Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Modded R9 390X BIOS for R9 290/290X (Updated 02/16/2016)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Modded R9 390X BIOS for R9 290/290X (Updated 02/16/2016) - Page 17

post #161 of 1872
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster Gates View Post

Oh man, I uploaded the wrong file for the Elpida then biggrin.gif:D. The only thing I changed in order for the card to boot up was the PCI ID inside the bios hex. I'll update the file again. Sorry.

*Edit: File updated, open the bios in hex and search for the following hex value: B1 67, the original one was B0 67, which is from the 290x, some motherboards won't boot up the device if a mismatched PCI is detected (something like that).

Ah I see, so you just fixed the mis-matched ID's for the R9 290 version of the BIOS. In that case, thank you so much! Mind if I replace the R9 290 BIOS files in the main package with these that you have created? With credit to you of course.

- Insan1tyOne biggrin.gif
Edited by Insan1tyOne - 7/30/15 at 6:14am
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #162 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

Ah I see, so you just fixed the mis-matched ID's for the R9 290 version of the BIOS. In that case, thank you so much! Mind if I replace the R9 290 BIOS files in the main package with these that you have created?

- Insan1tyOne biggrin.gif

Sure, no problem. Go ahead.
Edited by Synyster Gates - 7/30/15 at 6:24am
post #163 of 1872
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Synyster Gates View Post

Sure, no problem. Go ahead.

And... Done.

- Insan1tyOne smile.gif
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #164 of 1872
Is it possible to apply the Tighter Samsung Memory timings in a stock 290X Lightning ROM..?
post #165 of 1872
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt123 View Post

Is it possible to apply the Tighter Samsung Memory timings in a stock 290X Lightning ROM..?

No tighter memory timings for Samsung memory modules have been created. Samsung memory modules are already the "cream of the crop" if you will and can usually reach much higher timings than any Hynix or Elpida modules anyways.

- Insan1tyOne smile.gif
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #166 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

No tighter memory timings for Samsung memory modules have been created. Samsung memory modules are already the "cream of the crop" if you will and can usually reach much higher timings than any Hynix or Elpida modules anyways.

- Insan1tyOne smile.gif

That's what I had been thinking.
But then what improvements did your custom BIOS for the Lightning do over the regular BIOS.? I saw on the last page that another user noticed a slight boost in Firestrike. Where does that come from, if you don't mind me asking. redface.gif
post #167 of 1872
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt123 View Post

That's what I had been thinking.
But then what improvements did your custom BIOS for the Lightning do over the regular BIOS.? I saw on the last page that another user noticed a slight boost in Firestrike. Where does that come from, if you don't mind me asking. redface.gif

No worries! That is actually a very good question. As for the slight performance increases, I am not sure that there is a "definitive" answer to that question at the moment. I can only assume that this BIOS causes the R9 290/290X to perform better based on the various improvements and refinements that AMD has made to the R9 290/290X PCB and other components associated with it before re-releasing it as the R9 390/390X.

The R9 290/290X released in October of 2013 and the R9 390/390X released in June of 2015. That is around 20 months of time to work on the polish for the R9 290/290X to be re-released as the R9 390/390X. So I am just standing by my assumption that all of the BIOS updates, firmware updates and PCB revisions over that time allowed this latest R9 390X BIOS to be created that squeezes out just a bit more performance from the older 200 series cards.

But other noteworthy upgrades that my BIOS offers are things like a tweaked voltage table with significantly lower idle voltages which results in much lower idle temperatures and power consumption.

- Insan1tyOne smile.gif
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
MiniNova
(16 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Xeon E5 2637 V3 Asrock X99E-ITX/ac Zotac GTX 1080 AMP! 16GB Mushkin Enhanced Blackline @ 2133mhz 
Hard DriveHard DriveCoolingOS
Samsung 850 Evo M.2 250GB WD Caviar Black 2TB Corsair H100i GTX Windows 10 Education Edition 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
LG 34UM95-P ErgoDox EZ EVGA G1 1000W Phanteks Enthoo Evolv ITX 
MouseMouse PadAudioAudio
Steelseries Sensei Steelseries 4HD Beyerdynamic T5p Headphones Schiit Mjolnir 2 Amp / Gungnir USB Gen. 2 DAC 
  hide details  
Reply
post #168 of 1872
Tempted to give this a go on my spare card. Haven't flashed an AMD card for a couple of years (currently using GTX970), is it still possible to do it from within windows with ATIWinFlash and using command prompt? Also which BIOS is best to use with an MSI 290 Gaming? Any help appreciated, thanks!
Gaming PC
(10 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel 4790k Gigabyte Z97M-D3H MSI R9 290 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX 250GB BX100 Crucial SSD Cryorig R1 Ultimate Windows 10 
PowerCase
Superflower 550w Gold Phanteks Evolv MATX 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(10 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel 4790k Gigabyte Z97M-D3H MSI R9 290 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX 250GB BX100 Crucial SSD Cryorig R1 Ultimate Windows 10 
PowerCase
Superflower 550w Gold Phanteks Evolv MATX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #169 of 1872
Quote:
Originally Posted by Insan1tyOne View Post

No worries! That is actually a very good question. As for the slight performance increases, I am not sure that there is a "definitive" answer to that question at the moment. I can only assume that this BIOS causes the R9 290/290X to perform better based on the various improvements and refinements that AMD has made to the R9 290/290X PCB and other components associated with it before re-releasing it as the R9 390/390X.

The R9 290/290X released in October of 2013 and the R9 390/390X released in June of 2015. That is around 20 months of time to work on the polish for the R9 290/290X to be re-released as the R9 390/390X. So I am just standing by my assumption that all of the BIOS updates, firmware updates and PCB revisions over that time allowed this latest R9 390X BIOS to be created that squeezes out just a bit more performance from the older 200 series cards.

But other noteworthy upgrades that my BIOS offers are things like a tweaked voltage table with significantly lower idle voltages which results in much lower idle temperatures and power consumption.

- Insan1tyOne smile.gif

Thanks for the explanation.
+ Rep.
post #170 of 1872
Wit the new BIOS for 290 with Samsung ram i See bootpromp etc and Windows Logo but then black screen. In the 1.5 BIOS i has black screen until i was in Windows. Any idea? smile.gif
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Modded R9 390X BIOS for R9 290/290X (Updated 02/16/2016)