Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Skylake Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Skylake Overclocking Guide [With Statistics] - Page 882

post #8811 of 11359
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrgnex View Post

Well IBT works fine for me. It is actually faster and better for me than any other program I used. So I'll stick to it.

it works fine if the common cause of failure for a given IC is thermal based (eg, as the temp raises, all ICs become less stable at what ever they are designed to do, that's why a spec sheet lists a thermal AOR). Beyond that, IBT basically only loads the floating point unit. End result is you have an OC that is, unnecessarily, 100-200MHz lower frequency, not because the higher clocks are failing for inability to process successfully at the higher freq and voltage, but because the cooling cannot shed the heat from the processor fast enough leading to signal loss (alignment across domains, and fidelity within a domain). This is the reason why delidding these CPUs nets 100-200MHz in OC on average.

After running IBT, try running HCI memtest to 500 or 1000% (according to the author's instructions) so you have a stability protocol that covers more of the architecture (cache, IO, ram... etc). smile.gif
x99
(22 items)
 
Z370
(8 items)
 
x299
(18 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7 5960X i7 6950X Asus Rampage V Extreme 10 2 GTX Titan X Pascal 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
GSkill 3200c14 TZs 8x8GB @ 3400c13 Intel 750 NVMe 400GB 2x Plextor SSD 256 Raid 0 (Win 7) Samsung NVMe 950 Pro M.2 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Plextor 810 2x XSPC RX360 Koolance 380i D5 
CoolingOSOSOS
Aquaero 6 Windows 10 x64  Windows 7 Pro Linux Mint 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Seiki 50" 4K monitor (720P-2160i) 240-30Hz Das Keyboard Model S Pro Corsair AX1200 Case Labs SM8 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Rival Ultimate Ears TF10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8700K ASUS Maximus X Apex GTX 1080 2x8 GB G.Skill 4400c19 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Samsung 960 Pro 360Rad + Chiller Win 10 HWBOT OBT 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
7740X 7980XE ASUS Rampage Vi Apex 2x Nvidia Titan Xp SLi 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill 3600c15 2x8GB kits Samsung 960 Pro, NVMe WD Raptor 1T Plextor SSDs Raid 0 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
Plextor DVD/BR R/W (very) Custom Water Windows 10 Pro Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 144Hz Ducky Corsair 1500i Microcool Benchetto 101 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Rival Ultimate ears TF10s (IEMs) 
  hide details  
Reply
x99
(22 items)
 
Z370
(8 items)
 
x299
(18 items)
 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
i7 5960X i7 6950X Asus Rampage V Extreme 10 2 GTX Titan X Pascal 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
GSkill 3200c14 TZs 8x8GB @ 3400c13 Intel 750 NVMe 400GB 2x Plextor SSD 256 Raid 0 (Win 7) Samsung NVMe 950 Pro M.2 
Optical DriveCoolingCoolingCooling
Plextor 810 2x XSPC RX360 Koolance 380i D5 
CoolingOSOSOS
Aquaero 6 Windows 10 x64  Windows 7 Pro Linux Mint 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Seiki 50" 4K monitor (720P-2160i) 240-30Hz Das Keyboard Model S Pro Corsair AX1200 Case Labs SM8 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Rival Ultimate Ears TF10 
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
8700K ASUS Maximus X Apex GTX 1080 2x8 GB G.Skill 4400c19 
Hard DriveCoolingOSCase
Samsung 960 Pro 360Rad + Chiller Win 10 HWBOT OBT 
CPUCPUMotherboardGraphics
7740X 7980XE ASUS Rampage Vi Apex 2x Nvidia Titan Xp SLi 
RAMHard DriveHard DriveHard Drive
G.Skill 3600c15 2x8GB kits Samsung 960 Pro, NVMe WD Raptor 1T Plextor SSDs Raid 0 
Optical DriveCoolingOSOS
Plextor DVD/BR R/W (very) Custom Water Windows 10 Pro Windows 7 Pro 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
ASUS 144Hz Ducky Corsair 1500i Microcool Benchetto 101 
MouseAudio
Steelseries Rival Ultimate ears TF10s (IEMs) 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8812 of 11359
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpmboy View Post

it works fine if the common cause of failure for a given IC is thermal based (eg, as the temp raises, all ICs become less stable at what ever they are designed to do, that's why a spec sheet lists a thermal AOR). Beyond that, IBT basically only loads the floating point unit. End result is you have an OC that is, unnecessarily, 100-200MHz lower frequency, not because the higher clocks are failing for inability to process successfully at the higher freq and voltage, but because the cooling cannot shed the heat from the processor fast enough leading to signal loss (alignment across domains, and fidelity within a domain). This is the reason why delidding these CPUs nets 100-200MHz in OC on average.

