Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Gigabyte Z170 \ H170 \ B150 Discussion, Help and Owners Club ( Ultra durable and Gaming editions )
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Gigabyte Z170 \ H170 \ B150 Discussion, Help and Owners Club ( Ultra durable and Gaming editions ) - Page 90

post #891 of 1694
I'm interested in a Gigabyte Z170 motherboard. Well priced and nice features. Anyone have an idea as to what Gigabyte mobo is the most reliable? I was interested in the Gaming 7 but there's a good amount of folks having issues with the Creative onboard sound. I'll be using a Creative ZXR but I'd still like to know that I can rely on the onboard + I'd like to use that LED effect called "Beat Mode" since I listen to a lot of music and I think the LED effect is cool. Pretty sure it only works when using the onboard sound though am I right?
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4.1Ghz GA-AX370-Gaming K7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4.1Ghz GA-AX370-Gaming K7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
post #892 of 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by GridIroN View Post

Does anyone have any idea why my Gaming 5 will sometimes not post? Instead I'll get all the lights and fans on, but the board shows no post codes. I have to shut the power off by the rear PSU, let it sit and try it again.

I see reading through here some people were able to solve it with voltages, but I've uped most of my voltages were significantly upped and I'm actually getting it more often these days.

Here's some BIOS screens...






I don't know the answer to your problems, but I guess I am one of the lucky ones. My 6600k OC's to 4.5Ghz with 1.24v stable in P95 (though I haven't ran it overnight).

I would imagine your post issues are due to memory (as they usually are). Does it post with the XMP disabled and set to defaults?
Skylake Build
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600k Gigabyte Z-170 Gaming 7 Gigabyte R9 390  Gskill Ripjaws V DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i Windows 10 Pro Asus  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic EVGA NEX750 G1 Phanteks Eclipse P400 GSkill MX780 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake Build
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600k Gigabyte Z-170 Gaming 7 Gigabyte R9 390  Gskill Ripjaws V DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i Windows 10 Pro Asus  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic EVGA NEX750 G1 Phanteks Eclipse P400 GSkill MX780 
  hide details  
Reply
post #893 of 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

I'm interested in a Gigabyte Z170 motherboard. Well priced and nice features. Anyone have an idea as to what Gigabyte mobo is the most reliable? I was interested in the Gaming 7 but there's a good amount of folks having issues with the Creative onboard sound. I'll be using a Creative ZXR but I'd still like to know that I can rely on the onboard + I'd like to use that LED effect called "Beat Mode" since I listen to a lot of music and I think the LED effect is cool. Pretty sure it only works when using the onboard sound though am I right?

I own the gaming 7 and I am one of the people with broken sound. However, it can be fixed by disabling some features in the creative studio software, which has made it a non-issue for me. However, if you are someone who needs EQ's and all the other adjustment settings, I would not recommend this board until GB/Creative fix it. Good news is that it does appear to be a result of crappy drivers from Creative and not a hardware issue.

Gigabyte has not acknowledged publicly that there's an issue, which has ticked a lot of us off. However, their actions speak for themselves because with their upcoming boards exhibited at Computex, they have dropped Creative and went back to Realtek. I doubt this is a coincidence.
Skylake Build
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600k Gigabyte Z-170 Gaming 7 Gigabyte R9 390  Gskill Ripjaws V DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i Windows 10 Pro Asus  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic EVGA NEX750 G1 Phanteks Eclipse P400 GSkill MX780 
  hide details  
Reply
Skylake Build
(12 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
Intel Core i5-6600k Gigabyte Z-170 Gaming 7 Gigabyte R9 390  Gskill Ripjaws V DDR4 
Hard DriveCoolingOSMonitor
Samsung 850 Evo Corsair H115i Windows 10 Pro Asus  
KeyboardPowerCaseMouse
Generic EVGA NEX750 G1 Phanteks Eclipse P400 GSkill MX780 
  hide details  
Reply
post #894 of 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiussat View Post

I don't know the answer to your problems, but I guess I am one of the lucky ones. My 6600k OC's to 4.5Ghz with 1.24v stable in P95 (though I haven't ran it overnight).

