Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Modded R9 390X BIOS for R9 290/290X (Updated 02/16/2016)
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Modded R9 390X BIOS for R9 290/290X (Updated 02/16/2016) - Page 165

post #1641 of 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgnex View Post

I would like to know as well. I am under water so voltages arent as much of a concern..

Frpm another thread:
Quote:
Originally Posted by mus1mus View Post

Sapphire Trixxx allows +200
Grab HIS iTurbo for +400 here:

Be careful.

If you can't get past a certain Voltage level, means the rom is Voltage Locked. We can unlock that for you. Head up Hawaii BIOS Editting thread.

HIS iTurbo
Quote:
post #1642 of 2010



I modded an asus r9-390x bios in order to work with asus r9-290dcii and 290xdcii gpus.

Applied mods:
-Added BBBG elpida rams info table + stilt values. Correct info is showed now on gpu-z too.
-Corrected vram size and density.
-OC'ed to 1100/1300Mhz with fixed DPM values which set VDDC ~1.2V stable under load. +38mV on VDDC and +31mV on VDDCI are applied. These values are restored to 0 if you reset any settings applied by using any overclocking tool (msi ab, trixx, iturbo etc) but it will immediate lead to driver crash. Restore clocks manually and leave VDDC and VDDCI values to as written above. Expect around 13.2k graphics score on firestrike 1.1.
-Device ID and sub-vendor should be displayed correctly now on Asus r9-290dcii and Asus r9-290x dcii gpus. 1002-67B1/0 for asus r9290/x dcii respectively.
-Would be cautious if i was using it with the stock cooler.


Why to use this bios? Does not produce memory errors (as other bios do) and according to my gpu perfromance runs better with less heat on higher core clocks without artifacts/glitches.
As usual, do not blame me if this bios burn/destroy your gpu, test it on your own responsibility.
Credits should go to the starters of these mods, not to me. Click for ASUS R9-290 DCII (Click to show) Click for ASUS R9-290X DCII (Click to show) The base file used: ASUS_R9390X. Just for reference purposes do not flash it to your r9-290(x) gpu (Click to show)
Edited by melodystyle2003 - 7/7/16 at 2:51pm
post #1643 of 2010
Picked up a Sapphire 290X 8GB Vapor-X for cheap (was far from impressed with the RX480 I got last week), just waiting for it to be delivered.

Is this card flashable with a 390X BIOS? I had trouble getting any of them to work on my old MSI 290 Gaming a year ago so not sure if anything has changed since then.
Gaming PC
(10 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel 4790k Gigabyte Z97M-D3H MSI R9 290 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX 250GB BX100 Crucial SSD Cryorig R1 Ultimate Windows 10 
PowerCase
Superflower 550w Gold Phanteks Evolv MATX 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(10 items)
 
  
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
Intel 4790k Gigabyte Z97M-D3H MSI R9 290 Gaming 
RAMHard DriveCoolingOS
8GB DDR3 Kingston HyperX 250GB BX100 Crucial SSD Cryorig R1 Ultimate Windows 10 
PowerCase
Superflower 550w Gold Phanteks Evolv MATX 
  hide details  
Reply
post #1644 of 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by SouthEastBlue View Post

Picked up a Sapphire 290X 8GB Vapor-X for cheap (was far from impressed with the RX480 I got last week), just waiting for it to be delivered.

Is this card flashable with a 390X BIOS? I had trouble getting any of them to work on my old MSI 290 Gaming a year ago so not sure if anything has changed since then.
I believe that the 390x BIOS are designed for reference PCB 290x cards.
post #1645 of 2010
Hi melodystyle2003, i have a problem with your r9 390x bios, i can't exceed 1.225v volt even if i put +200mv offset (max 1.231V) ...
i have the same problem with gungstar r9 390x bios, i don't know why, i'm actually lost, i can't play or overclock with only 1.225V ... i think something in my card lock the vddc at 1.225v, i don't have the problem with insanity bios but it get too hot and perform lower, sometimes it work i can exceed 1.225V i did a benchmark when it worked ( http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13079711 ) don't know why but sometimes it work ...