After running IBT, try running HCI memtest to 500 or 1000% (according to the author's instructions) so you have a stability protocol that covers more of the architecture (cache, IO, ram... etc). smile.gif
I never said it was the ONLY test to use. There is no 1 test that will guarantee stability. I always do 20 runs ibt max ram (16gb) more runs if less ram. Then my old go to was p95 but skylake or p95 is having issues with my system (have to re-test as I discovered rivatuner was causing driver crashes which could be linked to my p95 issues). With skylake I have gone with 1 hour OCCT linpack and all virtual cores enabled them 8 hours of x264 16 threads normal priority and this setup has seemed to be working well for me.
MyRig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k @4.5ghz 1.29v ASUS X99-e MSI RX 480 8gb @1475 core 2150 memory 1.25v NZX... 4x4gb G.Skill Ripjaw 4 2400c15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb Samsung 850 EVO 500gb Game Drive Seagate 1.5tb Storage Drive Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 64bit LG 2560x1080 75hz Ultrawide Logitech G410 EVGA SuperNova 750G2 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT H440 Black Logitech G500S Creative Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
MyRig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k @4.5ghz 1.29v ASUS X99-e MSI RX 480 8gb @1475 core 2150 memory 1.25v NZX... 4x4gb G.Skill Ripjaw 4 2400c15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb Samsung 850 EVO 500gb Game Drive Seagate 1.5tb Storage Drive Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 64bit LG 2560x1080 75hz Ultrawide Logitech G410 EVGA SuperNova 750G2 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT H440 Black Logitech G500S Creative Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8813 of 11359
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post

All right well I wanted to say thanks for this thread. Yesterday evening I starting doing some legit overclocking to my 6700K; previously, had been using the auto settings in my UEFI. Was running at 4.8 GHz and DDR4 3200 and seemed perfectly stable; could game for my hour or two that I could squeeze in, pass 3DMark and Cinebench and Heaven/Valley. Then I found this thread and the stability tools in the first post and all of a sudden I saw it wasn't really stable at all. 3 seconds into OCCT, crash. 0.3% in x264, crash. And it wasn't temperature related at all, it was just obviously generating errors.

So yesterday afternoon I got to playing; first proved it could pass single runs at fully stock speeds and then I did my first overnight run (40 loops got me to within a few minutes of waking up this morning) with the UEFI set to CPU Ratio 44, voltage at 1.350, stock on the memory and LLC from Auto to 3 (ASRock's UEFI is backwards so 4 is actually lowest, 3 is one step up so pretty minimal compensation). And it passed. Awesome.

So this afternoon I'll be upgrading my fans from the AF140s that came in my case to Noctua NF-A14 PWMs (had previously purchased but they didn't all show up at the same time; not really related to overclocking but one of the AF140s that is in the front of my Air 540 has a bad bearing so they're all getting replaced). And then I'll try another overnight run and see how it does at 45 or maybe 46 at the same voltage setting.

But I'm off to the races so cool smile.gif

Got the Noctua fans installed last night - man, they're quiet. Stable now at 4.6 GHz and stock RAM; doing testing at 4.6 GHz with RAM manually set to XMP equivalent settings now. Had done 10 loops when I left and it was going fine; running 74 loops which at ~8.2 minutes per is just about 10 hours. With the RAM at 3200 instead of 2133 I was getting 0.05 higher FPS so 74 loops may take less time; but it won't be that much shorter that it'll matter.

Here's from this morning at completion of the 4.6 GHz test:

35ed10d2_46ghz.png
post #8814 of 11359
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post

Got the Noctua fans installed last night - man, they're quiet. Stable now at 4.6 GHz and stock RAM; doing testing at 4.6 GHz with RAM manually set to XMP equivalent settings now. Had done 10 loops when I left and it was going fine; running 74 loops which at ~8.2 minutes per is just about 10 hours. With the RAM at 3200 instead of 2133 I was getting 0.05 higher FPS so 74 loops may take less time; but it won't be that much shorter that it'll matter.

Here's from this morning at completion of the 4.6 GHz test:

35ed10d2_46ghz.png
What's the reason for manually setting ram instead of using xmp ?
MyRig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k @4.5ghz 1.29v ASUS X99-e MSI RX 480 8gb @1475 core 2150 memory 1.25v NZX... 4x4gb G.Skill Ripjaw 4 2400c15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb Samsung 850 EVO 500gb Game Drive Seagate 1.5tb Storage Drive Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 64bit LG 2560x1080 75hz Ultrawide Logitech G410 EVGA SuperNova 750G2 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT H440 Black Logitech G500S Creative Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
MyRig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k @4.5ghz 1.29v ASUS X99-e MSI RX 480 8gb @1475 core 2150 memory 1.25v NZX... 4x4gb G.Skill Ripjaw 4 2400c15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb Samsung 850 EVO 500gb Game Drive Seagate 1.5tb Storage Drive Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 64bit LG 2560x1080 75hz Ultrawide Logitech G410 EVGA SuperNova 750G2 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT H440 Black Logitech G500S Creative Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8815 of 11359
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOODedDutchman View Post

What's the reason for manually setting ram instead of using xmp ?

