Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › ASUS North America - ASUS Z170 Motherboards Q&A Thread
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

ASUS North America - ASUS Z170 Motherboards Q&A Thread - Page 473

post #4721 of 5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Praz View Post

Hello

Run the calibration for the fan.
Ha! Sounds even easier than I imagined.

That's very cool. Unfortunately, it raised it even more! Now the minimum is over 70%! I don't really understand that, since it did get it to start fine when it was set at 60%. But I can't complain, because it must know what it's doing.

I'll have to figure out something else, because this is a very large fan (140mm) that's too noisy at 70%. (Ok, it's barely audible, but I'm picky).

Anyway, many thanks for the super fast answer.
post #4722 of 5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Whatanoob View Post

Ha! Sounds even easier than I imagined.

That's very cool. Unfortunately, it raised it even more! Now the minimum is over 70%! I don't really understand that, since it did get it to start fine when it was set at 60%. But I can't complain, because it must know what it's doing.

I'll have to figure out something else, because this is a very large fan (140mm) that's too noisy at 70%. (Ok, it's barely audible, but I'm picky).

Anyway, many thanks for the super fast answer.

I wouldn't know what to say either I guess...

Among the Asus Z170 boards I have is the Hero Alpha... when I have a 4 pin fan on a header and set it to PWM and use manual... I am given a choice of 3 different settings to change. Minimum (I forget the middle one) and Max. If you aren't getting those... then something is definitely off. To be clear... you should be able to set 3 different temps with a fan speed % for each temp.

Outside of your fan being 3 pin or having a faulty pwm wire... I don't know... I also don't remember if the DC option has the same manual controls because all the fans I have are PWM and currently my Asus systems are off line due to project rebuild syndrome...

*edited* because pwn and pwm are not the same thing *.*
post #4723 of 5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Digitalwolf View Post

Among the Asus Z170 boards I have is the Hero Alpha... when I have a 4 pin fan on a header and set it to PWM and use manual... I am given a choice of 3 different settings to change. Minimum (I forget the middle one) and Max. If you aren't getting those... then something is definitely off. To be clear... you should be able to set 3 different temps with a fan speed % for each temp.
Thanks! I'll have to look closer at what's available there.

I've been using the F6 (IIRC -- it's off ATM) Q-fan configuration, which shows a graphical representation of the settings, and lets you change things there. I didn't even know about the other way until Praz mentioned calibration, so a little digging turned up the stuff under the Monitor menu (of course! biggrin.gif).

So maybe if I fool around with those monitor settings, I can change it the way I want. Otherwise I can try down-volting it from 12V to 9V; that might do the trick as well.
post #4724 of 5783
Why is fanexpert not working as it should ? I have 5x PWM Gentle Typhoons, hooked up to the ASUS Z170-A with pwm slitters, have chosen fixed rpm, but whenever i run a stress test or whatever fans ramp up and down however they please ? Making PWM fans and the software kind of useless
post #4725 of 5783
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by outofmyheadyo View Post

Why is fanexpert not working as it should ? I have 5x PWM Gentle Typhoons, hooked up to the ASUS Z170-A with pwm slitters, have chosen fixed rpm, but whenever i run a stress test or whatever fans ramp up and down however they please ? Making PWM fans and the software kind of useless

Might be the splitter. Try a single fan and see if it still happens. If it doesn't, the following could be the cause:

1) The fans aren't Intel PWM spec compliant.
2) Could be an issue with how the splitter connects the fans.

Would also make sure the headr the fans are connected to (if not the primary CPU), is set for PWM control in UEFI.
post #4726 of 5783
I have a Maximus VIII hero and just finished building a new system. Couple issues I've been having...

The AI Suite 3 locks up/bogs down all the time. It's almost like a super lag with input delay. It'll work fine for a little while then start doing this then it'll be fine for awhile etc. Anyone else have that issue? I'm running latest bios, latest AI suite, and windows 10 64bit.

Also system is randomly shutting down a few times a day, no blue screen just instant power off followed by it booting itself back up. Exactly as if someone hit the reset button. Could the motherboard be causing this? Ironically a few times it's happened were right after I had been in the AI Suite (but never changed anything). This happens under low load conditions, it's not a load issue. System is not overclocked, yet one of the times it shut down it got stuck on the reboot with a Q code 41, which isn't in the manual, and required a cold boot that gave me a screen saying overclock failed and prompted me to enter bios.