Maybe cause of ID of my card, something have memorize 1.225V for this ID, look on this benchmark i had no id it was bugued, i already tried to delete/reset all gpu utilitary and i already try to change voltage in hawaii bios reader and delete 1.225V value for try but nothing work frown.gif
Edited by Samuris - 7/10/16 at 3:48am
post #1646 of 2010
@Samuris what gpu do you own and which bios have you tried? As it is stated multiple times, prior flashing different bios you should a) restore radeon settings to original, b) remove any profile created with overclocking tools and c) it is much recommended to uninstall amd drivers with DDU tool, on restart to flash the new bios and then to reinstall new drivers followed by a system restart.
post #1647 of 2010
@melodystyle2003 i tried the Asusr9390x_moddedfor_asusr9290dcii.rom, i have two card i already have 390 bios for my r9 290 trix who worked and now i want a 390x bios for my amd r9 290 4gb gddr5 with elpida memory, and i already did all of this, uninstall crimson driver with ddu, flash on the second bios and uninstall overclocking tools and their regedit registry but nothing work it locked at 1.225V for ever frown.gif

Maybe asus bios on non-asus card make the card lock to 1.225v no ? look with asus overclocking utility you can change the voltage only if you have asus card, if u have'nt you can only change memory and core frequence.

all my r9 390x bios was asus bios by gungstar and by u
Edited by Samuris - 7/10/16 at 7:10pm
post #1648 of 2010
I got a 290 (none-x), the very first revision that could be unlocked to 290x via bios.

Now i tried this 390x mod version 290X_ELPIDA_MOD_V1.8 ( elpida chips btw.)

So far, so good.

I did a firestrike test and I hit 11547

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13114150

What i would like to know is that, how much more can I push this card in terms of overclock.

Currently via the radeon software my core is 1050(default 1000) ram 1290(default 1250) and power put on 50%

If we take into account the real default from 290 none x the card is published with, it would be 947 / 1250 if im not mistaken?


So how far can I push this card, and what would be the best way to do it, I'm not able to touch any voltage but if I could which one should i try? via the external softwares out there.

I'm on custom water for CPU,GPU,RAM,MOS/CHIPS its all covered in water, so basically I should be able to push it a bit more correct? MAX GPU load temps around 50ish celcius
post #1649 of 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Samuris View Post

@melodystyle2003 i tried the Asusr9390x_moddedfor_asusr9290dcii.rom, i have two card i already have 390 bios for my r9 290 trix who worked and now i want a 390x bios for my amd r9 290 4gb gddr5 with elpida memory, and i already did all of this, uninstall crimson driver with ddu, flash on the second bios and uninstall overclocking tools and their regedit registry but nothing work it locked at 1.225V for ever frown.gif

Maybe asus bios on non-asus card make the card lock to 1.225v no ? look with asus overclocking utility you can change the voltage only if you have asus card, if u have'nt you can only change memory and core frequence.

all my r9 390x bios was asus bios by gungstar and by u
What brand is your gpu? Do you have the original bios of it? If yes upload it here if you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazer View Post

I got a 290 (none-x), the very first revision that could be unlocked to 290x via bios.

Now i tried this 390x mod version 290X_ELPIDA_MOD_V1.8 ( elpida chips btw.)

So far, so good.

I did a firestrike test and I hit 11547

http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/13114150

What i would like to know is that, how much more can I push this card in terms of overclock.

Currently via the radeon software my core is 1050(default 1000) ram 1290(default 1250) and power put on 50%

If we take into account the real default from 290 none x the card is published with, it would be 947 / 1250 if im not mistaken?


So how far can I push this card, and what would be the best way to do it, I'm not able to touch any voltage but if I could which one should i try? via the external softwares out there.

I'm on custom water for CPU,GPU,RAM,MOS/CHIPS its all covered in water, so basically I should be able to push it a bit more correct? MAX GPU load temps around 50ish celcius
A good tool to try is the one made by HIS, called iTurbo. I would suggest to stay under 1.25V on 3D load for 24/7 since you are full watercooled. Now how is that voltage translated to core clock and performance you have to try it out, that is the magic of the overclocking thumb.gif .
p.s. 1.25V under load maybe requires +180mV offset or more. Keep in mind that the sweet voltage spot for everyday gpu use may be lower, since from one point and upwards the core requires a lot of voltage for being stable. Check that temperatures are under control and let the oc journey begin.
Edited by melodystyle2003 - 7/11/16 at 5:24am
post #1650 of 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by melodystyle2003 View Post

What brand is your gpu? Do you have the original bios of it? If yes upload it here if you like.
A good tool to try is the one made by HIS, called iTurbo. I would suggest to stay under 1.25V on 3D load for 24/7 since you are full watercooled. Now how is that voltage translated to core clock and performance you have to try it out, that is the magic of the overclocking thumb.gif .
p.s. 1.25V under load maybe requires +180mV offset or more. Keep in mind that the sweet voltage spot for everyday gpu use may be lower, since from one point and upwards the core requires a lot of voltage for being stable. Check that temperatures are under control and let the oc journey begin.

Thanks for the quick reply but where do i see the 1.x voltage and how much its actually using and adjust it?. I never tried this app.

I only got VDDC Offset = 37mv and VDDCI 1031 MV

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: AMD/ATI
Overclock.net › Forums › Graphics Cards › AMD/ATI › Modded R9 390X BIOS for R9 290/290X (Updated 02/16/2016)