Sup fellow overclockers
After a couple of weeks of getting into OC'ing (by reading, researching and learning about) this beast, I think I've reached the limit of the Core Clock on my first GPU.
During GPU load:
GPU Boost clock is at 1507 MHz
Max measured GPU power: 104%
Max measured fan speed: 60%
Max Core temp: 69°C (open case on air at 20°C ambient)
MSI AB settings:
+102 MHz Core Clock
+50 mV Core Voltage
-100 mV Aux Voltage
+25 mV Memory
MSI AB reported voltage: 1.212 V (during load)
Actual measured voltage using a multimeter (including vdroop): 1.175 V (during load)
I've created a modified bios where I adjusted the following things:
- disabled GPU boost 2.0 voltage limit (when Core Voltage is adjusted by +50 mV)
- setting GPU boost to 1405 MHz
- custom fan curve 0% til 50°C, 80% at 72°C, 100% at 85°C.
- increased maximum power limit to 167% (although at this time this isn't really benefiting my OC...)
At 1507MHz it is absolutely stable (Fire Strike Extreme - Graphics 1 and Graphics 2 on loop of 7+ hours each).
At 1519MHz it is 'mostly' stable.
At 1532MHz it is not stable (consistent crashing during FFXIV Heavensward benchmark).
Things I've tried to prevent crashing with a higher Core Clock:
- 100% fan speed, lowers Core temp from around 68°C to 51°C, this still resulted in a crash during FFXIV Heavensward but at a later point
- increase Core Voltage by changing to MSI extended and changing voltage in steps of +12.5 mV until I've reached the 'maximum' of 1.3V, resulting in crashes at (almost) the exact same point during FFXIV Heavensward
- decreased Memory Voltage to -50 mV, in the hope it would make higher Core Clocks more stable
I might still try fiddling with boost states values in the bios tweaker to get a higher stable Core Clock, but that seems to have a small chance of resulting in anything.
I could try to obtain a special MSI AB version where I can lower the aux further than -100 mV (or could try to do the hack via a debugger) and see if this might help.
I feel like I can't really get to the real potential of this card and it seems that I might be missing something?
Would you suggest moving on to finding the Memory Clock OC limit of this GPU?
Or if any of you have other suggestions that would be appreciated Edited by n2k3 - 3/9/17 at 3:33pm