I have several doubts about this topic. I read dozens of pages from this post, but I need some help to understand the advantages of this bios mod. I own a Sapphire 290X 8Gb Tri-X new edition (6VRM) with high stock clocks (1020 / 1375) that can go 1130 / 1450 on stock voltage, and I am interested in modding it to a 390X 8Gb.
- This bios mod applies a new voltage & powerplay tables (with lower idle voltages) and some tweaks to memory (better latency & memory straps). What other mods are done to bios?
- Do memory straps improve overclockability of the memory? Can my Elpida memories go ahead 1500 with a new memory strap @1500Mhz with more relaxed timmings? (my bios only has 1375mhz strap on it)
- Increasing the vcore helps to overclock memories? (more stability for memory controller i supose). What is the default R9 390x load voltage?
- If I mod the card, a new voltage table is installed, and lower idle vcore is applied and higher vcore under load, right? (compared to a default 290X. My card runs at 1.25v under load @ 1130Mhz)
- To summarize, ¿what are the main improvements achieved with a bios flash? ¿Are new functionalities or optimizations enabled on drivers when flashing to a R390?
Sorry for this bunch of questions, but I am trying to understand this new card, and reading pages and pages doesn't help. Thanks in advance guys. This forum is amazing