I get instacrash at stock CPU with RAM on XMP in any meaningful stress test mentioned in the guide at the top of this thread; not sure if the motherboard bumps up the BCLK when XMP is enabled (I guess some do that) or what but same settings set manually and it seems to be perfectly stable by the time I left for work this morning (it had been running a bit over an hour at that point).
post #8816 of 11359
Quote:
Originally Posted by phobos512 View Post

I get instacrash at stock CPU with RAM on XMP in any meaningful stress test mentioned in the guide at the top of this thread; not sure if the motherboard bumps up the BCLK when XMP is enabled (I guess some do that) or what but same settings set manually and it seems to be perfectly stable by the time I left for work this morning (it had been running a bit over an hour at that point).
Xmp probably setting vccsa too low when you enable it. Just leaving it auto with 3200mhz is probably overvolting the crap out of vccsa and vccio for stability. See what auto vccsa and vccio are when you get home then enable xmp and go back into bios and see what xmp sets them to.
MyRig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k @4.5ghz 1.29v ASUS X99-e MSI RX 480 8gb @1475 core 2150 memory 1.25v NZX... 4x4gb G.Skill Ripjaw 4 2400c15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb Samsung 850 EVO 500gb Game Drive Seagate 1.5tb Storage Drive Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 64bit LG 2560x1080 75hz Ultrawide Logitech G410 EVGA SuperNova 750G2 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT H440 Black Logitech G500S Creative Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
MyRig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k @4.5ghz 1.29v ASUS X99-e MSI RX 480 8gb @1475 core 2150 memory 1.25v NZX... 4x4gb G.Skill Ripjaw 4 2400c15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb Samsung 850 EVO 500gb Game Drive Seagate 1.5tb Storage Drive Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 64bit LG 2560x1080 75hz Ultrawide Logitech G410 EVGA SuperNova 750G2 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT H440 Black Logitech G500S Creative Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8817 of 11359
Quote:
Originally Posted by HOODedDutchman View Post

Xmp probably setting vccsa too low when you enable it. Just leaving it auto with 3200mhz is probably overvolting the crap out of vccsa and vccio for stability. See what auto vccsa and vccio are when you get home then enable xmp and go back into bios and see what xmp sets them to.

That could very well be; unfortunately, I won't have any time to fiddle around until next week, other than taking a screenshot of the completed runs when I get home, because we're heading out of town for the weekend for Big SoCal Euro in San Diego. I'll make a note to check it out though; could be helpful for other folks playing around with this board in the future.
post #8818 of 11359
Hope you guys can tell if it is normal with 1.2x in VCCSA and 1.1x in VCCIO. Its 2666MHZ ddr4 ram with XMP profile and 4.5GHz I7-6700k using z170 pro gaming motherboard. Shouldn't it be much lower? Will lower give me better CPU overclock potential?

post #8819 of 11359
Quote:
Originally Posted by calebdk View Post

Hope you guys can tell if it is normal with 1.2x in VCCSA and 1.1x in VCCIO. Its 2666MHZ ddr4 ram with XMP profile and 4.5GHz I7-6700k using z170 pro gaming motherboard. Shouldn't it be much lower? Will lower give me better CPU overclock potential?

Those are auto settings ? If mine auto to that after enable xmp I would of left it auto. Mine defaulted to 1.28v and 1.16 for vccsa and vccio. So I lowered mine. That's also with 2666mhz ram.
MyRig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k @4.5ghz 1.29v ASUS X99-e MSI RX 480 8gb @1475 core 2150 memory 1.25v NZX... 4x4gb G.Skill Ripjaw 4 2400c15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb Samsung 850 EVO 500gb Game Drive Seagate 1.5tb Storage Drive Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 64bit LG 2560x1080 75hz Ultrawide Logitech G410 EVGA SuperNova 750G2 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT H440 Black Logitech G500S Creative Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
MyRig
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
5820k @4.5ghz 1.29v ASUS X99-e MSI RX 480 8gb @1475 core 2150 memory 1.25v NZX... 4x4gb G.Skill Ripjaw 4 2400c15 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 EVO 250gb Samsung 850 EVO 500gb Game Drive Seagate 1.5tb Storage Drive Corsair H115i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Win10 64bit LG 2560x1080 75hz Ultrawide Logitech G410 EVGA SuperNova 750G2 
CaseMouseAudio
NZXT H440 Black Logitech G500S Creative Sound Blaster Z 
  hide details  
Reply
post #8820 of 11359
My 6700k died and I was wondering if an ME FW error could have been caused by the overclock?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel CPUs
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel CPUs › Skylake Overclocking Guide [With Statistics]