Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Skylake Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skylake Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] - Page 560

post #5591 of 11313
Quote:
Originally Posted by ManofGod1000 View Post

Do you guys find that you have to up your DRAM voltage even at stock settings just to keep things stable? (I7-6700k, Gigabyte Z170X Gaming 7 and 4 x 8GB of DDR 4 GSkill ram at 2400MHz.) For instance, I have to up the voltage on the ram from the stock of 1.2v to 1.3v just to keep the stupid you overclock is unstable message from showing on boot up randomly. (This happens even with 2 sticks of ram in slots 2 and 4 at 2133 speeds.) Perhaps my CPU is failing or just simply bad?

It depends on the RAM kit. Its common on Z170.
post #5592 of 11313
Kind of same here (6700k & 4x4GB sticks Kingston predator) - two sticks run fine at 3000mhz/15cas by just loading the XMP profile, but still can't figure how to make them all four stable...
Also, all four do run stable 2667mhz/14cas @1.35v via XMP, tired manually bumping voltage and vccio and sa but no results yet.

Will give it a few more shots, as I'm sure it's just a thing I'm not getting right, since I recently switched from gigabye to asus for the first time and all looks new and strange now redface.gif so any advice is welcome thumb.gif

skylake looks cool btw, got to 4.6ghz @ 1.28v quite easy, and temps are amazing, so could say it does look like an improvement even coming from a 4.8 DC chip
in progress...
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASUS Maximus Hero VIII GTX Titan 6GB & iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra cooler HyperX Savage 32GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2X128GB LiteOn SDD 1.0 TB WD Caviar Blue 1.0 TB WD Caviar Blue 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
CM Nepton 240M Win 7 x64 Dell U2412M  Dell U2312HM 
PowerCase
CM V850 CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
in progress...
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASUS Maximus Hero VIII GTX Titan 6GB & iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra cooler HyperX Savage 32GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2X128GB LiteOn SDD 1.0 TB WD Caviar Blue 1.0 TB WD Caviar Blue 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
CM Nepton 240M Win 7 x64 Dell U2412M  Dell U2312HM 
PowerCase
CM V850 CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5593 of 11313
A few questions on the RAM overclocking

1. How much of an improvement do you see in overclocking, trying to figure out if it's worth it. I have 16 GB Ripjaw V DDR4 3000. Mainly gaming.
2. Anyone have a guide they really like that explains all the timings and how to actually change the latency stuff? Not really sure where to start.
3. Does the amount overclocked give a linear increase in performance?
post #5594 of 11313
Guys, I have run LinX with 30 000 task and received 78 C maximum (in stock frequency).


Now I`m thinking about change thermal interface via removing IHS (looks like in this video)What do you think ?
post #5595 of 11313
Quote:
Originally Posted by nSone View Post

Kind of same here (6700k & 4x4GB sticks Kingston predator) - two sticks run fine at 3000mhz/15cas by just loading the XMP profile, but still can't figure how to make them all four stable...
Also, all four do run stable 2667mhz/14cas @1.35v via XMP, tired manually bumping voltage and vccio and sa but no results yet.

Will give it a few more shots, as I'm sure it's just a thing I'm not getting right, since I recently switched from gigabye to asus for the first time and all looks new and strange now redface.gif so any advice is welcome thumb.gif

skylake looks cool btw, got to 4.6ghz @ 1.28v quite easy, and temps are amazing, so could say it does look like an improvement even coming from a 4.8 DC chip

What did you try in terms of DRAM voltage, VCCIO & Sa..?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dreaden View Post

A few questions on the RAM overclocking

1. How much of an improvement do you see in overclocking, trying to figure out if it's worth it. I have 16 GB Ripjaw V DDR4 3000. Mainly gaming.
2. Anyone have a guide they really like that explains all the timings and how to actually change the latency stuff? Not really sure where to start.
3. Does the amount overclocked give a linear increase in performance?

1) Look here, http://www.overclock.net/t/1586767/digital-foundry-memory-overclocking-and-how-it-affects-fps-in-8-different-games
Short version there are minor benefits. Worth it? I'd say no. But if you like tinkering with your system to extract every last bit of performance, than maybe. RAM overclocking can be a bit hard.

2) http://www.overclock.net/t/1569364/official-skylake-haswell-e-24-7-ddr4-memory-stability-thread
Check the Spoiler in OP for a rough idea.

3) NO.
post #5596 of 11313
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt123 View Post

What did you try in terms of DRAM voltage, VCCIO & Sa..?
1) Look here, http://www.overclock.net/t/1586767/digital-foundry-memory-overclocking-and-how-it-affects-fps-in-8-different-games
Short version there are minor benefits. Worth it? I'd say no. But if you like tinkering with your system to extract every last bit of performance, than maybe. RAM overclocking can be a bit hard.