I would imagine your post issues are due to memory (as they usually are). Does it post with the XMP disabled and set to defaults?

It posts in all configurations, the issue is that it sometimes does not.
post #895 of 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by thiussat View Post

I own the gaming 7 and I am one of the people with broken sound. However, it can be fixed by disabling some features in the creative studio software, which has made it a non-issue for me. However, if you are someone who needs EQ's and all the other adjustment settings, I would not recommend this board until GB/Creative fix it. Good news is that it does appear to be a result of crappy drivers from Creative and not a hardware issue.

Gigabyte has not acknowledged publicly that there's an issue, which has ticked a lot of us off. However, their actions speak for themselves because with their upcoming boards exhibited at Computex, they have dropped Creative and went back to Realtek. I doubt this is a coincidence.
Thanks for responding. I'm going to look for a different board then. It's too bad about the onboard audio. Pretty much a perfect board otherwise.

BTW, nice observation in regards to GB's new boards. There's a reason for everything...
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4.1Ghz GA-AX370-Gaming K7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
Gaming PC
(17 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
AMD RYZEN R7 1800X @4.1Ghz GA-AX370-Gaming K7 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black Edition G.SKILL TridentZ RGB Series 16GB (2 x 8GB) 3200... 
Hard DriveHard DriveHard DriveCooling
Samsung 840 Pro 256GB SSD Samsung 850 Pro 512GB SSD Samsung 850 EVO 1TB SSD Corsair H100i 
OSMonitorKeyboardPower
Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit Samsung 49KS8000 Corsair K70 RGB Corsair AX1200i 
CaseMouseMouse PadAudio
Cooler Master Mastercase Maker 5  Corsair M65 RGB Custom SF 49ERS mouse pad Philips X1 headphones with V-MODA BoomPro mic 
Audio
Sound BlasterX Katana 
  hide details  
Reply
post #896 of 1694
Hello !

I am new here

Just purchase i3 6100 and Z170M-D3H (came with Bios F5)

Any idea for me to get start overclocking?
CSC Skylake Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 6100 GA Z170M-D3H RX 480 Kingston Hyper X Fury  
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
PNY 1131 Windows 10 BenQ GW2470  Corsair GS650 
Case
Corsair Air240 
  hide details  
Reply
CSC Skylake Rig
(10 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i3 6100 GA Z170M-D3H RX 480 Kingston Hyper X Fury  
Hard DriveOSMonitorPower
PNY 1131 Windows 10 BenQ GW2470  Corsair GS650 
Case
Corsair Air240 
  hide details  
Reply
post #897 of 1694
I'm about to do a clean install of Windows 10 on my new Z170x Gaming 7. I'm pretty new at this so could somebody answer a few questions before I begin?

1) I was told to check to see if ACPI 2.0 or newer is in the UEFI/BIOS and enable it if it is there, if not then don't worry about it. How would I do that with this motherboard?

2) I was also told to ensure I install Windows 10 in UEFI mode using GPT. Is there anything I have to change in my motherboard settings before I install Windows 10 to make sure these are set correctly, or is everything already set correctly by default?

3) According to this page, there is an alternate display mode for the BIOS called HD UEFI. I can't find anything out in the manual on how to view in this mode: Am I missing something?

http://www.bjorn3d.com/2015/09/gigabyte-ga-z170x-gaming-7/2/

Also, relating to UEFI settings, in the manual I found this setting and I'm wondering if I should change it or leave it alone before I install Windows 10:

Storage Boot Option Control
Allows you to select whether to enable the UEFI or legacy option ROM for the storage device controller.
- Disabled Disables option ROM.
- Legacy Only Enables legacy option ROM only. (Default)
- UEFI Only Enables UEFI option ROM only. -- Should this be enabled?
This item is configurable only when CSM Support is set to Enabled.
Edited by miles17 - 6/23/16 at 8:02am
post #898 of 1694
Also, I have all the drivers and APP Center software for my Gaming 7 motherboard already downloaded from Gigabyte's website. But I see the BIOS has xpress install which can install the drivers and APP Center Software automatically. Am I better off letting xpress install do it, or should I just do it manually?
post #899 of 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by DADDYDC650 View Post

Thanks for responding. I'm going to look for a different board then. It's too bad about the onboard audio. Pretty much a perfect board otherwise.

