not pulling out the calculator for this sorry).
     
Reply
     
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › [Official] AMD R9 390/390X Owners Club