2) http://www.overclock.net/t/1569364/official-skylake-haswell-e-24-7-ddr4-memory-stability-thread
Check the Spoiler in OP for a rough idea.

3) NO.
Thanks for the reply bud


I do love tho thinker, and skylake does look like lots of fun so that's what I've been doing since that post (minus couple hours sleep biggrin.gif)

Right now I'm at 2933mhz|CL14 @ 1.35v vccio 1.2 / SA 1.225
To get the xmp 3000mhz|CL15 working for all 4x4gb sticks requires more than 1.44v dram voltage, idk why... anyways I'm good for now, will look more into it later
Edited by nSone - 2/7/16 at 10:00am
in progress...
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASUS Maximus Hero VIII GTX Titan 6GB & iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra cooler HyperX Savage 32GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2X128GB LiteOn SDD 1.0 TB WD Caviar Blue 1.0 TB WD Caviar Blue 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
CM Nepton 240M Win 7 x64 Dell U2412M  Dell U2312HM 
PowerCase
CM V850 CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
in progress...
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASUS Maximus Hero VIII GTX Titan 6GB & iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra cooler HyperX Savage 32GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2X128GB LiteOn SDD 1.0 TB WD Caviar Blue 1.0 TB WD Caviar Blue 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
CM Nepton 240M Win 7 x64 Dell U2412M  Dell U2312HM 
PowerCase
CM V850 CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5597 of 11313
This is why i bought 32 GB in the 16x2 sticks. I've always had trouble with 4 channels.
post #5598 of 11313
Quote:
Originally Posted by nSone View Post

Thanks for the reply bud


I do love tho thinker, and skylake does look like lots of fun so that's what I've been doing since that post (minus couple hours sleep biggrin.gif)

Right now I'm at 2933mhz|CL14 @ 1.35v vccio 1.2 / SA 1.225
To get the xmp 3000mhz|CL15 working for all 4x4gb sticks requires more than 1.44v dram voltage, idk why... anyways I'm good for now, will look more into it later

Part of the reason for the high Voltage requirement is because, that kit is probably binned for X99.
Try 1.25V VCCIO & 1.3V SA, to see if it helps. Also Maximus Tweak Mode set to Mode 1, in DRAM Timing Configuration Tab.
post #5599 of 11313
Quote:
Originally Posted by rt123 View Post

Part of the reason for the high Voltage requirement is because, that kit is probably binned for X99.
Try 1.25V VCCIO & 1.3V SA, to see if it helps. Also Maximus Tweak Mode set to Mode 1, in DRAM Timing Configuration Tab.

SPOT ON! thumb.gif you know your stuff friend



It's those stuff I'm lost at, "Maximus Tweak Mode 1" ahaha
Are those voltages fine for 24/7? as I read they're in the upper bound.

If anyone has a link or smt for a skylake guide for the asus bios terms, please let me know.

**edit - found one https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33488-Maximus-VI-Series-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking

The z87 one was awesome, had z87x-oc and when I just got the hang of every bit, my mobo died out of nowhere... redface.gif

+REP!
Edited by nSone - 2/7/16 at 11:41am
in progress...
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASUS Maximus Hero VIII GTX Titan 6GB & iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra cooler HyperX Savage 32GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2X128GB LiteOn SDD 1.0 TB WD Caviar Blue 1.0 TB WD Caviar Blue 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
CM Nepton 240M Win 7 x64 Dell U2412M  Dell U2312HM 
PowerCase
CM V850 CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
in progress...
(14 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K ASUS Maximus Hero VIII GTX Titan 6GB & iChill HerculeZ X3 Ultra cooler HyperX Savage 32GB  
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
500GB Samsung 850 Evo 2X128GB LiteOn SDD 1.0 TB WD Caviar Blue 1.0 TB WD Caviar Blue 
CoolingOSMonitorMonitor
CM Nepton 240M Win 7 x64 Dell U2412M  Dell U2312HM 
PowerCase
CM V850 CM HAF 922 
  hide details  
Reply
post #5600 of 11313
Quote:
Originally Posted by nSone View Post

SPOT ON! thumb.gif you know your stuff friend



It's those stuff I'm lost at, "Maximus Tweak Mode 1" ahaha
Are those voltages fine for 24/7? as I read they're in the upper bound.

If anyone has a link or smt for a skylake guide for the asus bios terms, please let me know.

**edit - found one https://rog.asus.com/forum/showthread.php?33488-Maximus-VI-Series-UEFI-Guide-for-Overclocking

The z87 one was awesome, had z87x-oc and when I just got the hang of every bit, my mobo died out of nowhere... redface.gif

+REP!


Glad you got it working. thumb.gif
Those voltages are a tad bit high, but are in no way the upper bound. However, if you want to, you can try slowly decreasing them, testing as you go, till you loose stability.
I would start with lowering SA first.

This video will walk you through the basics of Asus Advance mode UEFI,
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4axNLL3X4_Y
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Skylake Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]