And lastly, the boot time seems longer to me then it should be. Windows loads really fast, but from the time I hit the power to when the system displays the splash screen is long and then waiting for the splash screen isn't very fast either. It's not crazy slow like a minute or anything, but longer than I'd expect, especially before the system beeps and brings me to the mobo splash screen. Post delay is set to 0. Fast boot is enabled. CSM is disabled, windows is in uefi mode. What am I missing? It's like the series of checks it runs is very slow.

So far really not impressed
Hellbringer
(15 items)
 
Guardian
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz 14-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD WD Black 2TB 7200RPM SATAIII HDD ASUS Zen OpticalDrive USB G.Skill Turbulence II RAM Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung BX2350 23" 1080p 2ms LED backlit S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseAudio
Thermaltake Core P5 Open-Air Chassis Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 The Infection Logitech Z5500 5.1 Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
Hellbringer
(15 items)
 
Guardian
(9 items)
 
 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i7-6700K Skylake ASUS MAXIMUS VIII HERO SAPPHIRE 100311-2SR Radeon HD 6970 2GB GDDR5 G.SKILL Trident Z 16GB (2x8GB) DDR4 3200MHz 14-... 
Hard DriveHard DriveOptical DriveCooling
Samsung 950 Pro 512GB PCIe M.2 SSD WD Black 2TB 7200RPM SATAIII HDD ASUS Zen OpticalDrive USB G.Skill Turbulence II RAM Fan 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Home Premium 64-bit Samsung BX2350 23" 1080p 2ms LED backlit S.T.R.I.K.E. 7 EVGA SuperNova G2 1000W Modular Power Supply 
CaseMouseAudio
Thermaltake Core P5 Open-Air Chassis Saitek Cyborg R.A.T. 7 The Infection Logitech Z5500 5.1 Surround 
  hide details  
Reply
post #4727 of 5783
If you have allowed AI Suite to OC your HW than this is your answer. It is just unstable OC. I would not install AI Suite anyway it can cause high latency and does not offer anything good maybe other then easier fan control utility but that can be done like everything else in the BIOS.
post #4728 of 5783
@Raja@ASUS
Is adaptive voltage broke for the Maximus hero viii? I previously had it working perfectly but now using the 1701 bios its behavior is erratic. Currently I have it set to 1.375 with a positive offset of 0.002V. This yields the voltage of 1.424V that I am aiming for. However when I input 1.4V with a positive offset of .02V the voltage skyrockets to 1.5+V. I've dealt with adaptive voltage in the past but never experienced anything like this. Changing bios and doing clcmos didn't help. Any advice?


Always destroying exergy
post #4729 of 5783
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle1721 View Post

@Raja@ASUS
Is adaptive voltage broke for the Maximus hero viii? I previously had it working perfectly but now using the 1701 bios its behavior is erratic. Currently I have it set to 1.375 with a positive offset of 0.002V. This yields the voltage of 1.424V that I am aiming for. However when I input 1.4V with a positive offset of .02V the voltage skyrockets to 1.5+V. I've dealt with adaptive voltage in the past but never experienced anything like this. Changing bios and doing clcmos didn't help. Any advice?


Always destroying exergy

Try without the offset and see if it gives you what you set. I usually don't use an offset with adaptive - no need for me to do so.
post #4730 of 5783
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raja@ASUS View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by superkyle1721 View Post

@Raja@ASUS
Is adaptive voltage broke for the Maximus hero viii? I previously had it working perfectly but now using the 1701 bios its behavior is erratic. Currently I have it set to 1.375 with a positive offset of 0.002V. This yields the voltage of 1.424V that I am aiming for. However when I input 1.4V with a positive offset of .02V the voltage skyrockets to 1.5+V. I've dealt with adaptive voltage in the past but never experienced anything like this. Changing bios and doing clcmos didn't help. Any advice?


Always destroying exergy

Try without the offset and see if it gives you what you set. I usually don't use an offset with adaptive - no need for me to do so.
Setting voltage to 1.4V in bios without an offset shows Vcore of 1.46ish volts on load. Setting a negative offset of .04V brings it down to 1.424V on load. With LLC5 this just seems very odd. It's responding to the voltage I am demanding just not correctly.


Always destroying exergy
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › ASUS North America - ASUS Z170 Motherboards Q&A Thread