BTW, nice observation in regards to GB's new boards. There's a reason for everything...

I've bought two hi-end Gigabyte boards - their Z87 G1 Sniper 5, and their GA-Z170X-Gaming GT board and on neither of those did I use the on-board sound. Simply stuck to my dedicated Creative ZXR card which worked/works without issue on both boards. My point? I still don't buy boards based on their soundcard tech. In other words the over-hyperzation of the soundcard tech on the boards was never a factor in choosing either board.

My greater point... ignore the on-board soundcard and look at other features. I like love Gigabyte motherboards (owning 3: X58A, Z87, Z170X) but I don't buy them for their sound tech.

That said, After moving my Z87 (G1 Sniper 5) to my backup system, I now find that the on-board soundcard is acting strange where it tends to magically disappear. Never noticed this before, because when it was part of my main system I used my dedicated ZXR soundcard. Now that I have to actually use the on-board soundcard of the Z87 (Creative's Sound Core 3D).... issues wth.gif

Not a problem though as I'll just throw in my Creative Titanium soundcard. Issue solved.
post #900 of 1694
Quote:
Originally Posted by sygnus21 View Post

I've bought two hi-end Gigabyte boards - their Z87 G1 Sniper 5, and their GA-Z170X-Gaming GT board and on neither of those did I use the on-board sound. Simply stuck to my dedicated Creative ZXR card which worked/works without issue on both boards. My point? I still don't buy boards based on their soundcard tech. In other words the over-hyperzation of the soundcard tech on the boards was never a factor in choosing either board.

My greater point... ignore the on-board soundcard and look at other features. I like love Gigabyte motherboards (owning 3: X58A, Z87, Z170X) but I don't buy them for their sound tech.

That said, After moving my Z87 (G1 Sniper 5) to my backup system, I now find that the on-board soundcard is acting strange where it tends to magically disappear. Never noticed this before, because when it was part of my main system I used my dedicated ZXR soundcard. Now that I have to actually use the on-board soundcard of the Z87 (Creative's Sound Core 3D).... issues wth.gif

Not a problem though as I'll just throw in my Creative Titanium soundcard. Issue solved.

I didn't buy my board for its sound card, but it was a nice extra and sounds better than the RealTek that was on my last board...

That being said, what is the advantage to a dedicated ZxR when compared to the ZxRi on the Gaming G1? I can't find any solid data on that... I mean quality wise, not the obvious stuff like the dedicated card can be moved to other machines when upgrading...
Vulcan
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K Gigagyte Z170X Gaming G1 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black 32GB DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
512GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD LG BluRay Burner Corsair H110i Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410x3 Das Keyboard Professional - Cherry MX Blue Antec HCP 850W Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow 
MouseMouse PadAudio
SteelSeries Sensi SteelSeries  Harmon Kardon Soundsticks III 
  hide details  
Reply
Vulcan
(15 items)
 
  
CPUMotherboardGraphicsRAM
i7 6700K Gigagyte Z170X Gaming G1 EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black 32GB DDR4 
Hard DriveOptical DriveCoolingOS
512GB Samsung 950 Pro NVMe SSD LG BluRay Burner Corsair H110i Windows 10 x64 Enterprise 
MonitorKeyboardPowerCase
Dell U2410x3 Das Keyboard Professional - Cherry MX Blue Antec HCP 850W Corsair Obsidian 750D Airflow 
MouseMouse PadAudio
SteelSeries Sensi SteelSeries  Harmon Kardon Soundsticks III 
  hide details  
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Intel Motherboards
Overclock.net › Forums › Intel › Intel Motherboards › Gigabyte Z170 \ H170 \ B150 Discussion, Help and Owners Club ( Ultra durable and Gaming editions )